App removal - bloat (Depreciated thread - See OP for update links)

Search This thread

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
UPDATE/EDIT: September 12th, 2011 -
I am depreciating this thread and will no longer check on or support it. For more information on this topic:

See MT4GS Stock App Encyclopedia for information about the apps themselves.

See Bloater to make stock app removal easier then you could ever imagine it being.

UPDATE/EDIT: August 21st, 2011 -
Posts 19 through 25 are a summary and how-to of what we have learned about removing apps from the stock rooted rom so far. Skip ahead if you want, otherwise the thread is a good read all the way through.

Now that we have a working S-OFF/Root procedure, a lot of us want to kill some of the stuff that came pre-loaded on our phones.

Root is required, and performing a backup through Clockworkmod is a necessity as well. Both backup and restore actions have been tested and working in CWM 4.0.0.9.

I am not responsible for what happens to your device after removing these files, so make sure you make a CWM backup BEFORE you start mucking around with this.

Some other threads that have been dealing with this for this device are Here, Here and Here. I would like to thank the people who have contributed, and continue to do so in those threads. I made this one in "themes and apps", as I think that people in the future coming in will look here first and this may cut down future confusion and questions.

There are a couple of ways you can accomplish this, but i'll start with the (almost) longest way. See the bottom of the post for other options.

We will be using a file manager to accomplish this task, "File Expert", free from the Google market. (I recommend "Root Explorer", a paid app, but if you've come this far you should get it at some point).

You will need to hit options, choose more, then Mount. Select "Mount as Read Write" to be able to delete the files/folders.

Listed below are the apps and what you have to delete to remove them.

Archived to code tags to make the post smaller. The summaries I wrote out are full page further in the thread, so it's easier to see the whole process.

Themes:
Code:
Aubergine
/system/app/aubergine.apk
/data/data/com.tmobile.theme.aubergine

Brooklyn
/system/app/Brooklyn.apk
/data/data/com.tmobile.theme.brooklyn

Jazz
/system/app/Jazz.apk
/data/data/com.tmobile.theme.jazz

Retro
/system/app/Retro.apk
/data/data/com.tmobile.theme.retro

Spring
/system/app/Spring.apk
/data/data/com.tmobile.theme.spring

Live Wallpapers
/system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk
/system/app/LiveWallpapers.odex
/data/data/com.android.wallpaper

Magic Smoke Wallpapers
/system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
/system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.odex
/data/data/com.android.magicsmoke

Music Visualization Wallpapers
/system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk
/system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.odex
/data/data/com.android.musicvis

Sense Live Wallpaper
/system/app/Mode10Wallpapers.apk
/system/app/Mode10Wallpapers.odex
/data/data/com.htc.android.wallpaper

Streak Live Wallpaper
/system/app/HTCLivewallpaperStreak.apk
/system/app/HTCLivewallpaperStreak.odex
/data/data/com.htc.livewallpaper.streak

Weather Live Wallpaper
/system/app/HtcWeatherWallpaper.apk
/system/app/HtcWeatherWallpaper.odex
/data/data/com.htc.WeatherWallpaper

Widgets:
Code:
HTC Widget Download Manager
/system/app/WidgetDownloadManager.apk
/system/app/WidgetDownloadManager.odex
/data/data/com.htc.wdm

Bookmark Widget 
/system/app/htcbookmarkwidget3d.apk
/system/app/htcbookmarkwidget3d.odex
/data/data/com.htc.fusion.htcbookmarkwidget

Calculator Widget
/system/app/htcCalculatorWidget.apk
/system/app/htcCalculatorWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.android.fusion.calculator

Calendar Widget
/system/app/htccalendarwidgets3d.apk
/system/app/htccalendarwidgets3d.odex
/data/data/com.htc.htccalendarwidgets

Clock Widget
/system/app/htcclock3dwidget.apk
/system/app/htcclock3dwidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.clock3dwidget

FM Radio Widget
/system/app/com.htc.FMRadioWidget.apk
/system/app/com.htc.FMRadioWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.FMRadioWidget

Friend Stream Widget
/system/app/com.htc.FriendStream3DWidget.apk
/system/app/com.htc.FriendStream3DWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.FriendStream3DWidget

Mail Widget
/system/app/htcmailwidgets3d.apk
/system/app/htcmailwidgets3d.odex
/data/data/com.htc.htcmailwidgets

Messages Widget
/system/app/com.htc.htcmsgwidgets3d.apk
/system/app/com.htc.htcmsgwidgets3d.odex
/data/data/com.htc.htcmsgwidgets3d

Music Widget
/system/app/com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
/system/app/com.htc.MusicWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.MusicWidget3D

Photo Widget
/system/app/HtcPhotoWidget.apk
/system/app/HtcPhotoWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.photowidget3d

Setup Widget
/system/app/HtcSetupWidget.apk
/system/app/HtcSetupWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.setupwidget

Sync Widget
/system/app/com.htc.Sync3Dwidget.apk
/system/app/com.htc.Sync3Dwidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.Sync3DWidget

Tips for Home Widget
/system/app/HtcTipWidget.apk
/system/app/HtcTipWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.rosiewidgets.tip

Trends Widget
/system/app/com.htc.TrendsWidget.apk
/system/app/com.htc.TrendsWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.Trends3DWidget

Twitter Widget
/system/app/com.htc.Twitter3DWidget.apk
/system/app/com.htc.Twitter3DWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.Twitter3DWidget

Weather Widget
/system/app/HtcWeather3DWidget.apk
/system/app/HtcWeather3DWidget.odex
/data/data/com.htc.widget3d.weather

System-Type Apps:
Code:
App Sharing
/system/app/appsharing.apk
/system/app/appsharing.odex
/data/data/com.htc.appsharing

AppPack
/system/app/MallLite-4.0.92.apk
/data/data/com.tmobile.appack

Backup
/system/app/MobileBackup.apk
/data/data/com.voxmobile.sync.mobilebackup2

Calculator
/system/app/calculator.apk
/system/app/calculator.odex
/data/data/com.android.calculator2

Home Screen Tips
/system/app/Protips.apk
/system/app/Protips.odex
/data/data/com.android.protips

Setup
/system/app/HTCSetupWizard.apk
/system/app/HTCSetupWizard.odex
/data/data/com.htc.android.htcsetupwizard

Swype
/system/app/Swype.apk
/data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod

T Mobile Device Carbon
/system/app/TmobileAndroidDeviceCarbon-c42-n123.apk
/data/data/com.zipwhip.devicecarbon.tmobile

T Mobile TV
/system/app/com.mobitv.client.tmobiletvhd
/data/data/com.mobitv.client.tmobiletvhd

Video Chat
/system/app/qik.apk
/data/data/com.qiktmobile.android

Apps:
Code:
Adobe Reader
/system/app/AdobeReader.apk
/data/data/com.adobe.reader

Bejeweled 2
/system/app/Bejeweled2_trust5.apk
/data/data/com.eamobile.bejeweled2_small

DT-Sync
/system/app/desktopPointer-signed-v6.apk
/data/data/com.doubletwist.desktopPointer

Facebook
/system/app/HtcFacebook.apk
/system/app/HtcFacebook.odex
/data/data/com.htc.socialnetwork.facebook

Flickr
/system/app/flickr.apk
/system/app/flickr.odex
/data/data/com.htc.socialnetwork.flickr

Friend Stream
/system/app/FriendStream.apk
/system/app/FriendStream.odex
/data/data/com.htc.friendstream

Media Room
/system/app/MediaRoom.apk
/system/app/MediaRoom.odex
/data/data/com.htc.MediaLauncher

Netflix
/system/app/netflix-17-release-android-marketplace-upgrade.apk
/data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient

Peep
/system/app/HtcTwitter.apk
/system/app/HtcTwitter.odex
/data/data/com.htc.htctwitter

PhotoGrid
/system/app/HtcPhotoGridWidget3D.apk
/system/app/HtcPhotoGridWidget3D.odex
/data/data/com.htc.rosiewidgets.photogridwidget3d

Polaris Office
/system/app/PolarisOffice.apk
/data/data/com.infraware.docmaster

Slacker Radio
/system/app/slackerradio.apk
/data/data/com.slacker.radio

Telenav GPS Navigator
/system/app/TMOUS_Navigator.apk
/data/data/com.telenav.app.android.telenav

Zinio Reader
/system/app/ZinioReader.v2.03.3312.Regular.apk
/data/data/com.zinio.mobile.android

ZS Provider
/system/app/ZinioSettingsProvider.v2.03.3198.TMobile.Smartphone.apk
/data/data/com.zinio.android.settings

I have removed all of these apps from my system, and it still runs fine. No problems.

You may get a crash report to send to HTC while removing some of these things (I denied it), but you can ignore it. You will get them it when removing themes for sure.

I don't see why using an app to remove these (like Absolute System) would be an issue - just make sure to go back and manually delete the .odex files, as such apps probably won't get them.

And, of course, you could always use a terminal emulator to (rm) remove the files/folders manually.

