Galaxy S5 Knox Reset (New Hope)

Search This thread

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
Even with official status, if u sent to warranty they will check Knox status and not repair the phone if broken... Thats the sad situation :(

Thats my biggest confusion... WHAT IF ITS NOT A REPAIRRRR!! What if im sending it AFTER they sent the replacement from the warrenty (tmobile)

And by the wayy even if it was a repair thru insurance... WHY O WHYYY IN THE WORLD would u do repair when u can report it lost... get charged the same deductable.. sell the "lost one" to a 3rd world country and use that money to pay for the deductible.. that way they dont find out about knox... Can i Get an AMEN THOOOO!! Sheesh...

Sent from my SM-G900F/T/I/M/P/W8 using Tapatalk

devoidx

Mar 15, 2013
And by the wayy even if it was a repair thru insurance... WHY O WHYYY IN THE WORLD would u do repair when u can report it lost... get charged the same deductable.. sell the "lost one" to a 3rd world country and use that money to pay for the deductible.. that way they dont find out about knox... Can i Get an AMEN THOOOO!! Sheesh...

and this is why you see a million bad IMEI t mobile listings on ebay.

codee

Jun 14, 2010
Twin Cities
Thats my biggest confusion... WHAT IF ITS NOT A REPAIRRRR!! What if im sending it AFTER they sent the replacement from the warrenty (tmobile)

Sent from my SM-G900F/T/I/M/P/W8 using Tapatalk

Why ohhhh whyyyy would you commit FRAUD when you could just replace/repair it under a normal deductible or you know, accept the consequences for the choices you made when you decided to void your warranty?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
Why ohhhh whyyyy would you commit FRAUD when you could just replace/repair it under a normal deductible or you know, accept the consequences for the choices you made when you decided to void your warranty?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

So then whyyy ohhh whyyy reset Knox and not just deal with the consequences... Goes both ways buddy... Looking for a way to reset Knox is fraud as well but you don't see me pointing fingers....
#JUST SAYIN'

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Slicktune

May 7, 2010
and this is why you see a million bad IMEI t mobile listings on ebay.

I've got family over seas that would throw me about $400 for the phone... Deductible is $150, plus the replacement phone and the $250 is profit towards the new phone with jump... Come on man really?? How is that fruad, that's smart... Business man mentality... You think these guys had any consideration on what we thought about Knox? No so why should I?

Who's with me..

slind

Aug 18, 2007
Bremen
Guys..

I have my Knox tripped and I *might* wanna sell the device. I plan to flash in a stock firmware before putting it up on sale.
I hear that the Knox software will keep popping up messages and such?
So, how do I go completely stock, but with the Knox stuff removed?

Currently I'm on a custom ROM and there's no such issues as obviously the dev removed Knox.

Thanks!

If you are selling your device and won't mention that the warranty is void, you are committing fraud. And you should feel bad about yourself.

WPMan

Aug 20, 2010
Is it true that knox won't get tripped just by merely rooting the device? (No flashing of custom recovery, kernel, etc., just root)

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
If you read the forum post carefully, they talked about many factors that can trip KNOX.

S5 users have to take account that you have KNOX 2.0 and not KNOX 1.0 like Note 3 users. I myself have the N900W8 Note 3 version that can flash anything without touching KNOX status, so I have custom ROM, kernel, recovery with 0x0 KNOX.

It is the way the bootloader is signed to be able to trip the KNOX value.

Also since we're all breaking the rules here, why don't you guys talk about the QComm leaked certificate signing tool.....haha I said too much....it's gone from the internet and that was our last wisp of hope (Qualcomm users) to clear KNOX value how Samsung does it.

andyistic

Aug 17, 2013
www.chattermatrix.com
So that's my question, is there really a physical fuse in there that blows when you trip the knox counter? I'm confused ?...

