[Q] Phone bricked? Process inside.

Search This thread

bpm2000

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Ok so I decided after using this thing stock for ages I was going to try CM11. Spent all day reading and trying to figure this out.

Used Krabappel guide to downgrade to .534 via flashtools. SUCCESSFUL.

Unlocked Bootloader via Sony official. SUCCESSFUL.

Backed up TA via guide. SUCCESSFUL.

Rooted via Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33. SUCCESSFUL.

Then moved onto trying to find/install a recovery so I could flash the CM11 rom. Now where things seem to have gone awry... :(

Flashed advanced stock kernel v4 by krabappel2548 in accordance to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2439298

Via this command: fastboot flash boot adv-stock-v4.img

Claimed it ran through successfully. Tried to adb reboot recovery, no devices found.

Now device will not turn on. Holding down the power button resulted in a single buzz, no screen activity. Volume up+power gave the three vibrations for reset, no screen activity. Currently red blinking light when plugged in via usb.

Not sure where to go from here. Currently sitting and charging while blinking away.

Thanks for looking. This was so much easier on nexus devices lol!

Last edited:

DeejayTelis

Aug 1, 2012
Athens
Hello friend, i suppose you should try booting into fastboot mode via holding volume UP and connecting USB, see if flashtool recognizes it.
If it does, then we need to find you a pure stock kernel to install and later a recovery.
Also, what android firmware you had before flashing kernel?

Last edited:
Reactions: bpm2000

bpm2000

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hello friend, i suppose you should try booting into fastboot mode via holding volume UP and connecting USB, see if flashtool recognizes it.
If it does, then we need to find you a pure stock kernel to install and later a recovery.

Beautiful, flashtools does recognize it: blue LED and "device connected in fastboot mode"

I believe I was on 14.1.G.1.534 since I needed to downgrade to that in the first step, and I don't think any steps I took afterwards changed it AFAIK.

angryGTS

Feb 18, 2011
Ok so I decided after using this thing stock for ages I was going to try CM11. Spent all day reading and trying to figure this out.

Then moved onto trying to find/install a recovery so I could flash the CM11 rom. Now where things seem to have gone awry... :(

Flashed advanced stock kernel v4 by krabappel2548 in accordance to this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2439298

Claimed it ran through successfully. Tried to adb reboot recovery, no devices found.

Now device will not turn on. Holding down the power button resulted in a single buzz, no screen activity. Volume up+power gave the three vibrations for reset, no screen activity. Currently red blinking light when plugged in via usb.

Not sure where to go from here. Currently sitting and charging while blinking away.

If you felt a vibration you are not bricked thankfully. Try flashing another ftf in flash tool and start over.

edit: oops you beat me to posting before I hit post.

bpm2000

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Looking at my steps taken, did I mess something up? I'm not sure what I did wrong and would like to not repeat this mistake.

DeejayTelis

Aug 1, 2012
Athens
I found out what you did wrong.
You needed to have 14.2.A.1.136 fw to install the kernel. Read carefully what it says here.

Stock kernel with CWM and TWRP recovery for 14.2.A.1.136 fw | v4 [10/02/14]

If you messed up with the kernel, you might have to install a new one.
But firstly try what angryGTS said before me. Reflash .534 and see what happens, then i will happily help you get to a solid firmware and install CM11 :)
Also, you backed up TA after unlcoking BL or before, and how you backed it up (recovery or other tool? )? (It's important that you have backed up BEFORE unlocking BL :/ )

Last edited:

bpm2000

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
You needed to have 14.2.A.1.136 fw to install the kernel. Read carefully what it says here.

But firstly try what angryGTS said before me. Reflash .534 and see what happens, then i will happily help you get to a solid firmware and install CM11 :)
Also, you backed up TA after unlcoking BL or before, and how you backed it up (recovery or other tool? )? (It's important that you have backed up BEFORE unlocking BL :/ )

I used the tool here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598&highlight=ta and backed up before going through Sony's BL unlock process.

Just flashed .534 C6903_14.1.G.1.534_1276-4314_R2A and I am back in!

DeejayTelis

Aug 1, 2012
Athens
I used the tool here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598&highlight=ta and backed up before going through Sony's BL unlock process.

That's just great news.
Your camera should not be working since you have unlocked BL and firmware version .534 . Root it using Kingo Root or such one click root programs.
And then install recovery from here .
-Use this to go to rooted 4.3 . thanks to NUT (at this point your camera should start working again)
-Use this to go to rooted 4.4 version .681 , thank NUT again (you can stay here if you want Z2 camera mods and DoomKernel and other stuff availiable to fw up to .681 )
And optional go to latest .757 KitKat using this thank NUT again , but you won't be able to do much here.

Also when you are at .681 , you might want to flash to CM11 there , check here and thank FXP team.
Have fun. And remember to read instructions carefully :) .

Last edited:

bpm2000

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
That's just great news.
Your camera should not be working since you have unlocked BL and firmware version .534 . Root it using Kingo Root or such one click root programs.
-Use this to go to rooted 4.3 . thanks to NUT (at this point your camera should start working again)
-Use this to go to rooted 4.4 version .681 , thank NUT again (you can stay here if you want Z2 camera mods and DoomKernel and other stuff availiable to fw up to .681 )
And optional go to latest .757 KitKat using this thank NUT again , but you won't be able to do much here.

Also when you are at .681 , you might want to flash to CM11 there , check here and thank FXP team.

I gotta run they are kicking me out of work for the day but will try this tomorrow and report on the progress. Thanks a million!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Didn't NUT said that .681 is required to go to .757 ?

yes, but it isn't

that's just his guide for people already on the latest FW

You basically just need to be rooted, on any FW with recovery and you can flash it

If you felt a vibration you are not bricked thankfully. Try flashing another ftf in flash tool and start over.

edit: oops you beat me to posting before I hit post.

Stock kernel with CWM and TWRP recovery for 14.2.A.1.136 fw | v4 [10/02/14]

That's just great news.