Fascinate Beginner's Guide / FAQ

Search This thread

Gondeep11

Mar 1, 2011
I must say this is the best tutorial I have ever come across, I am new to rooting and have held off since my first Droid due to the fact it just seemed too complicated.

If your a noob like myself and watch the reviews and tutorials most of them make you feel like they are speaking a foreign language, kernel this, rom that, I could go on and on... Your guide is AWESOME and I really appreciate you taking the time to post it.

Hopefully, I don't brick my phone but I'm going to try to root right now...

Thanks again for a great post!

tdog0500

Mar 1, 2011
This has been a very helpful and informative post! Thanks!

In regards to using Clockwork Mod, does the updated zip file on your original post “cwm-recovery-ALL zip” act like the original update.zip when cold booting? Since having originally flashed the outdated CWMrecovery.tar file and ROM Manager seemingly a little flaky I want to know I can do a cold boot if I need to recover. Currently I'm not able to do a cold reboot and have to depend on ROM Manager.

Thanks!
---------------

okay, found my own answer here....great post and just in time too!

[HOW-TO] New Clockwork Manager - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=960118

For more details of my path thus far:
I am running the DL09 updated from OTA
Rooted using One Click method
Used Odin to install the old CWMrecovery tar (following the original instruction)
Used ROM Manager (3.0.0.8) to Flash ClockworkMod Recovery for the “fascinate”
Did not / could not get the Update.zip since it was no longer available
Currently ROM Manager gives me Force Close error
Read this thread’s OP
Used Titanium Backup to backup all apps and system data
Used Odin to flash the new / updated cwm-recovery-ALL.tar
Performed a Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, Samsung Fascinate
Rebooted into recovery using ROM Manager
Performed a backup in “red” cwm
So far so good…don’t have Bluetooth working, but should once I install the modem and new ROM…

Last edited:

Geospat

Feb 26, 2011
Noob Rooted and Ready to Rock

Finally decided to jump in had my SF for just over two weeks before the tinker bug took hold. Just wanted to say thanks to all that put these guide together you guys rock.

evanmcollier

Mar 5, 2011
Stuck on Step 1: Samsung Drivers

I have these unzipped--how do I install them? And how do I know which ones?

cuebask

Mar 16, 2011
Atlanta
Heavy DX user. Got this one for the wife. Should be on the porch today. This guide will certainly make things easy to bring her up to speed. Thanks for the work.

sohead

Mar 20, 2011
Great thread! REALLY helpful for us noobs trying to get up to speed on all this stuff!

So if I'm understanding it correctly, there are basically three main core pieces that must all be compatible with each other and be present on the phone - radio, kernel, and the rom? How are they usually packaged? like are the kernels and radio packages usually tar files loaded via odin, and then a rom is a zip file loaded through cwm? or????

Bawb3

Dec 1, 2010
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Great thread! REALLY helpful for us noobs trying to get up to speed on all this stuff!

So if I'm understanding it correctly, there are basically three main core pieces that must all be compatible with each other and be present on the phone - radio, kernel, and the rom? How are they usually packaged? like are the kernels and radio packages usually tar files loaded via odin, and then a rom is a zip file loaded through cwm? or????

Yep, Radios are always going to be flashed via Odin.
Roms / Kernels via Clockwork.

The EB01 based Froyo Roms from adrynalyne (Superclean) also include a kernel, some do, some dont.
Anyways, yes, you need a rom and a compatible kernel, and a radio to go with those.
As of now the only radio you have to worry about is Eb01 radio for 2.2(froyo) and the dl09 radio for 2.1(eclair).

acarter316

Mar 27, 2011
This helped me alot especially with the lingo thanks! but i cannot get my clockwork to run properly i have flashed several and none of them seem to ever work, i have seen the red only like twice then it will revert to standard, any ideas of how to fix this?

sohead

Mar 20, 2011
This helped me alot especially with the lingo thanks! but i cannot get my clockwork to run properly i have flashed several and none of them seem to ever work, i have seen the red only like twice then it will revert to standard, any ideas of how to fix this?

One of the more experienced people could probably be more help, but I had trouble with this at first too (getting the red CWM to stick,, and not just revert right back to blue upon next boot). I read that the verizon rom basically rewrites the stock blue CWM back every time it boots up.. So for me, it went something like this - I'd load a new kernel with ODIN, then I'd reboot the phone. on that first bootup, I'd be able to get to the red CWM, but only that FIRST TIME booting after the ODIN load.. otherwise if I rebooted the phone for any reason it would just revert right back to the stock blue cwm.. And I'd have to redo the ODIN kernel load again to get the red CWM to come up again.. So you have to be ready to load a new ROM right when you get that first chance at the red cwm (right after an ODIN kernel laod). That way you can get a new ROM loaded on there before the dang stock verizon rom overwites your red new cwm with the stock blue one again. And after that I was good to go, the red cwm stayed and I am on the new rom.

lucylking

Mar 29, 2011
Atlanta metro
Error.

Followed directions, stuck on Samsung screen.
Up/Down/Power on, goes into recovery:

E: Can't mount /dev/block/stl11
(Invalid argument)
#Can't mount ?dev/block/mmcblk0p1
(Invalid argument)
#manual mode#
(Invalid argument)
(Invalid argument)

Help? Yes, I'm a noob, but I followed the directions.
Also, if I attempt to factory reset, I get the same "block" error messages.

Last edited:

Splendad

Apr 12, 2011
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried the op's methods, then the Rom manager method and I can't get my fascinate up to 2.2. Just stays on 2.1, update 1. I'll list the levels:
hw 1500.04
fw 2.1-update1
baseband S:i500.04 V.EB01
kernel 2.6.29
build sch-i500.ea28

I did the whole flash-from-sd method, the rom manager load-and-restart method, and finally went and tried the one-file method from android central that uses the command-prompt method. No errors ever indicated; always messages of succesful updates, but my fw will not upgrade. Any ideas? I've spent 10 hours now reading these boards and going through updates... bout to collapse here.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone. I haven't been able to maintain this beginners' guide, but I highly recommend the following two threads:

Droidstyle's guide has anything and everything you need to get rooted:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1238070

User jawman27 has put together a glossary to help new users understand rooting terminology:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1513143

Enjoy.
    Will this work for the Samsung mesmerise from us cellular?

Sent from my SCH-I500
    Thank you for this beginner's guide. I'm new to flashing and rooting but following your instructions and links, I now have a sweet android phone I can call my own.
    Running JT super-clean and Stupid Fast overclocked with upgraded DJ05

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App
    Time to update this with adrynalyne's new skip-root Odin package for CWM.

Swyped from my Voodoo-powered Fascinate via XDA

I updated with a link to it.

I think the old method is still easier for people just starting out getting their phones rooted though.