I just screwed my phone and can't figure it out.

Search This thread

xagesz

Jun 3, 2014
HTC M8 AT&T

I have been dealing with this all morning and I am about to blow my brains out.

I thought i was running twrp but was instead running CWM.

Previously had Cyanogen Mod working fine on the phone no issue. Just wanted android instead

Tried to install Android Revolution from zip. Boom done. Reboot

Encryption. Try all 10 passwords i EVER use a couple hundred times it seems.

Fail. So i go back to CWM and try to reset phone to factoy. Gives me error "unknown volume for path /sd-ext/
error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!
Skipping Format
Data Wipe Complete

Boot up still asks for password try a hundred times again. Still nothing

Boot into fastboot to attempt to put TWRP on it. and no computer sees my phone in fastboot.

Any ideas how to save my phone?

dsmpampis

Oct 21, 2012
Do you a nandroid backup? You can restore your phone and try one more time.

Tapatalked with my "refrigerator look" HTC one M8

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Do you get the ding when connecting the phone and are running a command prompt from the folder with fastboot binary and required files?
What response does 'fastboot devices' give?

Last edited:

xagesz

Jun 3, 2014
Adb won't respond unless you sideload or boot Into os.

Check your usb cable, make sure it's the originals cable and you have fastboot drivers installed.

I tried sideloading a rom. but still encryption screen. and Fastboot has worked before because i used it to install cwm. BOot into it how?

xagesz

Jun 3, 2014
Adb won't respond unless you sideload or boot Into os.

Check your usb cable, make sure it's the original cable and you have fastboot drivers installed.

If you don't hear the ding then you either have a cable problem or a driver problem. Just re-install the drivers and check the cable
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

I am working this angle now but even so what do I need to do to save my phone

xagesz

Jun 3, 2014
From what I seen you going to need to format the sd. You can see if twrp will format it but if that don't work try stock recovery and do a factory reset in bootloader.

DARKNITES YOU ARE THE MAN. I send you a case a beer. Anyway... CWM menu down at the bottom is format data and media. never spotted this before and did that and the phone finally went around the darn encryption menu. THank you.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I am working this angle now but even so what do I need to do to save my phone
As said if you get fastboot working you can flash a custom recovery or stock. You can then download a stock nandroid back up from the stock backups thread then flash the required backup from custom recovery.
All explained in that thread.

xagesz

Jun 3, 2014
As said if you get fastboot working you can flash a custom recovery or stock. You can then download a stock nandroid back up from the stock backups thread then flash the required backup from custom recovery.
All explained in that thread.

Yeah. Fastboot was not working AT ALL. I tried and tried. But the issue is now resolved. Thanks.

Darknites

Jul 2, 2011
DARKNITES YOU ARE THE MAN. I send you a case a beer. Anyway... CWM menu down at the bottom is format data and media. never spotted this before and did that and the phone finally went around the darn encryption menu. THank you.

Don't drink beer but thanks away and no problem dude.