[GUIDE] Use NFC to unlock your phone, Galaxy S3 or other!

Search This thread
UPDATE!!! There's a new XPosed Framework module in town that makes this whole thread obsolete. Check out the new NFC Unlock module, forked from the NFC LockScreenOff Enabler module already used in this project. Way simpler, fewer moving parts to configure, and works well. Check it out. Otherwise, this has been a fun way to learn how to use Tasker! :D Thanks, all!

Original Post

This is a guide to show you how to set up your phone to be unlocked by an NFC tag. There are several other threads on the subject for various phones and carriers, but it took me several weeks worth of research and testing to come up with something that actually worked on my phone, and this tutorial is the culmination of that effort. In theory, it should work for a wide variety of ROMs (including Stock), phones and carriers, and even survive ROM updates (provided you maintain root), but I have only tested it on a Sprint Galaxy S3 (model d2spr) that is rooted and running CyanogenMod 10.1.

DISCLAIMER! I am NOT responsible for any damage to your phone, loss of data, use of your phone, or spontaneous sharknadoes that may occur if you try these steps! It worked for me, but I make no guarantees that it will work for you! Back up all your data and your ROM, and use this at your own risk!

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
  • An NFC capable phone, like your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 with Root Access enabled
  • An NFC tag, such as Samsung TecTiles

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

STEP 1: Install the software!
Install all of the software listed above.
Open XPosed Framework and enable the MoDaCo Toolkit OR the NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk in the Modules tab

STEP 2: Turn on NFC scanning all the time
Normally, Android only scans for NFC tags when the phone is unlocked. We need to scan for NFC tags when the phone is locked, and in our case, when the screen is off. Open the MoDaCo Toolkit app and check the box to Enable NFC when screen is off under Settings -> Wireless

WARNING!!! Turning on NFC scanning when the screen is off may adversely affect your battery life!

STEP 2 ALTERNATIVE: Turn on NFC scanning at Lockscreen
Open the NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk app and select Enable NFC when phone is locked, but the screen is on. This option should be a little easier on your battery. (Thanks to @nacron for finding this!)

STEP 3: Make Secure Settings a Device Administrator
Open Secure Settings and go to the Configuration Menu by tapping the wrench icon in the upper-right hand corner. Once there, check the box next to Device Administrator and select "Activate" on the confirmation screen.

STEP 4: Teach Tasker how to Lock and Unlock your phone
We can either do this the easy way, or the hard way.

Easy Way - Import the Tasks
  1. Download and unzip NFC-Unlock-Tasker-Tasks.zip and copy the enclosed XML files to your phone
  2. Open Tasker and long-press the Tasks tab
  3. Select Import and open the files that you just copied
  4. There is no step 4.

Hard Way - Manually Enter the Tasks
If you don't trust the import function, or just want to learn more about creating tasks in Tasker, you can create the tasks manually.

Open Tasker and select the Tasks tab. Create a new Task by tapping the big "+" sign, name it "LOCK", and add the following actions:

1. Select Task -> If
    • Under Condition on the LEFT side of the condition, type TRUN (the variable for Tasks Running)
    • Tap the Condition Operator icon (the grey button in the middle) and select Doesn't Match, or !~
    • On the RIGHT side of the condition, type *Unlock*
  2. Under the If statement, select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
    Select Keyguard and set the following options:
    • Select radio button On
  3. Select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
    Select Lock Device and set the following options:
    • Box for Device Admin Enabled is checked
  4. Select Task -> End If

Create a new Task named "Unlock", and add the following actions:
  1. Select Task -> Stop And select the Lock Task that we created earlier.
  2. Select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
    Select Wake Device and set the following options:
    • Wake Type: Screen & Keyboard Lights On
    • Duration: 30 seconds
  3. Select Task -> Wait and set duration to 100 MS
  4. Select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
    • Select radio button On
  5. Select Task -> Wait and set duration to 100 MS
  6. Select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
    • Select radio button Off
    • Check box Run in background (No Notification)

If you run this Task now, you probably won't notice anything different right away. However, if you lock your phone and then unlock it, you'll notice that any security that you had set up is now bypassed. That's why we needed to teach Tasker how to lock your phone, as well.

STEP 5: Teach NFC Task Launcher to Unlock your phone
  • Open NFC Task Launcher and create a new task for NFC named "Unlock Phone".
  • Take your NFC tag and follow the instructions on the screen to write the tag for this task.
  • Add a new Task by tapping the big "+" icon in the upper right corner.
    • Select Category Tasker
    • Check "Tasker Task" and tap "Next"
    • Type "Unlock" in the field next to the magnifying glass icon under Tasker Task and tap "Add to Task"

Congratulations! You can now unlock your phone with your NFC tag! Of course, as we mentioned above, this leaves your phone without any passcode protection that you may have previously enable. Which leads us to our final step...

STEP 6: Teach Tasker to Lock your phone
  • Open Tasker and select the Profiles tab
  • Create a new Profile with the big "+" at the bottom of the screen and select Event
  • Select Display -> Display Off
  • Go back to the Profiles page by tapping the "< Event Edit" icon in the upper left corner.
  • Select the Lock Task that you made earlier

Now when the screen goes off, your phone is secure again.

That's it! My hope is that this tutorial is easy to follow so that anyone who wants to unlock their phone with an NFC tag can get it working. While there are a lot of steps, I tried to make them clear and specifically looked for a method that was flexible enough to allow me to update my phone or even use a different phone with this method, without having to track down a modified NFC.apk for my specific firmware every time I wanted to update.

In regards to how battery life is affected by having NFC turned on all the time, my personal experience shows no appreciable decrease in battery life. I went all day yesterday without charging (about 15 hours) with typical usage for me, which includes 2-3 hours of podcast playback over both wired and bluetooth headphones, occasional GMail and Facebook usage, Solitaire, and 45-60 minutes of phone calls, which is on par with what I was getting before the hack. As with all things, your mileage may vary. If battery life becomes an issue, try the new NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk plugin that @nacron found instead of the MoDaCo one which gives you the On At Lockscreen option in addition on Always On. It should save you a bit on battery life.

Many thanks to the authors of the software I used (XPosed Framework, MoDaCo Toolkit Plugin, NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk, NFC Task Launcher, Tasker, Secure Settings Plugin), as well as this thread and this web page for giving me the framework to construct this rather elaborate NFC hack. :)

I would love to hear from others if this works on other phones.

Changelog:
  • 2013-09-05 - Add NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk option for NFC on at Lockscreen (thanks @nacron for this!)
  • 2013-08-14 - Changes to the Tasker Tasks that make the lock and unlock functions run a bit more smoothly by avoiding collisions. (i.e., if you're unlocking the phone, it won't try to lock it until the unlock is done.) I've also added easy-to-import XML files for the Tasks, so you don't have to type them in manually anymore!
  • 2013-08-09 - Initial release (can you "release" a process?)

Attachments

• NFC-Unlock-Tasker-Tasks.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:
New instructions and importable task files make getting this set up a whole lot easier! Updates in the OP!

I've attached a cheap NFC tag to my watch wristband, cleverly disguised by gold nail polish, and unlock by NFC is now my preferred unlock method.

Attachments

• watch-band-nfc.jpg
    watch-band-nfc.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,671

sebidraghici

Dec 24, 2011
Bucharest
Hello,

After trying this on a Samsung Galaxy S3 Stock 4.1.2 and Slim Bean (worked like a charm), I have found a glitch on the stock firmware. When making a call the screen would go off via the Proximity sensor so <b>Tasker</b> would lock the phone.

So I made a little addon to the following part and the problem stoped:

Original:

• Create a new Profile with the big "+" at the bottom of the screen and select Event
  • Go back to the Profiles page by tapping the "< Event Edit" icon in the upper left corner.

Modified:

[*] Select Display off (long-press) -> Add -> State -> Sensor -> Proximity sensor -> Check invert

That's it!

