[UPDATE 06/07/2010][APP][SOURCE]Wallpaper Changer - WaPaC 1.4

Search This thread

Rapid81

Dec 17, 2009
Wallpaper Changer - WaPaC 1.4
Created by Rapid

Now OpenSource (see the bottom of this post)​

Because I don't have time to develop this application further and the current state of the program is fine for my use, I share the WaPaC's source by the community now.

A few terms, what you need to consider, before you use the source and consider to develop it in the future:
  1. The WaPaC name needs to stay as it is, or if not and you use the source code, you need to mention it!
  2. You need to mention my name, as the original developer of this program and where are the sources came from
  3. You need to mention mohitsapru's name, as the developer of the scheduler component
  4. I need a PM (or email) about the releases where you used the source or the release of a new WaPaC version
  5. The future versions needs to be Windows Mobile version and Resolution free a.k.a. needs to work on every WinMo versions (5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.5, 6.5.X) and all resolutions!

I created a wallpaper changer application (WaPaC), to the scheduled wallpaper changing on WM's Today and on Sense. Tested on Samsung Omnia 2 with Sense 2.5 and everything is working fine.

The program is not a beta anymore, but still under development and may contains some bugs.

Changes in 1.4
  • No maximum files number anymore (maximum folders number is still 100)
  • A "Change NOW interface" added to select the needed UI to the change
  • Now the settings app shows the next time of the schedule
  • Random and continuously change setting added (you'll see randomizing popup window sometimes)
  • Intervals minimum set low to 1 minute with 1 minute steps
  • Besides the interval, now you can change the wallpapers at a specific time, like 8:00AM every day
  • The "back to the previous wallpaper" function is added and accessible with the "-prev" parameter and will change all choosen UI's wallpapers back to the previous one (not 100% if you use more than 1 directory for wallpapers storing).
  • The installer creates a "Change Now" and "Previous wallpaper" shortcut
  • Because I cannot create a setup.dll, the additional shortcuts is downloadable from the bottom of this post, but you need to edit the files, if you're not install the app to the device.
  • Several minor and major bugfixes

Changes in 1.3
  • The program is now compatible with CHT 1.8.X. You can change the wallpaper of the Home tab, All tab and CHT Lockscreen.
  • When you plug your phone to USB with Mass Storage settings, and the needed folder is not available to the WaPaC (or you deleted a selected folder), the app not crash.
  • Context menu added to the Selected Folders list to remove folders (if the folder is not available anymore, etc.)
  • The application is pops up a warning in the case you not select any UI, when you want to save the settings (not when you uncheck all).

Changes in 1.21
  • The folder changing bug fixed (when you tap on a folder and jumped to an other in the selected one)

Changes in 1.2
  • Redesigned interface
  • Separated setting for "Change on Windows start" (If you have an earlier version installed, then you need to uncheck and save, then recheck and save the "Start with Windows" option, because the shortcut contents is changed)
  • You can choose Minutes or Hours format at Interval settings
  • Interval changed to 5-1440 minutes or 1 to 24 hours
  • "Change NOW" button added
  • "Change only in idle state" option added (This means, if you're using the phone (the backlight is on) in the time when the scheduled change comes, the changing is delayed)
  • Maximum selectable folder number is 100

Changes in 1.1ß
- Folderselection is now free
- Maximum picture number changed to 10000/folder
- No need to refresh the list when you put new pictures in a selected folder
- Selected folders list stored and displayed after start and easy to modify.
- You can add a folder to the selected folders list by checking the checkbox near the folder's name. You can remove by the same method.
The program's not listing the directories with the following names:
- Windows
- Program Files
- Application data
- ConnMgr
- Documents and Settings
- Temp

Changes in 1.03ß (1.02 skipped, because some real trouble):
- S2U2 background change added (not tested)
- Settings saving corrected (HKCU\Software\WaPaC\)
- Interval steps changed to 5 mins
- Settings application supports all resolutions (tested on VGA, QVGA, WQVGA, WVGA, Square)

Changes in 1.01ß
- Start with Windows option problem fixed
- Clear Sense Background option added

Features:

- maximum 10000 pictures from multiple folders
- changeable interval from 10 to 720 minutes (12 hours)
- chooseable user interface to change background (Today and Sense)
- same wallpaper for the 2 UI or not :)
- start with Windows possibility
- not use memory at all, the changing starts with schedule and then quit
- separate settings application (only WVGA resolution supported yet)
- you can start/stop the scheduling in the settings app

Special thanx:
mohitsapru for his help

It is possible the program is working on other Sense, Manila or TouchFlo versions than Sense 2.5, if the wallpaper stored in the same place.