Also, for the more adventurous: (but it wasn't a problem)

Internet
/system/app/Browser.apk
/system/app/Browser.odex
/data/data/com.android.browser

(I replaced with "Opera Mobile" by Opera Software ASA - Free app)

Mail
/system/app/mail.apk
/system/app/mail.odex
/data/data/com.htc.android.mail

(Removing mail does not prevent GMAIL from working correctly)

Music
/system/app/HtcMusic.apk
/system/app/HtcMusic.odex
/data/data/com.htc.music

Music Enhancer
/system/app/HtcMusicEnhancer.apk
/system/app/HtcMusicEnhancer.odex
/data/data/com.htc.musicenhancer

(I replaced with "Android Music" by JRTStudio - Free app)

If anyone else finds things they can safely remove, please post it for others to play with.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: RazoE

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Can you list which ones you removed to cause that?

Also, were you using a theme that you deleted?

CWM backup is vital when starting to mess with this - I haven't had to restore due to system issues.

I'd love to try to duplicate your problem on my phone to find a fix. Thanks!

enmxscira

May 6, 2011
I prefer not to actually delete apps in case I ever want to unroot (though this probably isn't that likely but still) and I understand that by doing so, those apps need to be present. if any of you are interested, there is a free app on the market that I discovered. just search "antek" in the market and it freezes whatever bloatware you have so that it no longer runs in the background and should you want to recover it, all you do is just "defrost" it and it runs exactly as it did before. I've saved loads of battery by using this.

Protricity

Oct 1, 2009
I'm using a custom theme that wasn't deleted. I understand that I could get the cyanogenmod fix_permissions script to fix this, but haven't located it yet.

I stuck to your list before this happened except for swype and a few others.

Wasn't looking for help with the issue, just wanted to let you know it happened. Ofcourse I made a backup before and after.

Protricity

Oct 1, 2009
fix_permissions didn't solve. Gonna restore and try again. Btw I didn't freeze first, I just deleted. Doubt that's the reason though.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
fix_permissions didn't solve. Gonna restore and try again. Btw I didn't freeze first, I just deleted. Doubt that's the reason though.

I'm sorry to hear that it's not working out so great for you. Glad to hear you did a backup first though.

It might be good to note, and I should have said it at the beginning, I did a fresh factory reset on my phone just before the S-OFF/Root procedure, and hadn't used any of the things I got rid of.

They were basically just deleted right off the phone before it got used.

Keep us updated on how it's going, and as info comes in i'll add what I can to help. Knowing what apps you got rid of specifically could narrow it down some, and what ones you used first might help as well.

Of course, restoring a backup eliminates the problem, and you may or may not be able to reproduce after - please let us know either way, and thanks for the input!

For our next trick, we're gonna dump HTC Sense.

okay - sorry to post after myself but I got rid of kidzone.

First, I restored a CWM backup I made right after root/busybox installation.

So, my phone state is fresh S-OFF/Root with SU & busybox installed.

It may be important to note that I did a factory reset to my phone just before S-OFF/Root & had a freshly formatted MicroSD card.

I then installed ADW Launcher from the Market, and hit my "home" key. Selected "Use Default" and chose ADW Launcher.

Now my phone defaults to ADW as it's launcher.

I then installed "Absolute System" from the Market, and used it to remove "HTC Sense"

Closed out Absolute System, then scrolled between all 5 ADW desktop screens, powered down the phone, then powered up again. (*NOTE fastboot = off)

Booted fine, was able to ditch sense without issue, and KIDZONE IS GONE!

As always, make sure to do a fresh system backup before messing with anything like this, but Kidzone is linked to sense, and replacing sense with another launcher will remove it.

HTC Sense was the only app removed from the phone, and I haven't checked everything to make sure it works yet, but no HTC crash report to send, and no force close issues. (yet - to be determined)

I've been itching to ditch sense since I got the phone, and this was my first quick test at it. Works good so far.

Edit to add:
Checked the "personalize" option at the top of the "settings" list. This just brings you back to the main desktop, doesn't throw an error.

I knew this one thing would be messed up somehow after ditching sense, but the fact that it doesn't make a problem and just closes the menu is fine by me.

I'll spend the rest of the day testing out my phone without sense to see how it runs. I'll post back how it went tomorrow.

Quoted myself from the kidzone thread, I want to put the info for slimming down my phones apps here.

I'm going to see how the phone runs on just the free version of ADW for a day, then see about coming up with a procedure to remove apps and keep it all stable in the process.

Happy modding!

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011

Also, a thought. Boot to CWM and clear the dalvik cache.

I looked up some info on this since rooting the other day, and after uninstalling apps it's good to do to clear out the old app data. Something to consider - it might solve your problem.

dansl

Dec 14, 2010
KCK
dansl.net
I froze "T-mobile Name ID" and everything seems to be working fine.

