[ROM] *Unofficial* 4.2.2 CarbonDev Rom from source using gcc 4.7

Search This thread

Paulicat

Mar 12, 2013
How's the battery life on this?

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

As the builder I may be a bit biased, but it has been very good for me, 2 days usage is normal.
Big thing I noticed on all android roms is turning off location services inside the MAPS app settings. GPS etc still works for maps and other GPS aware apps, but the location services options inside the maps app are a real battery killer for me.

Hopefully some unbiased user reports come in to validate what I just said...

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
How's the battery life on this?

As the builder I may be a bit biased, but it has been very good for me, 2 days usage is normal.
Big thing I noticed on all android roms is turning off location services inside the MAPS app settings. GPS etc still works for maps and other GPS aware apps, but the location services options inside the maps app are a real battery killer for me.

Hopefully some unbiased user reports come in to validate what I just said...

And as a Power User, i'd say you can't judge battery life based on others experience.

As a human i would say that you violated forum rules by posting the same post in different thread and that basically consist of spam.

As a dev i'd say stop asking that question and find it by yourself.

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
Hmmmm... Cannot use the home button.

Long press on menu gives me home.

Home vibrates but doesn't do anything...

I've brought up the navbar and tried it. nope.. reinstalling now.

flashed gapps. works. whew!

Last edited:

Paulicat

Mar 12, 2013
Hmmmm... Cannot use the home button.

Long press on menu gives me home.

Home vibrates but doesn't do anything...

I've brought up the navbar and tried it. nope.. reinstalling now.

flashed gapps. works. whew!

Maybe dirty install?
I've certainly never seen that behaviour before, the home back and menu buttons have worked flawlessly for me (and I assume everyone else) since day one. Never once have the hard buttons not worked right...

naifs_br10

Nov 21, 2010
toronto
And as a Power User, i'd say you can't judge battery life based on others experience.

As a human i would say that you violated forum rules by posting the same post in different thread and that basically consist of spam.

As a dev i'd say stop asking that question and find it by yourself.

I only asked cause. I'm. A battery freak secondly I don't have time. To check every single. Rom cause i work long hectic hours. Outside hence I'm. Looking for. Something steady and good on battery life.

All the above. I know nobody really cares. Or bothers much.

Apologies. To. The forums and their rules and to the devs but circumstances have forced me to ask this question on multiple rom. Threads

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
Sooo, about the bluetooth a2dp.

I've tried a few adapters (all work with stock rom)

The cheap dmzmusic adapters from ebay china somewhere have the sound bug I posted about earlier.
like this (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Bluetooth-A2DP-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Music-Receiver-Adapter-for-Speaker-Phone-/400498341144?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item5d3f8fb518&_uhb=1)

The samsung hm3700 does not have it.
http://warpc.ca/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=415

I've tried with my nexus 7 with the same adapters (currently on cm10.1 grouper) and they all work.

Otherwise, no bugs up to here, 2nd day in.

Paulicat

Mar 12, 2013
Sooo, about the bluetooth a2dp.

I've tried a few adapters (all work with stock rom)

The cheap dmzmusic adapters from ebay china somewhere have the sound bug I posted about earlier.
like this (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-Bluetooth-A2DP-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Music-Receiver-Adapter-for-Speaker-Phone-/400498341144?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item5d3f8fb518&_uhb=1)

The samsung hm3700 does not have it.
http://warpc.ca/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=415

I've tried with my nexus 7 with the same adapters (currently on cm10.1 grouper) and they all work.

Otherwise, no bugs up to here, 2nd day in.

Only thing I'm thinking is possibly kernel related?
Have you tried CM10.1 on your LGOG?
If so, do the bluetooth adapters all work there without issue?

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
Thats funny. :D
Have you tried both V1 and V2 of carbondev??
I built V1 of Carbondev and V1 of aokp the same day kernel would be identical in that build so that would take kernel out of the equation...

Right, I remember you mentioning the soft resets in AOKP.

confirmed : rootbox, same thing.

downloading carbon v1 right now.

