[Q] Losing root on deknoxed debloated stock 4.4

Search This thread

thedumbass

Oct 20, 2010
My phone has lost root twice now. It acted very strange when this happened. Hopefully you guys can help.

I'm on the stock kitkat 4.4.2 that I personally deknoxed and debloated. I have xposed framework and just a couple modules installed for it (gravity box, app settings, and keepchat) Everything is the same as it was on my phone when I had 4.3 app wise.

The first symptom I notice is that tapping the power button wont make the screen go to sleep. Holding it still brings up the power menu.
The first time it did this it also wouldnt connect to wifi and ate battery like crazy.
Used the flash zip to disable xposed and dirty flashed the rom. This fixed the wifi but not the power button.
Ended up totally flashing back to stock 4.4.2 with Odin and redoing everything. Downloaded pretty much all the apps from the app store and only used titanium backup to restore data on a couple things.

Everything worked fine ~3 weeks. Today it stopped working again. All the same symptoms. Absolutely nothing was changed between when it was working and when it stopped. All I did was reboot because I wanted to run speedtest from a clean boot. (comparing sprint 4G with verizon 4G at a friends)
Went to disable xposed straight from the app and it said it couldnt because I didnt have root. Downloaded rootchecker and it agreed that I did not have root.
Suddenly it started working again. Passed root checker and all. Then a couple minutes later it stopped again.
Downloaded towelroot and re-rooted with it. Everything seems to be back to normal for now.

Any ideas? Theories? Investigative follow up questions?

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

My phone has lost root twice now. It acted very strange when this happened. Hopefully you guys can help.

I'm on the stock kitkat 4.4.2 that I personally deknoxed and debloated. I have xposed framework and just a couple modules installed for it (gravity box, app settings, and keepchat) Everything is the same as it was on my phone when I had 4.3 app wise.

The first symptom I notice is that tapping the power button wont make the screen go to sleep. Holding it still brings up the power menu.
The first time it did this it also wouldnt connect to wifi and ate battery like crazy.
Used the flash zip to disable xposed and dirty flashed the rom. This fixed the wifi but not the power button.
Ended up totally flashing back to stock 4.4.2 with Odin and redoing everything. Downloaded pretty much all the apps from the app store and only used titanium backup to restore data on a couple things.

Everything worked fine ~3 weeks. Today it stopped working again. All the same symptoms. Absolutely nothing was changed between when it was working and when it stopped. All I did was reboot because I wanted to run speedtest from a clean boot. (comparing sprint 4G with verizon 4G at a friends)
Went to disable xposed straight from the app and it said it couldnt because I didnt have root. Downloaded rootchecker and it agreed that I did not have root.
Suddenly it started working again. Passed root checker and all. Then a couple minutes later it stopped again.
Downloaded towelroot and re-rooted with it. Everything seems to be back to normal for now.

Any ideas? Theories? Investigative follow up questions?

for some reason that happens to me when I'm on stock not on any other custom rom but when i clean flash a new rom everything is fine but if i Odin back to stock or flash one of the stock rooted via recovery i lose root a lot and when i re-root with Philz touch recovery i cant update the su binary with super su so i cant help you minus the flash a different rom answer I'm sorry :/

thedumbass

Oct 20, 2010
Not the answer I want to hear. But it is an answer and its appreciated.
By custom are you meaning stock based custom or full custom/AOSP based?

I know there are some stable custom roms out there but I like the general stability of stock especially since I still need to update my girlfriend's phone. She needs something that works all the time and a reboot will fix 99.9% of the issues she might see.

Our S3s are both ported to Ting. Hers is rooted mainly for the debloat and easy backup/recovery abilities. I told her until I knew mine was stable to just stay on 4.3 and ignore the update notification. She's had zero issues and I've had this one plus the external SD write crap. I'm definitely the nerd of the two of us and getting into flashing custom roms would be too much for her.

This might end up pushing me to something custom. If I do I'll just leave her behind at 4.3 and kill her update notifications permanently.

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

I know there are some stable custom roms out there but I like the general stability of stock especially since I still need to update my girlfriend's phone. She needs something that works all the time and a reboot will fix 99.9% of the issues she might see.

Our S3s are both ported to Ting. Hers is rooted mainly for the debloat and easy backup/recovery abilities. I told her until I knew mine was stable to just stay on 4.3 and ignore the update notification. She's had zero issues and I've had this one plus the external SD write crap. I'm definitely the nerd of the two of us and getting into flashing custom roms would be too much for her.

