[HOW-TO] Preparing to flash an ND8 (kitkat) rom

Search This thread

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi, sorry for this lame question and it's quite clear from your statement above the answer to what I'm about to ask, but just to be REALLY clear, updating the bootloader to ND8/NDC does NOT preclude a user from flashing an older android version as long as the bootloader is not downgraded, correct? For instance, maybe I'm missing something but I find Kitkat going more or less the iOS direction, and would love to just stay on/go back to 4.3.

In short, can I install a 4.3 ROM with an ND8/NDC bootloader?

Thanks in advance

Yes. Just to be clear, Android / KitKat has nothing to do with Knox. That's a Samsung thing.

Android L is supposed to contain certain elements of Knox, but from what I read it has to do with aspects that wouldn't necessarily concern those that Knox on Samsung are concerned about.

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: n00b-xda-disciple
Yes. Just to be clear, Android / KitKat has nothing to do with Knox. That's a Samsung thing.

Android L is supposed to contain certain elements of Knox, but from what I read it has to do with aspects that wouldn't necessarily concern those that Knox on Samsung are concerned about.

Thanks for that. Not sure why we're talking about Knox or more specifically being assumed I was confused between Knox and Android, although I do understand the fact that Knox is built into the bootloader of the stock KitKat for the SIII, is related to bootloader compatibility of previous Android versions and people have been bricking devices by ODIN'ing full <4.4 tar's on top of the ND8/NDC bootloaders.

Now, one last question about this topic...how do I tell if the 4.3 Zip I'm about to flash in recovery on my ND8 bootloader does NOT contain an older bootloader which will brick my phone? Is it more or less a rule that recovery flashable zip will NEVER contain a bootloader? What's the name of the bootloader binary to look for to be absolutely certain unless of course as mentioned above, NO flashable zip will contain a bootloader, and I can't flash away zips in recovery?

Again thanks for the patience & sorry for stupid questions :)

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for that. Not sure why we're talking about Knox or more specifically being assumed I was confused between Knox and Android, although I do understand the fact that Knox is built into the bootloader of the stock KitKat for the SIII, is related to bootloader compatibility of previous Android versions and people have been bricking devices by ODIN'ing full <4.4 tar's on top of the ND8/NDC bootloaders.

Now, one last question about this topic...how do I tell if the 4.3 Zip I'm about to flash in recovery on my ND8 bootloader does NOT contain an older bootloader which will brick my phone? Is it more or less a rule that recovery flashable zip will NEVER contain a bootloader? What's the name of the bootloader binary to look for to be absolutely certain unless of course as mentioned above, NO flashable zip will contain a bootloader, and I can't flash away zips in recovery?

Custom ROMs don't contain bootloaders. You're welcome!

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

bilgerryan

Inactive Recognized Developer

Unless it says specifically that it is a bootloader (haven't heard of anything but Odin running them but anything is possible with some of the geniuses on here), it's safe to assume that it doesn't contain one.

ZkAaTbh.jpg

My ROM: WICKED X

kalala

Mar 25, 2010
Is there a reason that some apps, like Hangouts, seem to have their own maximum clock speed other than one I have set universally using SetCPU?

When I run most other apps, or even just at the home screen, I have the CPU set to 1.2 Ghz with the "screen on." For some reason, Hangouts seems to take that maximum clock speed and cap it at 1.02 Ghz when I am in the Hangouts app and typing a message. I feel it even causes my keyboard to lag and misspell things horrifically.

Am I crazy? I know the clock speed goes down because I have an Xposed Module to display CPU speed on the notification bar and I never see it above 1026 or whatever it is. Soon as I quit the app, it shoots back up to 1.2 or so and other apps can hit that mark. Not Hangouts.

bilgerryan

Is there a reason that some apps, like Hangouts, seem to have their own maximum clock speed other than one I have set universally using SetCPU?

When I run most other apps, or even just at the home screen, I have the CPU set to 1.2 Ghz with the "screen on." For some reason, Hangouts seems to take that maximum clock speed and cap it at 1.02 Ghz when I am in the Hangouts app and typing a message. I feel it even causes my keyboard to lag and misspell things horrifically.

Am I crazy? I know the clock speed goes down because I have an Xposed Module to display CPU speed on the notification bar and I never see it above 1026 or whatever it is. Soon as I quit the app, it shoots back up to 1.2 or so and other apps can hit that mark. Not Hangouts.
Yes, some apps have their own clock speed they set it to.. There's an option in Wanam Xposed to disable that.

