[Q] boot loop, how to update data to /data/system ?

Search This thread

ebackbone

Aug 19, 2011
Hi all,

anyone can point in the right direction how to get this boot loop fixed? theoretically i would want to push back the correct 3 locksettings files into /data/system as i have bad locksettings.db uploaded in it.

background info:
- boots into main home launcher then immediately reboots
- samsung note 3 with MJ7 stock rom but with MJ1 bootloader
- rooted and android 4.3, can access download mode and stock recovery mode
- knox 0 and wishing to remain as is

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
If you have USB Debugging enabled and have accepted the authentication request, then you should be able to remove the lockscreen settings like this:

adb shell
su
rm /data/system/locksettings.db
rm /data/system/locksettings.db-wal
rm /data/system/locksettings.db-shm
reboot

Other than that, you might just have to do a factory reset as that will remove the old lockscreen settings as well.

ebackbone

Aug 19, 2011
If you have USB Debugging enabled and have accepted the authentication request, then you should be able to remove the lockscreen settings like this:

adb shell
su
rm /data/system/locksettings.db
rm /data/system/locksettings.db-wal
rm /data/system/locksettings.db-shm
reboot

Other than that, you might just have to do a factory reset as that will remove the old lockscreen settings as well.
how do i get into adb? booting into download mode and stock recovery, i can't see any devices through the command "adb devices".

if i'm in stock recovery and choose the option "apply update from adb", only then can i see the device but i'm limited to adb sideload only without shell.

ebackbone

Aug 19, 2011
Have to be booted or custom recovery for adb to work.
initially that's what i thought.

i'm wondering is it possible to reflash through odin a small subset so that it replaces certain files into /data/system alone? theoretically that could work right? if so, i need some pointers on where to go to attempt that.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
initially that's what i thought.

i'm wondering is it possible to reflash through odin a small subset so that it replaces certain files into /data/system alone? theoretically that could work right? if so, i need some pointers on where to go to attempt that.

No. For 2 reasons. One, Odin doesn't work like that. It can install all the separate partitions, but not individual files and settings. And two, official firmware files don't wipe data.