AndroidAthenaProject1.0

Search This thread

fards

Inactive Recognized Developer
android full source

Google have released the full source now, looks promising except for the HVGA part.....

http://source.android.com/release-features

About Android's operating system:

* Based on Linux 2.6.25 for ARM.
* Platform currently expects ARM V5T or better architecture. Support for earlier architectures could be added, but CPUs without an MMU would be difficult to support.
* A set of kernel enhancements are provided to support Android. The patches include alarm, ashmem, binder, power management, low memory killer, kernel degugger, and logger.
* While the platform is designed to be chipset agnostic, and will run on virtually any ARM-based Linux kernel environment, version 1.0 of the platform has been tested and verified on the MSM 7K chipsets. Over time we expect to see support for other major chipsets. Kernel patches for MSM based chipsets are also available.
* FAT32 file system is supported.
* Support for TCP/IP (TCP, UDP, etc).

A minimal reference bootloader for the supported chipset is provided. It is capable of booting Linux from RAM, debugger, and NAND Flash.

About Android's support for debugging:

* Debugging native code is supported via GDB (GNU Project Debugger) over USB.
* Debugging managed code is supported via any JDWP-compatible debugger over USB.
* Logging and crash logs supported for debugging.

Supported hardware

* The platform will run on almost on any ARM based Linux kernel environment.
* The platform requires a minimum of 128 MB of RAM and 256 MB of Flash memory. An OEM may want to support more Flash memory to make it possible to download more third-party applications to user devices.
* The platform will interface with a baseband radio stack provided externally via a Radio Interface Layer (RIL).
* 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi
* Standard USB interface, including USB 2.0
* Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
* Camera for still and video capture
* Removable storage

Supported display

* HVGA resolution
* 16 bit color depth
* Landscape and portrait orientation, including dynamic runtime switching
* Finger-based touchscreen navigation

netventure

Mar 20, 2008
Checking out Android 1.0

Hi,

I've built Andriod 1.0 from source and have tried to run it on my Athena but to no luck yet. Here is how I'm building:

1. Get entire source from Google
2. cd mydroid
3. make
4. cd kernel
5. make ARCH=arm msm_defconfig
6. set path: PATH=$PATH:~/mydroid/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.2.1/bin
7. make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi- bzImage

I've used msm_config and also tried mistadman's .config file but neither of them worked for me. I do not get past the initial screen "loading kernel.." or something like that

Are there any specific parameters that need to be set in default.txt for haret to work?

-NV

lmf_slacker

Jun 17, 2005
Hi there,

can seem to download from either places, able to upload it on maybe MU or yourfilehost? Thank you!... : )

echo31

Sep 23, 2007
sourceforge.net
Can we find some developers motivated to improve the HTCAthena kernel?
I want to participate, but we must collaborate around a common arch (GIT or CVS).

patolinux

Jul 14, 2008
No news yet?

No news about android on the Athena? Or Linux on the Athena, for that matter? I have all kinds of problems with Windows Mobile and frankly it's about time to have Linux running on my phone.

Dec 16, 2007
San Francisco
Realistic?

Hey I have been struggling with my Athena for going on 2 years now and the only thing which has made it useable with Windows Mobile has been the wonderful support here at xda-developers, IMHO. I have been keeping my fingers crossed for Android on my Athena, but I am beginning to think Android is never gonna happen for it.

Realistically, what kind of money would have to be raised to jumpstart this? Could it be / is it somehow shared between projects so that the elements central to Athena's Android development could cross-pollinate with other Android development here at XDA-Developers?

Besides money, what can I personally do to assist with this? I am not a programmer per se, and I have never done development on Windows Mobile, but I am technical-minded and open to whatever and i have some time to devote to this.

I am sorry if my questions or approach are too naive.

-=Drew

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
You know, more than andriod, this device is suited to a rela linux build. I mean, is there anything really that this little thing doesn't have that a netbook PC doesn't? The size and storage are pefectly set up for a nice littleLinux distro...

Oh well, this and Linux are only a pipe dream..

Bradaland

Apr 18, 2009
Hampton, NH
Android

I just did the Android install on my Dopod U1000....Great Work!
Really Cool Stuff!

I hope this project has not been abandoned!
Android on Athena is an E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T idea!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    unfortunately i have never touched the android system.. just iOS and WM..:((

I may be tempted back to this project sometime in the future, I still have my athena and it would make a nice tablet for me at home.
    I hate to say it, but you all really need to give up on this project, I spent literally hundreds of hours working on this years ago and during that time android and the corresponding hardware moved so quickly that it became not worth it.

I still have 2 athena's here, but the hardware is so far out of date compared to what is available now and very cheap capacitive android tablets can be bought for next to no money and I struggle to see what the athena can bring that these can't.

You will wasting your time I am afraid, if I recall correctly the GIT repo's dont even carry the code for the device anymore.