Make a Video Out cable from your ear plugs.

Search This thread
Jul 29, 2008
Hamilton
If anyone is keen , or if you are like me and have a spare headset from another phone you can use the following diagram and cable colour code to make your own video out cable.

I have used the Raphael cable for this excercise as I like my old Hermes one better.

You will need:
One Red White and Yellow RCA Cable

Step One. Remove pin four from the extUSB plug. *note this can be tricky but is necessary to allow the device to recognise the cable as a TV out cable as opposed to a Headset cable. I used a needle to bend into the middle of the plug and then used a tiny micro screwdriver to bend backwards and forwards until it broke. Be careful not to damage any of the other contacts. Please see post 20 for an easier option that doesnot involve removing pin 4

Step Two. Cut cable as close to mic piece as possible and remove outside cover.

Step Three. Solder the following pairs of cables together using the following codes:

Video positive (Yellow RCA end) --> White pvc coated cable (extUSB end).

Video sheild (Yellow RCA end), --> blue copper cable (extUSB end).

Audio Left (White or Black RCA end) --> green copper cable (extUSB end).

Audio Right (Red RCA end) --> red copper cable (extUSB end).

Audio Sheild ( both Red and White or Black RCA end --> copper cable (extUSB end), * note the copper cable is the sheild wire that surounds all the coloured wires.

The last two colored copper wires

Step Four. wrap electrical tape around the solderd wires so that they do not touch any of the other contacts.

Step Five. Plug in and play.

Aanyone know if this cable works with HTC Touch HD?

thanks

I am unaware if this works with all devices as I only have a Raphael to test this on. If anyone does find that their device works with this cable let me know and I will post it with this post.

I think the device must have the TV out function cooked into the Rom or maybe there is a registry hack?

Current Compatable Device List

Raphael
Diamond

Last edited:

Daved+

May 25, 2008
Thanks for sharing this! I I will try to make one from a 3.5mm adapter.

i removed the pin 4 as stated in the picture but the cable is not recognized as a TV Out cable and no longer is recognized as a headser, i made sure i didnt damage any other pins besides the number 4.
another thing is that i only want video i dont care about audio does the TP sense that is conected or can i just solder the two wires required to get video?

excelente post BTW

EDIT:

Does the TV out only outputs certain content or can any content can be shown on the TV

i have a 7" monitor in my car and i wanted to use this monitor to display GARMIN as its bigger screen.

Last edited:

the_matrixx

Mar 23, 2005
Works great! Finally some use for the old, spare headphones and a/v cables I had laying around.

i imagine it would work on all htc devices that support tv out, but that is just a wild guess.

Jul 29, 2008
Hamilton
device compatability

Aanyone know if this cable works with HTC Touch HD?

thanks

I am unaware if this works with all devices as I only have a Raphael to test this on. If anyone does find that their device works with this cable let me know and I will post it with the first post.

I think the device must have the TV out function cooked into the Rom or maybe there is a registry hack?

mbg19

Sep 14, 2008
Hey i found my old vogue headphones,would this also work with the vogue headphones?

Jul 29, 2008
Hamilton
Hey i found my old vogue headphones,would this also work with the vogue headphones?

This will work with any mini USB plug that has internal contacts on both the bottom and the top (see Step One.JPG in first post). The colour of the wires may vary but I would imagine that there would be a standard colour code for all earplug cables made by HTC, however these may vary between companies.

Hope this helps. ;)

Last edited:

madmax3

Sep 13, 2007
FAIRFAX VA
I tryed this and it did not work for me so I went to Amozon.com and got the Ipod RCA jack didnt cost much at all. Clean look and dont wast the nice HTC ear plugs but I guess you guys are happy with it but now I need new ear plugs:(...

Mrcepan990

Nov 6, 2009
I didn't use HTC plugs at all, bought Creative ones + 1 pound adaptor and they are way better than stocks, so yes I'm happy about that mode I've done like.. 10 mins ago? ;)

Had some problems with all operation couse it was quite difficult to find right cables on photo that author attached (of course I really appreciate audible_paradigm work, all that mess was about different colors of my cables).

Anyway, it works veeery good and I'm one step closer to get this phone liked ;)

Ps. You don't have to remove 4 pin in usb cable guys, just install one of the .cabs attached in THIS topic - much easier x]

Big thanks!