[RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock

Search This thread

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Hi samuelhalff,

Just wanted to say thanks for guiding me along. And Ive learned alot about linux partitions along the way. All is well and back up and running again. Appreciate all your help.

-Racks

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
I have a final issue to resolve. After recreating my partitions and dd'ing my wife's partitions onto my nook. Not thinking thoroughly. I tried to restore to stock. What that did was registered my nook as my wife's nook. So it triggered something with b&n and it resetted hers and my nook.

It starts the process of setting up for the first time. But it keeps getting an error after i put in the login info. "unable to set up your device" and shuts down. Good thing I have the partitions dd'ed

In the factory partition. There are two zips. One is factory.zip. the other rombackup.zip. Rombackip.zip is where it stores the original device information.

Macaddress, serialnm, deviceid and so forth.

So what happened is both our devices are registering as one and I believe this is the cause. I ended up modifying my rom partition to change the values of the macaddress, deviceid, serialnumber. The only thing that doesn't keep after a reboot is the macaddress. Because of the duplicate macaddress we are unable to use wifi at the same time. I believe the mac address is soft burned and isn't hard burned to the chip or else we wouldn't have dupe Mac addresses.

Any idea how I would perform a permanent change to the Mac address?

Or a work around for this issue? I've tried just about every possible solution from the dev threads. Ended up flashing CM7 to my emmc. But my wife likes using her mags and read to me books for the kids. I've restored hers by dd'ing the .img files to her nook. Everything works as before. She just can't sync her b&n library or access the b&n store. Or else it gives the "deregistering device" error and tries to but as I said before it fails after I try and login for the first time.

Thanks for any kind of insight on this.

-Racks

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
You'll probably need to register you wife's NC again and then dd back /data.
Regarding yours, try mounting /rom (2nd) to your pc (loop mount) to see if it isn't stored somewhere in there..

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

will2live

Feb 25, 2009
@Racks I ran into a similar situation almost where I could not get my Nook to register anymore either. To correct this is what I ended up doing and maybe it will help you out on your wifes Nook seeing as it sounds like she wants it running the actual Nook software. Once you get hers gong I'm sure you can do what you wish with yours and not have an issue

So here goes. First thing I did was go to the B&N site and changed the password for my login. That way I knew when I redid the Nook I'd have updated info on there end already to make sure nothing was happening or corrupted on the device as it would force me to reset the device. After doing that I tried a bunch of different restores and had no luck. Low and behold I ran across this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=945838) and followed the instructions. FYI I had a extra sdcard so I set that up specifically to try to restore my Nook so nothing else would get messed up from my prior backups and stuff. After downloading the file in that link and burning the image to the sdcard I booted the device off the sdcard. First thing I did was formatted /system, /data, /cache, and then wiped davlik. After which time I did the install like the link says. Once it was done powered down and removed the sdcard. Fired it up and followed the Nook Quick setup and all was good to go again.

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
@Racks I ran into a similar situation almost where I could not get my Nook to register anymore either. To correct this is what I ended up doing and maybe it will help you out on your wifes Nook seeing as it sounds like she wants it running the actual Nook software. Once you get hers gong I'm sure you can do what you wish with yours and not have an issue

So here goes. First thing I did was go to the B&N site and changed the password for my login. That way I knew when I redid the Nook I'd have updated info on there end already to make sure nothing was happening or corrupted on the device as it would force me to reset the device. After doing that I tried a bunch of different restores and had no luck. Low and behold I ran across this thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=945838) and followed the instructions. FYI I had a extra sdcard so I set that up specifically to try to restore my Nook so nothing else would get messed up from my prior backups and stuff. After downloading the file in that link and burning the image to the sdcard I booted the device off the sdcard. First thing I did was formatted /system, /data, /cache, and then wiped davlik. After which time I did the install like the link says. Once it was done powered down and removed the sdcard. Fired it up and followed the Nook Quick setup and all was good to go again.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! :D
I've actually tried restoring through that method with same results. But I did not try changing my wifes password on her B&N account. Maybe that will help. Will try it out tonight when I get home.

Thanks again,
Racks

Humanio

Oct 8, 2010
Thanks for all the hard work. Your guides were easy to follow but unfortunately for me, thus far I've been unsuccessful. I've tried removing CWR, unrooting, repartitioning, full restore, etc.. and nothing gets me past the giant N logo.

I'm at a total loss. Any ideas? Everything was fine and was running CM7 off the SD card. I tried to make a flashable SD for CM7 nightlights which resulted in what I assume is some sort of boot corruption. I havent been able to boot into stock since, although Froyo still works. All help is greatly appreciate. Thanks again for all your patience and info.

-Human

C0BRA01

Apr 5, 2009
Mill Creek, Washington
NC 1.1

I bought a new one a few days ago, and I have seen a lot of people talking about 1.0, and 1.01, but Mine was 1.1. Does the procedure for 1.01 also work for 1.1?

Sorry, if this has been asked before. I want to be prepared for when the new 2.2 factory upgrade comes out. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: C0BRA01

C0BRA01

Apr 5, 2009
Mill Creek, Washington

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
Could someone do me a favor... need someone to pull rombackup.zip and list files/folders that are in it....

I am in the process of fixing my mmcblk0p3... finally got the 8 failed boots working right again... but not sure what all from mmcblk0p2 are supposed to be in that rombackup.zip... initially I had copied the devconf directory from 0p2 to 0p3... then I saw the mention of rombackup.zip in this thread.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ramzing

Jun 15, 2007
Thanks!

