S-OFF still possible anymore with latest phones?

Search This thread

xtacydima

May 10, 2010
I had a phone replacement done after my power button stopped working properly, and the latest phone comes with what appears to be the latest firmware and latest everything.

Is it possible to still get S-OFF anymore or did they disbale that all too well?

My phone info:
VLE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.15.0000
RADIO-1.13.50.05.31
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Dec 14 2012,17:10:57:-1

I tried to downgrade via different RUU's to lower firmware's but the HBOOT and Radio versions stay, only the software version downgrades.

I can easily always get back to Unlock Recovery, install Teamwin, and SuperSU for stock ROM afterwards.

I have tried all of the following with no success:
-Moonshine
-Rumrunner
-Revone method
-FacePalm method

I am sure I am doing all the steps right, got latest HTC driver, only via USB2.0, NO AV, no Firewall, and it just won't work. The furthest I got was with Rumrunner and after pouring first time and a few extra steps I got a WTF are you doing message.

So is it possible anymore, anything else I can try, or is it a dead cause?

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited:

proudazzzm

Feb 11, 2013
I had a phone replacement done after my power button stopped working properly, and the latest phone comes with what appears to be the latest firmware and latest everything.

Is it possible to still get S-OFF anymore or did they disbale that all too well?

My phone info:
VLE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.15.0000
RADIO-1.13.50.05.31
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Dec 14 2012,17:10:57:-1

I tried to downgrade via different RUU's to lower firmware's but the HBOOT and Radio versions stay, only the software version downgrades.

I can easily always get back to Unlock Recovery, install Teamwin, and SuperSU for stock ROM afterwards.

I have tried all of the following with no success
Moonshine
Rumrunner
Revone method
FacePalm method

I am sure I am doing all the steps right, got latest HTC driver, only via USB2.0, NO AV, no Firewall, and it just won't work. The furthest I got was with Rumrunner and after pouring first time and a few extra steps I got a WTF are you doing message.

So is it possible anymore, anything else I can try, or is it a dead cause?

Thanks for any help!!!

Which CID and build version your Phone Have?
TELUS_WWE_3.16.661.4?
TMOUS_3.14.531.11?

xtacydima

May 10, 2010
3.14.531.17 710RD - it's tmobile so should be TMOUS
CID according to my mmcblk0p4 file is T-MOB01

Last edited:

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
just tried
it stopped after chugging.........

Rumrunner and moonshine and this all appear to be related, same menu and startup screen

Sounds almost exactly like what happened to me. I could unlock boot loader, install TWRP, then even got superSU going. But couldn't do much more until I got my phone stuck in the HTC logo with red text boot loop.

I guess I will try either moonshine or firewater. Will let you know.

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
OK, you are not going crazy. Moonshine and firewater do not work. Tried them both.
Firewater crashes out of the adb shell.
Moonshine gets stuck on waiting for fastboot Try 3)

I give up.

xtacydima

May 10, 2010
OK, you are not going crazy. Moonshine and firewater do not work. Tried them both.
Firewater crashes out of the adb shell.
Moonshine gets stuck on waiting for fastboot Try 3)

I give up.

I know how you feel, every post that reports success basically directs you towards an older RUU so you can be on a different HBOOT, BUT, that is no longer the case as older RUU's will install OK - however - will only change the base software version, the HBOOT version remains the same now. Whatever they did to lock down the latest build they Nerf'd it good, unless a new exploit comes out I am afraid we are stuck.

What sucks is even after getting root back on stock ROM you don't truly have full control, I tried to delete some apk's and they are read only. Will try to mess with it later, I already invested way more hours than I care for on this thing.

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
Well I have a matching HBOOT I think. 2.15. In addition, there's a post saying it works - but it doesn't.

xtacydima

May 10, 2010
Well I have a matching HBOOT I think. 2.15. In addition, there's a post saying it works - but it doesn't.

I thought maybe Windows was somehow just in general the problem, so just tried in Ubuntu off of a live USB drive.

I got up to step 2 and after "Waiting for Device", next line "Device detected....."
got an "ERROR: ADB failure" and then it stops and goes back to default prompt

I think I officially give up

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
I almost want to pay the local expert $75 to s-off just to see if it could be done, but I did say "almost".
Not worth it.

What about the all in one tool that was discussed a while back?

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
OK so I have read that moonshine getting stuck on "waiting for fastboot" Try 3) could be because of antivirus or firewall/internet security.
When you see "................................." forever etc...

Maybe try and disable these???

Last edited:

Brushstroke

Aug 26, 2013
I don't think you're waiting long enough for Moonshine to finish. It took longer than three tries on the two phones I've done it on.

xtacydima

May 10, 2010
OK, finally got S-off
Thanks to a friend who is well experienced in the filed, here was how...

