Anyone port the ICS leak's radios and kernel yet?

Search This thread

dewhashish

Jan 29, 2012
I know there were 2 leaks of ICS for the phone, but has anyone been able to update the ICS ROMs in the threads to use the new kernel and radios? There's still some data issues and we're using a GB kernel

EDIT: i meant leaks, stupid typo

flamefangahs

Jul 12, 2009
The kernel is based on GB because of the locked bootloader. At least that's how I am to understand it. In other words I think that the custom ROMs can be improved using the leaked ROMs but they'll still have to remain based on the GB kernel. Unless you update your stock system to ICS that is. I think the biggest thing devs should focus on right now is a way to safely upgrade to ICS where downgrading is possible in order to stay on Verizons official upgrade path.

As it stands, the OTA will look for GB 219 when upgrading so those early adopters won't be able to get future upgrades. Unless devs find a way to downgrade or trick the update that is.

Everything I've said could be wrong however this is how I have come to understand it.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

Reactions: DarkMidnight

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
The kernel is based on GB because of the locked bootloader. At least that's how I am to understand it. In other words I think that the custom ROMs can be improved using the leaked ROMs but they'll still have to remain based on the GB kernel. Unless you update your stock system to ICS that is. I think the biggest thing devs should focus on right now is a way to safely upgrade to ICS where downgrading is possible in order to stay on Verizons official upgrade path.

This is why you need kexec - you can load the ICS kernel dynamically, without corrupting your GB install.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

rumgool

Feb 16, 2012
GAINESVILLE
This is why you need kexec - you can load the ICS kernel dynamically, without corrupting your GB install.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Actually, upgrading to ICS leak is probably the way to go. We can now upgrade from leak 200 to 206, giving us the ability to stay on the upgrade path. Since the XDA forums are dead for the Droid 4, I suggest everyone keep up at droidforums.

Here are the instructions for upgrading from leak 200 to 206:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/209619-get-unstuck-ics-leak-200-aka-upgrading-200-206-instructions.html

Also, I believe Hashcode is working on bringing Safestrap 2.0 to the new ICS leak based on the new kernel, and will be working on getting our ROMs on the new kernel as well.

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis
Since the XDA forums are dead for the Droid 4, I suggest everyone keep up at droidforums.

droidforums is about as dead for the Droid 4 as is XDA. I am really surprised how little interest people have in this phone. I guess I am one of the few that still loves physical keyboards. Only drawback on this phone is the non-removable battery. Otherwise it is rock solid. Had the original Tilt, then TP and TP2. Had the G2 on T-mobile, but reception on that phone was not good and T-mobile Network in the US sucks.

Reactions: DarkMidnight

rumgool

Feb 16, 2012
GAINESVILLE
droidforums is about as dead for the Droid 4 as is XDA.

This is true, I was just mentioning since most of the recent information regarding the ICS leak has been on droidforums so checking it out would fill everyone in on whats going on. Because basically development for the GB kernel is probably going to come to a halt and future development will be based on the new ICS kernel, including the existing AOSP ROMs.

teookie

Feb 5, 2011
I have Hashcode's stuff running on my kindle fire. We will all be in for a treat once he starts focusing on D4. He's done really really good work on the kindle.

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
I know there were 2 leaks of ICS for the phone, but has anyone been able to update the ICS ROMs in the threads to use the new kernel and radios? There's still some data issues and we're using a GB kernel

EDIT: i meant leaks, stupid typo

They won't be able to do so. What they will be able to do is make their builds work off/with the new kernel/radios flashed by the leak.

So Hashcode will have two builds.

1) - works on phones running the current stock GB kernel.

2) - works on phones running the leaked ICS kernel.

There is still a locked bootloader so you can't flash unsigned kernels/boot.img. For the leaked "system" files to help you need the ICS kernel. The only way to get the ICS kernel is to flash the leak.

So the leaks are great news for people wanting an AOKP or CM9 build running fully functional....on their leak installed phones. Not much help for those who do not want to flash the leak.

dewhashish

Jan 29, 2012
I'll definitely flash the leak once root has been released for 4.0.4 (in case OTA rootkeeper doesn't work) and hashcode releases safestrap 2.0 for the leak.

