Solar powered Screen protector

Search This thread

Zoidpilot

Jan 9, 2011
Florida
I think this is a great idea in concept, but not in use. I don't think our phones would last very long with our sensitive touch screens in direct sunlight all the time... Can't wait to see what this evolves into over time though.

hellcat82

May 11, 2010
Melbourne
I think this is a great idea in concept, but not in use. I don't think our phones would last very long with our sensitive touch screens in direct sunlight all the time... Can't wait to see what this evolves into over time though.

Yeah direct constant sun exposure would probably make short work of the display panel. However, charging in indoor lighting, while not as effective, would probably be the most useful application. Every time the phone is out of the pocket it's pretty much guaranteed to trickle charge.

I'd kill for it on the Desire HD.

FC1032

Aug 30, 2010
Sydney
I get that it runs by sunlight and indoor light (though less effective), but would it be possible to simply make it collect energy from the screen's backlight (emitted) light as well?

Even better collect light from the sun/indoor light AND the light from the phone? Hahaha, just some wishful thinking :)

BluDiablo

Feb 5, 2011
Chi-Town
U guys think that's impressive they have nuclear powered batteries on the way :O and they are claiming they can make the battery as small as the width of hair! Right now the technology is a bit bulky...its the size of a freakin' penny! Here's the link guys.

gajitz.com/pocket-size-power-potent-penny-sized-nuclear-battery/

ephestione

Mar 23, 2008
Rome
www.ephestione.it
Yup, phone integration in future models is the only way to go, especially since the guy said the films only costs the equivalent of one dollar for a typical phone (which leaves me quite surprised/unbelieving).
I just wonder about the battery life with so many and frequent charges. Anyone knows what happens when you always use your laptop plugged to mains and with the battery still inside.

DeathJester

Apr 15, 2005
Yup, phone integration in future models is the only way to go, especially since the guy said the films only costs the equivalent of one dollar for a typical phone (which leaves me quite surprised/unbelieving).
I just wonder about the battery life with so many and frequent charges. Anyone knows what happens when you always use your laptop plugged to mains and with the battery still inside.
There's no issue with frequent, small charges. Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries used to suffer from a memory effect, where the point where they were previously charged from became the new "0%". That doesn't happen with Ni-MH. They in fact fair better when recharged frequently, as allowing a Ni-MH battery to discharge totally can cause polarity reversal.

dexx0008

Apr 2, 2011
Twin Ciites, MN
be nice as supplemental power if indoor lighting can give you just a bit more juice that could be very welcome at the end of day. love technology.

cheskote

Nov 2, 2010
Madrid

ngarcesp

Apr 1, 2011
well, the actual solar chargers take about 5 hours to charge 10% of the battery, so i hope this work much better than that

Devport

Mar 11, 2011
Imagine how much green power will be gathered threw photovoltaics instead of dirty power once billions of mobile phones use it !

At the cost of us not having to charge phones ( as often ) anymore !

( Lets hope the power industry will not try to postpone this technology )

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts