Official 4.4 is that true?!

Search This thread

adam20115

Apr 19, 2012
I don't think that they are gonna update the Xperia S anymore. It's a shame as it's a good device, I hope they don't do the same and abandon my Z1 after 18 months like they did with this device. Hopefully tho they might update this but it's very unlikely

Sent from my LT26i using XDA Premium HD app

lee480

Jun 24, 2012
I don't think that they are gonna update the Xperia S anymore. It's a shame as it's a good device, I hope they don't do the same and abandon my Z1 after 18 months like they did with this device. Hopefully tho they might update this but it's very unlikely

Sent from my LT26i using XDA Premium HD app

Abandon? You expecting lifetime of updates? They didn't abandon Xperia S. The current firmware is fine.

Redstarr1

May 19, 2012
Keerbergen
Ofcourse,the current is f9.but there must be 4.3 or 4.4 update...but there is nothing.

Sent from my LT26ii using xda premium

Why must there be? There are unofficial versions, just use those. Are you expecting Sony to keep every single phone they ever released up to date? There must be hundreds by now (okay that was a hyperbole, 48 according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia), noone can keep up with that. If you must blame anyone or anything for the short while that phones are getting updates, blame Android because it's so hard to install on hardware (compared to more classic PC OS's like Windows and Ubuntu/Pick-Your-Favorite-Linux-Distro). Not even the Galaxy Nexus got an update to Android 4.4, and if there was one Nexus that was most like our Fuji-phones it was that one. So if our generation's Nexus isn't even getting any updates anymore, how do you expect a non-Nexus device to get that update.

Seriously, I don't like this either, so ever since KitKat I haven't run a stock ROM. Now you've learned that if stock updates are important to you, you should get a Nexus or a Google Play Edition device. Sony has been known not to be very good in providing long term updates ever since the Xperia X10 (their very first Android phone). And if you can't afford to get a new phone every 2 years (because that's how long it'll be relevant), you should stop being so sensitive about updates and be happy with what you have.

nisu4717

Dec 23, 2012
vidhya nagar
Why must there be? There are unofficial versions, just use those. Are you expecting Sony to keep every single phone they ever released up to date? There must be hundreds by now (okay that was a hyperbole, 48 according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia), noone can keep up with that. If you must blame anyone or anything for the short while that phones are getting updates, blame Android because it's so hard to install on hardware (compared to more classic PC OS's like Windows and Ubuntu/Pick-Your-Favorite-Linux-Distro). Not even the Galaxy Nexus got an update to Android 4.4, and if there was one Nexus that was most like our Fuji-phones it was that one. So if our generation's Nexus isn't even getting any updates anymore, how do you expect a non-Nexus device to get that update.

Seriously, I don't like this either, so ever since KitKat I haven't run a stock ROM. Now you've learned that if stock updates are important to you, you should get a Nexus or a Google Play Edition device. Sony has been known not to be very good in providing long term updates ever since the Xperia X10 (their very first Android phone). And if you can't afford to get a new phone every 2 years (because that's how long it'll be relevant), you should stop being so sensitive about updates and be happy with what you have.

I m using pure Aosp 4.4 right now.
And I m happy with it.
But see every nexus has offical cm support.they are also working on 4.4.
And here only billchane and rehman FX are working.thanks to them we have 4.4 build.suppose we don't have more support from them.than what we gonna do.then I will sell my sl..and surely buy nexus 5 or htc m7

Redstarr1

May 19, 2012
Keerbergen
I m using pure Aosp 4.4 right now.
And I m happy with it.
But see every nexus has offical cm support.they are also working on 4.4.
And here only billchane and rehman FX are working.thanks to them we have 4.4 build.suppose we don't have more support from them.than what we gonna do.then I will sell my sl..and surely buy nexus 5 or htc m7

Best not buy a HTC, support isn't great there either. The One X(L) isn't going beyond Android 4.2. If this is important to you, there's only q Nexus, a Google Play Edition phone or maybe a Motorola Moto X but we still have to see how long Motorola is going to support phones now they're part of Google.

And indeed we wouldn't be much without Rayman or bilchen. But it's like this for the vast majority of Android devices.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Xperia S met Tapatalk

Last edited:

dreezz

Feb 24, 2011
I tried several KK-based roms for xperia S, but all gave me random reboots :(
had some on 4.3, but with 4.4 I have too many to be stable as dayly driver.
i guess they all use the same kernel (open semc), that could explain why the all have it?
but... why do some people claim to have no reboots, and others have em 'all the time'?

i'm now on nature rom (4.1) and no problems at all, it's a great rom, but i really like 4.4 as well.
will there be a stable kernel/version soon?

monivan

Apr 3, 2010
Berlin
I tried several KK-based roms for xperia S, but all gave me random reboots :(
had some on 4.3, but with 4.4 I have too many to be stable as dayly driver.
i guess they all use the same kernel (open semc), that could explain why the all have it?
but... why do some people claim to have no reboots, and others have em 'all the time'?

i'm now on nature rom (4.1) and no problems at all, it's a great rom, but i really like 4.4 as well.
will there be a stable kernel/version soon?