You did mention that they were compiled using different gcc. 4.6 aokp, 4.7 Carbon. Still worth a shot. I'll try it in a few minutes

Paulicat

Mar 12, 2013
confirmed : rootbox, same thing.

downloading carbon v1 right now.

You did mention that they were compiled using different gcc. 4.6 aokp, 4.7 Carbon. Still worth a shot. I'll try it in a few minutes

I'll confirm whether that statement of 4.6/4.7 is correct...I'll update when I know for certain.

Confirmed, AOKP compiled with 4.6 GCC, carbondev compiled with 4.7 GCC...
Very possible its a compiler bug considering CM10.1, Rootbox, CarbonDev all built with 4.7.
Given some time I could try compiling a build of CarbonDev with 4.6.

Last edited:

mathsz

Mar 6, 2012
Quebec
I'll confirm whether that statement of 4.6/4.7 is correct...I'll update when I know for certain.

Confirmed, AOKP compiled with 4.6 GCC, carbondev compiled with 4.7 GCC...
Very possible its a compiler bug considering CM10.1, Rootbox, CarbonDev all built with 4.7.
Given some time I could try compiling a build of CarbonDev with 4.6.

fwiw : same thing for carbon v1.

cheers :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well after much internal thought I decided to release a CarbonDev rom with Houcha kernel I built from source.
    I used Haze028's guide along with great help from chadouming for device/vendor/houcha kernel work.
    I have tried upgrading the kernel using the releases in the houcha kernel thread, that works to keep up to date on kernel changes.
    Its built and tweaked for Canadian E971-E973 so thats all I can confirm working.
    Its very stock except I chose to use Novalauncher as this is my own launcher of choice.
    I baked in AwesomeBeats (credits to pimp my rom) for some quality sound as using dspmanager wasn't working for me at all.
    As far as I know, everything is working, I tested all main functions as best I can but I'm sure someone will find something that's not working.
    If you do, let me know about it here and I'll try to fix it.
    Thanks to everyone I mentioned and anyone I forgot who helped along the way!

P.S If you're running CM10.1 or Houstonns AOKP/CM/PA, you can install this without KDZ'ing, just wipe data/factory reset/dalvik and install.
    Otherwise you will likely have to KDZ to the first Freegee able kdz.
    If someone wants to test please do and let me know!

Some highlights I didn't mention:
    Automatic Zip aligning
    Using houcha built in opensourced mpdecision and thermald (binaries for these two are fully removed from filesystem).
    <update> ONLY ICS modem working, modem files I had were both ICS. </update>
    I setup a "tweaks" (look for "kerneltweaks" file in /system/etc/init.d) file for colour settings and for setting your own governor and io scheduler at boot (I don't like using the Performance Control gui for setting at boot, I use it just to monitor settings).
    Colour settings are active but the governor and io are remmed out. The governor io scheduler settings that are remmed out are what I use.

Download V1 here:
    http://d-h.st/d4L

Download V2 here, fixed Hangout video call crash:
    http://d-h.st/m4O

For manual fix, put this file in /system/lib/soundfx (replacing existing file) to fix Hangout video call crash. V2 fixed rom uploaded.
    http://d-h.st/Yxy

Modem links removed because I found out they are were both the same ICS modem just renamed. Sorry for the confusion.
    First post updated with new V2 build!
    Its mostly just a sync update with CarbonDev and houcha sources.
    I've been running it since last week and its all good so far.
    Try it out and let me know!
    First post updated, Hangouts video call crash fixed in a new V2 rom, plus a manual fix to prevent having to reload the entire rom.
    I am running it on an AT&T e970, and everything is working perfectly. Looking forward to a resync and update. There are some minor settings commits on carbons github that have been updated since you released. I have not run into any issues. Everything is working perfectly fine. Thanks for the great rom.
    Hey Pauli, a little off topic but I was just wondering if you use cwm or twrp and if you use cwm which version and where do you get it? Thanks

Sent from my Optimus G using xda app-developers app

I use cwm6027touch_v14.4.6_geebus.zip from kenteks thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2125998