You might also want to mention that you can temp-root your device, then freeze these apps, and they will stay frozen after reboot. Just, for anyone that doesn't want to perma-root their device right now (like me). It's not very stable to perma-root your device right now. Just read that if your MT4GS dies and your perma-rooted, you will either have to buy a new battery or find a way to charge your battery without your phone... some issue with the HBoot... So till thats fixed, and till i'm sure things are stable. I'll stick with my Temp-Root :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nldroid

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Does the camera app still work after you deleted sense? I wouldn't want to lose that..

The camera app still works, but I haven't used all the features.

I would assume this still does work completely, though, because this is only getting rid of the sense launcher, and not the underlying frameworks that power it. (which I hear the camera is dependent upon.)

A solid day of running ADW instead of sense as my launcher has been fine, i'll go play with the camera for a little while and get back to you with a more complete answer to this.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011

You might also want to mention that you can temp-root your device, then freeze these apps, and they will stay frozen after reboot. Just, for anyone that doesn't want to perma-root their device right now (like me). It's not very stable to perma-root your device right now. Just read that if your MT4GS dies and your perma-rooted, you will either have to buy a new battery or find a way to charge your battery without your phone... some issue with the HBoot... So till thats fixed, and till i'm sure things are stable. I'll stick with my Temp-Root :)

This had to do with a charging issue using Clockworkmod 4.0.0.8 which is fixed with Clockworkmod 4.0.0.9.

I have personally run my battery to completely dead using CWM 4.0.0.9 and it charged up and booted fine.

Good to know that freezing apps stays after reboot on temp-root, that's an awesome find!

Sinfamy

Aug 15, 2011
steamcommunity.com
The Notes app from:

/system/app/androidnotes.apk

Is that it, or is there more in the /data folder?

I think it may be /data/data/com.marigold.android.notes
and /data/data/com.marigold.android.notes/databases/notes

But I don't want to delete it without being fully sure, can someone verify this for me?

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Does the camera app still work after you deleted sense? I wouldn't want to lose that..

Yep, the camera app works completely. I tested all the modes, and used all the different manual settings in the last option. Nothing was broken, it was all fine.

Removing just the sense launcher and replacing it with something else has no impact on the camera, and I would imagine anything else that requires sense frameworks. We should test anything before making that blanket statement, though, but consider camera.apk to be tested and working without the sense launcher.

Also, just found this.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1150805

Post by rmk40, talking about freezing bloatware apps on the HTC Sensation. There are some apps ppl have frozen on there that are also on the MT4GS. I'm going to look through it now and will check back later.

That's awesome - while i'm busy re-inventing the wheel, way to pick up where someone else left off. I glanced through there quickly, but i'm kinda having fun figuring this out. I definitely look forward to hearing what you've learned browsing through, and i'll get there at some point.

Thanks clicked on that helpful post!

The Notes app from:

But I don't want to delete it without being fully sure, can someone verify this for me?

Yep, you were right on. Delete the .apk in bold, then go delete the folder in bold. Once you delete the folder in /data/data, then your second line about the database in notes becomes moot, since it will have already been deleted.

dansl

Dec 14, 2010
KCK
dansl.net
Updated my list of stuff too (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=16683780).

One thing i found that I couldn't quite figure out what is was for, is the Com.Redbend.SWM-C app. I've read that it might be used for tracking/analytics or DRM content... i dont know, but I froze it, and everything seems to be working fine still! I read someone had issues with Youtube, but youtube has been working fine for me.

Reactions: Blue6IX

chrispaw

Jan 8, 2008
thank you for this thread and thanks to dansl too. I was able to remove sense and a lot of the htc bloatware, making the phone a lot better.

I don't know what doubleshotandroidzipgroup was that was running in the background, but i froze it and it seems fine...

Reactions: Blue6IX

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
So it seems like this thread has been helping people, in conjunction with the other threads on the different aspects of this subject. I don't deal with freezing apps, it always seemed cleaner to me to just get rid of them.

I know in some cases that's not possible, maybe for us maybe not. I've sure learned a lot from this project, and from what people have discovered by freezing apps.

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has contributed towards what we've learned here.

I took the time to really work out what has to be done to remove the various things we discovered, and the next few posts reflect the contributions everyone has made to this project.

Also, i'm hoping that this road map we are making will cut the time down it takes for developers to introduce roms for our device. Having the locations, and user test data of what you can dump should take some of their headache away. This is one of the motivations behind my trying to lay this all out like this, making it easier not only for us to use now, but for developers to refer to later.

Enjoy, i've had fun with it so far!

Last edited:

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
There was an initial surge of testing what could or could not be removed from the phone right after we got root, which has mostly passed now. Most of the obvious "I can get rid of this" stuff has been figured out, and the rest of the things we can safely get rid of will take a closer look and involve a bit of head scratching to figure out.

Meantime, I felt like it was a good idea to summarize what we know a bit, and come up with a good procedure for removing stuff that was both simple and stable. You could (and I, as well as others, have) delete(d) this stuff all at once without issue, but i'm more comfortable with a more cautious approach - and I know others will be too.

To that end, i've taken the time to test this method a few times, re-engineer it, tweak things, change the order up a bit, and finally lay it out here. We all pretty much want to get the most out of our phones, and for almost all of us here the "extras" pre-installed on our phones get in the way of this.

This'll be fun, and pretty painless - so - ready to remove some bloat?

Setup 1: We're going to go backwards in time a few steps. The ideal situation here is:

00 - Backup all phone data to somewhere off the phone itself.
01 - Factory reset phone, power down.
02 - Remove microsd card, format in computer.
03 - re-insert microsd card in phone, power on.
04 - Set up your Gmail account, enable the Market on your phone.
05 - S-OFF (if necessary), installing CWM 4.0.0.9 and Rooting your phone.
06 - Installing Busybox and Root Checker, verifying that both root and busybox are obtained/available on your phone.
07 - Uninstalling Busybox installer, checking Busybox installation in Root Checker again, then uninstalling Root Checker.
08 - Power down your phone, and boot into recovery mode.
09 - Make a CWM backup of your system in recovery, then rebooting your phone.
10 - (optional, but recommended) Making a copy of the CWM backup to another place, like your computer.

If you did/do it this way then you can always restore to a clean CWM backup from right after you got Root & Busybox on your phone, in the cleanest ready state it can be.

Otherwise, do a CWM backup of your system now, before following the instructions laid out below to be able to restore your phone if something goes wrong.

I'll try and help anyone who needs it if something doesn't go right, but please understand you do this at your own risk and backups are your best friend!

Setup 2: Tools.

01 - Install Root Explorer.

+ Other file managers may work with varying degrees of success, and there are some free alternatives, but nothing that will do the job like Root Explorer. I highly recommend this app, and if you're going to be doing this kind of stuff on your phone you should probably pick it up. You at least need a file manager capable of read/write access to your system folders, and that can copy and delete.

02 - Install Absolute System Root Tools.

+ Again, there are probably free alternatives out there, but this program is pretty awesome and I recommend it. You should have an app that lets you uninstall system apps, and lets you clear their data before uninstalling. One thing to note, is that it won't delete the .odex files of installed apps, so you'll have to go back and get them manually with Root Explorer.

03 - Before performing any steps listed below, you should make backups of all the files you will delete. I list the locations of everything so you can navigate to it with Root Explorer and copy the files somewhere else, like your sdcard. I would also go so far as to say you should make a CWM backup before attempting each of the steps below, but i'm overly cautious when it comes to backups - that's up to you.

(You could end up making changes in files you aren't working in, without realizing it. A Nandroid backup is the only way to ensure you can restore those files if that should happen)

** - Use Absolute System to uninstall .apk files listed below, and it will also get the /data/data location as well. You will have to go back and get the .odex files manually. If you choose not to use an app to uninstall the .apk files listed below, I wrote out their full path location so you can use Root Explorer to delete them manually.

** - Changes made to /system/etc are mirrored in /etc as soon as you make them. All changes made in /system/ are mirrored in the main directory in any corresponding folders or files in real-time as you make them.

** - I recommend removing all widgets and shortcuts/folders or any other items that may be on your desktop before starting this process. You can always put back anything that survives later when you are done.

** - It might be a good idea to turn off GPS, Mobile Networks, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi before proceeding. Optional, but recommended.

Feel free to skip any apps you want to keep along the way, and you don't necessarily have to go in order, but it'll be cleaner that way. Part of the organization behind it is to make it easy for the user to remember what they are doing, and break it down into smaller blocks so you'll lose less progress if something goes wrong.

Now that we're past all that, lets get down to business.

Last edited:
Reactions: eismcsquare

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Part 1: Stock themes and wallpapers.

00 - Make sure your phone is set to the "System" theme before continuing (default theme). Then take a picture with your camera, or get a picture you like on your phone. Set this as your background wallpaper.