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
I'm presently running Hashcode and the rest of the STS Dev Team's CM9 release with modifications for the ICS kernel leak on my D4 that has been flashed to the .206 leak; I just pulled their work from GitHub and compiled it myself with a few little tweaks.

So far it's working great, face unlock and the camera is working perfectly and GSM/WDCMA performance is awesome, I don't seem to have the problem of under-reported GSM signal like in the stock MotoBlur leak.

(Note that I'm in Canada and using Bell Mobility, not in the US on Verizon so I can't say if LTE is functioning properly).

I just flashed it with Safestrap v1.09 for the D4; a little tricky since the bootmenu doesn't accept the Menu/Search softkey input to allow you to enter Safestrap, so I had to boot in BP Tools mode to force loading up the Safestrap Recovery. I made some additional tweaks to the build.prop file as well but am really impressed.

Won't be long before Hashcode puts up an official release, but I definitely recommend trying it out if you're up for it. If Hashcode doesn't mind, I could share a .zip of the build I made if anyone out there is interested.

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium

moah909

Oct 16, 2010
Sekret
I'm presently running Hashcode and the rest of the STS Dev Team's CM9 release with modifications for the ICS kernel leak on my D4 that has been flashed to the .206 leak; I just pulled their work from GitHub and compiled it myself with a few little tweaks.

Do you think you create a guide or go into more detail how you did this? I'm not quite sure what their git is.

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011

I just flashed it with Safestrap v1.09 for the D4; a little tricky since the bootmenu doesn't accept the Menu/Search softkey input to allow you to enter Safestrap, so I had to boot in BP Tools mode to force loading up the Safestrap Recovery. I made some additional tweaks to the build.prop file as well but am really impressed.

This is what I'm trying to fix right now. Seems like the menu/home/search/back buttons are handled as part of the touchscreen. So the new Safestrap has to handle looking for virtual buttons.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: podspi

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
This is what I'm trying to fix right now. Seems like the menu/home/search/back buttons are handled as part of the touchscreen. So the new Safestrap has to handle looking for virtual buttons.

If you are making good headway, then disregard this. But you could use a scheme similar to FireFireFire for the er, Kindle Fire :cool:

Either use a physical button (a return to the old hold the X from the D1, perhaps?) or a few taps to the screen?

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
If you are making good headway, then disregard this. But you could use a scheme similar to FireFireFire for the er, Kindle Fire :cool:

Either use a physical button (a return to the old hold the X from the D1, perhaps?) or a few taps to the screen?

Right now, I'm treating the front buttons like they are a special portion of the touch screen (basically any touch past 960 pixels down is considered the "button row", and then I divided the width up into 4 spots for button presses: menu, home, back and search respectively. (This is in the recovery itself as well as the splashscreen which triggers off of menu)

If that fails, Ill just use hard keys for D4's Safestrap temporarily.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: podspi

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
..or maybe the volume buttons (I bet it requires less modification than implementing support for the digitizer)

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I just put up an updated Droid4 2.00 Safestrap for use w/ the new MotoICS leaks:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688610

BE SURE TO MAKE AN INITIAL BACKUP OF NON-SAFE SYSTEM BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

You will use the "System" backup to restore back to stock .206 to update later.

I have the D4 CM9 / AOKP builds for the MotoICS leaks almost ready and I'll post those soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As it stands, the OTA will look for GB 219 when upgrading so those early adopters won't be able to get future upgrades. Unless devs find a way to downgrade or trick the update that is.

Everything I've said could be wrong however this is how I have come to understand it.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA
    Since the XDA forums are dead for the Droid 4, I suggest everyone keep up at droidforums.

droidforums is about as dead for the Droid 4 as is XDA. I am really surprised how little interest people have in this phone. I guess I am one of the few that still loves physical keyboards. Only drawback on this phone is the non-removable battery. Otherwise it is rock solid. Had the original Tilt, then TP and TP2. Had the G2 on T-mobile, but reception on that phone was not good and T-mobile Network in the US sucks.

Right now, I'm treating the front buttons like they are a special portion of the touch screen (basically any touch past 960 pixels down is considered the "button row", and then I divided the width up into 4 spots for button presses: menu, home, back and search respectively. (This is in the recovery itself as well as the splashscreen which triggers off of menu)

If that fails, Ill just use hard keys for D4's Safestrap temporarily.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2