New update and 5Ghz WiFi radio

Search This thread

mnlv

Feb 3, 2011
I have two fire TVs which I updated to the new firmware yesterday. One of the units cannot see my 5Ghz network after update.
I did factory reset and no change. Then I pushed the previous firmware and the problem solved. Updating again breaks the 5Ghz network. I think there is a new radio on the updated firmware that making the problem.

the strange thing is my other updated unit connects fine to the 5Ghz router.

Last edited:

bkdg100

Jan 21, 2012
wifi radio 5ghz

latest firmware and root , just checked my 5ghz is going just fine.

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
I have two fire TVs which I updated to the new firmware yesterday. One of the units cannot see my 5Ghz network after update.
I did factory reset and no change. Then I pushed the previous firmware and the problem solved. Updating again breaks the 5Ghz network. I think there is a new radio on the updated firmware that making the problem.

the strange thing is my other updated unit connects fine to the 5Ghz router.

We have to be a little careful because it would not be the first time a manufacturer makes a minor hardware release within a product line. It could explain the rollout. Not saying that's what happened but it might be interesting to install a sys info app and compare the drivers for the wifi.

mnlv

Feb 3, 2011
what app do u suggest for me to try?
I was playing with different options today. I was able to connect to 5GHz on the new firmware when I changed the channel on my router from 44 to 149. I don't have any interference on 44 and my other FTV is working with both channels on the new firmware. Is it possible I have a defective wifi hardware?

I bought both of my FTVs from staples one in store and the other online. so may be they are not from the same batch.

We have to be a little careful because it would not be the first time a manufacturer makes a minor hardware release within a product line. It could explain the rollout. Not saying that's what happened but it might be interesting to install a sys info app and compare the drivers for the wifi.

kairnage

Aug 17, 2011
I was playing with different options today. I was able to connect to 5GHz on the new firmware when I changed the channel on my router from 44 to 149. I don't have any interference on 44 and my other FTV is working with both channels on the new firmware. Is it possible I have a defective wifi hardware?

I bought both of my FTVs from staples one in store and the other online. so may be they are not from the same batch.

Yeah not seeing and problems connecting are two different things. Since it can see and connect I doubt there is any difference.. As far as the channel change working it could be interference. Do you have a 5.8ghz phone? They won't show on a wifi analyzer but but can interfere while your wifi still shows strong signal.

A simple test would be swap places between the two FTV and see if the problem follows the unit or is because of the location.

Reactions: roustabout

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011
I just got my fire TV yesterday and have heard about 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

I'm a noob btw. Why would I want to use 5 GHz

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011
Yeah. I'm aware of google, but this is supposed to be a community where members help one another out.

In the time it took you to create your played out link, you could have offered some real assistance.

I'm not mad though. I just hope your mother has your lunch ready by noon neck beard.

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
I just got my fire TV yesterday and have heard about 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

I'm a noob btw. Why would I want to use 5 GHz

Comcast, my ISP, will swear 2.4 is just as fast and it have broader range. The latter is true. But I've got speed tests to prove otherwise. 5ghz is stronger with much less interference. WiFi networks are a lot more complicated than people realize. If you ever try openwrt you'll see just what routers are capable of. Very interesting history that I only just got into last year.
As for the op. I have no idea if this is relevant but I rooted and installed cm 12 on my kfhd 7 from 2012 and switching my router channel from auto to 44 or 42 made 5ghz show up. But I've never had any issues with 5 GHz on aftv.

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011
My apologies. I saw the initial "let me google that for you" and thought awe hell, here we go with this played out bit. Thanks and I feel like a complete (can't find a donkey emoji)

You're still a neck beard though?

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Comcast, my ISP, will swear 2.4 is just as fast and it have broader range. The latter is true. But I've got speed tests to prove otherwise. 5ghz is stronger with much less interference. WiFi networks are a lot more complicated than people realize. If you ever try openwrt you'll see just what routers are capable of. Very interesting history that I only just got into last year.
As for the op. I have no idea if this is relevant but I rooted and installed cm 12 on my kfhd 7 from 2012 and switching my router channel from auto to 44 or 42 made 5ghz show up. But I've never had any issues with 5 GHz on aftv.