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
My guess is that on cellphones with q-fuse CPU's (a q-fuse is an e-fuse embedded into the CPU, q meaning that Qualcomm did this to their Snapdragons), one or more q-fuses are involved with the KNOX operation.
Once blown, you cannot reset without replacing the CPU, which contains the q-fuse.

On other cellphones with non-Qualcomm CPU's, there's no such e-fuse, and therefore, the KNOX bit(s) are simply located in flash memory.
In this case, it's just a matter of being able to reflash this memory with non-tripped values, if it's possible to access it.

Shouldn't be hard to confirm if my guess is true or not, but for the moment, it seems to be.

Stiflerlv

Apr 9, 2010
My guess is that on cellphones with q-fuse CPU's (a q-fuse is an e-fuse embedded into the CPU, q meaning that Qualcomm did this to their Snapdragons), one or more q-fuses are involved with the KNOX operation.
Once blown, you cannot reset without replacing the CPU, which contains the q-fuse.

On other cellphones with non-Qualcomm CPU's, there's no such e-fuse, and therefore, the KNOX bit(s) are simply located in flash memory.
In this case, it's just a matter of being able to reflash this memory with non-tripped values, if it's possible to access it.

Shouldn't be hard to confirm if my guess is true or not, but for the moment, it seems to be.

It would sound stupid, for service centers to replace CPU only because of knox.. They wouldnt do that...

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com

They are able to reset the counter. Replacing a whole CPU is tedious and we all know that.

Sent from my fingers to your face using my custom Note 3 with 0x0 KNOX!

Albadros

Apr 23, 2010
Brussel
When I had my S2, I had the yellow triangle and I had a problem with NAND memory >> Brick :/ The phone was stucked on this yellow triangle. I send it to warranty and I get a new motherboard...

So.. warranty or not... is it a real problem for that warranty ? I will root my S5 in a few days... **** warranty ^^ I need Xposed and Greenify !

Active_Matrix

Oct 19, 2010
Bethpage, Ny
Do not know if this helps anything, but I wound up rooting my phone TWICE. I did it the day after I got the S5, sprint version, which tripped knox so yes, I am 0x1. I took the update on Kies while half asleep forgetting i would loose root. So, after the update EVERYTHING was Official. After that I re-rooted again, and glad to say, the knox counter stayed at 0x1! I was afraid that it would trip it again?! Then I installed TWRP, and same thing stayed 0x1.

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Do not know if this helps anything, but I wound up rooting my phone TWICE. I did it the day after I got the S5, sprint version, which tripped knox so yes, I am 0x1. I took the update on Kies while half asleep forgetting i would loose root. So, after the update EVERYTHING was Official. After that I re-rooted again, and glad to say, the knox counter stayed at 0x1! I was afraid that it would trip it again?! Then I installed TWRP, and same thing stayed 0x1.

Haha don't worry, your binary counter won't get any worse than it already is.

As binary (usually categorized in base-2 numeral system) only consists of two digits, 0 and 1, you can only have either 0x0 or 0x1

devoidx

Mar 15, 2013

lol 0x1 is all you need to lose all your warranty. 0x1 and 0x30000000000 isn't going to make a difference

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many are speaking of 'the S5'. It very depends on the type of SoC (Qualcomm or Exynos). Also when reading the thread there are many pointless assumptions without tech. background. Both bootchains are different. Also one q-fuse can theoretically re-set the state of another when programmed that way (odd / even).

Knox is a combination of bootloader / kernel implementation / Knox system apps and the 'flag'. There are different ways how Knox flag could be triggered.
    It depends on where I modify and what I modify and when I modify. AFAIK both kernels and the bootloader are digitally signed (recovery and OS). As soon as the digital signature of one of the kernel has changed Knox will be triggered, also when flashing an unsigned bootloader.
    Custom roms can be applied as long as the stock kernel remains untouched.

The primary control instance is the bootloader itself (flashing with Odin). Now we're having towel root. Nobody knows exactly how 'knox' knows when the kernel has changed. Is it the bootloader directly that verifies on any boot? Is there code that calculates the 'new' signature?

