[Q] AT&T i717 won't recognize AT&T SIM

Search This thread

Bus_Driver

Dec 28, 2012
Hey guys, I'm an AT&T subscriber on an AT&T phone, and I can't get service after flashing a ROM in CWM.

This morning I flashed my G~Note i717 to Padawan 7. I noticed I could make calls and text, but all of my cellular data would not work. After a quick google, I assumed that I needed to reflash a modem, so I downloaded a UCLF6 modem and flashed it in CWM. My data still did not work, so I reverted to a stock android 4.0.4 ROM. Now, not even my SIM card is recognized. Cannot call, text, or data (wifi is still functional). It isn't an issue with the SIM, as it works in my iPhone 3GS, and my friend said it worked in his Galaxy SIII (LTE included).

Any suggestions?

PS: I've tried finding similar topics. Most of it was people on T-mobile trying to get their service to work on an AT&T phone. Still, I tried their fixes and no luck.

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
If you have voice and text, but no data, the modem is ok. The base rom you had is from Asia so it doesn't have the at&t data settings. You have to manually input the APN in the wireless settings.

I don't have any advice about the stock rom and your sim card issue, except to do a factory reset and re flash the rom.

Reactions: Bus_Driver

Bus_Driver

Dec 28, 2012
If you have voice and text, but no data, the modem is ok. The base rom you had is from Asia so it doesn't have the at&t data settings. You have to manually input the APN in the wireless settings.

I don't have any advice about the stock rom and your sim card issue, except to do a factory reset and re flash the rom.

Tried this, but still no luck. Thanks for the info though, I didn't know that about the modems. Anyone else have any ideas? I really don't want to go back to my iPhone on this one, even for a little bit...

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Check the apn settings very closely..
Upper and lower cases, spaces and periods etc.
Even one small error will fail the data connection.

Could you show us the APN you have now please ?...g

Bus_Driver

Dec 28, 2012

I can't open the APN settings. It's under Mobile Networks, right? It says I must insert a SIM card to access those features. (SIM card is in, btw).

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Understood ...
If you reverted to a stock rom then yes, that field is likely locked.
But you can add new APN'S with a rooted stock rom.
And I'm sure the problem lies there....g

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
Double check you have the card in the slot correctly. Its not hard to mess that up. Possibly borrow a sim card from anyone else (doesn't have to be at&t) and check that. Sim cards do get fried.

Bus_Driver

Dec 28, 2012
Understood ...

Any pro-tips/linkies on how to do this? Can't find anything that involves bypassing that little "Insert a SIM card to access these features" warning.
If it helps, my rooted ROM is 4.0.3 stock now, UCLD3.

Also, yeah, double and triple checked my SIM. It works just fine in my iPhone, and my friends' SIMs aren't recognized by the GNote.

Last edited:

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
No tricks I'm afraid .
If the "no sim" error persists, no APN additions can be made.
At this point, I would factory reset the device and try setting up again.
If that fails, I would Odin back to stock GB 2.3.6 and test again.

If you elect to Odin back, you must fully wipe the device first....or it won't be happy ...g

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

UCLD3 rom???
That's either Rogers , bell , or telus ..
I'm thinking you have the wrong rom ???

You should have the latest UCLF6 for ATT if wanting ICS
full wipe and flash the link I'm gonna post for you, along with the correct baseband.
Stand by ...g

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

http://d-h.st/Shk
Rom is UCLF6 rooted, pure stock .zip

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

http://rootdev.org/i717/TU2/OTA/Apps/i717-ICS-UCLF6-Modem.zip

Here's the radio ...baseband
Flash both in CWM after "FULL" wipe ..

Hopefully that will help .....if not ...ugh
It would not be the first device failure, but lets try this first ....g

Last edited:

billwtsn

Nov 8, 2010
Strasburg, Va
no Sim

I just went through the same thing had to take it to stock them wipe the flash data and sent it back for mechanical failure, got the new one overnight.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
I just went through the same thing had to take it to stock them wipe the flash data and sent it back for mechanical failure, got the new one overnight.

Yes ....the Odin to stock method will repair the damage on occasion, but not always, as in the case of your device.
I'm hoping we get lucky on this one, but I'm not holding my breath.

OP ....I feel you should try the .zip method first, then Odin back second if it fails.

You may also have mechanical damage, but we need to exhaust our other options first ....g

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Understood ...
    No tricks I'm afraid .
    If the "no sim" error persists, no APN additions can be made.
    At this point, I would factory reset the device and try setting up again.
    If that fails, I would Odin back to stock GB 2.3.6 and test again.

If you elect to Odin back, you must fully wipe the device first....or it won't be happy ...g

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

UCLD3 rom???
    That's either Rogers , bell , or telus ..
    I'm thinking you have the wrong rom ???

You should have the latest UCLF6 for ATT if wanting ICS
    full wipe and flash the link I'm gonna post for you, along with the correct baseband.
    Stand by ...g

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

http://d-h.st/Shk
    Rom is UCLF6 rooted, pure stock .zip

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

http://rootdev.org/i717/TU2/OTA/Apps/i717-ICS-UCLF6-Modem.zip

Here's the radio ...baseband
    Flash both in CWM after "FULL" wipe ..

Hopefully that will help .....if not ...ugh
    It would not be the first device failure, but lets try this first ....g

Yes ....the Odin to stock method will repair the damage on occasion, but not always, as in the case of your device.
    I'm hoping we get lucky on this one, but I'm not holding my breath.

OP ....I feel you should try the .zip method first, then Odin back second if it fails.

You may also have mechanical damage, but we need to exhaust our other options first ....g