[Q] Bell D803 constant re-boot

Search This thread

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
A bit of an SOS situation if anyone knows the right steps please

Well, I restored a Titanium Backup and mistakenly toggled the "restore system apk". It ran fine, all restored and then when I rebooted got stuck.

By "stuck", it re-boots constantly. It shows the LG animation, then all I can see is two messages before it starts booting again:

1) "Unfortunately, Google Play Services Has Stopped"
2) "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped

... and then it does the entire boot sequence, animation, again, and again.

Here is what I can do:

* It is in USB debug mode.

* I have drivers on laptop

* I am able to connect with adb and also shell into phone.

* With adb, I have output to the file an "adb bugreport" as well as an "adb logcat".

* I have several backups:

a) The modemsst1.img and modemsst2.img created by Titanium Backup
b) Titanium backups (full apps and data)
c) an "adb backup - all" backup

* I managed to get it into firmware update mode by pressing the volume up button and the power button and then when it flashed red a few times, just the up button. So, I can get it into Firmware update mode.

Of course, I have never really used adb before, except to dabble a bit. So, I am encouraged that I can somehow get into with shell.

I am not unplugging it until I know what to do!

Last edited:

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
Since then I have been able to turn the phone off and also put it into charging on USB.

This is what worked:

* Hold down power and volume down button until booting stops and phone turns off completely.​

When it does shut down, I kept buttons down until it flashes logo again and then shuts down again. Then I let go. Phone is off and when I plugged in the charger it shows charging animation.

Now, after inspecting the bugreport, I noticed a lot of these messages for all the system apps like this one:

"I/PackageManager(21318): Expecting better updatd system app for com.lge.sizech"​

I think the cause of all this shralp is this, I did a LG Mobile Support Tool "Upgrade Recovery" and then in Titanium Backup I restored an older backup (incl system apks). At least that makes sense seeing all the "Expecting better apdat system app" messages in the bugreport.

Still not sure what to do next :p

Last edited:

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
I tried the very good instructions here:
[Guide] Unroot/Unbrick - flash official factory firmware with LG Launche
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2471370

The update succeeded. However, when I rebooted the phone it is in the same boot-loop with message that it was before.

I used the BELL D803B10D_00.kdz file. Now I will try with the earlier version BELL D803BA_00.kdz file.

We will see what happens ...

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
I have three backups:

1) Titanium Backup (full)
* This was my first backup performed right after rooting device and installing Titanium Backup.

2) Titanium Backup (full)
* Did this 2 days ago. Device was working OK and did as precaution.

3) ADB BACKUP. I did this one before my Titanium restore.
I restored the first titanium backup and that (ooooppps!) was after I did an LG Firmware update.

ALSO:
I am on Windows 7 64 and although adb works fine, fastboot does not. I understand that might be a problem with windows 7 64.

So, unless anyone objects, I am going to redo on my windows 32 machine and also "fastbook oem unlock".
Since firmware is OK, if I do the fastboot oem unlock, that will wipe everything. But I can still boot and re-setip the phone, right?
Just checking before I fudge everything up here ..

ALSO ALSO:
I had antivirus/theft security installed and I disabled it partway through last restore.
Maybe that has somethng to do with this all .:confused:

But I am still cool because I can ADB and also firmware install seems ok.

ADB works and that is the one good sign.

asdfvtn

Feb 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I'm having a similar problem on a Bell D803. Just happened very randomly today. I turned my phone off for an exam, then turned it back on after.. initially had no signal and a black background. Settings for factory reset wouldn't work. My phone is rooted and has TWRP. I went into recovery and formatted.
Bootloop.
Bootloop.
Bootloop x 20.
I however, don't get the same two messages. I just keep bootlooping.

Got home, tried to go through download mode to unbrick it, but for some reason my computer isn't picking it up. I have all the drivers, and before this incident, it was recognized.

Any solutions?
I'm thinking of buying an OTG USB and then just flashing a stock zip from recovery. Would that be a possible viable solution?

Last edited:

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
I'm having a similar problem on a Bell D803. Just happened very randomly today. I turned my phone off for an exam, then turned it back on after.. initially had no signal and a black background. Settings for factory reset wouldn't work. My phone is rooted and has TWRP. I went into recovery and formatted.
Bootloop.
Bootloop.
Bootloop x 20.
I however, don't get the same two messages. I just keep bootlooping.

