[Q] I need to factory reset. I don't care about losing data.

Search This thread

Baurblades43

Oct 17, 2013
Eugene
Okay, so I don't know the technical term for what's happened to my phone, although, I can tell you that I cannot turn it on with the power button. The only way to get it on is plug it into my charger via micro usb. Recovery mode is unable to work. I can get into download mode though. And if I don't hit any buttons, it just said "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".

I just want to be able to use my phone again, I'm totally alright with having to wipe every bit of data off of it and have it absolutely factory new. How can I do this? I could use Odin or Kies. However, Kies can't recognize my phone and just says "Device not responding. To resolve the issue, reboot the device." I'm tried dozens of times, it just can't find my device.

Please help.. I am phoneless and I could care less about losing data at this point.

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Okay, so I don't know the technical term for what's happened to my phone, although, I can tell you that I cannot turn it on with the power button. The only way to get it on is plug it into my charger via micro usb. Recovery mode is unable to work. I can get into download mode though. And if I don't hit any buttons, it just said "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".

I just want to be able to use my phone again, I'm totally alright with having to wipe every bit of data off of it and have it absolutely factory new. How can I do this? I could use Odin or Kies. However, Kies can't recognize my phone and just says "Device not responding. To resolve the issue, reboot the device." I'm tried dozens of times, it just can't find my device.

Please help.. I am phoneless and I could care less about losing data at this point.

Some people have had success with pressing the volume keys while in that "Firmware upgrade" error, causing the phone to continue to a normal boot. It's worth a try. Failing that, download the proper ROM image for your phone and flash it using ODIN.
If you don't know what build it has, I'd start with flashing a no-wipe MK2 image.

yooeee

Feb 22, 2008
Tucson
First, how'd you get to this point. Was this associated with rooting / flashing / something else? When you get into download mode, are you trying to Odin something in? It shouldn't say "Firmware upgrade encountered..." unless you're trying to push something. What happens when you get into recovery mode?

Second, do you know which factory image you started with? That's important, because if you started with an earlier image and flash an newer one, you can't go back. and the earlier the image, the easier the root.

This thread has no-wipe factory images. They're large files, so heads up.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301259

You need Odin working. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Some people have had success with pressing the volume keys while in that "Firmware upgrade" error, causing the phone to continue to a normal boot. It's worth a try. Failing that, download the proper ROM image for your phone and flash it using ODIN.
If you don't know what build it has, I'd start with flashing a no-wipe MK2 image.

I'd start with a MDK, earlier doesn't hurt, and I believe that's the first factory image released officially

and here's a full wipe image for MDK (erroneously called MKD in the title)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2289325
I'd try the No-Wipe images first

Baurblades43

Oct 17, 2013
Eugene
First, how'd you get to this point. Was this associated with rooting / flashing / something else? When you get into download mode, are you trying to Odin something in? It shouldn't say "Firmware upgrade encountered..." unless you're trying to push something. What happens when you get into recovery mode?

Second, do you know which factory image you started with? That's important, because if you started with an earlier image and flash an newer one, you can't go back. and the earlier the image, the easier the root.

This thread has no-wipe factory images. They're large files, so heads up.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301259

You need Odin working. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

I'd start with a MDK, earlier doesn't hurt, and I believe that's the first factory image released officially

and here's a full wipe image for MDK (erroneously called MKD in the title)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2289325
I'd try the No-Wipe images first

Well initially, yesterday my phone crashed and I couldn't get it back on, unless I charged it and a grey battery icon would pop up and it'd vibrate every few seconds but nothing would happen. I couldn't get into recovery there either. So I got into download mode and I looked for things that could get me into recovery mode so I could factory reset. I flashed something on it using Odin and it worked.. To a point. On startup(plugging phone in) It would bring me into the samsung logo and the blue text in the top right saying recovery, but then the phone would just stop. And it'd be in a boot loop doing this until I unplugged. Now I woke up this morning and I'm getting this new error from Kies. I have the files that I flashed it with last night.

yooeee

Feb 22, 2008
Tucson
Well initially, yesterday my phone crashed and I couldn't get it back on, unless I charged it and a grey battery icon would pop up and it'd vibrate every few seconds but nothing would happen. I couldn't get into recovery there either. So I got into download mode and I looked for things that could get me into recovery mode so I could factory reset. I flashed something on it using Odin and it worked.. To a point. On startup(plugging phone in) It would bring me into the samsung logo and the blue text in the top right saying recovery, but then the phone would just stop. And it'd be in a boot loop doing this until I unplugged. Now I woke up this morning and I'm getting this new error from Kies. I have the files that I flashed it with last night.

how did it crash in the first place? and also, it's important to know what you flashed through odin to understand what's going on. we may never figure that out so.... it looks like you lost recovery. the only thing left is download mode. (If you can't go into download mode, I don't know any other options.)

read up on which factory image applies to you and odin it. you'll start fresh and then need to root to.