This might end up pushing me to something custom. If I do I'll just leave her behind at 4.3 and kill her update notifications permanently.

damn well i meant custom touchwiz and custom ASOP

Reactions: thedumbass

thedumbass

Oct 20, 2010
And now it's deleting system apps. Wtf. My alarm clock and calculator are gone. I sure didn't delete them. Titanium backup list most of the clock stuff as crossed out.

thedumbass

Oct 20, 2010
Still stock ND8 deknoxed. I froze the bloat rather than deleting. I haven't had a chance to flash anything new since starting this thread.

Starting to wonder if my nand is shot... I couldn't find any apps that would do an integrity check on the nand.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi
Still stock ND8 deknoxed. I froze the bloat rather than deleting. I haven't had a chance to flash anything new since starting this thread.

Starting to wonder if my nand is shot... I couldn't find any apps that would do an integrity check on the nand.

Start ultra fresh:

1. Backup anything you absolutely must including from the internal storage.

2. Take the SD card out and leave it out.

3. Download is necessary and check the MD5 hash of the zip or tar of the stock ND8 tar. The hashes are somewhere in that thread, just search it for MD5.

4. Odin the stock ND8 tar.

5. Odin the very latest Philz Touch Recovery tar.md5.

6. In Philz's settings, use the re-root option.

7. Don't restore any data via Titanium Backup or other app. Only restore apps via the Play Store.

8. Observe if all weirdness has gone away.

9. If so, backup what you want from your SD card, reformat it and if you want flash a different ROM. Check the hash of anything you flash, especially ROMs and kernels.

10. Do not restore any Nandroids.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! v2a ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v5.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: Ainz_Ooal_Gown

thedumbass

Oct 20, 2010
Just as a quick update bump.

I haven't had a chance to sit and do a proper wipe and flash from scratch. After I missed an appointment due to missing alarm clock I dirty flashed the rebooted nd8. This hit my clock calender and calculator back. Then I had to remove knox and bloat again.

My phone has locked the power button and WiFi a few times since. Running towel root seems to fix it though the towel root app freezes and has to be force closed.

I have noticed what seems to trigger it to screw up is letting the battery run dead to the point it auto offs. Just powering it off/rebooting or pulling the battery doesn't cause it though.

Do plan to wipe it clean soon. Between work and home I haven't had time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ainz_Ooal_Gown

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
And now it's deleting system apps. Wtf. My alarm clock and calculator are gone. I sure didn't delete them. Titanium backup list most of the clock stuff as crossed out.

I had the same thing happen to me. I *think* it had something to do with my debloating. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it think that many apps use the same processes. Deleting an app might delete processes needed by another app?
When using tibu, I've made it a habit to go slow. Wipe cache before I delete anything. Make a backup of any app I'm going to remove (after deleting data on that app). Only removing a few apps at a time, and making note if which apps I've removed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

damn well i meant custom touchwiz and custom ASOP
    Hi

Start ultra fresh:

1. Backup anything you absolutely must including from the internal storage.

2. Take the SD card out and leave it out.

3. Download is necessary and check the MD5 hash of the zip or tar of the stock ND8 tar. The hashes are somewhere in that thread, just search it for MD5.

4. Odin the stock ND8 tar.

5. Odin the very latest Philz Touch Recovery tar.md5.

6. In Philz's settings, use the re-root option.

7. Don't restore any data via Titanium Backup or other app. Only restore apps via the Play Store.

8. Observe if all weirdness has gone away.

9. If so, backup what you want from your SD card, reformat it and if you want flash a different ROM. Check the hash of anything you flash, especially ROMs and kernels.

10. Do not restore any Nandroids.

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! v2a ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
    senygy6y.jpg

n00b-xda-disciple's Wicked X Video review

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v5.2, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.
    Just as a quick update bump.

I haven't had a chance to sit and do a proper wipe and flash from scratch. After I missed an appointment due to missing alarm clock I dirty flashed the rebooted nd8. This hit my clock calender and calculator back. Then I had to remove knox and bloat again.

My phone has locked the power button and WiFi a few times since. Running towel root seems to fix it though the towel root app freezes and has to be force closed.

I have noticed what seems to trigger it to screw up is letting the battery run dead to the point it auto offs. Just powering it off/rebooting or pulling the battery doesn't cause it though.

Do plan to wipe it clean soon. Between work and home I haven't had time.