[MOD] NFC on AT&T Stock ROM (CWM)

Search This thread

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
This flash contains an xml permissions file and the Tag.apk from the Canadian ROMs.

Once you've flashed this you will have the option to turn on NFC in Wireless Settings as well as be able to install NFC apps from the Play Market.

Obligatory Directions:

1. Reboot your phone into Recovery if you've already installed ClockworkMod Recovery. If you don't know if you have, you probably haven't. Go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526431
  2. Make a Backup! This doesn't do anything fancy, but I'm not responsible if you lose everything when flashing. CWM is still technically a Beta build for this phone
  3. Choose "install zip from sdcard"
  4. Choose either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending on where you saved it.
  5. Find your file and install it
  6. Restart. You now have NFC options.

Attachments

• g_note_nfc_on_fox689.zip
    352 KB · Views: 7,038
Last edited:

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
Yup, it's just disabled on the AT&T for some reason. If you take off your battery cover and look at it, the chip is built into the cover itself.

I tested transmission and receiving with a friend's Nexus. It works great.

Reactions: severinca

YellowGTO

Jul 3, 2007
PA
Samsung Galaxy Z Phone 4
So what can this be used for.

This flash contains an xml permissions file and the Tag.apk from the Canadian ROMs.

Once you've flashed this you will have the option to turn on NFC in Wireless Settings as well as be able to install NFC apps from the Play Market.

Obligatory Directions:

1. Reboot your phone into Recovery if you've already installed ClockworkMod Recovery. If you don't know if you have, you probably haven't. Go here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1526431
  2. Make a Backup! This doesn't do anything fancy, but I'm not responsible if you lose everything when flashing. CWM is still technically a Beta build for this phone
  4. Choose either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" depending on where you saved it.

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
NFC uses

http://www.pcworld.com/article/210861/what_googles_nfc_android_phones_will_mean_for_you.html

http://mashable.com/2010/05/06/near-field-communication/

http://www.nfcworld.com/2011/03/30/36757/nfc-task-launcher-android-tag-application/

TLDR: Potential Uses - secure payment, data transfer, product information, location check in, task launching with personalized tags (which the phone can write to), and lots of other stuff. There is even a company developing house door locks using NFC and newer cars with push button start already use it to detect if the keys are near the car.

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
Not yet. Google Wallet is a Nexus only app right now.

Edit: The app can be downloaded, but it does a check to see what the phone is. I'm just going to leave it installed so I can know when it updates.

Last edited:

Truaim

Dec 27, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Think this will cause us problems when nfc is legitimately released? And has anyone attempted a device change through build.prop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
As in changing the phone name in the build.prop to a nexus? I'm not really sure what that would do. I'll look up the model number and report back what happens when I change it.

As for flashing this, I doubt it will cause any more problems than the root kernel and bloat removal will. Unless AT&T has some spyware buried into the phone, they shouldn't know, nor should they care.

This flash literally just tosses in the permissions XML and adds the control program from the other phones to the system apps. EVERYTHING else was already in the ROM, including the Nfc.apk and libraries. Kinda annoying, but AT&T is wanting it locked out on phones until they're proprietary NFC payment system is released.

Personally, I wanted to play with launch tags, so I figured out how to unlock it, and then made a CWM flashable that does all the heavy lifting I figured out by tearing through the Rodgers and Telus ROMs.

itsjdmyo

May 18, 2006
just installed through CWM and works perfectly. are there any apps currently out there similar to "Google Wallet" that I can use in order to pay wireless? And the NFC tags are pretty cool, i will experiment with that as well.

Reactions: fox689

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
I know the Paypal app allows for direct phone to phone interactions using it, but I haven't tested how it works. I just got it working this morning, so I haven't done anything other than build the zip for everyone else.

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
Ok, so editing the build.prop to say it's a Nexus S 4G didn't work. Wallet started force closing in the background. I'll put it on my list of things to research.

kimocal

Jul 28, 2006
Pilot Hill, CA
I got my NFC tags from Amazon today. Using NFC Task Launcher it can trigger Tasker tasks. Pretty cool. Already got one set for putting my phone in "sleepy time mode" when I place it on my night stand. Next up is to route the audio streaming via Bluetooth to speakers in the bedroom. Will be nice for playing music in the shower.

