[REF] Recover AT&T Note to GB Factory with Kies (Will NOT trip your flash counter!!)

Search This thread

deadman_raziel

Nov 2, 2011
Chambersburg
[REF] Recover AT&T Note to GB Factory with Kies (Will NOT trip your flash counter!!)

Yes, I'm aware that this isn't the accepted way, but it DOES work even with a custom rom & rooted!!

You MUST have Kies full installed on the desktop/laptop and make sure you're updated to the latest version.

1) Boot your note into download mode
2) Connect your Note to the laptop with factory USB cable
2) Launch Kies on your desktop (full version)
4) Choose Tools, Firmware upgrade & initialization
a) While in download mode, pull battery and enter the S/N & model name (ALL CAPS!!)
b) It will prompt to initialize to original settings. Click "YES"
c) It will prompt to initialize the latest version. Click "YES"
d) It will download the firmware upgrade components (DO NOT DISCONNECT THE DEVICE!!)

5) It will prompt for firmware upgrade and initialization.
a) Click check box for reading above information
b) Click your choice if you want your information saved on Samsung Kies corporate servers (I choose WITHOUT saving).

Just kick back, wait and the phone will update to the original out of box software with the latest updates already applied. No issue with anything, no tripping of the flash counter, and Samsung/AT&T knows now different (if you tripped the counter back before performing this, or performed the process of installing CWM recovery through ADB as to NOT trip the flash counter when changing recovery).

This is the EXACT process I did, and had an AT&T tech verify and it's not detectable I was rooted, and was running a custom ICS ROM. Now, I will qualify that I DID the Recovery installation with ADB so that I didn't trip the counter with the Recovery installation. So if they are able to check the binary information to detect modification even with flash counter reset, that's out of my hands and can't confirm or deny.

This is ONLY to reset to factory GB Latest & greatest for performing OTA/Kies update of ICS when it's finally released.

smirk838

Jul 3, 2012
Thanks for this. I just got my first android phone a few days ago and needed to go back to stock to return for a new one. I upgraded to ics, then recently flashed back to stock, but my baseband never changed and I was stuck with two on the counter. I'm super new to this and had an iPhone for 5 years, but I think I download the new cwm so I can reset the counter, then do the emergency download with kies and I should be back to stock out of the box, right? I just hope I can find an easy guide to get the updated cwm, I'll search in.the morning. Thanks again for the kies suggestion. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

tyler79durdan

Sep 28, 2011
1:1.61803
So this "process" resets flash counter while installing factory image? Or would I need to use the reset file first? Please explain... And thanks.

smirk838

Jul 3, 2012
You need to reset the flash counter first

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Cool !!!
I'm gona try this...just because...LOL
Thank you !!!.....g

P.S.
If you want to avoid the battery pull for the serial/model info, it's located on your original packaging if you have it....Just throwing that out..
I hate pulling batteries....g

Last edited:

toyfreak

Feb 9, 2006
Indianapolis
Worked!

Thanks. Tried it for the hell of it and yes, you need to follow the OP instructions exactly but success if you do.

blackj30

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks a lot. I've been looking for this, because event when i flash my note back to original rom, kies still didnt regconize the note.

smirk838

Jul 3, 2012
Worked perfectly! Thank you so much :) I just had to get cwm, reset the flash conter and let kies do all the work.

Thanks again~

blackj30

Jun 25, 2012
Anyone knows if any official ics rom out for at&t note yet?

Clark Joseph Kent

Senior Mod / Moderator & RC-RT Committees Lead
Staff member
Dec 17, 2011
www.marines.com
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Anyone knows if any official ics rom out for at&t note yet?

What took them (samsung, at&t) so long to release it while the devs in here already got their roms hey

Huh...to answer your questions....see my link for GNote...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Last edited:

blackj30

Jun 25, 2012
If it was you would see 100 noobs starting new threads about it on XDA.

Hi Agoat, I saw your sig you are on UCLE5 RC1, can you run touchwiz on this? i am running this rom from AppDroid too, but don't have touchwiz, can't run weather or add task widget to home screen. besides, this rom works perfectly smooth.

thanks

isu8023

Jul 26, 2010
ever since i did this my phone keeps popping up communication error for looking for an update... is there a way to stop this from popping up????

deadman_raziel

Nov 2, 2011
Chambersburg
Um, that's interesting because I've never run into this issue. Are you running the I717 on AT&T?? This has only been tested by me on the AT&T Branded US Galaxy Note.

It was confirmed by many (as seen on the thread) to work on the AT&T Note. Did you follow the directions completely? If you are able to get into download mode on the device, I'd say do it again and make sure you didn't end prematurely.

xTokkerths

Jul 3, 2012
Yes, I'm aware that this isn't the accepted way, but it DOES work even with a custom rom & rooted!!

You MUST have Kies full installed on the desktop/laptop and make sure you're updated to the latest version.

a) While in download mode, pull battery and enter the S/N & model name (ALL CAPS!!)
d) It will download the firmware upgrade components (DO NOT DISCONNECT THE DEVICE!!)

b) Click your choice if you want your information saved on Samsung Kies corporate servers (I choose WITHOUT saving).

Just kick back, wait and the phone will update to the original out of box software with the latest updates already applied. No issue with anything, no tripping of the flash counter, and Samsung/AT&T knows now different (if you tripped the counter back before performing this, or performed the process of installing CWM recovery through ADB as to NOT trip the flash counter when changing recovery).

This is the EXACT process I did, and had an AT&T tech verify and it's not detectable I was rooted, and was running a custom ICS ROM. Now, I will qualify that I DID the Recovery installation with ADB so that I didn't trip the counter with the Recovery installation. So if they are able to check the binary information to detect modification even with flash counter reset, that's out of my hands and can't confirm or deny.

This is ONLY to reset to factory GB Latest & greatest for performing OTA/Kies update of ICS when it's finally released.

Hey, i think i have a problem here. I was on GB 'cause i follow the instructions and i finally got to gb but then i flashed the latest ics leak but there's a bug when i close something by touching the home button it makes like it crashed or something.. i tried to do this again but it keeps saying the S/N is invalid. Any clue? :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is how I did before

1. Write down your S/N & model name on paper
    2. Boot your note into download mode
    3. Launch Kies on your desktop (full version)
    4. Connect your Note to the laptop with factory USB cable
    5. Choose Tools, Firmware upgrade & initialization
    6. Enter the model Name then S/N (ALL CAPS!!)

different a bit to your description:
    ) Boot your note into download mode
    @mamaboo:

1. Flash CWM kernel.

2. Flash rooted kernel.

Everything you need is here on Bigjoe's Super Everything page:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28040353

Just follow the above sequence to get to your goal. Flash the fancy roms after you get your rig working.

And hit the thanks button for Bigjoe and the other threads you will visit.
    Thank you

My Note was rooted and on a custom ICS. I followed your instructions and now all is back as it should be, plus AT&T upgraded it to ICS. Awesome!
    Re: [REF] Recover AT&T Note to GB Factory with Kies (Will NOT trip your flash counter

Thanks a lot, but I'm not getting this "pull the battery thing" isn't this going to screw up the download mode? Why can't i get this info and write it down before I do anything with Kies?
    USB power alone is enough to keep the phone on whilst in download mode, although there is nothing stopping you writing it down in advance.