Motorola Xoom Overclocked: 1.5GHz Dual Core Honeycomb! [v2 2/28]

Search This thread

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
Im having a problem... my setcpu settings don't stick. I've tried to set on boot to 1000mhz but eventually if i open it again ill see it climb to 1504mhz then quickly back down to 216mhz. So its scaling fine it just always resorts to overclock. I've tried deleting cache, uninstall setcpu... any ideas?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

qubz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 12, 2007
A parallel dimension
Im having a problem... my setcpu settings don't stick. I've tried to set on boot to 1000mhz but eventually if i open it again ill see it climb to 1504mhz then quickly back down to 216mhz. So its scaling fine it just always resorts to overclock. I've tried deleting cache, uninstall setcpu... any ideas?

Same here. Set it to 1000 on boot, reboot and put to sleep. Wake up and it's creeping back up to 1504 on even though it's set to 1000. It seems intermittent on my device tho

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Same here. Set it to 1000 on boot, reboot and put to sleep. Wake up and it's creeping back up to 1504 on even though it's set to 1000. It seems intermittent on my device tho

I just discovered this last night as well.. but I'm running Tiamat 1.1.6
I told bigrush about it. It was the first time I set it lower than 1.5. I noticed it was still jumping to 1.5 even though it was set at 1. Then I rebooted, same thing. Then I re detected the cpu and rebooted and it still happened

ggonzalez7777

Jul 28, 2010
I'm getting the opposite. Everytime I hook up the power adapter, my cpu freq goes down to 216MHz. Its a pain unlocking cuz it unlocks like molasses...

Sent using tiny little gnomes.....

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
I really hope this gets fixed... maintaining 1000mhz is getting harder to do and its a real battery hog at 1504mhz
Edit I think I may have a solution to those who can't seem to keep it from over clocking, excluded it from my cache cleaner and so far it sticks. Will report after some more testing

Last edited:

SS2006

Aug 23, 2008
London, Ontario
I was going to do this, but it seems its not stable at all is it.
and is it possible on wifi model yet..easily atleast

final Q: is setCPU a must, or will it scale on its own

bigrushdog

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2007
Good questions, i think some basic level changes can be made but i think until they have source under volting and other custom things can't be added and compiled, could be wrong though

Kernel source and Android OS I.e. hc are two completely different things. Kernel source is freely available and has been since release day. I've been busy with other android stuff the last week or so. I had some issues with the 1.2.1 test kernel as some of u found out. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . I am going to double my efforts to release a solid kernel in the next few days. Once again, I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you to coolbho for setcpu and posting tegra source on github.

woost12

Sep 4, 2009
Fort Worth
Been away for a bit trying to free my Apple products from their restrictive cages and now fully involved in my android devices.....

So I just rooted my XOOM and EVO 4G today. I was looking at overclocking both, but after reading this thread I am very hesitant. Any advice as to waiting, or not? Which Kernal to use? Which overclocking app to use? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

kingohearts2005

Nov 6, 2007
Greensboro
I have a problem

I followed the steps exactly. im overclocked but i push the bcm4329.ko file to the directory posted and my wifi is still saying error. what do i do???

edit: scratch that I figured it out

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do not flash this on the WiFi only Xoom yet. An update will be coming. In the meantime, you can just recompile the source from my github and it should work on the WiFi only Xoom.

I have successfully brought the Tegra 2 in the Xoom to 1.5GHz. A few kernel modifications make the dual core chip in the Xoom even more powerful than the recently announced Tegra 2 3D! 1.5GHz through two Cortex A9 cores is truly a force to be reckoned with. :D

2/28: Applied L2 prefetching patch. This increases Linpack to about 63 MFLOPS @ 1.5GHz. Flash the kernel and push the wifi module again: http://www.setcpu.com/files/xoom_ocboot_v2.zip (thanks ccfries for the heads up!!!)

Instructions:
    1. Make sure you've unlocked your Xoom's bootloader for flashing first, then root it.
    2. Grab this zip and extract it. It includes a boot.img with the overclocked kernel and a corresponding wifi module: http://www.setcpu.com/files/xoom_ocboot_v2.zip. Thanks to Koush for the rooted ramdisk in this boot.img!
    3. Reboot into the bootloader by running:
    adb reboot bootloader
    4. Flash the boot image to your boot partition, then boot back into Android by running:
    fastboot flash boot xoom_ocboot.img
    fastboot reboot
    5. Push the bcm4329.ko to your /system/lib/modules folder and reboot to re-enable wifi:
    adb remount
    adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
    adb reboot

The usual disclaimers apply here. Only do this if you know what you're doing. Though the long term stability/reliability of similar overclocks on other Android based ARM devices is known, this software is provided with no warranty, and I can't be held responsible if you fry your Xoom or anything.

The kernel defaults to 1GHz max for safety, and also includes 1.2GHz and 1.4GHz steps in addition to the 1.504GHz step. I've also updated SetCPU to support the Xoom, so grab that (I know the interface currently looks bad on the Xoom; a tablet optimized interface is coming soon!). SetCPU versions prior to 2.1.1 will not work for setting speeds on the Xoom.

Source code: Based on Google's android-tegra-2.6.36-honeycomb with some overclock specific modifications by me.

Video:

Screenshots:
    7IaG1.png

I get ~47 MFLOPS in Linpack for Android, 35 MFLOPS stock. Linpack seems to hit a wall somewhere and isn't really accurate for the Xoom:
    rC9IX.png

I get ~355ms in SetCPU's native bench (C only, the Tegra 2 sadly doesn't support NEON), ~534ms stock. This scaled almost precisely with clock speed, but the native bench isn't multithreaded:
    3ES62.png

3105 in Quadrant at 1.5GHz, compared to 2226 stock (though Quadrant tests more than just the CPU):
    9P6MU.png

Keep in mind that the benchmarks I tested often aren't multithreaded enough to show a large difference between the Xoom's Tegra 2 and a similarly clocked single core Cortex A8. Some operations benefit more from the Cortex A9's improved architecture and/or the two cores more than others.

Enjoy your even faster Xoom!
    I get to step 5:

5. Push the bcm4329.ko to your /system/lib/modules folder and reboot to re-enable wifi:
    adb remount
    adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
    adb reboot

and get error: device not found. isn't bcm4329.ko suppose to be in tools folder?
    ADB doesn't seem to be able to find your Xoom. Sometimes you can just unplug it and plug it back in and run adb kill-server to get it to detect again, and/or re-enable USB debugging.

As for stability, I did not have crashes at 1.5GHz on my Xoom.
    Could someone run webkits sunspider javascript benchmark @ 1.5GHz. Wonder if it can beat my Atom powered netbook? (~1400) :)

Running stock 1000ghz
    on demand scaling

http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...date-input":[73,74,73,164,73,84,74,73,81,74]}

Running OC@1.5
    Performance
    http://www.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...idate-input":[81,78,78,78,79,78,78,77,78,77]}

Glad to assist....
    As far as your Galaxy S benchmarks, how does it fare in Linpack? My Xoom is right at 66MFLOPS. Linpack tests pure computational power, your Fascinate won't compare.

Not exactly. Linpack tests only floating point operations for the java compiler and these resalts vary greatly depending on software like JIT. If you want to compare two devices for raw processing power at the core without having any software factor in run Nbench on both and compare those numbers. It takes 10 minutes to run but it will give a much more fair comparison as to the raw procoessing power of the two devices. Of course the tagra 2 will blow the hummingbird to little sad peices even on one core, untill we get a decent multi-core capable benchmark then.... Even more sad littler pieces.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using XDA App