Tried out option 4 (remove CWR only). Worked great. Was able to get back to the stock nook (8 reboots etc).

Thanks again!

yazyazoo

Oct 24, 2009
I have a autonootered 3.0.0 Nook. However I have been mainly boothing CM7 from a SD card lately using verygreen's method.

I saw the thread about flashing roms to sd card and wanted to try HC on a sd card.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=998861

I got to the part about mount sd card partition 4 of my cm7 sd card. I tried to figure out how to get the file onto that partition us Nook UMS app in that thread. However what happened is something locked up.

Now when I boot from the Sd card I get the Android word on the side of the screen and never passes that. I removed the SD card and thought auto nooter will work. However it won't boot past the Silver N.

I then made a new CM7 SD card from another one and tried to run it. I get an error with the Linux penguin when it tries to install to the card.

I tried the reset 8 times and N and power and would alwasys get re install failed.

I don't think I can use the recovery because it seems as if it won't boot from teh SD card.

ANy suggestions?

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
You may have done something to your partitions..

Boot to cwr from sdcard and use the following adb command:

fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk0 -l

And print the result here.
Search the threads on how to use adb if you're not sure.

Last edited:

yazyazoo

Oct 24, 2009
You may have done something to your partitions..

Boot to cwr from sdcard and use the following adb command:

fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk0 -l

And print the result here.
Search the threads on to use adb if you're not sure.

I can't boot from SD card. I tried my Nookie froyo and a CM7 card. When I do, I get the Android letters on the side of the screen and it just stays there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FLASHABLE ZIP, (1)RESTORING NC TO STOCK/FACTORY OR (2)CWR REMOVAL ONLY

What you will find here: files to restore to stock (v. 1.0.0 or 1.0.1) and files to remove CWR and thus restore stock recovery (8 failed boots and factory reset [power+n]).

______________CAVEAT________________

Keep in mind that the Nook is really hard to brick. By that, I mean almost impossible. The reason is simple: it has a boot priority on uSD, which means you can always boot your NC from the uSD with, for example, Nookie Froyo (see thread in Dev section). From there you can install Clockwork recovery and other applications (ibid) and repair almost anything. So please, don't panic.

If you ask for help, explain yourself exhaustively on what you have done to require attention. Thank you.

All the usual warnings apply. I cannot guarantee that the following won't have side effects, although I'm pretty sure it won't. Please read complete thread before attempting anything.

Do not attempt flashing files unless you really need to or absolutely know what you are doing.

______________UPDATE-01/23/2011_______________

There is another method to restore to stock. If you know your way around ADB, please read this thread: click here, as it will guarantee a clean restoring of your partition. The below files only copy files, but cannot "recreate" your partitions. Both methods can work, but the one linked above (shad0wf0x's thread) will work without exception. Only requirement is that you can use ADB. Thank you.

I know a few people out there are struggling after having messed up their Nook's partitions (boot, system, etc.). Hope this will help.

Requirements:
    - Rom manager / Clockwork Recovery. This can be easily installed through Nookie Froyo booted from uSD, or through rooted NC. See Clockwork Recovery thread for more information.​
    - A uSD with enough free space (at least 175 MB). Make sure uSD is mounted (see mounts option in Clockwork Recovery). If it doesn't read your uSD, format from an Android device (Memory settings, unmount-> format).​

Files to restore NC to stock (1):

If AND ONLY if you choose to restore completely your NC, /data and /system partitions must be formatted before flashing. See mounts and storage option in CWR.​

LINKS ARE DOWN: please refer to the following post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22809801&postcount=148

BEWARE: These files will reset you Nook Color to stock and remove Clockwork Recovery, by replacing /boot, /system, and /media with stock

If you choose to flash one of the two files above, formating /data and /system is required BEFORE flashing the file (see mounts and storage in CWR) ! After flashing, resets (8 failed and power+n) shouldn't be necessary, everything should work straight "out of the box" after flashing the file.

Or,

File to remove CWR and restore stock recovery (2):

If you simply wish to remove CW Recovery, use this file, which restores /boot only:

EDIT: files are not available anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Size: 6.1MB, md5sum: 6d00a461a221e69195440355f6706104

Note that this last file will affect your rooting of the NC.

If you should choose to keep your NC rooted, try this:

Keep in mind this last file has not been tested on my NC. It's necessarily less dangerous than the other files (which already aren't very dangerous). But still, please give me some feedback on whether it works or not. Cheers.

5. As a last attempt to fixing your NC, if your nook never gets passed the "Touch the future screen" or simply doesn't boot, try this file:

Comments are welcome.

Sam
    dude this is just what i needed after my little nook color break down. Thanks!!! a ton!!! also its 11:56 eastern and the downloads are available yet...

File is now available.
    You need ADB. When booted to Nookie from SD, use these commands.

First mount media:

adb shell mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /media

if that dosen't work, try this:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 /media

After that, push boot.img and system.img found on shad0wf0x's post (here) , with this:

adb push [path/to/boot.img] /media

Do the same with system.img.

adb push [path/to/system.img] /media

Then, dd images from media to partitions, with:

Note: each dd will take some time, be patient.

- adb shell
    - dd if=/media/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    - dd if=/media/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    - reboot

Try this out, if the commands return errors, post them here.
    Thank you for the generous donation I just recieved. I don't ask for any, but, as a sign of gratitude for the hours I spend working on the device, they're always a bonus.

Sam

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
    Thank you -somebody-! You all are awesome :)