[Q] Galaxy Tab 3 (GT-P5210) + MX Player + DTS Codec

Search This thread

Ripperoo

Dec 17, 2010
Hey Guys

Just got a Galaxy Tab 3 (GT-P5210) and I'm struggling to get MX Player to play MKVs with DTS audio.

I've been to the "MX Player Custom Codec with DTS Support" thread and followed the instructions, but still no audio when playing back MKVs with DTS audio.

The codec I downloaded for my device was "x86-SSE3 [MD5:3dea0d71e4db915aab777316c697ef23]"

But, one thing I noted was that in step 6 it states:
"Navigate into the folder you put on your device. It will list all five library files. Press OK"

The zip I downloaded only had one file within it (libffmpeg.mx.so), so am I doing something wrong?

When I try play a movie with DTS audio, I get this message:

codec_not_supported.png

When I select the downloaded 'Custom Codec', the player restarts and then displays the following:

unsupported_device.png

cannot_load.png

Any ideas what I'm missing guys?

Last edited:

Mussels84

May 18, 2013
guides outdated, you only need the one file.

did you remember to switch your audio playback over to software?

Mussels84

May 18, 2013
The settings I had selected at the time of original post were as follows:
mx_player_decoder.jpg

What exactly do I need to select to enable DTS playback?

wrong settings... once you actually play the video, you can pick what decoder for audio and video in there. pick software audio and choose the relevant track.

Ripperoo

Dec 17, 2010
wrong settings... once you actually play the video, you can pick what decoder for audio and video in there. pick software audio and choose the relevant track.

Thanks for the reply, but something must be amiss somewhere with the way I have it configured as I tried that and still couldn't get it to work.

Anyhow, I've give up on MX Player for playing back network/SMB shares and paid for 'Archos Video Player' and also downloaded he 'Archos - All Codecs' (from m4rk3t) and everything seems to play fine now over my local network.

In fact, I cannot believe I haven't came across 'Archos Video Player' before.

It actually very good at video playback as you would expect, but it can also scrape movie and TV data from various online databases in much the same way as XBMC on PC can (but obviously not as configurable).

I'm just gutted didn't discover this a couple of years ago as the time wasted faffing around with various programs, different options and plenty of tweaking far outweighs the £3.99 spent on the 'Archos Video Player'.

In fact, my first PMP was an 'Archos 704 WiFi 80GB' (around 2008), which used to sell @ around £400 and I still cannot work out how they never managed to dominate the current market in such devices with them having a massive headstart on everyone else.

Shame, as they made some sturdy kit too.

Last edited:

Mussels84

May 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply, but something must be amiss somewhere with the way I have it configured as I tried that and still couldn't get it to work.

Anyhow, I've give up on MX Player for playing back network/SMB shares and paid for 'Archos Video Player' and also downloaded he 'Archos - All Codecs' (from m4rk3t) and everything seems to play fine now over my local network.

In fact, I cannot believe I haven't came across 'Archos Video Player' before.

It actually very good at video playback as you would expect, but it can also scrape movie and TV data from various online databases in much the same way as XBMC on PC can (but obviously not as configurable).

I'm just gutted didn't discover this a couple of years ago as the time wasted faffing around with various programs, different options and plenty of tweaking far outweighs the £3.99 spent on the 'Archos Video Player'.

In fact, my first PMP was an 'Archos 704 WiFi 80GB' (around 2008), which used to sell @ around £400 and I still cannot work out how they never managed to dominate the current market in such devices with them having a massive headstart on everyone else.

Shame, as they made some sturdy kit too.

the setting is the little musical note in the very top right of MX player, once you start playing a video. you choose software decoder there, and the audio track you want and it works.

i use MX player for all my network playback needs, trouble free.

Ripperoo

Dec 17, 2010
Just an update to say WOW!

This app has made my tablet what I have been crying out for since getting my 'ASUS TF101' back in November 2011.

This is it!

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here some screen captures of the 'Archos Video Player' widget (which can be re-sized to fill the whole screen as I have).

One screen for movies, one screen for TV shows etc.

MooVees & TeeVee

The widget even lets you scroll through the contents of you SMB folder (once it's been indexed) and quickly populates the screen with thumbnails as you scroll up/down.

Clicking the thumbnail then lauches the movie.

Awesome!

Maybe not for everyone, but this is just what I've been looking for.

Last edited:

Ripperoo

Dec 17, 2010
the setting is the little musical note in the very top right of MX player, once you start playing a video. you choose software decoder there, and the audio track you want and it works.

Maybe it's something else with my configuration then as I did this earlier with a movie containing DTS audio and I just got the same error messages as I did originally.

I even tried downloading and installing the x86 codec again, but got the 'Unsupported device' message once more.

Anyhow, no looking back now.

For me personally, 'Archos Video Player' is what I've been looking for.

Primarily, I want my tablets to be PMPs and this is what 'Archos Video Player'.

Thanks for your help.

Mussels84

May 18, 2013
wait you said x86, maybe thats why. mines ARM. (tab 3 8.0)

could be that it behaves different between the two.

Ripperoo

Dec 17, 2010
wait you said x86, maybe thats why. mines ARM. (tab 3 8.0)

could be that it behaves different between the two.

It could be!

What device are you using?

I know when I check my 'Decoder' settings, there is an option to 'Download custom codec' and it says underneath 'Please download x86 type cusom codec' and even when I follow this route to obtain the codec, I still get the same errors.

Just been having a mess around with the 'Archos Video Player' and discovered that everything seems to play fine on the 'Samsung Galaxy Tab 3' in 720p MKV format over the network (don't have 1080p the experiment with).

However and probably due to it's age, some movies seem a bit choppy on the 'ASUS TF101'.

More than happy now tho'.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts