[REF][ROOT][SOLVED] Motorola Defy XT555C on 2.3.7 build 67d

Search This thread

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
DISCLAIMER: I NOR ANY ONE ELSE ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR DEVICE.
THIS DID WORK FOR MY STRAITTALK XT555C USING .67D FIRMWARE. ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!

update
I am rooted thanks to rootdefyxt320.... its a funny process as it seems i got an asian version of the
app but it worked flawlessly. after poking around to guess the right button to click the device restarted and (pc-win7)
showed asian language and big bold letters showed xt555c. clicked green buttonto "close" and unplugged device. i got a version
of what looked like su.apk in an asian language. then get supersu from market to "replace su app" (in super su settings)
reboot asian su gone and now need to move supersu to system app then all good!
status of su proven by:

terminal emulator ($ + SU = #)
for safety reasons you can know all went well by typing:
$ su
# reboot
if the device reboots then you are good as power off is not a su command but reboot option is

titanium backup "status on splash screen confirmed su access" "removed facebook app" can some one upload the
non-updated face book app so i can put it back and get a full blown firmware back up. as i had to confirm this working
the quickes thing i could think of to verify was dumping facebook app

busy box "confirmed su is installed and busy box did update sucessfully"

supersu "kept disappearing, used link2sd to move superuser to system fixed this" During this time i still had su access
but with the "lack" of supersu it would not prompt me for su access but would grant access automatically.
dont know why but supersu would not show in titanium untill i did this.

I just have to say with so many things going on in life breaking my little phone from its cage has made me smile!
thanks again rootdefyxt320!

If this has helped you please scroll down and hit the "thanks" button for user rootdefyxt320 as i did. wish they had a thanks a million button

Attachments

• log.txt
    432.3 KB · Views: 277
  • device-2013-08-04-115907.jpg
    device-2013-08-04-115907.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 703
  • device-2013-08-04-115929.jpg
    device-2013-08-04-115929.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 546
  • device-2013-08-04-120000.jpg
    device-2013-08-04-120000.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Reactions: VyKng

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
ORIGINAL POST:

PREVIOUSE POST AND POSSIBLY DATED INFO FOLLOWS:
First off I am requesting any developers help to figure this out, I want to thank in advance the
awesome devs and community of xda as im sure there is some one out there way more
knowledgeable than I willing to help. Simply put please educate me as im willing to learn what it
takes to complete this task sucessfully.

Hello, today I have a whole slew of questions about the Motorola Defy XT, XT555c to be exact.
It seems as though there are many different defy's out there and this on has the least amound
of development. I am attempting to get all the info in to one place as searching for this device
seems a bit messy. I will update this thread as info is found\refound and brought to my attention.
Enough of the mumbo jumbo, off to the good stuff...

Chances are if you arte reading this you already know that all the "normal" methods of rooting
android (z4root, super1click, Framaroot, republic wirless .apk root) does not work for this device with 2.3.7
as all known exploits had been "fixed" by motorola. This is the first device of about 20 android
devices that I havent been able to research and root! Im creating this post in hopes to grab the
attention of any developer willing to help.

My PC configurations:
windows 7 x64 & x86, moto drivers
ubuntu 12.04 x86 installed to and running from 16gb usb thumb drive, moto rules created a.k.a. drivers for linux
adb installed on all of the above systems

Device specifics:
model xt555c
android ver. 2.3.7
baseband ver. pcr
kernel ver. Apps_2.6.38.6-perf
build no. 1_67d_1014

NOTES:
*ubuntu stick was created soley for the root procetures for the xt555c
*I preferr to use ubuntu but if nesasary I have windows at my disposal
*both win and ubuntu speak to the device flawlessly (ADB)
*used adm to grab logcat @ boot (see attached)
*need to grab full backup of system software because you know how this sort of
thing goes. Any suggestions?
*this particular defy in question was apparently manufactured/released in 2012
*This particular defy XT555C is also called other model numbers on various sites.
It has become increasingly difficult to find out witch defy I hold in my hand due to
conflicting specs\models on various other sites. some are dualband and others not.
some do not have a front camera, some state 800mhz processor while others state 1ghz
but all are called "defy XT"

