Should i worry about one reboot on my Sensation?

Search This thread

Prenihility

Apr 2, 2012
Allright, i've owned my Sensation for several weeks now. Today, i sent a text, and as soon as i went back to the home menu, the phone turned itself off, and rebooted. It was a pi**-off, for sure, and now im worried.

I've done some research, and apparently (correct me if im wrong) it's because of too much RAM usage. However, i set the phone to notify me when free RAM is less than 50MB, and it never did. It just pulled an auto-reboot on me.

Should i worry about this? Is it normal; basically 100% guaranteed that it is because of low RAM?

Which leads me to this: I ALWAYS questioned all the things i had running at the same time. That's probably the only thing i don't like about the phone. Things start automatically. I have an EQ program, Groove IP, and the Music Player running at the same time. I don't understand why the phone won't just close apps if they aren't in use... Or at least if there was a more streamlined way of closing apps. Not going into Settings,Apps,Manage Apps, Running... That's pretty stupid, if you ask me... If there are alternate/better methods, i'd like to know them.

Back to the point, though. Should i worry about this reboot? And, what exactly is the cause/is it RAM usage?

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Do not worry unless it becomes a persistant problem.

And even then do not worry because it can probably be fixed as long as its a software issue and not a hardware problem.

And free ram isnt a big deal with android. If you use it, you will use up all your ram quickly. But android will kick things not in active use out of ram when apps in use need more ram. Having free ram is actually a waste.

Sent from a rebel ship by storing the message in an R2 unit. (Help me, XDA. You're my only hope)

Prenihility

Apr 2, 2012
Oh, ok...If it's a one-time thing, then i won't worry about it. However, i'd still like to know the cause of it.

Why does this happen?

hunter890

Dec 11, 2010
Did your phone feel warm or hot when it switched off?

Okay, this thing about RAM is one of the biggest misconceptions I think a lot of people have regarding Android. Android doesn't use RAM like Windows. On Android, RAM usage is a good thing. It means that when you want to reload an application, it does it quickly. In other words, RAM unused is just RAM wasted on Android. And the other thing is, apps running in the background do not consume resources unless they also have background processes running as well. The other thing is that Android will automatically kill off certain processes when your RAM is low. So yea. You don't have to worry about RAM.

If you're worried about the crap that comes preinstalled with the phone, you might want to consider rooting and removing all those apps though.

Reactions: monkor

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Oh, ok...If it's a one-time thing, then i won't worry about it. However, i'd still like to know the cause of it.

Why does this happen?

Are you using an app killer to monitor your free ram?

That could easily be the cause. Sometimes those app killers will kill the wrong things and force a reboot.

You're better off dumping apps killers altogether. They work counter productively to the way Linux operates.

Prenihility

Apr 2, 2012
Yeah, i kill processes/apps in the settings menu, don't use any downloaded/third party apps for that purpose.

I guess i'll stop doing that...

HOWEVER, i still don't like how, for example, once i sign into Groove IP for the first time, it will stay signed in. Every consecutive time i go to use the phone again, it signs in automatically... After it wakes up from sleep mode, it will sign into Groove IP, and load things like the EQ program i use. I won't worry too much about the EQ, but other apps like Groove IP that are connected to some sort of signal, i don't want automatically running... Is it really not safe to just terminate a process in task manager?

Finally, on to the subject of reboots...Since owning the phone for...I don't know...A few weeks now? I've only actually turned it off/rebooted once...

Did that contribute to the random reboot? Was that not a good move, on my part, to pretty much always keep the phone on (although in sleep mode when not in use, of course...) ?

k0zmic

Jul 16, 2010
London
Finally, on to the subject of reboots...Since owning the phone for...I don't know...A few weeks now? I've only actually turned it off/rebooted once...

Did that contribute to the random reboot? Was that not a good move, on my part, to pretty much always keep the phone on (although in sleep mode when not in use, of course...) ?

Yeah it could have. Try reboot the day every week at the bare minimum. Ideally, I'd suggest rebooting every 4 days or so.

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Yeah, i kill processes/apps in the settings menu, don't use any downloaded/third party apps for that purpose.

I guess i'll stop doing that...