If you want to test it, download the cab and please give me some feedback and ideas, if you have any, to improve the app.

Download
If you appriciate my work, don't forget to buy me a beer...
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=10789299

Big thanx to who's appriciated my work 'till now!
  • 5€ Matthiew Marks
  • 7€ donwhann
  • 5€ Joao Costa
  • 5€ Naga01

Attachments

• Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,714
  • WaPaC_Source.zip
    393.5 KB · Views: 1,214
Last edited:
Reactions: explorer2612

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento
Thanks, gonna try on VGA - WM 6.5.5 - Sense 2.5.2012 and report back! ;)

ps. why don't you attach the program here, too?

ed_sambo

Nov 16, 2008
Hi Rapid81
This looks a great little app.
I have just tested it and unfortunately I get an "IndexOutOfRangeException" error when I hit the Load folder's list button. It starts to look at my whole sd card and then bombs out with that error.
Maybe adding the option to choose the folder without indexing the whole card is the way to go.
I am running this on a Touch HD with Energy 16 May 23569 CHT ROM.
Hope this helps.
Look forward to testing the next release.

Last edited:

Rapid81

Dec 17, 2009
Thanks, gonna try on VGA - WM 6.5.5 - Sense 2.5.2012 and report back! ;)

ps. why don't you attach the program here, too?

1.03 version uploaded. Now the settings app supports all resolutions.

Hi Rapid81
This looks a great little app.
I have just tested it and unfortunately I get an "IndexOutOfRangeException" error when I hit the Load folder's list button. It starts to look at my whole sd card and then bombs out with that error.
Maybe adding the option to choose the folder without indexing the whole card is the way to go.
I am running this on a Touch HD with Energy 16 May 23569 CHT ROM.
Hope this helps.
Look forward to testing the next release.

I need to look through the whole system, because no SelectFolderDialog in NETCF. Maybe more than 100 folders contains pictures. I rised this number to 1000 in 1.03.

Last edited:

Gryphyn

Sep 10, 2009
I've been waiting and hoping for a new wallpaper changer since antworks doesn't seem to change the today screen without locking up after a while. Glad to see yours has S2U2 changing and Sense as well.

I'm also getting the same error when it tries to load all the folders, and would agree that rather than try to index all the wallpaper, just allow the user to choose the folder. I have a 16Gig sd card, so it takes a lonnnng time to try to index that if I ever want to make a change.

Keep up the good work!

The biggest suggestion I have is a problem I have with other wallpaper changers. If the phone has been in standby when the wallpaper changed, when you power it on it takes 5-10 seconds to come on because it is loading the wallpaper. If there was some way to refresh the wallpaper beforehand so it would just power on instantly, that would be awesome.

S2U2's own wallpaper changing appears to not change while the phone is in standby. That's pretty cool too because it saves battery, plus fewer things running that might cause an error, say in the middle of the night, which = no alarm in the morning.

I tried to write my own wallpaper changing script with mortscript, but was never able to get it to be stable, so I appreciate what you're doing very much.

Rapid81

Dec 17, 2009
I've been waiting and hoping for a new wallpaper changer since antworks doesn't seem to change the today screen without locking up after a while. Glad to see yours has S2U2 changing and Sense as well.

I'm also getting the same error when it tries to load all the folders, and would agree that rather than try to index all the wallpaper, just allow the user to choose the folder. I have a 16Gig sd card, so it takes a lonnnng time to try to index that if I ever want to make a change.

Keep up the good work!