Got home, tried to go through download mode to unbrick it, but for some reason my computer isn't picking it up. I have all the drivers, and before this incident, it was recognized.

Any solutions?
I'm thinking of buying an OTG USB and then just flashing a stock zip from recovery. Would that be a possible viable solution?

Well, I am able to connect with adb fine on my laptop (Win 7 64) but not on my desktop (Win 7 32)
But on my Win 7 64 I cannot get into fastboot.

I am wondering if the driver install on my desktop went foo-bar and needs reinstall. Also, I noticed that the website drivers are more recent USB drivers than some of the ones linked on this site.

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
I used adb uninstall package for many user packages and it was success. But I still see the packages listed in the bugreport?

For example: I already uninstalled "com.benhirashima.skiplock" and also "com.lookout".

Why? What to do to really zap them for good?

asdfvtn

Feb 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Well, I am able to connect with adb fine on my laptop (Win 7 64) but not on my desktop (Win 7 32)
But on my Win 7 64 I cannot get into fastboot.

I am wondering if the driver install on my desktop went foo-bar and needs reinstall. Also, I noticed that the website drivers are more recent USB drivers than some of the ones linked on this site.
Hmm that's strange. Unfortunately for me, I'm already on 64-bit and it still isn't picking it up.

zprovo

Feb 25, 2014
ALL FIXED UP
WORKING 110%

:cowboy: :good: :cool:

I have followed this to a t.

Succesfully flashed the stock firmware that came with the phone when sold.

Did hard reset using the the power button and volume down

= phone rebooting every 10 seconds, no wifi, imei = null

adb devices = offline.

Really depressed right now. If anybody can help me I would appreciate it.

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
I have followed this to a t.

Succesfully flashed the stock firmware that came with the phone when sold.

Did hard reset using the the power button and volume down

= phone rebooting every 10 seconds, no wifi, imei = null

adb devices = offline.

Really depressed right now. If anybody can help me I would appreciate it.

1. Press the power button down and hold it.
  2. It should turn off, then look like it is turning on, (flash logo very briefly) and then turn off.
  3. Let go of power button and it should stay off.

Do that. Now, does it work to turn off completely?

Let's see if you can do that first.

Then .. do hard reset, exactly like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ogBvzbPikc

Does the hard reset screen show and give you hard reset options?

Last edited:

zprovo

Feb 25, 2014
  1. Press the power button down and hold it.
  2. It should turn off, then look like it is turning on, (flash logo very briefly) and then turn off.
  3. Let go of power button and it should stay off.

Do that. Now, does it work to turn off completely?

Let's see if you can do that first.

Yup. I totally understand what you are saying and have done it many times. I had to use that method to get into download mode and also had to use it to do hard reset.

I just reflashed the phone all over again a second time succesfully.

Reboots every 5 seconds. Keyboard came up for a few seconds for the first time in 48 hours during the initial setup phase. 5 seconds later as I was trying to input a wifi code it would not appear. then it rebooted as usual.

I really appreciate any input right now. :cyclops::eek::confused::crying:

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
Yup. I totally understand what you are saying and have done it many times. I had to use that method to get into download mode and also had to use it to do hard reset.

I just reflashed the phone all over again a second time succesfully.

Reboots every 5 seconds. Keyboard came up for a few seconds for the first time in 48 hours during the initial setup phase. 5 seconds later as I was trying to input a wifi code it would not appear. then it rebooted as usual.

I really appreciate any input right now. :cyclops::eek::confused::crying:

1) Are you able to completely turn it off using my instructions?

2) When you hard reset (2nd half of this video), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ogBvzbPikc

a) Does the hard reset screen show?

b) Does it give you the hard reset options?

3) Before it was bricked, was it in 'usb debug mode' in developer options?

4) Which kpz version did you restore to?

5) Did your "adb devices" ever work? Did your "adb shell" ever work?

Last edited:

zprovo

Feb 25, 2014
1) Are you able to completely turn it off using my instructions?

2) When you hard reset (2nd half of this video), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ogBvzbPikc

a) Does the hard reset screen show?

b) Does it give you the hard reset options?