Hi there, may I introduce some mind boggling facts into your assumption as well?

I have the Canadian Note 3, and I am currently the OP of the N900W8 KNOX 0x0 guide.

I added an educated answer to why this is happening only for our devices on my thread, if you want to check it out.

I am on NA2 bootloader (Mexican leaked), Custom Recovery, Custom Kernel, Custom ROM - and KNOX is still at 0x0.

The fact that people have been using MOP to flash custom ROMs and keep KNOX at 0x0 shows that custom ROMs don't trigger the flag, and neither do modem flashes. It is all within the Recovery-Kernel TrustZone.

To answer your "Nobody knows exactly how 'knox' knows when the kernel has changed" with an educated theoretical answer - KNOX tests for Su/checks typical directories for Su and hence it starts crashing (but this doesn't mean that it would trip KNOX, it has just detected an unsafe environment in the userland) [Which is why people disable KNOX/uninstall KNOX on custom ROMs - disabling KNOX through SuperSU has no adverse effects towards the flag].

If you take a look at how KNOX functions, you will know what the so-called TrustZone is, which is typically why after the SECOND reboot after a normal root using Odin, your flag would be tripped on a normal device. Your phone goes into it's boot algorithm called "Secure Boot" which verifies the signatures on the bootloader, kernel and occasionally system software. As CF-Root is injected into a partition without any need of authentication or permissions, it will automatically boot after applying the "update", bypassing the check once, but after a reboot, poof goes your KNOX.

If I could dumb it down any further, when regarding Towelroot and not getting KNOX 0x1, it is because it is essentially a backdoor exploit using the signed Samsung kernel, which does not breach any of the TrustZone partition checks. A userland exploit, while gaining the help of the kernel (either through a backdoor or a buffer overflow) will not, and is unable to, destroy any higher level system structures such as the Kernel, ROM structure or Bootloader (as an office worker can't just fire their boss, they can still help and change ideas of their boss, but they can't make them *not* the boss (digitally UNsign him to trip KNOX)). However changing the officer in the company just by firing and hiring a new one, can easily corrupt the company by changing rules of the lower hierarchical members (Using Odin to inject Auto CF-Root). This is KNOX's main rule, written out for us to know.

All I can say is, after nearly a full year with my Canadian Note 3 and half a year with KNOX 0x0, this answer is the car and the driver relationship. The Car being the bootloader, and the driver being the kernel. As these are the two main things that KNOX loves tripping us on, I can safely assume that the bootloader is the key reason why people get tripped KNOXes.

Some useful information here on KNOX: http://www.samsung.com/my/business-..._whitepaper_An_Overview_of_Samsung_KNOX-0.pdf
    Problem is you guys are just having chit chats on this thread with no helpful development - hence it's under General, go find sh*t out yourself and don't ask to get spoonfed answers.

If you want to know what's happening, this is the bounty thread that just has bounties: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486346

This is the useful thread you should try to understand 100% before just blatantly asking whether there's a fix or not: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2642207

This was our last hope: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2721505 (which contained the actual Qualcomm certificate signing tool to reset KNOX, if you guys have been following the right threads, you would have already gotten hands on this)
    Knox won't ever be cracked, ever. NSA approved.
    All that meas is that they already know how to crack it :angel:
    eraby6a2.jpg

It seems like there is a cure and its not impossible.. Does this mean that all that crap that people said about a physical eFuse blowing up was debunked... Meaning we have hope!!! ?????

BTW sorry i forgot to mention.. It's for the galaxy note 3..?

here's the link to the original thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486346

Thanks in advance
    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    someone have to test it and report it back to know :D
    we hope that works

I downloaded the tar and checked it's contents.

It's for the Exynos Note 3. Both files are only for that variant. (N900)

No one should try to cross-flash them in another device, it will most likely brick your phone.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk