[App] [2.1+] SwitchMe Multiple User Accounts - Securely Share Your Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

xd4d3v

Jun 18, 2009
To the Devs.

A Feature request.

Instead of selecting the profiles to unlock. you can just use a pin screen.
According to which PIN you enter it goes into one or another profile.
that way, the users of other profile "dont know" there are several profiles ;-)

Last edited:

ftgg99

Account currently disabled
Mar 20, 2010
Hi. A pin type switch screen theme is on our to do list. For now though you can use the legacy screen, it has an option not to auto complete profile names.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda premium

Jopeke

Oct 16, 2009
Any idea if SwitchMe will work on a rooted Medion Lifetab running Android 3.2 with 'Go Launcher EX' and stock ROM
I can't make a nandroid backup (is not possible on Medion Lifetab P9514)

thx Johan

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
I don't see why not. Do you have access to the stock recovery?

Jopeke

Oct 16, 2009
I don't see why not. Do you have access to the stock recovery?

It's possible to get into stock recovery
These are the options I have in recovery:
-reboot system now
-apply update from external storage
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition

jojolino

Jan 12, 2011
Hello,
I am using switchme since day 2 of the app, without any issue, and I like it a lot!

However, yesterday I applied last update from Asus on my transformer prime, and now I am locked out of it!
In fact when booting, I get android lockscreen, go through it, enter android. Then switchme logscreen kick in, and I am locked.
switchme logscreen doesn't show existing profiles anymore, and if I try to login, nothing happens...
So basically, I cannot use the slate anymore...
Anyway of fixing it? I don't know how to send log, as I cannot enter the tab...
Thanks,
Same for me... I don't know about the need to disable SwitchMe lockscreen before updating my ACER A200. Yesterday I installed a Kernel Update to OC the tablet. After applying the update.zip and a reboot I am locked out :mad:
I tried to root the device again with the supersimple root tool for the ACER A200 but nothing happen with the lockscreen... What can I do now?

Ok I have solved this by myself and I know what was wrong...
After the update I have tried many times to boot the device. One time superuser comes in front and I have done the biggest mistake... I have denied SwitchMe SU rights. That was because I never have worked directly with Superuser.apk and don't know what I done.
So after getting root back SwitchMe still can't get su rights.
I have fixed this with the adb shell
I found the fahrbot switchme apk and I renamed it. Then I rebooted my tablet and YEAH!!! I is back again. I gave Su rights to SwitchMe with the superuser apk, renamed the switchme apk to the original name and the known lockscreen comes back and I can unlock my device...happy now :)

Last edited:
BootManager is good, but its a very different kind of app. This is going in a different direction, more mainstream, more useful ultimately.

I was curious how exactly switching some data aspects would be more useful than being able to swap an entire build. I get the purpose, but being able to swap an entire build with custom system apps, settings, accounts, etc hardly seems less useful than having my "work" data profile separate from my "game" data profile. Really seems to be focused on a family device or people with split personalities. I guess having different roms for different purposes, I am curious what the motivation would be to go to profiles instead.

Holmes108

Sep 29, 2010
Toronto
I was curious how exactly switching some data aspects would be more useful than being able to swap an entire build. I get the purpose, but being able to swap an entire build with custom system apps, settings, accounts, etc hardly seems less useful than having my "work" data profile separate from my "game" data profile. Really seems to be focused on a family device or people with split personalities. I guess having different roms for different purposes, I am curious what the motivation would be to go to profiles instead.

As he said, I would think Profiles would be much more mainstream. I bet a majority of users would like profiles (not just a majority of XDA users, or geeks). Whereas I'd be willing to bet the amount of people wanting 2 different roms/builds would be tiny.

Would it be a cool tool? Sure, but I have serious doubts about the demand.

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Same for me... I don't know about the need to disable SwitchMe lockscreen before updating my ACER A200. Yesterday I installed a Kernel Update to OC the tablet. After applying the update.zip and a reboot I am locked out :mad:
I tried to root the device again with the supersimple root tool for the ACER A200 but nothing happen with the lockscreen... What can I do now?

Ok I have solved this by myself and I know what was wrong...
After the update I have tried many times to boot the device. One time superuser comes in front and I have done the biggest mistake... I have denied SwitchMe SU rights. That was because I never have worked directly with Superuser.apk and don't know what I done.
So after getting root back SwitchMe still can't get su rights.
I have fixed this with the adb shell
I found the fahrbot switchme apk and I renamed it. Then I rebooted my tablet and YEAH!!! I is back again. I gave Su rights to SwitchMe with the superuser apk, renamed the switchme apk to the original name and the known lockscreen comes back and I can unlock my device...happy now :)

Weve seen a lot of this sort of thing, especially when ics came out and google swapped the yes/noy button positions to no/yes.

Fun fun fun :)

As he said, I would think Profiles would be much more mainstream. I bet a majority of users would like profiles (not just a majority of XDA users, or geeks). Whereas I'd be willing to bet the amount of people wanting 2 different roms/builds would be tiny.

Would it be a cool tool? Sure, but I have serious doubts about the demand.

What he said, and what i said, theres already an app that does that in a hopelessly limited way. And thats how it will stay im afraid. If i could live in a perfect world, android would not be fragmented and sm would work for everyone flawlessly ;)

ftgg99

Mar 20, 2010
Anything else to report?

ggs2

Jan 2, 2012
not working on galaxy s2/westcrip 1.8(aokp b35)
no warning but reboots and stuck at boot logo :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SwitchMe - share your device!

SwitchMe is a unique application for root users that allows you to log in and out of multiple installations of Android just as you would on a desktop computer.

SwitchMe is a unique application for root users that allows you to log in and out of multiple user spaces just as you would on a desktop computer, with each profile having its own separate system settings, apps and data.

Some of the benefits of this technology:

Privacy
    Securely share one device among many users, protect your accounts with passwords and log out automatically.

Kids
    Create a profile for the kids, with only the apps and access you feel comfortable with.

Gaming
    Overclock your profile for maximum performance in intensive games

Speed
    Imagine a buttery smooth profile, with no kids games, messengers or bloatware to slow things down.

Testing
    Create a sandbox profile to easily test applications and themes - no more nandroid nightmares!

Battery
    Switch to a profile which only contains the essentials to save power through brute force.

Critical usage warning:

Incorrect use of this application can potentially harm your device. Before proceeding with use we strongly recommend that you perform a full nandroid backup through the device recovery.

READ THE HELP FILE CAREFULLY TO AVOID ISSUES

Without the Key, this application allows a maximum of 2 profiles and no security features.

Only the standard Android implementation of Apps2SD is currently supported. Use all others at your own risk.

Most devices should be compatible as long as they have enough free internal memory to create secondary profiles. The application will warn users if available memory is low.
    These of course are only suggestions - there are plenty of other uses for the functionality SwitchMe offers.

Market link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme

The free version allows the creation of two profiles and has no security features.

Screens:

Seems really amazing! but sounds risky, so I will wait for feedback from others. I just hope that the switching does not take up too much time or battery for that matter.

I just tried it on Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Tab 10.1 - it works amazingly!!! Now going to make a secret private profile for my double life ;)
    Adminitrator accounts
    Any profile on the device can be given elevated-privelage administrator rights. These accounts have the ability to wipe all profiles from the device, or delete individual profiles. An administrator however can not switch to other password-protected accounts, only remove them or grant them administrator permissions.

Once you have granted admin rights to a profile, the owner of that profile will have the same privilages as you. You can revoke these rights from the same menu in security settings.

Incompatibility errors
    These are usually caused by Superuser installations outside /system. If you find that this error occurs inside a newly created profile, go to the market and download the Superuser app and then go back into SwitchMe. You should now be able to switch back to your original profile.

These can also be used by erroneous A2SD links in your ROM. Try another if you need this app to work.

Custom Roms
    Most stock based roms work flawlessly, some custom ones do not. We know that MIUI currently has framework glitches. CM7 and CM9 are known to work well - tested on Xoom, Xoom 2, Galaxy Nexus, Transformer 101/201/301 and Galaxy Tab 7.7/8.9/10.1, Incredible S, Sensation, Iconia tabs, Nexus 7
    A general to do list from user feedback (not exclusive)

Must have
    Widget like in Call Master [done]
    Encryption
    Export profiles to SD
    Location aware (probably through Tasker)

Could use
    More detailed info
    App/data sharing
    Custom lockscreen

Would be nice
    Support for A2SD etc [done]
    Reserve space for profiles
    An update has been released and should be available for download in half an hour or so. Heres the gist:

- Fixed Superuser issue (please recreate all your profiles or install Superuser from the market in all previously created profiles if this issue affected you)
    - Fixed start up crash on some 2.1 and 2.2 devices
    - Fixed many device-specific bugs
    - Reworked UI (new profile selector, new details)
    - Added more warning screens
    - Added administrator account functionality
    - Added full profile wipe

Have there been many instances of this getting stuck in a bootloop and needing a restore? I'm a bit nervous about putting it on my Prime since it doesn't have CWM yet and there's a scary usage warning.

Boot loops should only affect devices with small memory cards (and people who disregard the automatic low-memory warning the app will show). You should be fine, there is after all a recovery of some kind on the device.

What's the process of "undoing" the multiple profiles if ever needs be? I was going to look on the dev site from the market, and it's dead. Thanks. :)

We are in the process of creating a new site. To remove the profiles, use the Wipe feature in the settings of todays release.

Do you know if this will work on the Xperia Play?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

I dont see why not.