Using smartphones as a PC...

Search This thread

GadgetAvi

Jan 16, 2012
Tel Aviv
Hi guys,
I've got some Ideas and questions I'd like to share with you, who knows, maybe this will help others too :)

just like many others, I've waited and waited to Ubuntu for Android and wanted it so bad, but as it seems, thy won't release it for any Android device out there...
and Yes I've got Ubuntu running on my device (S4 I9500) but even when the device is docked, still it's not working well, Heavy and drains battery even when docked...
so what are the alternatives realy? is there any method or any normal Launcher for Android smartphones to allow us get some kind of workspace while the device is docked and connected to Monitor + mouse and keyboard?

hopefully, until there will be some other linux Distro that will run along side with android, is there any Desktop-Workspace like Launcher?
I've tried both "XP Mode Launcher" and "Ubuntu Mode Launcher" from Play store, they are cool, but It's still not the ultimate web & Multimedia experience...
right now I'm using RD client for Android to control my other PC (at my Home office) but it's kinda lame, after all, our Smartphones are powerfull enough
to allow us to use them just like a PC while they are docked, even browsers support Desktop Mode / User agent, so using them as RDP clients i'ts kinda waste...

Is there a way to force android to change pixel density when you dock it?
I'm Using Nova Launcher as my Default louncher, and on 1080P monitor the UI is Huge and in terms of Usability it's not easy to use... even with mouse and keyboard.
so I thout to try to force Nova to reduce pixel density somehow with Tasker while docking the device...

But before that, maybe you guys have some other Ideas?
Anyway, I'm UX Designer and I have some ideas to make my own launcher, but my Coding skills are not so good, so I gave up, LOL ...

Cheers :)