Funny you mention openwrt because my cousin was yakking about it the other day. I said I wanted to add a VPN to my ftv but apparently you're not able to unless you're rooted and I'm unable to you mine so that's how we got on that topic.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Actually this is what he was talking about.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Last edited:

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
My apologies. I saw the initial "let me google that for you" and thought awe hell, here we go with this played out bit. Thanks and I feel like a complete (can't find a donkey emoji)

You're still a neck beard though

LOL! That slang just went over my head! What is a "neck beard"? I assume its something I don't wanna be...
But, generally I don't like the just " Google it" answer. Everyone's aware of Google so why not just ignore rather than reply. On the other hand, there are some things you can't just condense into a reply. Such as the other day someone got mad when I wouldn't tell him how to block domains. Every router's different so its sort of an impossible question.
My pet peeve is when someone has a Kodi question that has nothing specifically to do with aftv or android. I'm not a dev and I consider myself lucky to be included in this community. I just get paranoid too many people will flood this site with questions that should be asked on other sites and the powers that be will restrict access to the general public. I'm guilty of it but now I tend to search then if it is android related, ask. That doesn't really apply to this thread. Its just something I've been thinking about lately and this seemed like as good a time as any for my $0.02.
But seriously...what's a neckbeard?

psycon

Dec 28, 2008
Happy you found your answer.
Sincerely,
10407389_980853141941049_4081921367531947598_n-680x907.jpg

Reactions: KLit75

hank3fan

Jul 17, 2011

LOL! That slang just went over my head! What is a "neck beard"? I assume its something I don't wanna be...
But, generally I don't like the just " Google it" answer. Everyone's aware of Google so why not just ignore rather than reply. On the other hand, there are some things you can't just condense into a reply. Such as the other day someone got mad when I wouldn't tell him how to block domains. Every router's different so its sort of an impossible question.
My pet peeve is when someone has a Kodi question that has nothing specifically to do with aftv or android. I'm not a dev and I consider myself lucky to be included in this community. I just get paranoid too many people will flood this site with questions that should be asked on other sites and the powers that be will restrict access to the general public. I'm guilty of it but now I tend to search then if it is android related, ask. That doesn't really apply to this thread. Its just something I've been thinking about lately and this seemed like as good a time as any for my $0.02.

Neck beard phrase for famous on YouTube I believe. Nobody wants to be one. I'm busy right now at work bit I'll try to post the urban dictionary mini later.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=neckbeard

Last edited:
Reactions: KLit75

KLit75

Jun 29, 2014
[/Actually this is what he was talking about.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index]

never tried dd-wrt but know its much more user friendly than openwrt. My router was actually on that page you linked Linksys wrt1900ac. Its only just getting support now but I did try a fork called mcwrt made specifically for it. TONS of features but a lot of it went over my head. And since I couldn't tweak much, the stock firmware was just as fast and more stable. But I'll do some homework once its fully incorporated into openwrt and a stable version is released.
If your router is supported by dd-wrt or tomato you might wanna look into it. I heard the ui is a lot more simplified and you'll most likely find some settings that bring out the best in your network. First, I'd make sure you know how to get back to stock before flashing it though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah not seeing and problems connecting are two different things. Since it can see and connect I doubt there is any difference.. As far as the channel change working it could be interference. Do you have a 5.8ghz phone? They won't show on a wifi analyzer but but can interfere while your wifi still shows strong signal.

A simple test would be swap places between the two FTV and see if the problem follows the unit or is because of the location.
    Sincerely,

Neck beard phrase for famous on YouTube I believe. Nobody wants to be one. I'm busy right now at work bit I'll try to post the urban dictionary mini later.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=neckbeard
    Sincerely,

@psycon,
    Not as happy as I thought ...But the path to enlightenment isn't without it's pot holes. And that pic is hard to shake.