ZkAaTbh.jpg

bilgerryan

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I didn't know there was such a thing that varied by app.

Is this a Stock ROM thing, or does this happen in CM and other ROMs too?
It's mostly benchmark apps like Quadrant that I've heard doing it. I've never heard of Hangouts being a culprit, but I know it is possible for apps to do so... As I said this is on the app level, the ROM you're using won't matter. Maybe try overclocking one step and see if it still brings the clock speed down.

ZkAaTbh.jpg

Reactions: n00b-xda-disciple

bigfoot.kom

Jun 29, 2012
Hello. I have an att i747. Is this rom compatible? Thank you. It looks great! Would like to use it.

ricosf415

Nov 12, 2013
does anyone know why after i flashed wicked v8.0 all of a sudden no musmusic or sound and even my video player will not work.speakers no sound and also jead phone dont work is there any fix for this

Spidakid

Sep 12, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
these are the instructions.. they're pretty simple but at #4 that file doesnt show up when I click PDA,,,, its dowloaded.

1. Extract Download file
2. Put phone into download mode (power off, then power button + Volume Down, then volume up when prompted)
3. Open Odin (right click > open as administrator)
4. Load File L710VPUCND8_L710SPRCND8_L710VPUCND8_HOME.tar.md5 into the PDA slot
5. Start flashing
6. Grab some popcorn because it will take a while

Ainz_Ooal_Gown

these are the instructions.. they're pretty simple but at #4 that file doesnt show up when I click PDA,,,, its dowloaded.

1. Extract Download file
2. Put phone into download mode (power off, then power button + Volume Down, then volume up when prompted)
3. Open Odin (right click > open as administrator)
4. Load File L710VPUCND8_L710SPRCND8_L710VPUCND8_HOME.tar.md5 into the PDA slot
5. Start flashing
6. Grab some popcorn because it will take a while

did you download it?

Spidakid

Sep 12, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah its downloaded.
See its downloaded to the left<<<<<<<
But it doesnt show up to the right>>>>>>
28tdn3n.jpg

Got it to select the file... and now I get a fail, when i try to flash.

Last edited:

bilgerryan

Yeah its downloaded.
See its downloaded to the left
28tdn3n.jpg
You have the L710T Model? DON'T ODIN ND8! IT'S NOT FOR YOUR PHONE! This is why posting the same thing in multiple threads is bad, stick to one thread for your problems. Your phone came with the Kit Kat Bootloader so there is no reason to ODIN anything. Go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=57771083
. Follow the instructions there and you will have Wicked X up and running.

ZkAaTbh.jpg

My ROMs: Wicked X & Wicked S5 Xperience

Last edited:
Reactions: Chad The Pathfinder

Spidakid

Sep 12, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
You have the L710T Model? DON'T ODIN ND8! IT'S NOT FOR YOUR PHONE! This is why posting the same thing in multiple threads is bad, stick to one thread for your problems. Your phone came with the Kit Kat Bootloader so there is no reason to ODIN anything. Go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=57771083
. Follow the instructions there and you will have Wicked X up and running.

ZkAaTbh.jpg

aww dude i told you I had a L710t and you told me to follow the link on #4 and it lead me here. Thanks for the help man! This was all made difficult because chrome wont open most of the links... and I had to move files from my phone which made them invalid. i dont expect anymore problems that i wont be able to handle thanks again.

Last edited:

bilgerryan

aww dude i told you I had a L710t and you told me to follow the link on #4 and it lead me here. But nonetheless now the only problem is when ever i try to select phillz recovery it says md5 error! binary is invalid.
Yeah I was thinking of the wrong thread, sorry I have two ROMs (I fixed it in the instructions in the OP now)... that means you got a bad download of the ROM or a really old version of Philz. If there is an option of "Don't use old binary" or something along those lines, uncheck it and then flash. If you do have that option, you have an old version of Philz.

ZkAaTbh.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Given that the first ND8 rom is out there now, I'd thought it would be a good idea to write up the steps you need to take BEFORE you can proceed to flashing your first ND8 rom.

Steps to take/verify before flashing an ND8 rom
    1. Check your bootloader version. If you are not on the ND8 bootloader, any ND8 rom you flash will brick your device.

