[LIST] Devices that CAN, CAN'T or HAVE WiFi hotspot support

Search This thread

OndraSter

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 27, 2009
Prague
Hi,
as we (or some of us) know, Internet Sharing in Mango requires the WiFi chipset to be able to work in AP mode.

I found that OEMs were using two chipsets: Broadcom 4325 (a/b/g, BT, FM) and 4329 (a/b/g/n, BT, FM).

The difference is not just in the missing N in 4325, but also lack of AP mode.

I will be checking today all (most) of the devices that I will get my hands on their ROMs to see, what chipset they have and make list of them here.

BRCM 4329 equipped phones that HAVE wifi hotspot working
- Sammy Omnia 7 - info
- Sammy Focus - info
- HTC Mozart - in 5.01 ROM! Use the same method for unlocking as ^
- HTC Titan -- aka all new Mango launched phones
- HTC Radar (Omega?) -- aka all new Mango launched phones

BRCM 4329 equipped phones and are WAITING (aka support AP mode):
- HTC HD7
- HTC 7 Pro
- HTC Surround
- HTC Trophy
- LG E900 (missing SoftAP in drivers)

BRCM 4325 equipped phones (aka unable to support AP mode):

UPDATE: Unknown phones, under investigation!!
- Dell Venue Pro

I might be wrong somewhere though!

Thanks to Snake. for few more devices!

Last edited:

OndraSter

Mar 27, 2009
Prague
Thanks for update, I didn't have time back then anymore, and today I spent making the hotspot actually work :D.

I am adding another table - working hotspot :)

Silent Patriot

Mar 10, 2007
Consolation prize for DVP owners

If it's any consolation for DVP owners, I've found that the USB tethering crack works just fine with Mango. Getting HSDPA speeds, avg 3.5 down / 1.5 up.

Figures Dell used the cheap WLAN chip.

pantsaregood

Jan 27, 2011
Dell really managed to botch the DVP, didn't they? A year later and new problems are still surfacing.

It really is sad. I initially wanted a DVP. I liked the keyboard and screen. I ended up getting an HD7 instead, though. DVP originally looked like the absolute best WP7 handset.

Gahgah

Mar 31, 2008
What about the LG devices. I heard some dude saying he has internet connection sharing enabled...

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Bogehoj

Jul 28, 2008
LGE900 Optimus 7 don't

Hi
Looking at the service manual of LG Optimus 7 page 93 the component at U702 is a Samsung SWB-B25 taking care of BT/WiFi/FM -so no Broadcom 4329 here :(

EDIT:
Just looked at the Omnia 7 service manual: It uses Samsung SWB-B23 as BT/WiFi and SI47709 as FM Radio

SWB-B25 might be the SWB-B23 with embedded FM
The Broadcom 4329 chipset is perhaps embedded in the Samsung SWB chips?

So there are still hope :)
Brgds Morten
Optimus7 owner

Last edited:

rainzz

Aug 7, 2010
LG E900 (Optimus 7)

I heard from microsoft representative that LG E900 (Optimus 7) will get ICS enabled through firmware update. We just need to wait for that update to come from LG.

OndraSter

Mar 27, 2009
Prague
Okay, the good news is that LG E900 HAS BRCM 4329. The bad news is, there is not SoftAP in the drivers yet.

Wondering if you copy-pasted Sammy's drivers that have support for it to LG and added missing registry entries for SoftAP, whether it would work or not... Anybody gonna volunteer? :D

- HTC HD7
- HTC 7 Pro
- HTC Mozart
- HTC Surround
- HTC Trophy
Here's response to my query to HTC:

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

Thanks for your reply.

Just now we've confirmed that we don't have hotspot or Internet tethering for HTC 7 Mozart. We've only got Internet pass through. Terribly sorry for the previous wrong information.

As for the Microsoft my phone, our windows 7 phone don't support this account.

Best Regards,

Sammy

Quite disappointing:(

@OndraSter - do you think our expert members can over come this. Thanks

EDIT:

I am bringing this matter up to the Malaysian Consumers Tribunal (http://ttpm.kpdnkk.gov.my/portal/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&lang=en). Any purchasers from Malaysia would like to join me, please PM me.
Thank you.

Last edited:

OndraSter

Mar 27, 2009
Prague
Here's response to my query to HTC:

Quite disappointing:(

@OndraSter - do you think our expert members can over come this. Thanks

I am downloading new 5.01 ROM for Mozart so I will check later. I got those phones from Snake. on previous page. I will check whether this ROM finally has at least drivers and if not, what BRCM WiFi does it use.