01 - Using Absolute System, uninstall the stock themes:

-com.tmobile.theme.Aubergine
+ /system/app/Aubergine.apk
+ /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.Aubergine

-com.tmobile.theme.Brooklyn
+ /system/app/Brooklyn.apk
+ /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.Brooklyn

-com.tmobile.theme.Jazz
+ /system/app/Jazz.apk
+ /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.Jazz

-com.tmobile.theme.Retro
+ /system/app/Retro.apk
+ /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.Retro

-com.tmobile.theme.Spring
+ /system/app/Spring.apk
+ /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.Spring

02 - Using Absolute System, uninstall the stock live wallpapers:

-com.android.wallpaper (Android Live Wallpapers)
+ /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk
+ /data/data/com.android.wallpaper

-com.htc.android.wallpaper (HTC Sense Live Wallpaper)
+ /system/app/Mode10Wallpapers.apk
+ /data/data/com.htc.android.wallpaper

-com.htc.android.image_wallpaper (HTC Slide Show Wallpaper)
+ /system/app/HtcImageWallpaper.apk
+ /data/data/com.htc.android.image_wallpaper

-com.android.magicsmoke (Magic Smoke Wallpapers)
+ /system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
+ /data/data/com.android.magicsmoke

-com.android.musicvis (Music Visualization Wallpapers)
+ /system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk
+ /data/data/com.android.musicvis

-com.htc.livewallpaper.streak (Streak Live Wallpaper)
+ /system/app/HTCLivewallpaperStreak.apk
+ /data/data/com.htc.livewallpaper.streak

Okay, we are done with Absolute System for the moment.

Fire up Root Explorer, and go to:

03 - /system/app/ (delete the files: )

-HtcImageWallpaper.odex
-HTCLivewallpaperStreak.odex
-LiveWallpapers.odex
-MagicSmokeWallpapers.odex
-Mode10Wallpapers.odex
-VisualizationWallpapers.odex

Still in Root Explorer, now go to:

04 - /system/customize/resource/ (delete the files: )

-htc_wallpaper_01.jpg
-htc_wallpaper_01_lockscreen.jpg
-htc_wallpaper_02.jpg
-htc_wallpaper_03.jpg
-htc_wallpaper_04.jpg
-htc_wallpaper_05.jpg
-htc_wallpaper_06.jpg
-tmo_wallpaper_01.png
-tmo_wallpaper_02.png
-tmo_wallpaper_03.png
-tmo_wallpaper_04.png
-tmo_wallpaper_05.png
-tmo_wallpaper_06.png
-tmo_wallpaper_grid_preview_01.png
-tmo_wallpaper_grid_preview_02.png
-tmo_wallpaper_grid_preview_03.png
-tmo_wallpaper_grid_preview_04.png
-tmo_wallpaper_grid_preview_05.png
-tmo_wallpaper_grid_preview_06.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_01.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_01_land.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_02.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_02_land.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_03.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_03_land.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_04.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_04_land.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_05.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_05_land.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_06.png
-tmo_wallpaper_preview_06_land.png
-wallpaper.jpg
-wallpaper.png

Still in Root Explorer, last place to go is:

05 - /system/etc/ (delete folder: )

-slideshow

(These are all the sample images for the HTC slideshow live wallpaper.)

06 - Exit Root Explorer, Reboot your phone to recovery. In CWM choose advanced and then "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Hit back and then "Wipe Cache Partition". Reboot your phone. (It will take a little while longer to boot since you wiped your cache, but not much)

After booting back up and making sure everything still works:

07 - Reboot into recovery, make a CWM Nandroid backup of your system. Make sure to back this up somewhere off the phone too.

Congratulations! You now have a recovery image of your phone with all of the stock themes and wallpapers removed.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE/EDIT: September 12th, 2011 -
    I am depreciating this thread and will no longer check on or support it. For more information on this topic:

See MT4GS Stock App Encyclopedia for information about the apps themselves.

See Bloater to make stock app removal easier then you could ever imagine it being.

UPDATE/EDIT: August 21st, 2011 -
    Posts 19 through 25 are a summary and how-to of what we have learned about removing apps from the stock rooted rom so far. Skip ahead if you want, otherwise the thread is a good read all the way through.

Now that we have a working S-OFF/Root procedure, a lot of us want to kill some of the stuff that came pre-loaded on our phones.

Root is required, and performing a backup through Clockworkmod is a necessity as well. Both backup and restore actions have been tested and working in CWM 4.0.0.9.

I am not responsible for what happens to your device after removing these files, so make sure you make a CWM backup BEFORE you start mucking around with this.

Some other threads that have been dealing with this for this device are Here, Here and Here. I would like to thank the people who have contributed, and continue to do so in those threads. I made this one in "themes and apps", as I think that people in the future coming in will look here first and this may cut down future confusion and questions.

There are a couple of ways you can accomplish this, but i'll start with the (almost) longest way. See the bottom of the post for other options.

We will be using a file manager to accomplish this task, "File Expert", free from the Google market. (I recommend "Root Explorer", a paid app, but if you've come this far you should get it at some point).

You will need to hit options, choose more, then Mount. Select "Mount as Read Write" to be able to delete the files/folders.

Listed below are the apps and what you have to delete to remove them.

Archived to code tags to make the post smaller. The summaries I wrote out are full page further in the thread, so it's easier to see the whole process.

Themes:
    Code:
    Aubergine
    /system/app/aubergine.apk
    /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.aubergine

Brooklyn
    /system/app/Brooklyn.apk
    /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.brooklyn

Jazz
    /system/app/Jazz.apk
    /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.jazz

Retro
    /system/app/Retro.apk
    /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.retro

Spring
    /system/app/Spring.apk
    /data/data/com.tmobile.theme.spring

Live Wallpapers
    /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk
    /system/app/LiveWallpapers.odex
    /data/data/com.android.wallpaper

Magic Smoke Wallpapers
    /system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
    /system/app/MagicSmokeWallpapers.odex
    /data/data/com.android.magicsmoke

Music Visualization Wallpapers
    /system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.apk
    /system/app/VisualizationWallpapers.odex
    /data/data/com.android.musicvis

Sense Live Wallpaper
    /system/app/Mode10Wallpapers.apk
    /system/app/Mode10Wallpapers.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.android.wallpaper

Streak Live Wallpaper
    /system/app/HTCLivewallpaperStreak.apk
    /system/app/HTCLivewallpaperStreak.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.livewallpaper.streak

Weather Live Wallpaper
    /system/app/HtcWeatherWallpaper.apk
    /system/app/HtcWeatherWallpaper.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.WeatherWallpaper

Widgets:
    Code:
    HTC Widget Download Manager
    /system/app/WidgetDownloadManager.apk
    /system/app/WidgetDownloadManager.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.wdm

Bookmark Widget 
    /system/app/htcbookmarkwidget3d.apk
    /system/app/htcbookmarkwidget3d.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.fusion.htcbookmarkwidget

Calculator Widget
    /system/app/htcCalculatorWidget.apk
    /system/app/htcCalculatorWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.android.fusion.calculator

Calendar Widget
    /system/app/htccalendarwidgets3d.apk
    /system/app/htccalendarwidgets3d.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.htccalendarwidgets

Clock Widget
    /system/app/htcclock3dwidget.apk
    /system/app/htcclock3dwidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.clock3dwidget

FM Radio Widget
    /system/app/com.htc.FMRadioWidget.apk
    /system/app/com.htc.FMRadioWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.FMRadioWidget

Friend Stream Widget
    /system/app/com.htc.FriendStream3DWidget.apk
    /system/app/com.htc.FriendStream3DWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.FriendStream3DWidget

Mail Widget
    /system/app/htcmailwidgets3d.apk
    /system/app/htcmailwidgets3d.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.htcmailwidgets

Messages Widget
    /system/app/com.htc.htcmsgwidgets3d.apk
    /system/app/com.htc.htcmsgwidgets3d.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.htcmsgwidgets3d

Music Widget
    /system/app/com.htc.MusicWidget.apk
    /system/app/com.htc.MusicWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.MusicWidget3D

Photo Widget
    /system/app/HtcPhotoWidget.apk
    /system/app/HtcPhotoWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.photowidget3d

Setup Widget
    /system/app/HtcSetupWidget.apk
    /system/app/HtcSetupWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.setupwidget

Sync Widget
    /system/app/com.htc.Sync3Dwidget.apk
    /system/app/com.htc.Sync3Dwidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.Sync3DWidget

Tips for Home Widget
    /system/app/HtcTipWidget.apk
    /system/app/HtcTipWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.rosiewidgets.tip

Trends Widget
    /system/app/com.htc.TrendsWidget.apk
    /system/app/com.htc.TrendsWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.Trends3DWidget

Twitter Widget
    /system/app/com.htc.Twitter3DWidget.apk
    /system/app/com.htc.Twitter3DWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.Twitter3DWidget

Weather Widget
    /system/app/HtcWeather3DWidget.apk
    /system/app/HtcWeather3DWidget.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.widget3d.weather

System-Type Apps:
    Code:
    App Sharing
    /system/app/appsharing.apk
    /system/app/appsharing.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.appsharing

AppPack
    /system/app/MallLite-4.0.92.apk
    /data/data/com.tmobile.appack

Backup
    /system/app/MobileBackup.apk
    /data/data/com.voxmobile.sync.mobilebackup2

Calculator
    /system/app/calculator.apk
    /system/app/calculator.odex
    /data/data/com.android.calculator2

Home Screen Tips
    /system/app/Protips.apk
    /system/app/Protips.odex
    /data/data/com.android.protips

Setup
    /system/app/HTCSetupWizard.apk
    /system/app/HTCSetupWizard.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.android.htcsetupwizard

Swype
    /system/app/Swype.apk
    /data/data/com.swype.android.inputmethod

T Mobile Device Carbon
    /system/app/TmobileAndroidDeviceCarbon-c42-n123.apk
    /data/data/com.zipwhip.devicecarbon.tmobile

