[XAP + SDK] WP7 Root Tools 0.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Heathcliff74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2010
Download: www.wp7roottools.com

Today I am proud to announce the immediate availability of WP7 Root Tools 0.9 alpha and WP7 Root Tools SDK 0.1!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 brings true Root Access to devices with stock ROM's, but it also works on devices with custom ROM's and Full Unlock. Your device needs to be Interop Unlocked to use WP7 Root Tools!

This is still an alpha-release, because there are a lot of new hacks and the tools are still not feature complete! I have rewritten about 75% of all code from the previous release. So before you install WP7 Root Tools you should make a backup of your device. WP7 Root Tools will make changes to system settings and, although this has been tested, it is still possible that a problem occurs. In that case you want to have a recent backup of your device. Installing WP7 Root Tools will be your own responsibility. The author of WP7 Root Tools and the SDK cannot be held responsible for any damages caused directly or indirectly by installing and using WP7 Root Tools or the SDK!

Windows Phone is a closed system to protect the user and his/her personal data from malware and to protect the intellectual property of the developers. The downside of this closed system is that homebrew developers are very limited in their ability to control and tweak a Windows Phone device. With WP7 Root Tools I attempt to open up the system in a gentle way, so that users stay in control of their device, while homebrew apps can get more control to get the maximum power out of your Windows Phone device!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 now has a File Explorer, Registry Editor, Certificate Installer and a Policy Editor! Thanks to true Root Access on Windows Phone, this new version of WP7 Root Tools will work a lot faster than previous releases and it supports a lot more devices!

WP7 Root Tools should work on these devices:

- Samsung first and second generation devices
- LG devices
- HTC first generation devices with Mango v1 drivers (SPL 4.x or lower)
- Samsung first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock
- HTC first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock

On devices with stock ROM's WP7 Root Tools need to install Root Access. The first time it runs, a 2-phase-installation will start. The app will inform you to start the first install-phase. Then the device will reboot after a few seconds. After the reboot you need to start WP7 Root Tools again immediately! Then the second phase of the installation will start and your device will be rebooted again. After the second reboot you are ready to use WP7 Root Tools. You can use the Policy Editor to give other homebrew app a "trusted" status. With this you will give the app Root Access privileges. So be very careful to which app you give Root Access!! You are responsible for giving access to an app! If you are not sure, read the forums to decide if an app is trust-worthy.

I also created an SDK, which developers can use to profit from Root Access. It provides a way to gain access to the filesystem and the registry (and more) from their managed Silverlight application. No need to worry about COM interop and C++ anymore! The package contains a read-me with short instructions. More details and examples will follow soon! Over the last days Rafael Rivera from the Chevron WP7 team has tested the SDK and he is finishing up the first homebrew app that will use my SDK. He is planning to release his Backup-app soon.

I also need to thank some people for making this possible:

- My wife! (for having to put up with me while doing all this hacking!)

- YukiXDA (for helping me with research on policies)
- Justin Angel (for sending me a NOKIA)
- Cees Heim (for supplying an HTC device for testing)
- Rafael Rivera and Chevron WP7 team (for pioneering WP7 Unlocking)
- HD2Owner (for helping me make custom ROM's for testing)
- fiinix (for helping me with research on policies)
- Ultrashot
- xb0xm0d
- AndrewSh
- Ondraster
- Barin
- Football
- Cmonex
- GoodDayToDie
- Jaxbot
- Dennis Wilson

I will update the guides and manuals on www.wp7roottools.com and here on XDA in the next coming days. I need some time to update all of it.

Have fun with Homebrew now!

Heathcliff74

Last edited:

tooly26

Mar 22, 2010
big thx 4 all your work man!thxthxthx...

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
Previous Versions

Thanks for your great work. Do we need to uninstall previous versions before installing the latest version? I have .8, how do I install .9?

sensboston

Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2009
Boston, MA
Great news, thanks a lot! Successfully installed on Focus and Surround, no problems at all.

But I've tried "BT file transfer" and "Opera mini" (after install I've enabled "trusted" status for the apps): both apps not working properly. Should we expect updated versions of these apps (built with your SDK) or it's some another issue?

Reactions: Lidanh

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Fantastic work, Heathcliff74. Oh man, this is going to be awesome.