You can check your bootloader version by running the following command in a terminal emulator app/shell on your device. Adb shell will work as well if you know how to get that going.

Code:
      getprop ro.bootloader

If the version string it returns ends with "ND8" (no quotes of course), you are golden and you can skip to STEP 5. Otherwise continue to step 2.
    2. Oh no. You ARE NOT on the ND8 firmware so you need to flash it before you can safely flash your first ND8 rom. Head over to THIS thread and flash the stock tar using ODIN (or a similar program) ON YOUR PC. Mobile ODIN will not just fail to flash it properly, but may leave you with an inoperable device aka brick. Don't try to take shortcuts. Following the instructions in the stock tar thread for how to flash the tar. NOTE: The restore tar MAY or MAY NOT wipe your internal storage so back up your information as necessary.

After flashing the stock tar, head back here and move on to step 3
    3. Download a custom recovery tar (I highly recommend Philz touch, works for flashing kitkat roms well with the greatest consistency. Grab the latest tar HERE)
    4. Flash the recovery tar with ODIN (or a similar computer program such as jodin, heimdall, etc) the same way you flashed the stock tar.
    5. Now you can flash your rom. Yes, it is slightly tedious the first time, but once you are on the ND8 firmware you needn't repeat these steps the next time you want to flash an ND8 rom :good:

Devs and others, I encourage you to refer all ND8 flashing questions here to keep things centralized and have one set of info from one person versus multiple from multiple people.

Have fun flashing!
    I've been itching to move to ND8. I'm currently on MD4, with no knox. With all this talk of knox, is it really that bad to have?

Are there any other downsides to having a bootloader with knox?

No, and no.
    So just to be clear if I follow those 2 steps above I then can flash any ND8 ROM, I got that, but will the phone still be rooted?

Give me a sec and I'll post some links for you. I'll edit this post with them.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2743971

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2750674

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2741413

Follow the instructions in ANY of those thread's first posts AFTER ODINing ND8 and you'll be rooted.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.
    Thank you CNexus for all your genius work. Had to pop my cherry to thank you. You and other devs have help me unbricked my hard bricked phone. Now Im as good as new with KitKat running. Now to a flash this Wicked Rom. :laugh:

You are going love wicked x v6.5

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Some noob questions.
    I'm rooted primarily for the hotspot and the various extra features some apps offer for root users. I'm still on 4.1.2 and the OTA notification has been driving me absolutely nuts. The Odin flash is supposed to wipe everything. I've backed up my current stock rom through TWRP and I've backed up through Titanium Backup and copied those backups to one of my computers. My concern is after the upgrade to KitKat, will I be able to restore my app settings, data and importantly, the SMS and MMS? There are apps I used for work and various tasks like S Memo and important MMS that I really cannot lose. I've avoided doing this but the OTA alerts are crazy...interrupting video capture and other applications.

Can I simply use Titanium to restore all this stuff or will it really goof up my phone? The MMS and SMS are the most important. There aren't any programs that can properly back up and restore MMS that I have found other than an android transfer program and I've heard Titanium Backup can somehow.
    If something goes wrong or if I am unable to, can i reflash my TWRP backup and revert? From what I've read, it looks like I can't.

I never had to worry about losing my data when I was updating my rooted HTC devices. This procedure having to sidestep KNOX is annoying.

Thanks to any replies.

Yes and yes. I don't know where you read you can't restore a nandroid but tell them to quit spreading lies.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png
    A couple days ago i flashed Philz 6.00.8 d2spr for rooting my virgin mobile s3 4.3 version with odin. Today I upgraded with 4.4 kit Kat stock tar, then flashed philz 6.008 again through odin, rooted ,debloated ect. My question is can I upgrade/flash philz 6.00.8 d2spr to the newst philz recovery through recovery? Or do I need to odin a recovery again. Also i originally tried to odin the d2lte version but odin said it was invalid so I used the d2spr.

Sent from my SPH-L710

You can flash any recovery from your custom recovery. The first one is just Odined because you can't flash that from stock recovery.

Old Philz had separate SPR and LTE builds. The SPR ones aren't built anymore and you can flash the latest LTE one just fine, that's what I use.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII with M.O.A.R. v9.0, dkp kernel dated 3/20/2014 and TWRP v2.7.0.0.