Now when you get a call and answer it Tasker will know that the proximity sensor is used and will not lock the phone
Hope it works for you too.

Thanks,
[/QUOTE]

lloydcabraham

Jun 21, 2010
This is great, thanks man but one problem. When I use my tag to unlock the phone, use the phone then hit the android home button to return to my default screen, it locks the phone instead. If I unlock it normally (Entering PIN) it doesn't display this behavior. What am I doing wrong.

This is great, thanks man but one problem. When I use my tag to unlock the phone, use the phone then hit the android home button to return to my default screen, it locks the phone instead. If I unlock it normally (Entering PIN) it doesn't display this behavior. What am I doing wrong.

Try adding a 200ms delay to the beginning of the LOCK Task. This seemed to make things a bit more predictable on my phone.

lloydcabraham

Jun 21, 2010
Try adding a 200ms delay to the beginning of the LOCK Task. This seemed to make things a bit more predictable on my phone.

Actually, already have added a delay at the beginning to the Lock task but it didn't do anything to correct the behavior to the Home button. I should probably add that I'm using this with an HTC One that already has a funky Home / Menu button configuration. Home button works fine when I unlock normally but seems to get remapped to go back to the lock screen when I unlock it using NFC.

bleAf!

Feb 3, 2012
Actually, already have added a delay at the beginning to the Lock task but it didn't do anything to correct the behavior to the Home button. I should probably add that I'm using this with an HTC One that already has a funky Home / Menu button configuration. Home button works fine when I unlock normally but seems to get remapped to go back to the lock screen when I unlock it using NFC.

Likewise. I have the same problem as well. The physical Home button just takes me back to my pin lockscreen if I had unlocked via NFC. If I unlocked my phone manually by entering my pin then everything just works fine.

EDIT: Should also say that my phone is the S3.

Last edited:
@lloydcabraham and @bleAf! , what version(s) of Android are you running? I'm on 4.2.2 (CM 10.1.2), and my Home button is working as expected. I'm also using Nova Launcher as opposed to the stock Android launcher. Also, I presume that you haven't inadvertantly remapped the Home button, either by Tasker or some other setting or app? (Forgive me if some of this sounds like basic tech support stuff; just spitballing ideas since I can't reproduce.)

Reactions: bleAf!

lloydcabraham

Jun 21, 2010
@lloydcabraham and @bleAf! , what version(s) of Android are you running? I'm on 4.2.2 (CM 10.1.2), and my Home button is working as expected. I'm also using Nova Launcher as opposed to the stock Android launcher. Also, I presume that you haven't inadvertantly remapped the Home button, either by Tasker or some other setting or app? (Forgive me if some of this sounds like basic tech support stuff; just spitballing ideas since I can't reproduce.)

Not at all, I appreciate your help. I'm using ElementalX kernel that remaps the HTC logo as a menu button but leaves the back and home button alone. Maybe that's the issue? It's just funny that I only have the problem if I use my NFC to unlock the phone using the supplied scripts. Oh well, no biggie but if you can help me figure it out, it would be great. I can send you a cwm backup (wiped of course) if you'd like to try my setup?

Not at all, I appreciate your help. I'm using ElementalX kernel that remaps the HTC logo as a menu button but leaves the back and home button alone. Maybe that's the issue? It's just funny that I only have the problem if I use my NFC to unlock the phone using the supplied scripts. Oh well, no biggie but if you can help me figure it out, it would be great. I can send you a cwm backup (wiped of course) if you'd like to try my setup?

Actually, it would probably be easier for you to just try a different kernel and see if it still works. :) Given the description of what it does, my guess is that might be the issue.

It also might be an issue with the XPosed Framework or MoDaCo plugin on the HTC One specifically. (It does have its own special installation procedure.)

- Dave

bleAf!

Feb 3, 2012

I'm on 4.1.2 (Samsung based rom with stock kernel). I'm also using Nova launcher and I just tried stock Touchwiz launcher but same result.

I'm thinking it may be just something to do with Samsung Touchwiz or HTC Sense based rom (If lloydcabraham is also running HTC based rom or stock).

