Defragging Internal Storgage

Search This thread

rumpleforeskin

Jan 20, 2008
Is there any software, preferably freeware, that is capable of defreagging the internal storage of the diamond?

On my previous devices i have had the benefit of removing the SD card and defragging it on my PC, but this is not possible on the diamond!

Nameless21

Dec 29, 2007
Holmfirth
Connect your diamond to your pc and select disk drive connexion type. Then go into my computer and find Removable Disk. You can the defrag it using windows as if you were defragging your hard drive

rumpleforeskin

Jan 20, 2008
while it is true that defragging will introduce more write operations to the storage, the frequency of defragging required to maintain good drive speed is not so high as to be detrimental to the hardware (once every six weeks or so works well for me)

While it may seem that solid state storage will not gain performance from defragging this is simply not the case. a quick benchmark of your own hardware will prove that there is a boost gained from defragging your storage.

here is an article posted by someone that reflects my own findings and clearly shows an advantage to defragging your solid state storage.

I know it seems illogical that solid state should benefit from a defrag and this myth seems to be further propagated by people who have not tested the benefits themselves, but i have tested and know there is sometimes a massive performance boost (over 40%)

http://tony72.googlepages.com/ppc_frag

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
no not really
machanical storage like optical and hd's
suffer from fragmention because their seek
time is limited by the fact that fysical heads have
to move to find data
flash and memory however is not machanical at all
and have seektimes in nano secs
so accessing the address space right next to the one
you are currently reading will not really take longer
then addressing one far from it in the flash

so any speed up you may feel is likely to be placebo

ZuinigeRijder

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2008
www.zuinigerijder.com
If you are afraid defraggers will too often write your SD card on the same place:
- copy the whole SD card to your PC
- delete de contents of de SD card
- copy back the contents from your PC to the SD card

In this way the content will be likely stored without fragmentation and it will be written only once.

rumpleforeskin

Jan 20, 2008
no not really
machanical storage like optical and hd's
suffer from fragmention because their seek
time is limited by the fact that fysical heads have
to move to find data
flash and memory however is not machanical at all
and have seektimes in nano secs
so accessing the address space right next to the one
you are currently reading will not really take longer
then addressing one far from it in the flash

so any speed up you may feel is likely to be placebo

I understand all the technical read/write motions of the head in a HDD and why it takes longer if it has to jump about, and i know solid state has no such impairment so defragging should not make any difference but it does.

The speed up is not something i "feel" but a measured improvemnt shown in benchmarking the storage read/write both before and after a defrag. No placebo effect involved

If you are afraid defraggers will too often write your SD card on the same place:
- copy the whole SD card to your PC
- delete de contents of de SD card
- copy back the contents from your PC to the SD card

In this way the content will be likely stored without fragmentation and it will be written only once.

This is an excellent idea :D