The biggest suggestion I have is a problem I have with other wallpaper changers. If the phone has been in standby when the wallpaper changed, when you power it on it takes 5-10 seconds to come on because it is loading the wallpaper. If there was some way to refresh the wallpaper beforehand so it would just power on instantly, that would be awesome.

S2U2's own wallpaper changing appears to not change while the phone is in standby. That's pretty cool too because it saves battery, plus fewer things running that might cause an error, say in the middle of the night, which = no alarm in the morning.

I tried to write my own wallpaper changing script with mortscript, but was never able to get it to be stable, so I appreciate what you're doing very much.

My problem is, there is no SelectFolderDialog in NETCF. That's why the application runs through the storage. If I'm creating a SelectFolderDialog instead of this method, you'll select only one folder and no subfolders o more separated folder. I'll try to came up with a workable idea, but I'm not making any promises. :)
This app change the wallpaper when the phone is in sleep mode. The phone does not came alive, just change the wallpaper in the backgound. You can't see anything about it, just the new wallpapers when you unclock your phone.

Rapid81

Dec 17, 2009
I guess I solved this "I want to select the directories on my own" and "why the apps runs through the whole system" problems. :D

Now you have a "file explorer"-like thing and a second list where is the app stores the selected directories. The directories stays checked and reloaded on settings app restarts.

Still testing, but if I'll not found problems, I'll upload it soon.
The solution is not 100% finger-friendly...

Something like this: :D

Gryphyn

Sep 10, 2009
Been testing it this afternoon. The folder selection is very helpful, I can get it to run now.

It appears to change the wallpaper in all 3 places (S2U2, today, sense) just fine. I've noticed though that the spinning "busy" icon starts up and keeps going and going until I do something like click a tab. Then it pauses for a bit and makes the switch. When the phone has been in standby and I power it on, S2U2 will have the "busy" icon on its screen and will wait until I unlock into Sense to make the change.

I did have a couple instances of it freezing up, I thought this might be due to trying to change the Today background, since Antworks autowallpaperchanger would do something similar. It wouldn't freeze all the time, just some of the time, and I would have to not change the today wallpaper to fix that.

808Granato

Apr 12, 2010
Hawaii
Not even sure what started this problem, I did so many different things to get wallpapers I confused myself, now I dont know wich is causing problem. Can you help?
was getting errors when restarted phone about WaPac so I removed the app and soft reset etc. Now I get following message....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The file "WaPac cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or onew of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file.
>>>>>>>>

So I reinstalled, same problem, removed same message...
Any ideas, I guess Im not completely removing all I need to???
Not even sure what started this problem, I did so many different things to get wallpapers I confused myself, now I dont know wich is causing problem. Can you help?
was getting errors when restarted phone about WaPac so I removed the app and soft reset etc. Now I get following message....(also trying to get a good 'screenshot' program so I can show you easier, but had probs with bsbtweaks install also-another day/thread for that!)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The file "WaPac cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or onew of its components cannot be found. If the problem persists, try reinstalling or restoring this file.
>>>>>>>>

recap-ive got cookies home tab, cookies hdwall patch, HDWalls, sdkcertsnew.cab.

Rapid81

Dec 17, 2009
was getting errors when restarted phone about WaPac so I removed the app and soft reset etc. Now I get following message....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>

was getting errors when restarted phone about WaPac so I removed the app and soft reset etc. Now I get following message....(also trying to get a good 'screenshot' program so I can show you easier, but had probs with bsbtweaks install also-another day/thread for that!)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>

recap-ive got cookies home tab, cookies hdwall patch, HDWalls, sdkcertsnew.cab.

If you checked the "Start with Windows", then you have a WaPaC.lnk in the \Windows\StartUp. That's all. And I recommend you to stop the scheduling before you remove the app.

Gryphyn

Sep 10, 2009
Been testing without S2U2 just to have fewer things running.

When the phone is awake, if the scheduled change begins to run it won't finish until you force a screen refresh by hitting the windows button or something like that. It just sits and thinks forever with the spinning icon on the screen.