Questions I have currently are:
Is this device downgradeable? possible solution (use google translate) www.android-hilfe.de/2729429-post10.html
Are the firmwares from any other defys capable of running on this device?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827338
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1542956
**Zeroemd: "Also the only difference between xt555c and xt535 is the region and the CDMA for US and GSM for Asia"
If any one can confirm this then it may be possible to use other firmwares from other models of defy and simply
have issues to hammer out with the "modem/radio" . I remember from the early cyanogen days and the MT3G you could
flash any number of builds and combine those builds with different radio versions and get insanely different results but as
i remember it if you ended up with the wrong radio all else would work you simply would have bad/low cellular signal, lacking
3g/data or no signal at all.

Here is the terminal output that I get when attemting any thing that requires su\root:

reemo@reemo-jump:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
TBEN1238500049 device

reemo@reemo-jump:~$ sudo -s
[sudo] password for reemo:
bash: PATH=${/home/reemo/Desktop/android-sdk-linux/tools}:~/android-sdk-linux/tools: bad substitution
bash: PATH=${/home/reemo/Desktop/android-sdk-linux/tools}:~/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools: bad substitution
root@reemo-jump:~# adb shell
$ adb reboot
adb: permission denied
$

The info found at the following link has led me to feel the need to investigate the boot
process to resolve rooting method hints the boot-logcat
http://www.apriorit.com/our-company/dev-blog/255-android-rooting

The logcat from ADM taken from "phone off" to "fully booted @ lock screen" has been
attached along with screen shots of my device info
I am aware of the "bad substitution" error. due to laziness and sligh bad config Ive just been "cd"ing to the directory

more info to thumb through and organize at a later date
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Motorola_Defy#Rooting_DEFY.2B_Bootloader_v7

I have included pictures of my lense as I am colorblind, red green colorblind to be exact. ive showed the pictures on
line in hopes some one could tell me what color mine is... every one seems to tell me the lense is black. if any one
wants to look at these and tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

VyKng

Apr 20, 2009
Good Luck

I wish you good luck and thank you for trying to give this great little phone some well deserved attention.

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
I wish you good luck and thank you for trying to give this great little phone some well deserved attention.

I'm awaiting reply from one of the defy devs in hopes to get some one to help me make light of things. I was
reading that apparently gingerbreak has been patched on a lot of devices as it its a security vulnerability. There
are other people/devices with our dreaded "gingerbreak proof" issue. Either I/we figure it out, some one hears
our cries for help or its exploited for another device and ported to ours using other exploits not found to date.
Wish I had better news.

Developers please tell me if there its more info needed to start this rooting process. I'm sure finding testers
won't be an issue a time goes by people will lay there defys to the side along with Motorola for devices we can
do what we want with. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: VyKng

Zeroemd

Jul 23, 2013
Managua
I'm awaiting reply from one of the defy devs in hopes to get some one to help me make light of things. I was reading that apparently gingerbreak has been patched on a lot of devices as it its a security vulnerability. There are other people/devices with our dreaded "gingerbreak proof" issue. Either I/we figure it out, some one hears our cries for help or its exploited for another device and ported to ours using other exploits not found to date. Wish I had better news.

Developers please tell me if there its more info needed to start this rooting process. I'm sure finding testers won't be an issue a time goes by people will lay there defys to the side along with Motorola for devices we can do what we want with. Thanks in advance.

I have a green lens defy but I wish you get info you need as soon as possible. Have you tried Framaroot?

EDIT:Check This.it is from this thread, it may help you.

Last edited:

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
I have a green lens defy but I wish you get info you need as soon as possible. Have you tried Framaroot?