Arktronic

Dec 5, 2006
Okay, the good news is that LG E900 HAS BRCM 4329. The bad news is, there is not SoftAP in the drivers yet.

Wondering if you copy-pasted Sammy's drivers that have support for it to LG and added missing registry entries for SoftAP, whether it would work or not... Anybody gonna volunteer? :D
I can. Not sure if it's possible to copy DLLs to \windows on the E900 though.

OndraSter

Mar 27, 2009
Prague
Okay, good news for Mozart users: The 5.01 ROM posted in dev section CONTAINS SoftAP drivers and everything for the hotspot. So just deploy that ICS unlock and you should be good to go!

misha_brman

Nov 29, 2007
Just realized the phone I was talking about is Lg Quantum running latest Mango bits. Any idea if IC Sharing is supported on this device?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    as we (or some of us) know, Internet Sharing in Mango requires the WiFi chipset to be able to work in AP mode.

I found that OEMs were using two chipsets: Broadcom 4325 (a/b/g, BT, FM) and 4329 (a/b/g/n, BT, FM).

The difference is not just in the missing N in 4325, but also lack of AP mode.

I will be checking today all (most) of the devices that I will get my hands on their ROMs to see, what chipset they have and make list of them here.

BRCM 4329 equipped phones that HAVE wifi hotspot working
    - Sammy Omnia 7 - info
    - Sammy Focus - info
    - HTC Mozart - in 5.01 ROM! Use the same method for unlocking as ^
    - HTC Titan -- aka all new Mango launched phones
    - HTC Radar (Omega?) -- aka all new Mango launched phones

- HTC HD7
    - HTC 7 Pro
    - HTC Surround
    - HTC Trophy

BRCM 4325 equipped phones (aka unable to support AP mode):

UPDATE: Unknown phones, under investigation!!
    - Dell Venue Pro

I might be wrong somewhere though!

Thanks to Snake. for few more devices!
    BRCM 4329 equipped phones

HTC 7 Mozart
    HTC 7 Surround
    HTC 7 Trophy
    Samsung Focus

BRCM 4325 equipped phones
    Dell Venue Pro

Have not found any info on the LGs. Sorry

PS: 802.11 a/b/g/n neexistuje, iba b/g/n
    An update:

The LG-C900/B/K Series (LG Optimus Quantum) is physically capable of Internet Sharing. The C900K did receive a firmware update that turned it on. By installing the firmware for the C900K on my C900B (SaskTel), I now have Internet Sharing working WELL on my phone. In fact, it works flawlessly. No idea, though, if LG is planning on officially releasing firmware that enables Internet Sharing on any of the other Optimus Quantums, they are still claiming that it is a hardware issue not a software defficiency. So, we need to bug them and call them on it until they give in and fix it! Also, contact your providers, please, and bug them to push LG, too. Obviously Telstra in Australia must have bugged LG enough to get them to move on it or they wouldn't have it yet, either. We need enough people speaking out before they will seriously listen!

In the mean time, if anyone else would like to put the LG-C900K firmware on their Optimus Quantum phone, the instructions can be found in my response to a Microsoft Answers question:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppics/internet-sharing-on-lg-c900b/ac81a316-f3d0-4105-bf77-df7b4b477d35
    (seven comments down)

In order for mms (multimedia messaging system) features to work, and perhaps some other carrier features, you will also need to follow these instructions after you're all done with the others:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-wppeople/problem-with-sendingreveicing-mmsmultimedia/7834506f-c60d-4eb6-b04a-9829131922ee?page=18&tm=1327626182238
    (page 18 if it doesn't take you there automatically, seven comments down)

Please be aware that this IS risky (although there if only a little risk). Read instructions through and make sure that you understand them before starting. Everything is done at your own risk, and none of this is endorsed officially by Microsoft, LG, or ISPs. So... enjoy your Internet Sharing!!

Wanted to update everyone on some feedback I got from LG that looks like it actually *may* be more accurate. Unfortunately, it means that we will probably not see an update with Internet Sharing anywhere in North America, and for those of us using the Australia Telstra firmware it may be less healthy/safe. They said:

"Thank you for your comments. Delay was a result of looking into this internally, but we have an answer for you! The reason it wasn't made available as a feature in the software update for the LGC900B phone was due to test resu...lts regarding the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR). The SAR is a North American requirement specified from the Federal Communications Commission and Industry Canada, which would explain why flashing your phone with Australian software (C900K) made it possible for internet sharing. Please note we do not support flashing software meant for other phones. Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding this. Thank you."

(Original Facebook conversation: facebook.com/#!/LGCanada/posts/10150725301499377)