[Q] Snapdragon S4 unlock GLONASS ?

Search This thread

thesoulxx

Apr 11, 2012
Hi, i am new here thefore i cant post in "One S Android Development"

I KNOW that (HTC one s)Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 has support for GLONASS. can it be unlock ? :D

anyone known what soundchip it got onboard also ?

Appreciate the help.:p

sarge78

Nov 15, 2010
Download GPS test from the market.

Fire it up and see if you log any satellites numbered 65 to 88.

GPS_Test_application.jpg

thesoulxx

Apr 11, 2012
My Htc one s, havnt arrive yet, i still waiting, i think it would come next week, then i can do the gps testing. It would be nice to hav a good gps.

I am using Samsung galaxy s1 and its worthless in sweden..:mad:

Btw i hope Snapdragon s4 get Wolfson audio chips :eek:

kuroneko007

Jan 20, 2011
Tokyo
www.japandroid.info
Out of 15 satellites that I could see, 6 were #65 or over. Looks like GLONASS is working fine.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm in Japan, but my phone came from the UK so is the European model (No One S for the poor Japanese, lol)

Reactions: thesoulxx

psych0t1c

Jul 30, 2005
earth.europe.de
So it works completely transparently to the user and does not need special software or adjustments, it will just work by "supplementing" the accuracy reported through the GPS interface and therefore also every navigation software etc. will automatically benefit from it?

That is kinda cool if its the case.

Reactions: Komadyret

thesoulxx

Apr 11, 2012
This is going to be GREAT :) for once i can use "GPS" correctly in sweden, anyone knowns more about the Sound chips onboard the S4 ?:confused:

kuroneko007

Jan 20, 2011
Tokyo
www.japandroid.info
So it works completely transparently to the user and does not need special software or adjustments, it will just work by "supplementing" the accuracy reported through the GPS interface and therefore also every navigation software etc. will automatically benefit from it?

Yup, looks like it. There is no separate setting to "Enable GPS" / "Enable GLONASS". Although rather than being transparent to the user, it is more like hidden from the user. I guess the average user neither knows nor cares about GLONASS, as long as the thing shows them where they are on the map.

ILoveAndroid77

Aug 16, 2010
I do not get satellites > 28, but total 22 visible and 14 in use.
Don't know if GPS or GLONASS - but 22 are a lot ;)

Thiesen

Aug 8, 2009
My HOS consistently sees ~17-21 even when indoors although while indoors I get no GPS lock even though GPS Test says that it uses ~5 satelites. But once I take it to a window it gets a good lock immediatly.

My old Desire and my TF101 only sees ~4-5 when doing the same test. So it seems that the HOS really are using GLONASS too.

psych0t1c

Jul 30, 2005
earth.europe.de
Yes they do. With GPS only I never had a situation where I could "see" more than 6-8 sats at once with a mobile and not all of them had a fix/lock because the signal was too weak (only once supposedly had 9, reported by an Audi in-car satnav with dedicated external antenna, but I am not sure if that was fixed sats or just the visible ones). I think as of now I think there are less than 30 functional sats in orbit globally and the GPS architecture hovers around an amount of 32-36 sats maximum (with higher coverage of landmasses and lower coverage on the oceans).

Also, GLONASS will be very beneficial to anyone in the upper northern hemispere, and lower southern hemispheres as the system is of course globally active, but due to sat orbit inclination and distance (orbit heigth) it allows a better coverage of the regions closer to the polar regions, while GPS seem to be more designed to cover the "middle ground" and also have a lower orbit.

And when the US went to war in the middle east, I think I have read about some of the satellites being repositioned to give a better signal feed to the troops and equipment in that area, therefore automatically neglecting the rest of the world a little bit.

This is a really good feature I did not even read about in the reviews prior to purchasing. I pity the folks with the One X who don't have that... It will double satnav usability and accuracy even in less than optimal conditions (cities with high buildings covering satellite line of sight etc.)

Reactions: QuintusDias

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My HOS IS showing satelites number 69 and 71... are those GLONASS sats
    Out of 15 satellites that I could see, 6 were #65 or over. Looks like GLONASS is working fine.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm in Japan, but my phone came from the UK so is the European model (No One S for the poor Japanese, lol)

Yes they do. With GPS only I never had a situation where I could "see" more than 6-8 sats at once with a mobile and not all of them had a fix/lock because the signal was too weak (only once supposedly had 9, reported by an Audi in-car satnav with dedicated external antenna, but I am not sure if that was fixed sats or just the visible ones). I think as of now I think there are less than 30 functional sats in orbit globally and the GPS architecture hovers around an amount of 32-36 sats maximum (with higher coverage of landmasses and lower coverage on the oceans).

Also, GLONASS will be very beneficial to anyone in the upper northern hemispere, and lower southern hemispheres as the system is of course globally active, but due to sat orbit inclination and distance (orbit heigth) it allows a better coverage of the regions closer to the polar regions, while GPS seem to be more designed to cover the "middle ground" and also have a lower orbit.

And when the US went to war in the middle east, I think I have read about some of the satellites being repositioned to give a better signal feed to the troops and equipment in that area, therefore automatically neglecting the rest of the world a little bit.

This is a really good feature I did not even read about in the reviews prior to purchasing. I pity the folks with the One X who don't have that... It will double satnav usability and accuracy even in less than optimal conditions (cities with high buildings covering satellite line of sight etc.)