Thanks for your help stealthdave.

nacron

Dec 30, 2005
Hawaii
For some reason I can't get my phone to recognize the NFC tag when the screen is off or even in the lock screen. Only when I'm past the lock screen will the NFC tag recognize. The xposed framework was part of the ROM i'm using (M.O.A.R.) and I just installed the MoDaCo mod via the link. I checked off NFC on always and restarted several times but it still won't recognize when the screen is off.

[EDIT]
Got it to work using this xposed module instead of the MoDaCo one for always on NFC.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2122019

Also having issues of lock coming back on after doing any action post unlock via NFC. I think it's a hack Samsung put together for the latest firmware upgrade after the whole problem with the bypassing the lockscreen by going through the emergency screen. The op wouldn't have this issue as he's not using a TW rom. I wonder if there is a way to have it input the key instead of bypassing the key.

[EDIT 2]
Overcame this issue by using the secure settings to reset the pin to nothing when unlocking via NFC and enable the pin when the screen goes off. This method even prevents the phone from locking during a call. I have a new issue of the swipe screen coming back right after NFC unlock. I'll post my findings a little later. It's not the most elegant of fixes but it prevents the lock screen from coming up when pressing the home button. I also removed all the waits and made lights and keyboard on for 5 seconds, makes unlocking faster.

The action for password/pin reset in Secure Settings is in All Actions > Dev Admin Actions > Password/Pin. You just select disabled when unlocking and it removes your existing pin and when you select enabled for lock, it prompts you to enter your pin twice in the settings. Not sure how secure this is or where it stores your password/pin. The only problem with this method is that you'll have to change the password/pin in secure settings if you decide to change your password/pin in the android settings or you'll end up with 2 different passwords/pins

Not sure if this works if you have pattern unlock. Haven't had time to test that.

So this is how my unlock task looks like:

1. Stop task lock
2. Secure Settings > configuration > Screen and keyboard lights on for 5 seconds
3. Secure Settings > configuration > clear password
4. Secure Settings > configuration > Keyguard disabled

and my lock is simply

1. Secure Settings > sonfiguration > Set Pin

and my profile is

Display Off > Lock

[EDIT3]
Figured out why it was presenting the swipe lock screen when doing a quick NFC unlock removal . I'm using the hacked version of AnyTAG NFC Launcher, instead of the NFC Tag Task Launcher, that detects NFC Tag removal as well as placement. Thought this app would be more extensible in the future. The only problem with this is that it will keep insisting on launching on NFC Tag removal if you don't set something so I just set the task to do nothing and that was locking the swipe screen again. I just set it to the same task as unlock and it doesn't pull up the swipe screen anymore.

Also, the battery replacements from Sprint suck. It's a generic sprint branded battery that DOES NOT have an NFC antenna in it. Picked up the replacement along with tectiles yesterday and couldn't figure out for the longest time why this unlock thing wasn't working. Their battery part number is BSML71021L. Gotta call them up to see if they can give me back my old battery or give me a real samsung replacement.

[EDIT 4]
After trying to get this to work consistently, I've disabled it. I can get tasker to remove/reenable the pin consistently but only sometimes will it clear the lockscreen automatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: stealthdave
For some reason I can't get my phone to recognize the NFC tag when the screen is off or even in the lock screen. Only when I'm past the lock screen will the NFC tag recognize. The xposed framework was part of the ROM i'm using (M.O.A.R.) and I just installed the MoDaCo mod via the link. I checked off NFC on always and restarted several times but it still won't recognize when the screen is off.

[EDIT]
Got it to work using this xposed module instead of the MoDaCo one for always on NFC.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2122019

Thanks for this find! I've added it to the OP for others. It's worked pretty consistently for me with this new module for the 30 minutes I've had it installed, and hopefully it will lead to better battery life. (Battery life wasn't too bad, but I was starting to notice a difference with NFC always on.)

