[PSA] Google Play Edition and Sense Version have different system partition sizes

Search This thread

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
You mean to do a fresh system dump? I went through that too. Finally just used the latest HTC driver and the latest mini adb out there and its worked since then. Drove me nuts though

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah, I figured it out :) Running the sense RUU now to see if it fails (which it should) then I'll try with the -w switch

as expected it failed. Now re running with -w switch

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Fails with the -w switch as well

(bootloader) start image[system] unzipping & flushing...
(bootloader) ...... Failed
(bootloader) current_image_number=4

FAILED (remote: 54 image size is too large)
finished. total time: 61.466s

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Fails with the -w switch as well

(bootloader) start image[system] unzipping & flushing...
(bootloader) ...... Failed
(bootloader) current_image_number=4

FAILED (remote: 54 image size is too large)
finished. total time: 61.466s

Did by any chance include an att hboot from the stock rom?

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Did by any chance include an att hboot from the stock rom?

no, I included the international Hboot from the 1.54.401.5 FW package. I included everything from the FW zip as well as system.

I'm going to try two other things
1. Try the split image thing again
2. I will flash the 1.54 FW, then format system in fastboot, then try flashing the RUU. Maybe that will work..

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
no, I included the international Hboot from the 1.54.401.5 FW package. I included everything from the FW zip as well as system.

2. I will flash the 1.54 FW, then format system in fastboot, then try flashing the RUU. Maybe that will work..

When it flashed did it reboot after doing hboot and make you restart? I know the mount points for the partitions are tied to the hboot. It's possible it needed rebooted before trying to flash the rest?

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com

Ok, good news and bad news.. bad news is #2 above still didn't wotk... Good news is that the split image passed the 2nd system and is flashing the 3rd now

edit: 3rd one passed, on to the 4th :)

edit 2: next one passed

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
hey, good luck we all know you will get it figured out

honestly, I'm not going to spend too much more time on it. I'm uploading the bone stock system img for 1.54.401.5 now.. Maybe someone else can take a stab at it. It's not really a big issue for me since I have one m8 running GPE and one running Sense :p And I can go back to sense pretty easily now that I've done it a few times :)

Reactions: housry23

rbouza1

May 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6
honestly, I'm not going to spend too much more time on it. I'm uploading the bone stock system img for 1.54.401.5 now.. Maybe someone else can take a stab at it. It's not really a big issue for me since I have one m8 running GPE and one running Sense :p And I can go back to sense pretty easily now that I've done it a few times :)

what what hold htc from releasing ruu ?

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Thanks for the links. I will download when I get home

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

Cool, I'm also uploading the two test RUUs I made. The one with the split system image (this is actually 6 files) and one with a single system image. The one with the split system images flashes fine, but then just gets stuck at the splash screen. The other one will fail when it goes to do system and then at the end say the image is too big. (even when using the -w switch)

Reactions: scotty1223

Dreadsteel

Mar 9, 2011
I'm new to this device and wondering why do you want to convert to GPE ? Can't you just install a GPE rom on a regular device?

What's the point of converting to GPE?

Thanks in advance.

housry23

Sep 23, 2009
Springfield, OH
I hope scotty1223 can get us an RUU! I think someone made one for the Sprint version. Maybe the Verizon version too. The person that did it could be helpful if needed. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks for trying graffixnyc and good luck to you scotty1223!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I hope scotty1223 can get us an RUU! I think someone made one for the Sprint version. Maybe the Verizon version too. The person that did it could be helpful if needed. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks for trying graffixnyc and good luck to you scotty1223!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw the sprint one.. And as I have said.. With a decrypted ruu you have to split the system image.. If it was an official one it would be fine as one file..

Taken from the sprint rush thread:

DEVs, here is the Decrypted version!

This RUU has the system.img split into 5 imgs. You must combine prior to extracting. Copy all 5 to a folder,*

then...

Use this cmd for Windows:

copy /b system_1.img + system_2.img + system_3.img +system_4.img + system_5.img newsystem.img

Use this cmd for Linux:

cat system_1.img system_2.img system_3.img > system_4.img > system_5.img > newsystem.img

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone has a REAL GPE or a converted GPE you will notice you can't flash any ROMS without getting errors. I investigated into this and this is what I found. The system partition is only a little over 1 gig where the sense system partition is 2.8 gb. So if you try to flash a sense rom on a GPE or a converted HTC m8. It will fail (because the partition is too big for the gpe partition). The only way to correct this is to flash a sense RUU when it's available.

I'm working on a new GPE conversion RUU that will use a bigger system partition. If this works (which I'm not sure it will) then it will be easy for people who to convert to go back..

Just figured I'd let everyone know.. This was NOT tha case with the m7!
    Take your time. Enjoy your vacation man. This can wait for sure!

Ok.. Here is what to try.
    1. Flash the sense bootloader
    2. Boot into android and then copy the system and boot IMG over to your internal card
    3. Boot into cwm
    4. Do a back up
    5. Go into the mounts menu and mount data.
    6. Do a wipe/factory reset
    7. Run the following commands
    adb shell

dd if=/data/media/0/system.img of =/dev/block/mmcblk0p45
    Then run
    dd if=/data/media/0/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p42

Then try booting and see if it boots into android.. If it doesn't then just restore the back up you made in step 4 or run the GPE RUU again to get back.

Boot Img: http://d-h.st/zN4
    System img: http://d-h.st/bJ5

Here is the 1.54.401.5 fw zip with spalsh (I might of included inverted splash by accident), and the system image. If someone wants to try to get an RUU going be my guest :)

FW: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407589439

Sysimage: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407589851
    Here is a link to the folder that has the split image RUU:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=14324

Run each one, one by one after each other in RUU mode.

The one with the full system image in the ruu is being uploaded now and it will be in the same folder above when it's done uploading
    Yes, sir I am :)

Yeah, I'm aware of the different info files :) I used a template zip that JMZ sent me.. hmm dding the whole system image might work.. I didn't think of that before..It could fail, but it might work.

@housry23 I'm uploading a system.img now from my AT&T version as well as my boot.img from it. Once it's done uploading I'll post the link and directions what I want you to try to get back into sense. If you don't mind giving it a try that is.

I don't mind at all. Just let me know.