Baurblades43

Oct 17, 2013
Eugene
how did it crash in the first place? and also, it's important to know what you flashed through odin to understand what's going on. we may never figure that out so.... it looks like you lost recovery. the only thing left is download mode. (If you can't go into download mode, I don't know any other options.)

read up on which factory image applies to you and odin it. you'll start fresh and then need to root to.

I'm totally fine with losing my root, and my old rom and stuff.. I could care less. I know how to root and its very easy along with getting safestrap going again. However, I was on MK2 and I don't see that in the list of images.

(I wasn't able to put my link in, but I just saw something on a website regarding Odin, and using the "re-partition" check box. I used that(it said to on the instructions) and the thing I just saw said to NEVER use that) I flashed that and with pit. I'm new to odin sooo yeah I don't necessarily know everything that goes on.

Also, the phone crashed in what seemed like a completely random flash... I was literally just on snapchat, things froze up, and my phone started doing the boot animation for Hyperdrive 15(The rom I was running) but it never finished, half way through, the phone turned off.

yooeee

Feb 22, 2008
Tucson
Mk2 came after those, so do a search. With Odin you shouldn't touch anything except load the file in the second slot. I forget what it's called. Read the Odin tutorials

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Baurblades43

Oct 17, 2013
Eugene
Mk2 came after those, so do a search. With Odin you shouldn't touch anything except load the file in the second slot. I forget what it's called. Read the Odin tutorials

So this factory image, wouldn't I want one that DOES wipe the phone? Since I just want everything to be clean and new again?

Baurblades43

Oct 17, 2013
Eugene
maybe, but hopefully this will get you a recovery that you can wipe. there are wipe images out there

Okay, I finally flashed the MK2 no-wipe on it after many hours of downloading. Now it says "RESET" on odin and it showed samsung logo, and the recovery blue text in the top left, but then that just went to a black screen, and now I'm just getting vibrating every 2 seconds with a black screen.

EDIT: Okay so I tried seeing if download mode still worked, and it did, so I just told it to restart the phone from that and now its back to what it was doing originially. It shows the gray battery with the circle loading thing frozen in place, that stays there for a second, then screen goes black, vibrates, and it repeats this.

Last edited:

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
Okay, I finally flashed the MK2 no-wipe on it after many hours of downloading. Now it says "RESET" on odin and it showed samsung logo, and the recovery blue text in the top left, but then that just went to a black screen, and now I'm just getting vibrating every 2 seconds with a black screen.

Flash full wipe version...also are you flashing as PDA or phone?

yooeee

Feb 22, 2008
Tucson
I'll try to find it when I get to my laptop. There's a possibility your phone just bonked hardware wise. Hard to say.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Thank you for all of the help by the way. I really don't want to go from a GS4 to an iPod 3G... Ugh I would die

Heres the MK2
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

If that doesn't work for you try MJ7
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507253
Those are the only two that you can go back and forth between.

Reactions: yooeee

Baurblades43

Oct 17, 2013
Eugene
Alright so I flashed the full wipe correctly and everything looked like it worked fine. But it just says "RESET" on Odin and its trying to start the phone and it shows the samsung logo but its defaulting to Recovery Mode, but after the samsung logo, and the blue text in the upper left corner "Recovery Booting..." it just black screens and boot loops like that. I believe this is because I flashed a thing on Odin yesterday that was supposed to make the phone go into Recovery(it wasn't working by holding volume and power). Any way to get rid of this stupid default recovery thing?

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Alright so I flashed the full wipe correctly and everything looked like it worked fine. But it just says "RESET" on Odin and its trying to start the phone and it shows the samsung logo but its defaulting to Recovery Mode, but after the samsung logo, and the blue text in the upper left corner "Recovery Booting..." it just black screens and boot loops like that. I believe this is because I flashed a thing on Odin yesterday that was supposed to make the phone go into Recovery(it wasn't working by holding volume and power). Any way to get rid of this stupid default recovery thing?

If MK2 is not getting you fixed up try MJ7. That should fix you right up. You should be back to business as usual. Sometimes you just need to try try again lol

Baurblades43

Oct 17, 2013
Eugene
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts