IPhone changer incompatibilities

Search This thread

thedan55

Aug 23, 2009
Just tried to use an iPhone masons charged to charge my phone and saw a problem.

The phone charges as fast as I can see but the problem is the phone lags like hell so I just unplugged it.

Should it not Just work?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Tiersten

Aug 5, 2010
There is a USB battery charging specification that basically says how the charger is supposed to indicate to the device how much current it is allowed to draw. They don't do the regular USB negotiation as that would cost more.

iPhones/iPods don't follow that spec. They do their own thing and I guess the One X doesn't like it. I've had non Apple devices that refused to charge off an Apple charger whilst other devices just don't care.

mickfitz

Oct 3, 2011
I've charged my one x with a gs2 charger and even a blackberry 9800 charger works.

That alone would have apple suing.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

cyben76

Apr 13, 2006
Best is if you want to charge using charger other then the original one provided, go with something with lower current output. If your original HTC charger charge at 1000mA, then go with something with lower or exactly same output, ie 500-900mA.

If i'm not wrong normal USB port of PC outputs 500mA, you can charge with higher output, it charges faster but it will affect the battery lifespan. But charging with output that is too high, ie 2000mA might kill the battery, cause it to explode or even worse affects the circuitry of the phone.

General rule for lipo safe charging max charge current equals to battery capacity.. So HOX batt is 1800mAh, so max current should be 1800mA/1.8A. Anything above that is not good for the batt..

Most phone use lithium polymer or lithiun ion battery.. Risk of explosion is always there with these kinds of batteries and LiPo explosions are pretty scarry..

Last edited:

thedan55

Aug 23, 2009
Thanks for all the info lads. As far as I know hox charger and iPhone are both 5v 1a (1000ma)

I really hope wish pray beg that the battery life improves with the software updates and that some company any company come out with a case that had a battery like they have for the iPhone's

Battery life Is rough on the hox.

cyben76

Apr 13, 2006
Thanks for all the info lads. As far as I know hox charger and iPhone are both 5v 1a (1000ma)

I really hope wish pray beg that the battery life improves with the software updates and that some company any company come out with a case that had a battery like they have for the iPhone's

Battery life Is rough on the hox.

I hear u, even after the 1.28 OTA batt life about the same eventhough phone runs much cooler now IMO.

I just carry around a portable power pack with me.. Extra 5000mAh in my pocket, will give me nearly 2 full charge.. I prefer power packs to battery cases, cos when i change phone i still can use them..

I'm using this one, one of the cheapest i can find locally..
Fesv-i5000a.jpg

Last edited:

thedan55

Aug 23, 2009
Yeah I agree with you there. I keep telling myself once the updates kick in and development really gets underway well definitely see better results but still bugs me. See that's what I do but my current external battery is 12000 and kinda big to carry around with me unless I have like a bag or man bag or something.

I absolutely love this phone and android but I really need better batterey life. And according to the developers here once nvidia improve the drivers for tegra 3 the power management should be allot better. Here's hoping. I am jealous of all the accessories iPhone has though. Although android is getting there now

cyben76

Apr 13, 2006
Yeah I agree with you there. I keep telling myself once the updates kick in and development really gets underway well definitely see better results but still bugs me. See that's what I do but my current external battery is 12000 and kinda big to carry around with me unless I have like a bag or man bag or something.

I absolutely love this phone and android but I really need better batterey life. And according to the developers here once nvidia improve the drivers for tegra 3 the power management should be allot better. Here's hoping. I am jealous of all the accessories iPhone has though. Although android is getting there now

Easier for manufacturer to concentrate on making money on iphone, thy only have one design for every iphone model..

For Android, manufacturers cant predict which brand and model would make money... They can't possibly make every case for every android device there are simply too many...

Even worse for me in Singapore, retailers are afraid to bring in accessories for anything other then iPhone, so i would have to order from overseas most of the time.

thedan55

Aug 23, 2009
Oh man that's harsh. At least here in the UK I can order online. That's the only advantage iPhone has.

rikardo1979

Jan 29, 2009
Poole, UK
I using the iPhone USB plug charger with Kindle USB cable and it works just fine ;) also in work I using the iPhone USB plug charger with USB cable from my Nexus S - charging,no laggs or any other issues at all
Im not an iFann but I have a few of these chargers for free so why not to use it :)

:cool:

Gibeon

Sep 26, 2008
Best is if you want to charge using charger other then the original one provided, go with something with lower current output. If your original HTC charger charge at 1000mA, then go with something with lower or exactly same output, ie 500-900mA.