Are there any executable modifiers such as "-now" to open the program and force a screen change immediately? It would be great to be able to make a shortcut to switch the screen on command.

Rapid81

Dec 17, 2009
Been testing without S2U2 just to have fewer things running.

When the phone is awake, if the scheduled change begins to run it won't finish until you force a screen refresh by hitting the windows button or something like that. It just sits and thinks forever with the spinning icon on the screen.

Are there any executable modifiers such as "-now" to open the program and force a screen change immediately? It would be great to be able to make a shortcut to switch the screen on command.

If you checked the "Start with Windows", then you have a WaPaC.lnk in the \Windows\StartUp folder. You can use that to change immediately.

808Granato

Apr 12, 2010
Hawaii
thank you-easily fixed

wow. welcome to computers 101. sorry for all the hub-bub. I will take it slower so I can better tell my 'issues'.

Will also keep checking back on this app-sounds great, Im just not the right person to be dealing with beta and giving anyone feedback yet.

Gryphyn

Sep 10, 2009
Thanks for the link info.

Okay, so it doesn't seem to like switching the today wallpaper, which antworks didn't either. It tends to lock up from time to time if I ask it to change the today screen. Any idea why this is? Like I said, antworks changer behaves the same way. I can't figure it out.

I'm running WM 6.5 stock Sprint rom with Goodthings2life's tweaks. Sense 2.5. Touch Pro 2.

Rapid81

Dec 17, 2009
Thanks for the link info.

Okay, so it doesn't seem to like switching the today wallpaper, which antworks didn't either. It tends to lock up from time to time if I ask it to change the today screen. Any idea why this is? Like I said, antworks changer behaves the same way. I can't figure it out.

I'm running WM 6.5 stock Sprint rom with Goodthings2life's tweaks. Sense 2.5. Touch Pro 2.

What UI do you use? When I alphatested the app, and I not used any UI, the background not refreshed, just after a program open and close. I cannot figured out a way to refresh the empty today right now, but I'm looking for it. But when I used Sense or Windows Default, the Today, Start Menu and Lockscreen changed properly.

Gryphyn

Sep 10, 2009
What UI do you use? When I alphatested the app, and I not used any UI, the background not refreshed, just after a program open and close. I cannot figured out a way to refresh the empty today right now, but I'm looking for it. But when I used Sense or Windows Default, the Today, Start Menu and Lockscreen changed properly.

Just using Sense UI 2.5. It is weird because it doesn't lock up the phone every single time, just some of the time. I don't have the weather animations going, don't have animated wallpaper. No start menu/lock screen modifications, all stock.

I'm not using S2U2 right now as I test this, but it would change just fine, Sense would change just fine, it is only the today/lockscreen that causes a problem. It seems to be something about the refresh, because the phone would lock up before the screen changed, but after rebooting the wallpaper would have changed. So, I know it isn't the copying of the files, that is being completed.

EDIT> Think I just figured out the problem, after reading this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=600892&page=4

It most likely is a file extension issue, which is why it works sometimes and doesn't work other times. It works until the random function hits a file that is the wrong extension and locks up. Although, that doesn't explain why the images are there once I reboot. Anyway, I'll test by splitting the file types.

EDIT 2> Well, hosed there. All my files are jpegs.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wallpaper Changer - WaPaC 1.4
    Created by Rapid

Now OpenSource (see the bottom of this post)​

Because I don't have time to develop this application further and the current state of the program is fine for my use, I share the WaPaC's source by the community now.

A few terms, what you need to consider, before you use the source and consider to develop it in the future:
    1. The WaPaC name needs to stay as it is, or if not and you use the source code, you need to mention it!
    2. You need to mention my name, as the original developer of this program and where are the sources came from
    3. You need to mention mohitsapru's name, as the developer of the scheduler component
    4. I need a PM (or email) about the releases where you used the source or the release of a new WaPaC version
    5. The future versions needs to be Windows Mobile version and Resolution free a.k.a. needs to work on every WinMo versions (5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.5, 6.5.X) and all resolutions!