[EDIT 4]
After trying to get this to work consistently, I've disabled it. I can get tasker to remove/reenable the pin consistently but only sometimes will it clear the lockscreen automatically.

I'm sorry to hear that it's not working for you. Hopefully Google will eventually enable this functionality in Android proper. The Moto X certainly shows that it's not only possible, but practical.

- Dave

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE!!! There's a new XPosed Framework module in town that makes this whole thread obsolete. Check out the new NFC Unlock module, forked from the NFC LockScreenOff Enabler module already used in this project. Way simpler, fewer moving parts to configure, and works well. Check it out. Otherwise, this has been a fun way to learn how to use Tasker! :D Thanks, all!

Original Post

This is a guide to show you how to set up your phone to be unlocked by an NFC tag. There are several other threads on the subject for various phones and carriers, but it took me several weeks worth of research and testing to come up with something that actually worked on my phone, and this tutorial is the culmination of that effort. In theory, it should work for a wide variety of ROMs (including Stock), phones and carriers, and even survive ROM updates (provided you maintain root), but I have only tested it on a Sprint Galaxy S3 (model d2spr) that is rooted and running CyanogenMod 10.1.

DISCLAIMER! I am NOT responsible for any damage to your phone, loss of data, use of your phone, or spontaneous sharknadoes that may occur if you try these steps! It worked for me, but I make no guarantees that it will work for you! Back up all your data and your ROM, and use this at your own risk!

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
    • An NFC capable phone, like your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 with Root Access enabled
    • An NFC tag, such as Samsung TecTiles

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

STEP 1: Install the software!
    Install all of the software listed above.
    Open XPosed Framework and enable the MoDaCo Toolkit OR the NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk in the Modules tab

STEP 2: Turn on NFC scanning all the time
    Normally, Android only scans for NFC tags when the phone is unlocked. We need to scan for NFC tags when the phone is locked, and in our case, when the screen is off. Open the MoDaCo Toolkit app and check the box to Enable NFC when screen is off under Settings -> Wireless

WARNING!!! Turning on NFC scanning when the screen is off may adversely affect your battery life!

STEP 2 ALTERNATIVE: Turn on NFC scanning at Lockscreen
    Open the NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk app and select Enable NFC when phone is locked, but the screen is on. This option should be a little easier on your battery. (Thanks to @nacron for finding this!)

STEP 3: Make Secure Settings a Device Administrator
    Open Secure Settings and go to the Configuration Menu by tapping the wrench icon in the upper-right hand corner. Once there, check the box next to Device Administrator and select "Activate" on the confirmation screen.

STEP 4: Teach Tasker how to Lock and Unlock your phone
    We can either do this the easy way, or the hard way.

Easy Way - Import the Tasks
    1. Download and unzip NFC-Unlock-Tasker-Tasks.zip and copy the enclosed XML files to your phone
    2. Open Tasker and long-press the Tasks tab
    3. Select Import and open the files that you just copied
    4. There is no step 4.

Hard Way - Manually Enter the Tasks
    If you don't trust the import function, or just want to learn more about creating tasks in Tasker, you can create the tasks manually.

Open Tasker and select the Tasks tab. Create a new Task by tapping the big "+" sign, name it "LOCK", and add the following actions:

1. Select Task -> If
      • Under Condition on the LEFT side of the condition, type TRUN (the variable for Tasks Running)
      • Tap the Condition Operator icon (the grey button in the middle) and select Doesn't Match, or !~
      • On the RIGHT side of the condition, type *Unlock*
    2. Under the If statement, select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
      • Select radio button On
    3. Select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
      Select Lock Device and set the following options:
      • Box for Device Admin Enabled is checked
    4. Select Task -> End If

Create a new Task named "Unlock", and add the following actions:
    1. Select Task -> Stop And select the Lock Task that we created earlier.
    2. Select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
      Select Wake Device and set the following options:
      • Wake Type: Screen & Keyboard Lights On
      • Duration: 30 seconds
    3. Select Task -> Wait and set duration to 100 MS
    4. Select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
      • Select radio button On
    5. Select Task -> Wait and set duration to 100 MS
    6. Select Plugin -> Secure Settings then tap Edit.
      • Select radio button Off
      • Check box Run in background (No Notification)

If you run this Task now, you probably won't notice anything different right away. However, if you lock your phone and then unlock it, you'll notice that any security that you had set up is now bypassed. That's why we needed to teach Tasker how to lock your phone, as well.