Suggestion: use one of your reserved posts to compile a list of trusted apps that benefit from policy elevation.

Two that I've found so far (one of mine):
Root Webserver (in my sig) - runs better with Root Tools than ever before.
TouchXperience - gives way more access through WPDM.

Two others that are in development:
LockWidgets - the preview build has some bugs, but it can be run with Root Tools.
XapHandler - the test build has some known issues (can't install or update if the app is already installed) but fresh install works at least some of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heathcliff74

kenikh

Nov 18, 2009
Awesome work! I can confirm that the install works perfectly on an LG Quantum.

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
Great news, thanks a lot! Successfully installed on Focus and Surround, no problems at all.

But I've tried "BT file transfer" and "Opera mini" (after install I've enabled "trusted" status for the apps): both apps not working properly. Should we expect updated versions of these apps (built with your SDK) or it's some another issue?

WP7 Root Tools will give Root Access to Silverlight apps. DFT BT and Opera Mini both use native executables. You can't give the executables root access with WP7 Root Tools (in fact, you only give the launchers Root Access). These apps could possibly be recompiled to run under TaskHost.exe (as all Silverlight apps do), but I'm not sure about the inner workings of the apps. You'd have to ask the developers.

I will investigate this matter. With all the hacks I have now, I should be able to give Root Access to executables too, but that needs more research.

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@sensboston: Those tools both require additional native binaries. WP7 Root Tools elevates apps, including all the DLLs they load (which is how the SDK works - it's a homebrew DLL, similar to the old Native.dll and company). However, it doesn't work with out-of-process binaries. Opera requires an EXE (which is obviously its own process) and BT File Transfer requires a driver.

In theory, supporting these would be possible. They'd need to be signed, and the certificates added to the Code Integrity store, but that's already possible. However, they'd also need new policies added. The current version of Root Tool only supports modifying the policies for installed TaskHost (Silverlight/XNA, possibly including some native code) apps, not adding policies for other apps.

BTW, although it's very limited, it turns out that Application.GetResourceStream can be used on files outside the app (with sufficient permissions). That means, if you want to write an app that only needs to access existing files at known locations, you don't even need to mess with native code... although the Root Tools SDK will make it quite easy to do such apps anyhow.

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
Thanks for your great work. Do we need to uninstall previous versions before installing the latest version? I have .8, how do I install .9?

You can just reinstall. No need to uninstall. From this new version on (version after 0.9) you better do an "UPDATE". Not all xap-installers support updating. A lot of them will do a full-install-cycle. If you do a full-install-cycle, you'll loose the permissions and you will have to do the 2-phase-install sequence again. If you do an in-place-update, you will keep the permissions and everything keeps working as expected.

Heathcliff74

dreamcaster012

Aug 23, 2010
West Virginia
Damn, doesn't work for me.

Verizon HTC Trophy
OS 7.10.8107.89
Firmware: 2305.13.20110.605
Hardware: 003

Thanks for the work! Hopefully I'll see support later. I probably updated to the HTC v2 drivers at some point.

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
Damn, doesn't work for me.

Verizon HTC Trophy
OS 7.10.8107.89
Firmware: 2305.13.20110.605
Hardware: 003

Thanks for the work! Hopefully I'll see support later. I probably updated to the HTC v2 drivers at some point.

Hmm. are you interop unlocked? I'm no expert with HTC's but that versionnumber looks like your drivers are not that new and could possibly be supported. If you are not Interop Unlocked, then read the opening post of my Interop Unlock thread. At the end of that post is a section specifically for Verizon Trophy's

Heathcliff74

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download: www.wp7roottools.com

Today I am proud to announce the immediate availability of WP7 Root Tools 0.9 alpha and WP7 Root Tools SDK 0.1!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 brings true Root Access to devices with stock ROM's, but it also works on devices with custom ROM's and Full Unlock. Your device needs to be Interop Unlocked to use WP7 Root Tools!

This is still an alpha-release, because there are a lot of new hacks and the tools are still not feature complete! I have rewritten about 75% of all code from the previous release. So before you install WP7 Root Tools you should make a backup of your device. WP7 Root Tools will make changes to system settings and, although this has been tested, it is still possible that a problem occurs. In that case you want to have a recent backup of your device. Installing WP7 Root Tools will be your own responsibility. The author of WP7 Root Tools and the SDK cannot be held responsible for any damages caused directly or indirectly by installing and using WP7 Root Tools or the SDK!

Windows Phone is a closed system to protect the user and his/her personal data from malware and to protect the intellectual property of the developers. The downside of this closed system is that homebrew developers are very limited in their ability to control and tweak a Windows Phone device. With WP7 Root Tools I attempt to open up the system in a gentle way, so that users stay in control of their device, while homebrew apps can get more control to get the maximum power out of your Windows Phone device!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 now has a File Explorer, Registry Editor, Certificate Installer and a Policy Editor! Thanks to true Root Access on Windows Phone, this new version of WP7 Root Tools will work a lot faster than previous releases and it supports a lot more devices!

WP7 Root Tools should work on these devices:

- Samsung first and second generation devices
    - LG devices
    - HTC first generation devices with Mango v1 drivers (SPL 4.x or lower)
    - Samsung first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock
    - HTC first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock

On devices with stock ROM's WP7 Root Tools need to install Root Access. The first time it runs, a 2-phase-installation will start. The app will inform you to start the first install-phase. Then the device will reboot after a few seconds. After the reboot you need to start WP7 Root Tools again immediately! Then the second phase of the installation will start and your device will be rebooted again. After the second reboot you are ready to use WP7 Root Tools. You can use the Policy Editor to give other homebrew app a "trusted" status. With this you will give the app Root Access privileges. So be very careful to which app you give Root Access!! You are responsible for giving access to an app! If you are not sure, read the forums to decide if an app is trust-worthy.

I also created an SDK, which developers can use to profit from Root Access. It provides a way to gain access to the filesystem and the registry (and more) from their managed Silverlight application. No need to worry about COM interop and C++ anymore! The package contains a read-me with short instructions. More details and examples will follow soon! Over the last days Rafael Rivera from the Chevron WP7 team has tested the SDK and he is finishing up the first homebrew app that will use my SDK. He is planning to release his Backup-app soon.

I also need to thank some people for making this possible:

- My wife! (for having to put up with me while doing all this hacking!)

- YukiXDA (for helping me with research on policies)
    - Justin Angel (for sending me a NOKIA)
    - Cees Heim (for supplying an HTC device for testing)
    - Rafael Rivera and Chevron WP7 team (for pioneering WP7 Unlocking)
    - HD2Owner (for helping me make custom ROM's for testing)
    - fiinix (for helping me with research on policies)
    - Ultrashot
    - xb0xm0d
    - AndrewSh
    - Ondraster
    - Barin
    - Football
    - Cmonex
    - GoodDayToDie
    - Jaxbot
    - Dennis Wilson

I will update the guides and manuals on www.wp7roottools.com and here on XDA in the next coming days. I need some time to update all of it.

Have fun with Homebrew now!

Heathcliff74
    I will release WP7 Root Tools 0.10 this weekend. It will have new features, but the new unlock is not yet ready. So it won't be in this version. I will release this version, because the current version will expire this weekend. I will release another version with the new unlock soon after this. The main feature of the new unlock is that you can run homebrew native executables.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Just a little progress report. I've not been very active in the forums in the last weeks. That's not because I didn't work on WP7 Root Tools. On contrary, I'm working really hard on this and I need to be focused on Research and Development, because the features I work on are extremely complex. But most research is done and I'm making real good progress on the development.

I'm mainly working on letting custom executables run with root access. And also some other nice features. I have not tested these hacks for drivers, like the DFT BT drivers. I will see if I can get that working too.

After this I will try to make this work on more devices.

When WP8 comes all hacking probably needs to be done from scratch. Hacking bootloaders will be more difficult due to SecureBoot. My hacks will probably not be affected by SecureBoot, but my guess is that the policy engine is rewritten for a significant part, because the new filesystem is based on NTFS. That probably means that the policies are not configured in the policy database, but in the filesystem itself.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Heathcliff74, a quick question to you: could you please provide us a little hint about Nokia hack status? Should we expect some tremendous news in near future? ;) Nokia Lumia 900 is coming so I'm extremely interested :eek:

Could take minutes, could take months. There is really no way of telling this. It's a matter of finding an exploit. I'm working on that.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74