If i'm not wrong normal USB port of PC outputs 500mA, you can charge with higher output, it charges faster but it will affect the battery lifespan. But charging with output that is too high, ie 2000mA might kill the battery, cause it to explode or even worse affects the circuitry of the phone.
No offense. But this is just b*ll****. Some chargers are able to provide 2000mA, but it's the phone charging circuit which controls the actual current. You can't kill a battery with a charger that has a high current rating. That's a basic rule of electricity. :)

thedan55

Aug 23, 2009
No offense. But this is just b*ll****. Some chargers are able to provide 2000mA, but it's the phone charging circuit which controls the actual current. You can't kill a battery with a charger that has a high current rating. That's a basic rule of electricity. :)

Technically you can burn out the circuit with over charging. Maybe not too many devices but it's a general rule be wary of

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Dave Trouser

Feb 21, 2010
Technically you can burn out the circuit with over charging. Maybe not too many devices but it's a general rule be wary of

No you can't. As has been stated - the circuit in the One X battery controls the charging current, regardless of the charger's ability to supply a higher current.

If your charger can supply 2000mA, the One X will still only ever take 1000mA at most.

That said - if you buy chargers meant for the iPhone/iPad, they do not adhere to the USB charging spec, so the One X will only charge at a maximum of 400-450mA (in case it's plugged into a real USB port which is rated at 500mA max).

The difference between an "iPhone" charger and a "proper" one is this:

The D+ and D- lines should be shorted together on a "Proper" charger (like the one that comes with the One X or any HTC) - on an iPhone charger, the lines are not shorted. When the HTC phone sees this, it will limit its charging to 400mA.
This is why your phone will charge more slowly from a PC or non-compliant charger.

However, the screen and phone-on-state demands more than 400mA, so you will find that an HTC phone will actually drain when used for Sat-Nav in a car if you do not use an official HTC charger, or other compliant charger. Most generic ones are meant for iPhones and do not have the data lines shorted.

So, just so you are clear:

You cannot damage your One X by using a charger that is rated to a higher current - eg 2000mA.
The only way you might damage it is by using a charger that supplies more than 5V (lots more - there is over-voltage protection). But good luck finding a USB charger that does that.

Reactions: rikardo1979

rikardo1979

Jan 29, 2009
Poole, UK
+1 for this
Great explanation m8 ;)
:cool:

No you can't. As has been stated - the circuit in the One X battery controls the charging current, regardless of the charger's ability to supply a higher current.

If your charger can supply 2000mA, the One X will still only ever take 1000mA at most.

That said - if you buy chargers meant for the iPhone/iPad, they do not adhere to the USB charging spec, so the One X will only charge at a maximum of 400-450mA (in case it's plugged into a real USB port which is rated at 500mA max).

The D+ and D- lines should be shorted together on a "Proper" charger (like the one that comes with the One X or any HTC) - on an iPhone charger, the lines are not shorted. When the HTC phone sees this, it will limit its charging to 400mA.
This is why your phone will charge more slowly from a PC or non-compliant charger.

However, the screen and phone-on-state demands more than 400mA, so you will find that an HTC phone will actually drain when used for Sat-Nav in a car if you do not use an official HTC charger, or other compliant charger. Most generic ones are meant for iPhones and do not have the data lines shorted.

You cannot damage your One X by using a charger that is rated to a higher current - eg 2000mA.
The only way you might damage it is by using a charger that supplies more than 5V (lots more - there is over-voltage protection). But good luck finding a USB charger that does that.

cyben76

Apr 13, 2006
Then explain to me why for lithium polymer batteries manufacturer only recommend 1C as max? I'm not saying phone battery only but lithium polymer batteries in general. I've been charging many other lipo batts and none of the batts recommend anything above 1C.

if lithium polymer batteries can accept higher current then why does the original charger come with such low current for charging. They might as well give us highest current output for faster charging time.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Last edited:

knoobie

May 12, 2011
Then explain to me why for lithium polymer batteries manufacturer only recommend 1C as max? I'm not saying phone battery only but lithium polymer batteries in general. I've been charging many other lipo batts and none of the batts recommend anything above 1C.

if lithium polymer batteries can accept higher current then why does the original charger come with such low current for charging. They might as well give us highest current output for faster charging time.

Not saying you're wrong. But I remember I studied somewhere before that the lower the charge, the more stable it is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

General rule for lipo safe charging max charge current equals to battery capacity.. So HOX batt is 1800mAh, so max current should be 1800mA/1.8A. Anything above that is not good for the batt..

Most phone use lithium polymer or lithiun ion battery.. Risk of explosion is always there with these kinds of batteries and LiPo explosions are pretty scarry..