I created a wallpaper changer application (WaPaC), to the scheduled wallpaper changing on WM's Today and on Sense. Tested on Samsung Omnia 2 with Sense 2.5 and everything is working fine.

The program is not a beta anymore, but still under development and may contains some bugs.

Changes in 1.4
    • No maximum files number anymore (maximum folders number is still 100)
    • A "Change NOW interface" added to select the needed UI to the change
    • Now the settings app shows the next time of the schedule
    • Random and continuously change setting added (you'll see randomizing popup window sometimes)
    • Intervals minimum set low to 1 minute with 1 minute steps
    • Besides the interval, now you can change the wallpapers at a specific time, like 8:00AM every day
    • The "back to the previous wallpaper" function is added and accessible with the "-prev" parameter and will change all choosen UI's wallpapers back to the previous one (not 100% if you use more than 1 directory for wallpapers storing).
    • The installer creates a "Change Now" and "Previous wallpaper" shortcut
    • Because I cannot create a setup.dll, the additional shortcuts is downloadable from the bottom of this post, but you need to edit the files, if you're not install the app to the device.
    • Several minor and major bugfixes

Changes in 1.3
    • The program is now compatible with CHT 1.8.X. You can change the wallpaper of the Home tab, All tab and CHT Lockscreen.
    • When you plug your phone to USB with Mass Storage settings, and the needed folder is not available to the WaPaC (or you deleted a selected folder), the app not crash.
    • Context menu added to the Selected Folders list to remove folders (if the folder is not available anymore, etc.)
    • The application is pops up a warning in the case you not select any UI, when you want to save the settings (not when you uncheck all).

Changes in 1.21
    • The folder changing bug fixed (when you tap on a folder and jumped to an other in the selected one)

Changes in 1.2
    • Redesigned interface
    • Separated setting for "Change on Windows start" (If you have an earlier version installed, then you need to uncheck and save, then recheck and save the "Start with Windows" option, because the shortcut contents is changed)
    • You can choose Minutes or Hours format at Interval settings
    • Interval changed to 5-1440 minutes or 1 to 24 hours
    • "Change NOW" button added
    • "Change only in idle state" option added (This means, if you're using the phone (the backlight is on) in the time when the scheduled change comes, the changing is delayed)
    • Maximum selectable folder number is 100

Changes in 1.1ß
    - Folderselection is now free
    - Maximum picture number changed to 10000/folder
    - No need to refresh the list when you put new pictures in a selected folder
    - Selected folders list stored and displayed after start and easy to modify.
    - You can add a folder to the selected folders list by checking the checkbox near the folder's name. You can remove by the same method.
    The program's not listing the directories with the following names:
    - Windows
    - Program Files
    - Application data
    - ConnMgr
    - Documents and Settings
    - Temp

Changes in 1.03ß (1.02 skipped, because some real trouble):
    - S2U2 background change added (not tested)
    - Settings saving corrected (HKCU\Software\WaPaC\)
    - Interval steps changed to 5 mins
    - Settings application supports all resolutions (tested on VGA, QVGA, WQVGA, WVGA, Square)

Changes in 1.01ß
    - Start with Windows option problem fixed
    - Clear Sense Background option added

Features:

- maximum 10000 pictures from multiple folders
    - changeable interval from 10 to 720 minutes (12 hours)
    - chooseable user interface to change background (Today and Sense)
    - same wallpaper for the 2 UI or not :)
    - start with Windows possibility
    - not use memory at all, the changing starts with schedule and then quit
    - separate settings application (only WVGA resolution supported yet)
    - you can start/stop the scheduling in the settings app

Special thanx:
    mohitsapru for his help

It is possible the program is working on other Sense, Manila or TouchFlo versions than Sense 2.5, if the wallpaper stored in the same place.

If you want to test it, download the cab and please give me some feedback and ideas, if you have any, to improve the app.

Download
    If you appriciate my work, don't forget to buy me a beer...
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=10789299

Big thanx to who's appriciated my work 'till now!
    • 5€ Matthiew Marks
    • 7€ donwhann
    • 5€ Joao Costa
    • 5€ Naga01