Try Pure AOSP Kitkat rom! It's different build and I have no such problem with that

Sent from my SGP321 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tel033

Apr 4, 2012

First of all, the XS it's not just another phone sony launched, its a flagship device that only got two major updates (one actually cause ics should have been out of the box) so I at least expected 4.2 or 4. 3, even Galaxy s2 got them
second, the galaxy nexus didn't get 4.4 because of Texas instruments (supposedly) and as long as other oems continue to update it means it's possible and we have every right to complain about it

Sent from my XPERIA S using XDA app

nisu4717

Dec 23, 2012
vidhya nagar
First of all, the XS it's not just another phone sony launched, its a flagship device that only got two major updates (one actually cause ics should have been out of the box) so I at least expected 4.2 or 4. 3, even Galaxy s2 got them
second, the galaxy nexus didn't get 4.4 because of Texas instruments (supposedly) and as long as other oems continue to update it means it's possible and we have every right to complain about it

S has 2 updates ics,jb.and what about sl.sl was preloaded with ics.it has only jb update.

lee480

Jun 24, 2012

You're absolutely correct that Galaxy Nexus lack of KitKat is due to Texas Instruments. Similar, Xperia S ain't getting 4.2 and above due to Qualcomm, not Sony.

Sent from my LT28h using xda app-developers app

tel033

Apr 4, 2012
You're absolutely correct that Galaxy Nexus lack of KitKat is due to Texas Instruments. Similar, Xperia S ain't getting 4.2 and above due to Qualcomm, not Sony.

Sent from my LT28h using xda app-developers app

Ok then my mistake, but how would you then explain the galaxy s2 getting updates with a snapdragon s2?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ofcourse,the current is f9.but there must be 4.3 or 4.4 update...but there is nothing.

Thats I m thinking lte has s3.and have updates

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Hey s2 variant has s3 chipset.and and running official custome roms 4.4.2
    If sony wants they can use that sourse.
    And I have also read that msm8660 has kernal 3.1 rc4.and kitkat is using 3.1 kernal.correct me if I m wrong.so sony could use this kernal source if they are ready to give an update.ok

Again your facts are completely wrong. There are a few Samsung Galaxy S2 models with a Snapdragon S3 (please use the proper names because if you keep using S3 and S2 all the time this is going to be very confusing), but those models never got an update to Android 4.2. The only Galaxy S2's that got updated beyond Android 4.1 are the Exynos models. And what is an "official custom ROM" anyway?? That makes no sense, if it were official, it wouldn't be custom. I think this is a case where a developer added the word "official" to the name of the ROM to make it sound fancy. Looking through the I9100G forum (a Galaxy S2 with TI OMAP SoC), there's an "official" entry for MokeeOS with a Linux 3.0 kernel. As I will point out next, we are actually better off.

About the kernel, we have a Linux 3.4 kernel so that makes your last bit a bit redundant. I think you don't realize just how good we have it, our Linux 3.4 kernel is really good, and Sony didn't have to update it for us but they did and thanks to that we now have great KitKat custom ROMs. The Galaxy S2 with Exynos is the one gem out there, all other phones from the last year never got that kind of treatment. It's unfair to point to that one model from the biggest player in this business and saying that all other smaller companies should behave exactly the same on all their models. Samsung doesn't do this either (oh and the Galaxy S2 got updated to Android 4.2, not 4.3). So just stop pointing to other devices because ours got treated pretty good, we have a good kernel and stable custom ROMs. If you have issues with the custom ROMs like random reboots, you're doing something wrong.

The Xperia S might have been Sony's "flagship" device at the time it appeared, but it was hardly high-end. It ran Gingerbread, the SoC was a year old. Only the screen could be considered above average but it's actually a burden for the lower end GPU. This was all reflected in the price, I don't know about you guys but I didn't pay a lot for this device. If this was a €500+ phone I might agree that more updates were in order, but the price dropped very quickly. I also want to point out that that "flagship" argument makes no sense at all. Imagine a Chinese manufacturer making a line of smartphones, do you expect the "flagship" of that line to be updated as well? How do you even quantify what a flagship is? Sony released the Xperia T in the same year as the Xperia S, doesn't it make that one the actual flagship?

You pay for updates along with the price of your device. If you get the cheapest iPhone, you know that it isn't going to get the next version of iOS (and I paid less for my XS than I'd have to pay for an iPhone 4S at the moment). The only reason Nexus phones get updates faster and the devices are cheaper is because Google has a completely different business model. As long as you buy your phone from a company that completely focuses on hardware, you need to continue buying hardware.

Also, that update to ICS completely counts as an update, it was sold with GB and the ICS update took months to appear. If we were to get an official Android 4.2 update, it would probably not be ready even now at Sony's pace. It's just naive to believe that Sony would change their habits just for us.

This is an issue that will always remain in the current system of smartphones. What we need for this to change is modular devices. Until then, you'd better stop moaning about these updates because you're just making yourself sick and nothing is going to happen. Learn from your own mistakes, there's no need to argue with me. I've drawn my own conclusions on what I'll be getting in the future (probably not a Sony) and all I'm trying to say here is that we actually got treated quite well. There's no use in playing the outraged victim here if you don't do your research properly, it's just kind of sad.
    but has same kernel?

Different

Sent from my SGP321 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    i dont even know what the *****ing is in this thread. But to sum up

Unles qualcomm release the source for the chipset then Sony CAN'T update the phone to kitkat
    Hell I just want 4.2 or 4.3

No difference whatsoever in 4.1.2 and 4.3
    Just flash themes from 4.3 and ur good as new...
    And even try nature xperia 3.1 it's a great rom... If trying kitkat paranoid beta 4is best now