First, had to go to RUU: RUU_Ville_U_JB_45_S_TMOUS_3.14.531.11_Radio_1.13.50.05.31_10.30.50.08L_release_309489_signed_ICS_2
I was on 3.14.531.17 but it was too locked down to do anything
Then, after reboot, NO SuperSU, No sending a custom Recovery to the phone, just Dev unlock bootloader
Boot into normal stock ROM and run moonshine, worked on Win7 Pro 64bit with Firewall enabled and Symantec ver11 Corp edition both running on PC, of course latest HTC drivers

I think by sending a recovery and running SU somehow screwed it up, it was the only difference

I'll leave the RUU on my website for those whom need, not sure for how long though
http://d-innovations.org/RUU_Ville_....30.50.08L_release_309489_signed_ICS_2.exe.7z

Last edited:

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
WOW you got it working!!!!!! COOL! I may try it again!
And for the other poster -yes, my screen was filled with "................................" many times.

Thanks - downloading RUU now - please leave it up for a little while longer.

Last edited:

42freelancer

Jul 16, 2013
Port Saint Loser
OK, finally got S-off

First, had to go to RUU: RUU_Ville_U_JB_45_S_TMOUS_3.14.531.17_Radio_1.13.50.05.31_10.30.50.08L_release_309489_signed_ICS_2
Then, after reboot, NO SuperSU, No sending a custom Recovery to the phone, just Dev unlock bootloader
Boot into normal stock ROM and run moonshine, worked on Win7 Pro 64bit with Firewall enabled and Symantec ver11 Corp edition both running on PC, of course latest HTC drivers

I think by sending a recovery and running SU somehow screwed it up, it was the only difference

I'll leave the RUU on my website for those whom need, not sure for how long though
]

I just realized that this is the RUU I have been using. I have it on my laptop already. So you say no SU, no custom recovery, just unlock the bootloader and boot into the stock ROM? I have the WinDroid HTC ONE S Toolkit and Rumrunner and Moonshine. I'm going to try the Toolkit first, then Rumrunner, and then finally Moonshine, since you say Moonshine works and it's basically the same as Rumrunner as far as methods are concerned. The toolkit may, however, do something different. Who knows. Here goes EVERYTHING!

[EDIT] I did get it working! Moonshine is the only one that worked. Maybe because it's more specific to firmware, rather than only device. I'm now moonshine S-OFF

Last edited:

808phone

Jan 28, 2014
So now another report of it working?

I guess I should try it BUT I'd like to hear from you guys on how/what ROMS you got installed AFTER the fact.

42freelancer

Jul 16, 2013
Port Saint Loser
So now another report of it working?

I guess I should try it BUT I'd like to hear from you guys on how/what ROMS you got installed AFTER the fact.

Here I posted a tutorial for obtaining s-off that is a little more in depth: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2652601

I'm currently running Android 4.4.2 thanks to Dirty Unicorns AOKP ROM based off Omni-Rom. The link to that ROM is in my signature. Just click on the ROM name and it'll take you there. There are only three bugs on that one. No capacitive lights (not a big deal), No native torch app (down one from the play store), and wifi tends to act up. It connects to wifi and works great and tethering works too. But it has a tendency to disconnect while unused and take a little bit of try, try again to get it to connect again. Other than those, it's my daily driver. My wifi has been spot on for the past few days. But it's hit and miss.

Dr0idgroove

Oct 9, 2011
I pretty much have the same question. I have an unbranded European HTC One S model.

version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
platform: HBOOT-8960
modelid: PJ4010000
cidnum: HTC__E11

Managed to unlock the bootloader (via HTCDev), flash TWRP (2.0.33 cause members said newest wasn't stable/caused problems with CM11) and Root with SuperSU. I haven't flashed any custom ROM yet. Software info shows version 3.16.401.9

Unsure if I should proceed with any of the S-OFF methods (Facepalm, Moonshine, Rumrunner, firewater) right now prior to flashing any custom ROM. It seems most people who have tried these S-OFF methods have used them in combination with US models. Advise would be much appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, finally got S-off

First, had to go to RUU: RUU_Ville_U_JB_45_S_TMOUS_3.14.531.11_Radio_1.13.50.05.31_10.30.50.08L_release_309489_signed_ICS_2

http://d-innovations.org/RUU_Ville_....30.50.08L_release_309489_signed_ICS_2.exe.7z
    That's good news, thanks :) HBOOT 2.15, right?
    Would you mind giving the appropriate adb shell rootrights commands, for us dummies?

Adb shell
    Su

that's the command's

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk