WP can't send video through Text?

Search This thread

romeo0119

Aug 1, 2006
Is this a windows thing or what? I can't seem to send video through sms, is there a way around this??? Also I received a 3gp file, which I know even a flip phone can play it, but WP can't? I can hear the sound but not the video? This is crazy, we're at ver 7 of windows mobile and none of this is possible? WM 6.5 was able to do this

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
Windows Mobile and Windows Phone are two totally different products. Windows Phone was completely rebuilt and has very little in common with Windows Mobile. You will not find the exact same functionality between the two products.

One current omission is the ability to send your own videos through SMS/MMS. This feature will become available in the next update scheduled for release sometime this month. You can forward SMS/MMS that have video content in them that have been sent to you, you just can't send your own videos.

Also I have had no issues with 3GP video files, as they play just fine on all my Windows Phone devices.

romeo0119

Aug 1, 2006
Well I just think it's ridiculous that in this day and age, a company like Microsoft would write and os that doesn't have the most basic feature that has been around for a decade, its not their first mobile Os. Yes one would argue that the first apple iPhone didn't even have mms, but it was their first mobile os, Microsoft has been in the game way too long to have miss something like this. I do like WP but I really think it shouldn't take an update to have something like sending a video through text to be implemented, I don't even think we have the option to send it through email either...correct me if I'm wrong.

hiko36

Jul 2, 2009
Dallas
Well I just think it's ridiculous that in this day and age, a company like Microsoft would write and os that doesn't have the most basic feature that has been around for a decade, its not their first mobile Os. Yes one would argue that the first apple iPhone didn't even have mms, but it was their first mobile os, Microsoft has been in the game way too long to have miss something like this. I do like WP but I really think it shouldn't take an update to have something like sending a video through text to be implemented, I don't even think we have the option to send it through email either...correct me if I'm wrong.

Not trying to flame but didn't the first iPhone iteration famously lack the ability to send MMS of any type?

romeo0119

Aug 1, 2006
Exactly my point, I knew someone would bring this up, at least if apple can use the excuse of not having a mobile os and it was their first one, ms has been in the game for way too long to overlooked something like this.

hiko36

Jul 2, 2009
Dallas
Exactly my point, I knew someone would bring this up, at least if apple can use the excuse of not having a mobile os and it was their first one, ms has been in the game for way too long to overlooked something like this.

Windows Mobile and Windows Phone are two completely different beasts. Windows Phone was effectively MS saying 'yeah ummm... we got it wrong' and starting over from scratch. Regardless of MS' history, this OS is still in its infancy.

EDIT: Also, Windows Mobile was an OS that existed before iOS revolutionized what the term 'smartphone' actually meant. So, again, their mobile OS history is effectively moot.

AllTheWay

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 3, 2007
Folsom, California
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3

So you like sending at max a 600kb file through MMS? Why not just e-mail the video or upload to youtube this way it has the best video quality possible?

JonnieLasVegas

Jun 16, 2010
Las Vegas
I agree & I've been pretty vocal about the lack of video mms. But luckily we'll have it in Tango. Which should come within a month, if rumors hold true. But it's still easily the best OS available.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

jbhorner

Jun 13, 2006
So you like sending at max a 600kb file through MMS? Why not just e-mail the video or upload to youtube this way it has the best video quality possible?
I think that is exactly the same logic Steve Jobs used to downplay the lack of MMS in the original iPhone. Needless to say, the market disagreed...and Apple relented.

Joel

romeo0119

Aug 1, 2006
I'm sure it's not 600k anymore w most of the smartphone, regardless it should have been a standard feature to have. You can argue that wp is the first or whatever but I'm saying still, it should have been there, shouldn't be that hard to code it into the os.

wspaw

Apr 17, 2008
Austin
Link it

I think you're right. On the rare occasions where I find myself needing to do this, I upload it to skydrive and send a link.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
600kb is set by the carrier and not the phone. MMS was available on the iPhone 3G. Apple had to work with AT&T to get mms allowed on their network.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

iPhone is also excluded on size limits on MMS. You can send much larger sized MMS than any other phones.

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
I'm sure it's not 600k anymore w most of the smartphone, regardless it should have been a standard feature to have. You can argue that wp is the first or whatever but I'm saying still, it should have been there, shouldn't be that hard to code it into the os.

Based on the Tago ROM's released you are able to send about 3 sec max of VGA not HD video taken by a phones camera via text. But as far as I understand those ROM's were from the Tango SDK dump. Maybe the final release will allow longer video's. I also know Tango is to provide multiple attachments to a text.

BooR4dley

Mar 8, 2011
Well I just think it's ridiculous that in this day and age, a company like Microsoft would write and os that doesn't have the most basic feature that has been around for a decade

I think it's ridiculous that in this day and age people don't research a product before they buy it. So many random things people are beefing about that a little digging could have prepared them for, especially when locking oneself into a 2 year contract.

loomx

Apr 7, 2005
I really don't care that MMS video isn't there...

I don't complain the infrared isn't in phones any more, its because its obsolete. IMO MMS is obsolete. its a restrictive and expensive way of sending stuff, that you can send much more in an email.

MMS was really only made as an alternative when phones couldn't send emails.