STEP 5: Teach NFC Task Launcher to Unlock your phone
    • Open NFC Task Launcher and create a new task for NFC named "Unlock Phone".
    • Take your NFC tag and follow the instructions on the screen to write the tag for this task.
    • Add a new Task by tapping the big "+" icon in the upper right corner.
      • Select Category Tasker
      • Check "Tasker Task" and tap "Next"
      • Type "Unlock" in the field next to the magnifying glass icon under Tasker Task and tap "Add to Task"

Congratulations! You can now unlock your phone with your NFC tag! Of course, as we mentioned above, this leaves your phone without any passcode protection that you may have previously enable. Which leads us to our final step...

Now when the screen goes off, your phone is secure again.

That's it! My hope is that this tutorial is easy to follow so that anyone who wants to unlock their phone with an NFC tag can get it working. While there are a lot of steps, I tried to make them clear and specifically looked for a method that was flexible enough to allow me to update my phone or even use a different phone with this method, without having to track down a modified NFC.apk for my specific firmware every time I wanted to update.

In regards to how battery life is affected by having NFC turned on all the time, my personal experience shows no appreciable decrease in battery life. I went all day yesterday without charging (about 15 hours) with typical usage for me, which includes 2-3 hours of podcast playback over both wired and bluetooth headphones, occasional GMail and Facebook usage, Solitaire, and 45-60 minutes of phone calls, which is on par with what I was getting before the hack. As with all things, your mileage may vary. If battery life becomes an issue, try the new NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk plugin that @nacron found instead of the MoDaCo one which gives you the On At Lockscreen option in addition on Always On. It should save you a bit on battery life.

Many thanks to the authors of the software I used (XPosed Framework, MoDaCo Toolkit Plugin, NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk, NFC Task Launcher, Tasker, Secure Settings Plugin), as well as this thread and this web page for giving me the framework to construct this rather elaborate NFC hack. :)

I would love to hear from others if this works on other phones.

Changelog:
    • 2013-09-05 - Add NFCLockscreenoffEnabler.apk option for NFC on at Lockscreen (thanks @nacron for this!)
    • 2013-08-14 - Changes to the Tasker Tasks that make the lock and unlock functions run a bit more smoothly by avoiding collisions. (i.e., if you're unlocking the phone, it won't try to lock it until the unlock is done.) I've also added easy-to-import XML files for the Tasks, so you don't have to type them in manually anymore!
    • 2013-08-09 - Initial release (can you "release" a process?)
    Hello,

After trying this on a Samsung Galaxy S3 Stock 4.1.2 and Slim Bean (worked like a charm), I have found a glitch on the stock firmware. When making a call the screen would go off via the Proximity sensor so <b>Tasker</b> would lock the phone.

So I made a little addon to the following part and the problem stoped:

Original:

Modified:

[*] Select Display off (long-press) -> Add -> State -> Sensor -> Proximity sensor -> Check invert

That's it!

Now when you get a call and answer it Tasker will know that the proximity sensor is used and will not lock the phone
    Hope it works for you too.

Thanks,
    [/QUOTE]
    New instructions and importable task files make getting this set up a whole lot easier! Updates in the OP!

I've attached a cheap NFC tag to my watch wristband, cleverly disguised by gold nail polish, and unlock by NFC is now my preferred unlock method.

Thats slick man. I may have to use that for myself lol :good:
    Hi, can I use this method to unlock my LG Lucid2?

I want to use it on GSM network...

Wrong kind of "unlock", I'm afraid. This unlocks your screen so that you can bypass the lock screen; it doesn't do anything for carriers locking the phone to their network. Think of this as using an NFC tag as your password.