I'm partially color blind, red green to be exact so i have to find alternate ways
to find out which lense i have. as for framroot i jumped up and tried it and in seconds i get an error#5.
dev for that package of exploits states
"What means error# on result ?
All errors less or equal to 9 mean your device is not vulnerable"

Zeroemd

Jul 23, 2013
Managua
I'm partially color blind, red green to be exact so i have to find alternate ways
to find out which lense i have. as for framroot i jumped up and tried it and in seconds i get an error#5.
dev for that package of exploits states
"What means error# on result ?
All errors less or equal to 9 mean your device is not vulnerable"

I suggested it because it made rooting easier on complicated devices, (like a Droid pro with an Argentinian SBF, which requires ubuntu to root.)

Check the framaroot post maybe you will find something or try to contact its creator.

If i find anything I will PM you.

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
The Canadian XT615 Root Program

@reemobeens19 This Canadian XT615 Root program can root all Motorola Android Phones on Android 2.3.7 and it will install a Chinese SuperUser on your device.

How to check for root after using the root program. Please use cmd to type in these commands

Code:
adb shell

Code:
su

and it should give you a # sign in cmd.

After that you can update to another SuperUser program from the Play Store such as Superuser by ChainsDD, SuperSU by Chainfire or SuperUser by koush.

Reactions: reemobeens19

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
@reemobeens19 Does your Defy XT have fastboot mode? I'm going to help you to port CWM.

You can test it by typing this command in cmd

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

If your phone reboots normally means your phone doesn't have fastboot mode :(. If your phone gets stuck on a screen with the M logo then you have fastboot mode :D

Reactions: reemobeens19

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
@reemobeens19 Does your Defy XT have fastboot mode? I'm going to help you to port CWM.

You can test it by typing this command in cmd

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

If your phone reboots normally means your phone doesn't have fastboot mode :(. If your phone gets stuck on a screen with the M logo then you have fastboot mode :D

i do not have fast boot mode. got normal boot using the commands supplied
pwr+vol up gives me:
MBM Flash-mode.
Tinboost+ EVDO TRACFONE
version: 01.08
Bootloader USB Init SECURE BOOT ENABLED

bootloader right, not fastboot?

how can i obtain a full system back up including recovery and boot loader?
i would like to do this from the command as im using ubuntu for most of my work.
once i have the back up how then do i restore it back to the device in case of failure?

once again thank you very much for the well needed assistance

Last edited:

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
i do not have fast boot mode. got normal boot using the commands supplied
pwr+vol up gives me:
MBM Flash-mode.
Tinboost+ EVDO TRACFONE
version: 01.08
Bootloader USB Init SECURE BOOT ENABLED

bootloader right, not fastboot?

how can i obtain a full system back up including recovery and boot loader?
i would like to do this from the command as im using ubuntu for most of my work.
once i have the back up how then do i restore it back to the device in case of failure?

once again thank you very much for the well needed assistance

Yes, that is the bootloader. Use this tool to make a nandroid backup and restore nandroid backup http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25328650

Reactions: lbbmin1028

reemobeens19

Jan 27, 2008
Okay, I need help unlocking the bootloader. I don't really understand the instructions on the Motorola website. Thx!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Motorola only supports a few devices and the odds that this one will ever be supported
are slim as it is not a "main stream" device. One thing i hate messing with are
bootloaders. Im currenty awaiting proven methods my self before attempting to
heavily modify this device. ive been playing a lot with linux and have "broken" my pc
numerous times in the past few weeks trying to learn more about under the hood unix.
one thing i cant seem to "fix" rather than reinstall is the bootloader when its broken im
hoping it will help me better understand what is going on in side this little android. if there are proven methods
im willing to try them as i took the plunge and rooted. does any one have any advice for this?

Reactions: Nick_73

nerdmonger

Sep 25, 2013
I just bought a xt555c from straight talk and tried both the Asian and English programs posted on this thread but neither of them worked for me. At the risk of sounding dumb did I miss something. I turned on the phone, enabled USB debugging and clicked the green button. It recognized my device as an xt555c, said rooting. Then my phone rebooted and the program said try again... Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Thanks in advance.

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I just bought a xt555c from straight talk and tried both the Asian and English programs posted on this thread but neither of them worked for me. At the risk of sounding dumb did I miss something. I turned on the phone, enabled USB debugging and clicked the green button. It recognized my device as an xt555c, said rooting. Then my phone rebooted and the program said try again... Can anyone tell me where I went wrong? Thanks in advance.

