Battery is Great on the Tunderbolt

Search This thread

ChrisN1313

Jul 20, 2010
Put it to a real test. Went to the grand prix today in st. pete.

Didnt even have a full charge around 90%. Had 4g on all day.. Brightness all the way up. Facebook , twitter, and 2 e-mail accounts running in the background. Took tons of video clips and tons of pictures, and streamed music through the bluetooth on the way home. As I type this its been 10 hours since it came off the charger and its at 50% battery with all the same items running.

At 1st I had very very bad battery life. But after using it for a few days and then doing a battery pull (read it would get better after all this) it has been working great, with the same or more use then I was doing the 1st few days of ownership. Just wanted to share a postive experience on battery life since I keep hearing and reading so many negative things.

Edit: Thunderbolt not tunderbolt LOL

Last edited:

quattr0

Nov 13, 2010
Thanks for the tip.

I'm noob w battery. Do you mean just charge it full, pull it out and put it back in and it lasts you that much? I'm skeptical....The most I could have so far is 12 hours and I have 3 bars (out of 10) left.

ddarvish

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for the tip.

I'm noob w battery. Do you mean just charge it full, pull it out and put it back in and it lasts you that much? I'm skeptical....The most I could have so far is 12 hours and I have 3 bars (out of 10) left.

The main reason people are having drain on 4g from what i heard was the software for the radio was re-written at the LAST minute (the reason for the delay) because they had to change their 700 MHz frequency just a bit higher.. something like 5 or 10 Mhz due to interference with with communication towers at airports. this sucker keeps dropping 4g like its no ones business. the new baseband which will be pushed out in the first update for the phone (hopefully in next month) should correct it.

mfreema

Sep 26, 2007
Thats funny because i was at the gp today and my battery died before i left at 1p. Took a couple of pictures and 1 video. Used gps for like 10 mins and that was it. Stayed in my pocket for the rest of the day.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

dredoubleu

Dec 14, 2010
hmm

I Disabled my 4G with dialing the *#*#(forgot the 4 numbers)*#*# and my battery has been lasting me alot longer

anourack

Aug 13, 2010
Columbus
I probably have the worst battery life ever... 70% before putting it away and not using it. 5 hours later, I check my battery and I'm at 10%!! I didn't even use it!

Powell730

Dec 6, 2010
my battery was about to die on me today within 3 hours of being off the charger, granted it was with heavy use.. flashing multiple roms using titanium backup etc... but i still think that is asinine..

ncwildcat

Feb 2, 2009
my battery was about to die on me today within 3 hours of being off the charger, granted it was with heavy use.. flashing multiple roms using titanium backup etc... but i still think that is asinine..

flashing roms will eat battery...once you are on a rom it takes a cycle or 2 to settle

quattr0

Nov 13, 2010
I probably have the worst battery life ever... 70% before putting it away and not using it. 5 hours later, I check my battery and I'm at 10%!! I didn't even use it!

U need to learn how to charge it. Search around.

wgsesq

Oct 9, 2010
NJ
The battery life on the TB is just as good as it was on my rooted dinc with a custom kernal. I have no complaints with stock unrooted TB so far and I use the **** out of it.

ZBoater

Apr 27, 2010
I turned off 4g and am going 16 hours on 50% battery. Really, to sit in my pocket, do calls, text, and check email I don't need 4g. I too noticed the 4g radio switching on and off constantly. Hopefully the baseband update will fix this.

Nikolai2.1

May 16, 2010
I turned off 4g and am going 16 hours on 50% battery. Really, to sit in my pocket, do calls, text, and check email I don't need 4g. I too noticed the 4g radio switching on and off constantly. Hopefully the baseband update will fix this.

It has more to do with where you live and how good your 4G coverage is

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

FP5241

Jan 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
i get 12hrs easy with moderate use. All I've done is turn off the GPS services when not needed and disable the lock screen... hope things improve for everyone having issues... :/

coder_t2

Mar 21, 2011
What do you mean, is there a special way to charge it now?

I think he may be referring to the "bump" charge. Where you charge the phone to full, unplug it, turn it off, charge it to full again, unplug, turn it on, and charge it to full again. Not sure if this is an HTC thing or just a general lithium ion battery thing. But it helps IMO.

I get about 12 hours of battery life with moderate use. I little web surfing, lots of texting, light app usage. My phone is constantly switching from 4G to 3G when I'm indoors. Outside though I'm fine. I'm surprised about the different experiences people are having with battery life.

Since I can't get through a whole day without it dying I bought a second home charger on amazon. I'd like to get the extended battery, but it looks like it'd make this phone too big at that point. I wish there was some better battery tech coming out soon, since there hasn't been too much progression on that front.

getsoutalive

Jan 12, 2007
Turn on the wifi radio. When you are home or anywhere you have access to wifi, the device will automatically turn the 4g radio off when wifi is up. That simple change has made a huge difference and I dont have to worry about turning the 4g radio on/off manually.

Enzo386

Mar 21, 2011
I've been seeing, under heavy use, at minimum 8 hours of use consistently since I've been through a few cycles, including bump charging the first few cycles. Also, a few things that greatly helped me:

Read somewhere that the stock blockbuster app, even if it has never been opened, has a service that updates the movie catalog in the background. Run the app, update it, and in settings turn off movie catalog updates. After doing this my battery didn't drain nearly as fast while in my pocket. I can't verify that this actually helps, but it did for me. I disabled the 4G radio since I live in a 3G area as well.

I also run Green Power as of this morning. My phone has been running over 12 hour with 3:30 of that being actual usage and I'm at 68% remaining. I have it set to 1 minute on and 10 off for data while it is locked in my pocket.

Beyond that, GPS is disabled unless I need it. So is WiFi. Brightness is at about 30%, with a widget to bump it to full when I'm outside in sunlight. I also noticed a big jump when I disabled HTC sense Facebook updates, and used stock Facebook instead. Every time I went to contacts it would download that contacts Facebook updates, which is pointless and uses data constantly under normal usage.

Of course your mileage may vary, but this all gets me through the day under normal usage, and over a half day under heavy usage.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I am currently at 8.5 hours with 79% left on my battery. Stock Battery. If I didn't have to work tomorrow, and be able to make phone calls and such I'd leave my phone unplugged all night to see how long it can go.

Enzo386

Mar 21, 2011
I am currently at 8.5 hours with 79% left on my battery. Stock Battery. If I didn't have to work tomorrow, and be able to make phone calls and such I'd leave my phone unplugged all night to see how long it can go.

I'm assuming thats with Virus Rom as it says in your sig? If so, that makes me want to try it. I'm stock unrooted right now, haven't had time to invest in rooting the ADB original method yet, don't want to rush through it. When I do, I fully intend to try that rom out.

Top Liked Posts