HOWEVER, i still don't like how, for example, once i sign into Groove IP for the first time, it will stay signed in. Every consecutive time i go to use the phone again, it signs in automatically... After it wakes up from sleep mode, it will sign into Groove IP, and load things like the EQ program i use. I won't worry too much about the EQ, but other apps like Groove IP that are connected to some sort of signal, i don't want automatically running... Is it really not safe to just terminate a process in task manager?

If you are manually killing an app that's causing problems / pissing you off / or because you just don't like it's face, then no. That's okay. It's the automated app killers that kill everything as soon as you close them and then keep killing and killing like battle droids gone berserk that you want to avoid. It's that constant killing, which means an app restart and power usage, that will drain battery. And being unmonitored they can kill the wrong things that cause system instability.

But if you have 1 app that's bothering you you can kill it through the apps menu. That's normal.

The bigger problem is an app that constantly turns itself on like that. I hate those. There should be an option in the app settings to prevent that from happening. If there isn't, it's a bad app no matter how well it does what it's supposed to do.

Asa2303

Mar 9, 2011
You can use gemini app manager to change autorun settings for each app individually and autokiller memory optimizer to change the preset android memory limits so your phone automatically closes apps itself a little bit sooner.

Both are free apps but require root.

Gemini is really good. Certain apps start just because you received a text or plugged your usb in. Or your signal changed. I put a stop to that straight away!! Just don't change the settings for system apps.

sent from my Sensation XE

Prenihility

Apr 2, 2012
Happened again... Alright, im being irritated by this restarting problem... My phone was just idle, i haven't touched it for hours. It was next to me on my desk, and i heard/felt the vibration upon restart.

Should i call my service provider for a replacement? This is ridiculous... I didn't get this thing expecting it to restart on me.

Reactions: Mercvtio

l2icky

Jun 7, 2010
Moore, Oklaoma
Happened again... Alright, im being irritated by this restarting problem... My phone was just idle, i haven't touched it for hours. It was next to me on my desk, and i heard/felt the vibration upon restart.

Should i call my service provider for a replacement? This is ridiculous... I didn't get this thing expecting it to restart on me.

They are going to make you go through a lot of TS steps that you can do prior to calling them.

Have you downloaded any apps recently, say just before you had the problem the first time. It could be the fault of a buggy app, (Usually not likely, but is possible). Are you rooted or fully stock?

As for the Groove ID - look in settings, there may be a way to stop the auto sign in. Just an idea, I don't use it.

Prenihility

Apr 2, 2012
I'm not having anymore problems with Groove IP auto sign in. The "lite" version of the app doesn't have the option to disable it, anyway. I just don't run it, unless i need to use it.

This is the second or third time it's restarted. I believe it's the second time, since the 23rd of April, when i created this thread.

As far as rooted or not rooted, i'm not sure what that means. I think it's in regards to the SD card. No, i haven't messed around with it. It's stock. Other than adding some music to the phone. Nothing has been messed around with.

I'm really annoyed by the fact that this happened AGAIN during idle/sleep mode. I wasn't even using the phone. It was just sitting there. It's quite irritating.

Anyhow. What are all the possibilities of the reboots? I'm starting to think it's not lack of memory. Supposedly the RAM-related issue is Sense restarting because of lack of RAM.

The phone vibrates, and the HTC logo comes up, and finally comes to the Home screen.

The only good news, really, in the end, is that it's only happened a couple of times in such a long span of time... I seriously hope i get this figured out, and it never happens again. Or else i'm getting a replacement, for piece of mind, and as a solution.

l2icky

Jun 7, 2010
Moore, Oklaoma
I'm not having anymore problems with Groove IP auto sign in. The "lite" version of the app doesn't have the option to disable it, anyway. I just don't run it, unless i need to use it.

This is the second or third time it's restarted. I believe it's the second time, since the 23rd of April, when i created this thread.

As far as rooted or not rooted, i'm not sure what that means. I think it's in regards to the SD card. No, i haven't messed around with it. It's stock. Other than adding some music to the phone. Nothing has been messed around with.

I'm really annoyed by the fact that this happened AGAIN during idle/sleep mode. I wasn't even using the phone. It was just sitting there. It's quite irritating.

Anyhow. What are all the possibilities of the reboots? I'm starting to think it's not lack of memory. Supposedly the RAM-related issue is Sense restarting because of lack of RAM.

The phone vibrates, and the HTC logo comes up, and finally comes to the Home screen.

The only good news, really, in the end, is that it's only happened a couple of times in such a long span of time... I seriously hope i get this figured out, and it never happens again. Or else i'm getting a replacement, for piece of mind, and as a solution.

Referring back to my previous question, did you install any apps prior to the first reboot?

Prenihility

Apr 2, 2012
Referring back to my previous question, did you install any apps prior to the first reboot?

Oops. Forgot, sorry... Uuuummmm... Either the Equalizer App, or Groove IP. The only ones i've downloaded. Although im leaning more towards Groove IP (doesn't start up anymore though; because i don't want it to. Never launched it).

Regardless, are you saying i should uninstall it?

Also, one thing i want to add, that i find a bit strange. If i restart the phone, the display brightness will be noticeably brighter than what i actually set it to. It's almost as if i have to remind the phone of the brightness level i set in display options. All i have to do is go to the brightness setting, and touch the slider.

Is this normal behaviour? For it to be brighter upon startup? (even when reaching the home screen/whilst the main UI, past HTC logo screen)

l2icky

Jun 7, 2010
Moore, Oklaoma
Oops. Forgot, sorry... Uuuummmm... Either the Equalizer App, or Groove IP. The only ones i've downloaded. Although im leaning more towards Groove IP (doesn't start up anymore though; because i don't want it to. Never launched it).

Regardless, are you saying i should uninstall it?

Also, one thing i want to add, that i find a bit strange. If i restart the phone, the display brightness will be noticeably brighter than what i actually set it to. It's almost as if i have to remind the phone of the brightness level i set in display options. All i have to do is go to the brightness setting, and touch the slider.

Is this normal behaviour? For it to be brighter upon startup? (even when reaching the home screen/whilst the main UI, past HTC logo screen)

It's a possibility that the app is causing the problem, though it is a small one. You might uninstall it and try it for a while, see if the device continues to reboot.

As far as your quirky brightness issue... It's technology. No two devices are the same, even if they have the "same" hardware/software. That almost seems like a fluke happenstance. Just a minor bug in your software.

You might want to read into S-Offing your phone and rooting it. Do some research into it. There are a lot of perks of rooting your device and going with custom ROMs. And if you ever have issues and have to get a replacement, as long as you can turn the device on and it's functional, you can always set it back to S-On with no root.

I've learned over the years, and this is just my personal opinion, stock ROMs are more likely and it seems as if they are meant to have more problems, however it's like anything else in the tech world, it's bound to deteriorate over time. It's how they keep you buying their product.

There are some really good guides that lead through the process step for step if you decide to S-off and root. And there are a lot of helpful people on XDA that will answer any of your questions.

Prenihility

Apr 2, 2012
It's a possibility that the app is causing the problem, though it is a small one. You might uninstall it and try it for a while, see if the device continues to reboot.

As far as your quirky brightness issue... It's technology. No two devices are the same, even if they have the "same" hardware/software. That almost seems like a fluke happenstance. Just a minor bug in your software.

You might want to read into S-Offing your phone and rooting it. Do some research into it. There are a lot of perks of rooting your device and going with custom ROMs. And if you ever have issues and have to get a replacement, as long as you can turn the device on and it's functional, you can always set it back to S-On with no root.

I've learned over the years, and this is just my personal opinion, stock ROMs are more likely and it seems as if they are meant to have more problems, however it's like anything else in the tech world, it's bound to deteriorate over time. It's how they keep you buying their product.

There are some really good guides that lead through the process step for step if you decide to S-off and root. And there are a lot of helpful people on XDA that will answer any of your questions.

Allright. Went to grab my phone just now, and saw the error notification. The old "abnormal reset" notification.
I'm going to assume it reset on its own once again. So....

Any insight into this? Why's is reseting itself? Hasn't happened in a while... but... still.

It was just sitting there, idling.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did your phone feel warm or hot when it switched off?

Okay, this thing about RAM is one of the biggest misconceptions I think a lot of people have regarding Android. Android doesn't use RAM like Windows. On Android, RAM usage is a good thing. It means that when you want to reload an application, it does it quickly. In other words, RAM unused is just RAM wasted on Android. And the other thing is, apps running in the background do not consume resources unless they also have background processes running as well. The other thing is that Android will automatically kill off certain processes when your RAM is low. So yea. You don't have to worry about RAM.

If you're worried about the crap that comes preinstalled with the phone, you might want to consider rooting and removing all those apps though.