Retry the process again.

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I've tried over a dozen times to no avail. My front camera has a
red lense if that makes a difference

Ok, first uninstall all Motorola Drivers the reinstall them

Download the zip file here: http://d-h.st/33x

Instructions:

1. Extract the zip file. I have included both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers.

2. Then uninstall all Motorola Drivers and reinstall them.

3. Then uninstall the VRoot program and reinstall the VRoot program.

4. Then retry the VRoot program and tell me your outcome.

Press the thanks button if I helped you instead of saying thanks :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm awaiting reply from one of the defy devs in hopes to get some one to help me make light of things. I was reading that apparently gingerbreak has been patched on a lot of devices as it its a security vulnerability. There are other people/devices with our dreaded "gingerbreak proof" issue. Either I/we figure it out, some one hears our cries for help or its exploited for another device and ported to ours using other exploits not found to date. Wish I had better news.

Developers please tell me if there its more info needed to start this rooting process. I'm sure finding testers won't be an issue a time goes by people will lay there defys to the side along with Motorola for devices we can do what we want with. Thanks in advance.

EDIT:Check This.it is from this thread, it may help you.
    DISCLAIMER: I NOR ANY ONE ELSE ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR DEVICE.
    THIS DID WORK FOR MY STRAITTALK XT555C USING .67D FIRMWARE. ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!

update
    I am rooted thanks to rootdefyxt320.... its a funny process as it seems i got an asian version of the
    app but it worked flawlessly. after poking around to guess the right button to click the device restarted and (pc-win7)
    showed asian language and big bold letters showed xt555c. clicked green buttonto "close" and unplugged device. i got a version
    of what looked like su.apk in an asian language. then get supersu from market to "replace su app" (in super su settings)
    reboot asian su gone and now need to move supersu to system app then all good!
    status of su proven by:

terminal emulator ($ + SU = #)
    for safety reasons you can know all went well by typing:
    $ su
    # reboot
    if the device reboots then you are good as power off is not a su command but reboot option is

titanium backup "status on splash screen confirmed su access" "removed facebook app" can some one upload the
    non-updated face book app so i can put it back and get a full blown firmware back up. as i had to confirm this working
    the quickes thing i could think of to verify was dumping facebook app

busy box "confirmed su is installed and busy box did update sucessfully"

supersu "kept disappearing, used link2sd to move superuser to system fixed this" During this time i still had su access
    but with the "lack" of supersu it would not prompt me for su access but would grant access automatically.
    dont know why but supersu would not show in titanium untill i did this.

I just have to say with so many things going on in life breaking my little phone from its cage has made me smile!
    thanks again rootdefyxt320!

If this has helped you please scroll down and hit the "thanks" button for user rootdefyxt320 as i did. wish they had a thanks a million button

I'm awaiting reply from one of the defy devs in hopes to get some one to help me make light of things. I was
    reading that apparently gingerbreak has been patched on a lot of devices as it its a security vulnerability. There
    are other people/devices with our dreaded "gingerbreak proof" issue. Either I/we figure it out, some one hears
    our cries for help or its exploited for another device and ported to ours using other exploits not found to date.
    Wish I had better news.

Developers please tell me if there its more info needed to start this rooting process. I'm sure finding testers
    won't be an issue a time goes by people will lay there defys to the side along with Motorola for devices we can
    do what we want with. Thanks in advance.
    @reemobeens19 Please do the Canadian XT615 Root Method to root your phone.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44058727&postcount=92

If you want the English version of the Canadian XT615 root program, refer to this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45212970&postcount=102
    The Canadian XT615 Root Program

@reemobeens19 This Canadian XT615 Root program can root all Motorola Android Phones on Android 2.3.7 and it will install a Chinese SuperUser on your device.

How to check for root after using the root program. Please use cmd to type in these commands

Code:
    adb shell

Code:
    su

and it should give you a # sign in cmd.

After that you can update to another SuperUser program from the Play Store such as Superuser by ChainsDD, SuperSU by Chainfire or SuperUser by koush.