[Kindle Fire 2 Restore][Working!!!]-12/7/2012

Search This thread

BrooklynNY

Nov 16, 2012
Is this still a viable way to restore a KF2? I have soft bricked my daughters KF trying to go to KitKat. i got rushed and made a silly wipe, and long story short.... i have a KF with no OS, TWRP only, and no zips to flash. I cant get it to mount to put the zips back on. can anyone offer any insight into the best way to get TWRP to mount, or get back to stock and start over?
Happy Holidays:)
I'm sure u tried adb to push a ROM onto it. Did u?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Quick and Simple.

All- Here are all three files. I believe this is 10.2.1 but Honestly can't remember since it's been so long since I've used them.

They are pre-rooted and originally came from HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

So PLEASE thank the OP at the above link. I also provided a simple batch file that when used with the correct ADB and FASTBOOT executables will flash the images to your device.

If you brick your stuff by using this... it's not my fault and please leave me alone.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:
http://goo.im/devs/mindmajick/Kindle2/Restore.zip

Over 300 downloads and two Thanks... lmao. Good thing I don't do this for the Thanks but still lololol

:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

KOCTA

Sep 19, 2007
mindmajick, thank you, but your system.img is too big to fastboot. OP's image was reduced, that's why we miss his files :)

Reactions: mindmajick

mindmajick

mindmajick, thank you, but your system.img is too big to fastboot. OP's image was reduced, that's why we miss his files :)

Thank you for the feedback. That's really weird about the size though. They've worked fine for me and weren't mine originality. You could also try the tool I have linked in that post.

Edit: just double checked. It's definitely a sparse image and just restored my device with it a-ok

-》Sent from my mind to your screen.

Last edited:

mindmajick

Thank you for the feedback. That's really weird about the size though. They've worked fine for me and weren't mine originality. You could also try the tool I have linked in that post.

Edit: just double checked. It's definitely a sparse image and just restored my device with it a-ok

More proof that my files work just fine and KOCTA is mistaken:
3ugupa2a.jpg

Reactions: Jrhoop

mindmajick

Hello and thank you for all the hard work you do for us noobs. I have KF2 with 10.4.8.rooted. Does the recover.zip work with this version OS?

Yes. It recovers back to a prerooted older version of the os. If you want the most recent version.. It'll still take an OTA update.

Reactions: weinberk

rio-coa

Nov 16, 2006
KIndle fire2, otter2

Over 300 downloads and two Thanks... lmao. Good thing I don't do this for the Thanks but still lolo
Please,Please,Please can you send me the three Files for Resore my Kindle2. I am searching 3 Days but i find nothing.

Please, Please Please

frendly Regards, Rio-Coa
:crying::crying::crying:

mindmajick

Over 300 downloads and two Thanks... lmao. Good thing I don't do this for the Thanks but still lolo
Please,Please,Please can you send me the three Files for Resore my Kindle2. I am searching 3 Days but i find nothing.

Please, Please Please

frendly Regards, Rio-Coa
:crying::crying::crying:

Here is the link again

rio-coa

Nov 16, 2006
Thanks a lot, your answer me very fasr,
but, the Link is still dead. Firefox says me "The server at 108.166.171.34 is taking too long to post a response"

Please, can you help me again.
frendly regards, Rio-Coa

mindmajick

Thanks a lot, your answer me very fasr,
but, the Link is still dead. Firefox says me "The server at 108.166.171.34 is taking too long to post a response"

Please, can you help me again.
frendly regards, Rio-Coa

Link definitely works. I'll upload to another server when I can but you need to try another network.

usa2e7u8.jpg

Reactions: rio-coa

supersonic023

Jul 31, 2013
Link definitely works. I'll upload to another server when I can but you need to try another network.

usa2e7u8.jpg

so i bricked my kindle it keeps rebooting and im ordering a fastboot cable and i downloaded your files thats all you have to do is flash the files in the zip if its that easy im shocked because i dont want to hard brick it and have to throw it away -_- because it cost more to bring it back to life than to get a new one if its hard brick plz respond quickly i need this fix
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

mindmajick

so i bricked my kindle it keeps rebooting and im ordering a fastboot cable and i downloaded your files thats all you have to do is flash the files in the zip if its that easy im shocked because i dont want to hard brick it and have to throw it away -_- because it cost more to bring it back to life than to get a new one if its hard brick plz respond quickly i need this fix
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
It really is that easy. With the symptoms described it sounds like a recoverable soft brick.

KCJunkman

Dec 31, 2011
this worked recovery worked fine for me after i moved everything to the C drive, thanks

KCJunkman

gransar

Feb 20, 2014
still in boot-loop

How to restore your Kindle Fire 2

Notes

Using the backup.sh from kinfauns that I modded because the partition table for the KF2 is not the same as the HD.
I attached the new backup.sh for the KF2 on this post.