T Mobile TV
    /system/app/com.mobitv.client.tmobiletvhd
    /data/data/com.mobitv.client.tmobiletvhd

Video Chat
    /system/app/qik.apk
    /data/data/com.qiktmobile.android

Apps:
    Code:
    Adobe Reader
    /system/app/AdobeReader.apk
    /data/data/com.adobe.reader

Bejeweled 2
    /system/app/Bejeweled2_trust5.apk
    /data/data/com.eamobile.bejeweled2_small

DT-Sync
    /system/app/desktopPointer-signed-v6.apk
    /data/data/com.doubletwist.desktopPointer

Facebook
    /system/app/HtcFacebook.apk
    /system/app/HtcFacebook.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.socialnetwork.facebook

Flickr
    /system/app/flickr.apk
    /system/app/flickr.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.socialnetwork.flickr

Friend Stream
    /system/app/FriendStream.apk
    /system/app/FriendStream.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.friendstream

Media Room
    /system/app/MediaRoom.apk
    /system/app/MediaRoom.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.MediaLauncher

Netflix
    /system/app/netflix-17-release-android-marketplace-upgrade.apk
    /data/data/com.netflix.mediaclient

Peep
    /system/app/HtcTwitter.apk
    /system/app/HtcTwitter.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.htctwitter

PhotoGrid
    /system/app/HtcPhotoGridWidget3D.apk
    /system/app/HtcPhotoGridWidget3D.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.rosiewidgets.photogridwidget3d

Polaris Office
    /system/app/PolarisOffice.apk
    /data/data/com.infraware.docmaster

Slacker Radio
    /system/app/slackerradio.apk
    /data/data/com.slacker.radio

Telenav GPS Navigator
    /system/app/TMOUS_Navigator.apk
    /data/data/com.telenav.app.android.telenav

Zinio Reader
    /system/app/ZinioReader.v2.03.3312.Regular.apk
    /data/data/com.zinio.mobile.android

ZS Provider
    /system/app/ZinioSettingsProvider.v2.03.3198.TMobile.Smartphone.apk
    /data/data/com.zinio.android.settings

I have removed all of these apps from my system, and it still runs fine. No problems.

You may get a crash report to send to HTC while removing some of these things (I denied it), but you can ignore it. You will get them it when removing themes for sure.

I don't see why using an app to remove these (like Absolute System) would be an issue - just make sure to go back and manually delete the .odex files, as such apps probably won't get them.

And, of course, you could always use a terminal emulator to (rm) remove the files/folders manually.

Also, for the more adventurous: (but it wasn't a problem)

Internet
    /system/app/Browser.apk
    /system/app/Browser.odex
    /data/data/com.android.browser

(I replaced with "Opera Mobile" by Opera Software ASA - Free app)

Mail
    /system/app/mail.apk
    /system/app/mail.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.android.mail

(Removing mail does not prevent GMAIL from working correctly)

Music
    /system/app/HtcMusic.apk
    /system/app/HtcMusic.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.music

Music Enhancer
    /system/app/HtcMusicEnhancer.apk
    /system/app/HtcMusicEnhancer.odex
    /data/data/com.htc.musicenhancer

(I replaced with "Android Music" by JRTStudio - Free app)

If anyone else finds things they can safely remove, please post it for others to play with.

Have fun!

The camera app still works, but I haven't used all the features.

I would assume this still does work completely, though, because this is only getting rid of the sense launcher, and not the underlying frameworks that power it. (which I hear the camera is dependent upon.)

A solid day of running ADW instead of sense as my launcher has been fine, i'll go play with the camera for a little while and get back to you with a more complete answer to this.
    Also, just found this.

Post by rmk40, talking about freezing bloatware apps on the HTC Sensation. There are some apps ppl have frozen on there that are also on the MT4GS. I'm going to look through it now and will check back later.

Yep, the camera app works completely. I tested all the modes, and used all the different manual settings in the last option. Nothing was broken, it was all fine.

Removing just the sense launcher and replacing it with something else has no impact on the camera, and I would imagine anything else that requires sense frameworks. We should test anything before making that blanket statement, though, but consider camera.apk to be tested and working without the sense launcher.

Also, just found this.

That's awesome - while i'm busy re-inventing the wheel, way to pick up where someone else left off. I glanced through there quickly, but i'm kinda having fun figuring this out. I definitely look forward to hearing what you've learned browsing through, and i'll get there at some point.

Thanks clicked on that helpful post!

The Notes app from:

Yep, you were right on. Delete the .apk in bold, then go delete the folder in bold. Once you delete the folder in /data/data, then your second line about the database in notes becomes moot, since it will have already been deleted.