[DEVS ONLY] Nexus 4 camera recording v0.2 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (60FPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Logi_Ca1

Jun 29, 2011
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)

Shaky: if 60fps capability is kernel dependent how about studying the Padfone 2 or Xiaomi M2 kernel sources for it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)

Shaky: if 60fps capability is kernel dependent how about studying the Padfone 2 or Xiaomi M2 kernel sources for it?

It isnt kernel dependant ive hacked the kernel for this to happen theres other ways of achieving the same result

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park

60fps is a matter of opinion. Personally I deinterlace all my 30i media to 60p, and it looks great. 24fps (or rather, 23.976fps) in cinema is just a matter of tradition, rather than any technical superiority. We might see this trend changing soon with The Hobbit being recorded at 48fps.

Anyway, the Padfone 2 with the same APQ8064 is capable of 720p at 60fps, so unless the hardware limitation you are talking about is with the camera module, the hardware encoder in the APQ8064 should be capable of 720p 60fps recording.

Well if someone is dedicated to quality so much that they deinterlace video frames and such - I doubt they're recording video at 720p (1080i) when 1080p is an option.

Yes the hobbit was filmed at 48fps but if I recall - it was at test. Hollywood adopts at a very slow rate as I'm sure we all know. So it will certainly be some time before the standard raises above 24. If that were the case then they'd be using other experimental FPS like 100 or higher.

I'm not I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool or that some enthusiasts might would be thrilled about 60fps. I just don't think it will make much of a difference. Just my opinion. Now, certainly there are *some* out there that can hit 60 but MOST can not. The SII couldn't, neither can the LTE SIII. I don't recall the One X being able too either.

Audioboxer

Aug 24, 2010

Fantastic work, wish you all the best. I'm surprised until now no one has had a real go at the Nexus 4 camera. Patiently awaiting progress.

SuperStyle

Oct 21, 2011
Has someone tested allready the 60 fps option ?
If I installing it how can I know this is working ?

alessa

Jul 5, 2008
thank you for work I hope you'll get stable result as soon as possible ;) thank you again.

r4yN

Dec 25, 2011
i think image quality itself isn'T that bad (I'm talking about still shots, not videos), but the autofocus kinda sucks

btw how come noone posted a comparison video yet? Between a video captured with stock kernel and one captures with this modified one?
Would be good to see if it really improves quality

Reactions: Mattymat

AdamUpNorth

Apr 29, 2010
OK. Here's my stab at a comparison video.

Two videos. Both are split screen with the main profile on one half and high profile on the other. It's the same footage for both, just reversed sides so you can compare.

I edited the XML file so the bitrate is 20mbps. The footage is all 1080p30. All low light which I think is good because you can see the compression artifacts more.
To keep the timing right I had to clip the footage in places. It may appear that there's skipping but those are just my cuts.
Ignore the colour difference...that was just me accidentally picking the wrong white balance before I recorded.

You can really tell on the shot of the car with the green seat where the compression artifacts are much more visible on the main profile.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Edit: It's hard to see on you tube because of the recompression. It's much clearer on the original footage that the high is better. To help, crank the res to 1080p in youtube and then full screen it

http://youtu.be/WnF1-XXWaww

http://youtu.be/mjz9MTM13qY

Last edited:

Michealtbh

Nov 16, 2010
Belfast
Google Pixel 4

i think image quality itself isn'T that bad (I'm talking about still shots, not videos), but the autofocus kinda sucks

btw how come noone posted a comparison video yet? Between a video captured with stock kernel and one captures with this modified one?
Would be good to see if it really improves quality

Yep, focus does indeed suck. Please star the issue http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=43153&thanks=43153&ts=1359017856

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

720p video @ 60fps would be amazing. That plus higher bitrates and AVC high profile would finally make the video recording worthwhile. I sincerely hope you figure this out, OP!

Wait for v0.2

HDR video HDR video HDR video. I would give you money if you got that working :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Ive been thinking about that feature if i had full net access on my computer i wouldve already done a custom build, i have already done custom binarys built but didnt release that was months ago lkl

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

Maybe you could do this

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot

V0.2 is a flashable zip

Fantastic work, wish you all the best. I'm surprised until now no one has had a real go at the Nexus 4 camera. Patiently awaiting progress.

This was done in spare time and a hack not really a real go from me lol

Has someone tested allready the 60 fps option ?
If I installing it how can I know this is working ?

Wait for v0.2 n then test 60fps, the forumla is correct so should output 60fps without problems

Thanks to guy who posted comparison video

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

1080p 60fp? Ive activated it if it will work is another question

And i have another question regarding audio totally not related to whhat im doing here ive used the phone and my friends always tell me i speak too low when infact i think its the mic, so has there been a fix for this issue?

robifis

Dec 14, 2009
Exeter
1080p 60fp? Ive activated it if it will work is another question

And i have another question regarding audio totally not related to whhat im doing here ive used the phone and my friends always tell me i speak too low when infact i think its the mic, so has there been a fix for this issue?

Just flashed it and so far it says 30.32 fps in Premiere. I do hope the 60fps will work in 1080p.

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording v0.1 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests

If users can answer the question on mic would be awesome as that issues bothering me

alanwyl

Apr 8, 2012
Hong Kong
Just a quick question, would fastboot boot boot.img replace my old kernel?
Running Franco kernel now, the power Hal is modified

SuperStyle

Oct 21, 2011
If users can answer the question on mic would be awesome as that issues bothering me

maybe your friend phone has a low speaker ?
I called alot from my nexus and no one complane.
maybe you are by mistake put your funger at the mic when talking ? I dint think there is a problem with the mic

Logi_Ca1

Jun 29, 2011
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording v0.1 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests

No issues with my mic for me. People hear me just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi releasing a quick kernel to test the camera quality
    Compiled for Android jellybean 4.2.1 & 4.2.2
    Ive tested it needs more modified but ive activated high profile & level.

For testing the boot.img boot in fasboot mode in terminal via fastboot boot boot.img

Test and post results thank you

Log outputs this
    OMXCodec: [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] AVC profile = 100 (High), level = 51, ive changed kernel and set the level to 4 for now.
    High profile avc h.264 has been achieved along with changing of profile level upto 5.1.
    Now my focus/attention is on FPS attempting to achieve 60FPS recording

This is a quick kernel based off motleys for testing purposes on camera quality so thank you motley! :D

Downloads & Changelog in post#2

Is it possible to improve picture quality on the camera? I'm not very happy with mine.

Transmission sent from my badass Nexus 4.

I think yes but I'm not promising anything

Any chances, we get in touch with the source?

yes very soon I hope as soon as I finish the 60fps and few other things, thing is I've hacked it to the point even if you choose another level or profile it wont change only the high profile level 4 is selected need to work on it abit more

And can instant HDR pictures be achieved anytime soon?

Very interesting question something I'll need to look into in my spare time

60 fps no way

Yes way! lol

Not sure about some of it but I can tell you that the higher bit rate helps with limiting the grainy video you see at times. 25Mbps is really about all you need at 1080p, any higher only makes for large files but no better quality.

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video. This isn't a high action game. Even the cinema standard is 24fps. Besides our hardware caps at 30. Just like most other phones. Drop to 30 again - the software drops frames anyway so you'd need to record Bruce Lee fighting to test and see if we can hit 60fps at all.

The source would be great since the media encoding is embedded in the kernel it seems. Not in the .apk like the "old" days. Maybe see if we can get the audio sampling up to 192 or 320, instead of the lackluster 96 (seriously Google, wtf...)

Lastly, there should be options for the FFC. What can we for for that?

Dont worry you'll be able to limit the fps or atleast I'm hoping to do that so if its not your kinda thing then you can stick to your 30fps ;)

60fps is a matter of opinion. Personally I deinterlace all my 30i media to 60p, and it looks great. 24fps (or rather, 23.976fps) in cinema is just a matter of tradition, rather than any technical superiority. We might see this trend changing soon with The Hobbit being recorded at 48fps.

Anyway, the Padfone 2 with the same APQ8064 is capable of 720p at 60fps, so unless the hardware limitation you are talking about is with the camera module, the hardware encoder in the APQ8064 should be capable of 720p 60fps recording.

Thank you for the info

720p video @ 60fps would be amazing. That plus higher bitrates and AVC high profile would finally make the video recording worthwhile. I sincerely hope you figure this out, OP!

Wait for v0.2

HDR video HDR video HDR video. I would give you money if you got that working :)

Ive been thinking about that feature if i had full net access on my computer i wouldve already done a custom build, i have already done custom binarys built but didnt release that was months ago lkl

^^ Why attack other members like that, no need for it. Just disagree with an argument, makes you cooler..
    OK. Here's my stab at a comparison video.

Two videos. Both are split screen with the main profile on one half and high profile on the other. It's the same footage for both, just reversed sides so you can compare.

I edited the XML file so the bitrate is 20mbps. The footage is all 1080p30. All low light which I think is good because you can see the compression artifacts more.
    To keep the timing right I had to clip the footage in places. It may appear that there's skipping but those are just my cuts.
    Ignore the colour difference...that was just me accidentally picking the wrong white balance before I recorded.

You can really tell on the shot of the car with the green seat where the compression artifacts are much more visible on the main profile.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Edit: It's hard to see on you tube because of the recompression. It's much clearer on the original footage that the high is better. To help, crank the res to 1080p in youtube and then full screen it

http://youtu.be/WnF1-XXWaww

http://youtu.be/mjz9MTM13qY

Have some time later this week to work on it yay! Did have a look at the mi2 or whatever that other phones called for 60fps, not sure where and why they claim 60fps? Can clearly see stuttering in videos and checked everything unable to find anything on 60fps on that device, so not sure if its encoding @ 60fps, other than that did a few tests which resulted in camera FC