Sent magically through the air from the mighty Note!

fox689

Mar 21, 2011
Memphis
What tags did you buy? I'm wanting to do the same now that I have it working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

kimocal

Jul 28, 2006
Pilot Hill, CA
See earlier posts. They are the mifare Ultralight ones. Really limited capacity. If you try to initiate a complex tasker task directly you won't have enough room. A work around when using tasker is to create the complex task, call it task 1. Then create another task that runs task 1. So it might be better to get the larger capacity ones. They're rewritable although you can "lock" them to make 'em read only.

You can leave NFC on all the time so you just tap your tag. Hopefully that doesn't kill the battery. But I created a simple tasker widget to easily turn it on and off when I want without having to go into settings.

Sent magically through the air from the mighty Note!

Last edited:

littlewierdo

Dec 10, 2010
Ok, I know the instructions posted are pretty cut and dry, Im wondering whether NFC can be enabled on stock & unrooted?

Im going to be making a few assumptions here, feel free to correct anything, I just purchased this phone 4 days ago and have not yet done anything 'hacky' yet, just been reading.

Im pretty sure the stock recovery (which I have not yet tried to boot into) is the 3e recovery which prevents unsigned code from being flashed (3e on the Cappy did the same thing). This would prevent just renaming this to update.zip and flashing yes?

And, 'if' you were rooted, would this affect the flash counter thing everyone has been talking about? I only ask because, coming from a Cappy, I never had to deal with this flash counter nonsense so Im a bit unsure what causes this counter to increase...

alexige

Nov 26, 2010
So Cal
Ok, I know the instructions posted are pretty cut and dry, Im wondering whether NFC can be enabled on stock & unrooted?

Im going to be making a few assumptions here, feel free to correct anything, I just purchased this phone 4 days ago and have not yet done anything 'hacky' yet, just been reading.

Im pretty sure the stock recovery (which I have not yet tried to boot into) is the 3e recovery which prevents unsigned code from being flashed (3e on the Cappy did the same thing). This would prevent just renaming this to update.zip and flashing yes?

And, 'if' you were rooted, would this affect the flash counter thing everyone has been talking about? I only ask because, coming from a Cappy, I never had to deal with this flash counter nonsense so Im a bit unsure what causes this counter to increase...

You need CWM for any flashing. I'm coming from cappy too and tried to keep up here since launch. It seems like the flash counter only goes up with Odin flashes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

capite

Dec 1, 2007
Chicago
Will this work on SAUROM?

I've got the latest SAUROM and the ATT fix. Would this work on that? Is there any downside to giving it a try?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Obligatory Directions:

As in changing the phone name in the build.prop to a nexus? I'm not really sure what that would do. I'll look up the model number and report back what happens when I change it.

As for flashing this, I doubt it will cause any more problems than the root kernel and bloat removal will. Unless AT&T has some spyware buried into the phone, they shouldn't know, nor should they care.

This flash literally just tosses in the permissions XML and adds the control program from the other phones to the system apps. EVERYTHING else was already in the ROM, including the Nfc.apk and libraries. Kinda annoying, but AT&T is wanting it locked out on phones until they're proprietary NFC payment system is released.

Personally, I wanted to play with launch tags, so I figured out how to unlock it, and then made a CWM flashable that does all the heavy lifting I figured out by tearing through the Rodgers and Telus ROMs.
    Yup, it's just disabled on the AT&T for some reason. If you take off your battery cover and look at it, the chip is built into the cover itself.

I tested transmission and receiving with a friend's Nexus. It works great.
    just installed through CWM and works perfectly. are there any apps currently out there similar to "Google Wallet" that I can use in order to pay wireless? And the NFC tags are pretty cool, i will experiment with that as well.
    I've got the latest SAUROM and the ATT fix. Would this work on that? Is there any downside to giving it a try?

It's already enabled in Saurom. Just goto Settings-->Wireless and Network-->NFC near the bottom.