Links

Restoration tool

I developed a Recovery Tool based of the one onemeila created for the KFHD.
This will restore your boot/recover partitions (good for if you are gonna mess with the Bootloader Crack)
Restore your system.img to a Deodexed Rooted 10.2.1 Software. I have stripped ALOT of Kindle Apps from this backup.
Erase userdata & cache cleanup should be done when restoring.

Credits
Kinfauns for the original backup.sh
Onemeila for his original Recovery Tool for the KFHD

Special thanks
verygreen, hashcode, and fattire for answering my endless and noobish questions and saying there HAS to be a way.

And all those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KF2

Enjoy!

Additional Info

The post here contains the partition table for the KF2.

How I did it:
Due to the raw system.img being too big for fastboot to flash back to the KF2 I had to make the raw image
a sparse image file using help found in this post.
  1. Mount the raw system.img (created and extracted from the system.img.gz using the backup.sh)
    Code:
    mkdir sys
    sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img sys/
  2. Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.
    Code:
    sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
    sudo umount sys
    rm -fr sys

With that all said and done I was able to flash the sparse system.img to my KF2 and restore it!
It was bricked big time!!!!

I ran restorme.bat and got the following messages:
HTML:
target reprted max dwonload size of 1006632960 bytes
sending 'system' (777953)...
OKAY [268.001s]
writing 'system'..
after a while it says
HTML:
restore complete. prepare for reboot
press any key to continue
and it closes the console.
any ideas what to do?
right now kindle fire logo is showing nonstop.

SkOrPn

Jun 3, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
www.planetamd64.com
Here is the link again

Hello, a friend of mine tried this with his kf2 (this same file) and we got the following.

target reported max download size of 1006632960 bytes
sending 'system' (777953)...
OKAY [268.001s]
writing 'system'...
after a while it said "restore complete" prepare for reboot
press any key to continue.

We now get kindle fire logo showing indefinitely. any ideas what to do next?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to restore your Kindle Fire 2

Notes

Using the backup.sh from kinfauns that I modded because the partition table for the KF2 is not the same as the HD.
    I attached the new backup.sh for the KF2 on this post.

Links

Restoration tool

I developed a Recovery Tool based of the one onemeila created for the KFHD.
    This will restore your boot/recover partitions (good for if you are gonna mess with the Bootloader Crack)
    Restore your system.img to a Deodexed Rooted 10.2.1 Software. I have stripped ALOT of Kindle Apps from this backup.
    Erase userdata & cache cleanup should be done when restoring.

Credits
    Kinfauns for the original backup.sh
    Onemeila for his original Recovery Tool for the KFHD

Special thanks
    verygreen, hashcode, and fattire for answering my endless and noobish questions and saying there HAS to be a way.

And all those who have offered to help me get a 10.2.1 system.img for the KF2

Enjoy!

Additional Info

The post here contains the partition table for the KF2.

How I did it:
    Due to the raw system.img being too big for fastboot to flash back to the KF2 I had to make the raw image
    a sparse image file using help found in this post.
    1. Mount the raw system.img (created and extracted from the system.img.gz using the backup.sh)
      Code:
      mkdir sys
      sudo mount -t ext4 -o loop system.img sys/
    2. Create a new flashable(sparse) system image.
      Code:
      sudo ./make_ext4fs -s -l 929038336 -a system new_system.img sys/
      sudo umount sys
      rm -fr sys

With that all said and done I was able to flash the sparse system.img to my KF2 and restore it!
    It was bricked big time!!!!
    Quick and Simple.

All- Here are all three files. I believe this is 10.2.1 but Honestly can't remember since it's been so long since I've used them.

They are pre-rooted and originally came from HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

So PLEASE thank the OP at the above link. I also provided a simple batch file that when used with the correct ADB and FASTBOOT executables will flash the images to your device.

If you brick your stuff by using this... it's not my fault and please leave me alone.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:

Over 300 downloads and two Thanks... lmao. Good thing I don't do this for the Thanks but still lololol

:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    Quick and Simple.

Thanks.

And HERE are the files:
    I got 10.2.3 working and rooted.
    I am going to pull a new system image for restore later tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    If system.img is too big

I had trouble using fastboot to flash the system partition. System.img was too large and I was having trouble getting the environment up to build the sparse image.

My boot and recovery partitions were, however, set up to successfully boot TWRP recovery. I booted into TWRP, then I used adb to transfer the system.img to the internal storage.

adb push system.img /sdcard/

The I went into adb shell and used dd to write the image.

adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system

Once this completed, I rebooted and the stock environment was in place.