3) Before it was bricked, was it in 'usb debug mode' in developer options?

1) Yes absolutely. It is sitting next to me right now doing nothing at all because I turn it off when I am not trying to fix it, otherwise it keeps rebooting relentlessly.

2) a) Yes, same as the video. b) Yes it says the same exact thing as the video. I press power key twice and it begins. The stock recovery android appears with a loading bar on the bottom for ~1 minute then it goes to the boot "lg animation".

3) Yes it was. Before it was bricked I essentially always had it in debug mode because I successfully rooted it and simply left it on debugging mode after having to activate it to root.

4) D801V11B_00.kdz The EXACT same as the original. This is a Videotron (canadian) phone. I can clearly remember without a doubt going into about phone and this is what it was running before all of this happened.

5) I am having a bit of memory strain here, but I do believe it also said adb devices before any of the issues came. It is a good point I will try "adb device" from another trusted computer.

Other notes: I can browse the android os for a few seconds. Sometimes sound does not work, wifi is non functional (even though the keyboard never appears, I managed to have a security free wifi in my proximity and it would not connect (was saying: temporarily avoiding bad signal)) and also I do have modemstat1.img and modemstat2.img backups for EFS.

adb devices consistently shows "offline" but it is definitely recognizing the phone. I have also tried using usb debugging activated and still "offline". Drivers are up to date and all.

The upper drawer in the usual g2 user interface is strange now. it doesnt have anything except for the date (1970 something...) and a "gear" icon for system settings. I am talking the drawer you drag down from the top of the screen.

This phone was working with absolutely no problems 2 days ago.

Thank you so much for looking into this. I have certainly exhausted my repairing capacities. I am entirely dependent upon the knowledgeable individuals in here from here on out.

Last edited:

natureburger

Feb 24, 2014
1) Yes absolutely. It is sitting next to me right now doing nothing at all because I turn it off when I am not trying to fix it, otherwise it keeps rebooting relentlessly.

2) a) Yes, same as the video. b) Yes it says the same exact thing as the video. I press power key twice and it begins. The stock recovery android appears with a loading bar on the bottom for ~1 minute then it goes to the boot "lg animation".

3) Yes it was. Before it was bricked I essentially always had it in debug mode because I successfully rooted it and simply left it on debugging mode after having to activate it to root.

4) D801V11B_00.kdz The EXACT same as the original. This is a Videotron (canadian) phone. I can clearly remember without a doubt going into about phone and this is what it was running before all of this happened.

5) I am having a bit of memory strain here, but I do believe it also said adb devices before any of the issues came. It is a good point I will try "adb device" from another trusted computer.

Other notes: I can browse the android os for a few seconds. Sometimes sound does not work, wifi is non functional (even though the keyboard never appears, I managed to have a security free wifi in my proximity and it would not connect (was saying: temporarily avoiding bad signal)) and also I do have modemstat1.img and modemstat2.img backups for EFS.

adb devices consistently shows "offline" but it is definitely recognizing the phone. I have also tried using usb debugging activated and still "offline". Drivers are up to date and all.

The upper drawer in the usual g2 user interface is strange now. it doesnt have anything except for the date (1970 something...) and a "gear" icon for system settings. I am talking the drawer you drag down from the top of the screen.

This phone was working with absolutely no problems 2 days ago.

Thank you so much for looking into this. I have certainly exhausted my repairing capacities. I am entirely dependent upon the knowledgeable individuals in here from here on out.

Hmmmm..... why your adb devices is not working? But the re-pair works and you can then do hard reset.
But that is good information you shared.
Maybe someone else can chime in.

From my experience:

1) adb usb access seems spotty. My win 7 64 connected fine and it even kept the shell through the reboot cycle. But on my win 7 32 machine it was only detecting device and then not able to shell.

2) I was also able to use from the LG website LG MOBILE SUPPORT TOOLS.

Download the LG MOBILE SUPPORT TOOL
I downloaded the most recent one from the LG website and make sure to select your options >> country and then the correct phone model at the upper right hand corner of the tool.

Then install USB driver for correct phone model.
Then see if USB works, "adb device" should return the device code.

"adb shell" should show the shell prompt.

3) There is always fastboot. But I an noob and know 0% about how to properly connect and use it.

Some others please chime in and help this droid bro!