Search This thread

[] AL []

Recognized Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
Wow! you're fighting on all fronts!! Thanks.

In fact, I was partially wrong: I believe thsat it was the usb connection (charge only) that prevented the notification panel closing. I've just swiped one now with same setup but unplugged and it closed... no biggie either way..

For DSP: most of mine were: in a phone call, take the phone off the ear to hang up and as soon as the screen lights up bam! fc.

I was using N7 music player up to a few days ago and going for PlayerPro instead... I wouldn't be surprised if part of the problem was ther... I recieved almost no calls -if any- on this SIM... But will sure submit thombstones if happens.

My dream is that this gremlin also has something to do with the videocam stuttering /freezing ...but that's maybe Defy in Wonderland...

maniac103

Jan 3, 2008
Wow! you're fighting on all fronts!! Thanks.

In fact, I was partially wrong: I believe thsat it was the usb connection (charge only) that prevented the notification panel closing. I've just swiped one now with same setup but unplugged and it closed... no biggie either way..

For DSP: most of mine were: in a phone call, take the phone off the ear to hang up and as soon as the screen lights up bam! fc.

I was using N7 music player up to a few days ago and going for PlayerPro instead... I wouldn't be surprised if part of the problem was ther... I recieved almost no calls -if any- on this SIM... But will sure submit thombstones if happens.

My dream is that this gremlin also has something to do with the videocam stuttering /freezing ...but that's maybe Defy in Wonderland...

I don't think that's unlikely - after all, the problem is a mediaserver crash.
The tombstone as mentioned above will tell.

Gesendet von meinem MB525 mit Tapatalk 2

[] AL []

Recognized Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
That didn't produce anything here...
Did you have a fc of DSP?; that just means that the tombstones include no mediaserver related entries...

- - -

Two questions:

1- I thought there was a new commit regarding the phone numbers formatting.. Where is that and how does it works? And would it be a unique and general setting?; what if I have 3 different phone formats: xxxx-xxxx, xxx-xxxx-xxxx or +86-xxx-xxxx-xxxx?

Also on this: currently if you want to re-format a number like 123-456-789 and place you cursor before the 4 and hit backspace, it will delete the first dash AND the 3 at once; not very convenient...

2- The recent haptic feedback for power widgets: is there a way to decrease it? I've tried to edit the 3 or 4 settings in "Haptic feedback tweaks" section, but felt no difference for those. I also though there was a recent commit that reduced that vibration; for me it's still too strong and I'drather have the same response as hitting one of the 4 hard buttons instead...

No DSP FC over the last few days; good! ...but that ain't helping Maniac in debugging... :(

maniac103

Jan 3, 2008
Did you have a fc of DSP?; that just means that the tombstones include no mediaserver related entries...

- - -

Two questions:

1- I thought there was a new commit regarding the phone numbers formatting.. Where is that and how does it works? And would it be a unique and general setting?; what if I have 3 different phone formats: xxxx-xxxx, xxx-xxxx-xxxx or +86-xxx-xxxx-xxxx?

Also on this: currently if you want to re-format a number like 123-456-789 and place you cursor before the 4 and hit backspace, it will delete the first dash AND the 3 at once; not very convenient...
What are you talking about here? :) I can't follow you at the moment.

2- The recent haptic feedback for power widgets: is there a way to decrease it? I've tried to edit the 3 or 4 settings in "Haptic feedback tweaks" section, but felt no difference for those. I also though there was a recent commit that reduced that vibration; for me it's still too strong and I'drather have the same response as hitting one of the 4 hard buttons instead...
Currently the strength is hardcoded. Where can I find those tweak settings? Maybe there's a setting I can use.

No DSP FC over the last few days; good! ...but that ain't helping Maniac in debugging... :(

Please still check the tombstones from time of time. Mediaserver still can (and probably will) crash, I just avoided the FC that appeared as a consequence.

Reactions: [] AL []

[] AL []

Recognized Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
What are you talking about here? :) I can't follow you at the moment.
I've probably mis-interpreted this commit for something else... :eek:
Here, residential phone numbers have 8-digits ##-###-###; mobile phone numbers have 11-digits: ###-####-####; and sometimes, I have to add +86 in front of those to be able to call those contacts --> so 3 ("+86") [or 4 if "+86-" is added] additional digits...

That makes for looooong phone numbers and hence the need of a certain "number formatting" with the "-".

I thought there was a new dialer settings option somewhere to do this.... me bad!

..But, there is a currently a slight issue while doing such number formatting manually: see pic 1... (back key deleles the "-" and the "3" at once.
Currently the strength is hardcoded.
OK, that's what I suspected..thanks. Still think they're set too high; but I do want to be b_.g for nothing... :p
Please still check the tombstones from time of time. Mediaserver still can (and probably will) crash, I just avoided the FC that appeared as a consequence.
OK good to know, I'lll sure do. ;)

Attachments

• dialernumberformatting.JPG
    dialernumberformatting.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 367

maniac103

Jan 3, 2008
I've probably mis-interpreted this commit for something else... :eek:
Here, residential phone numbers have 8-digits ##-###-###; mobile phone numbers have 11-digits: ###-####-####; and sometimes, I have to add +86 in front of those to be able to call those contacts --> so 3 ("+86") [or 4 if "+86-" is added] additional digits...

That makes for looooong phone numbers and hence the need of a certain "number formatting" with the "-".

I thought there was a new dialer settings option somewhere to do this.... me bad!
Thatcher commit is for disabling the automatic phone number formatting in the dialer that previously was done unconditionally. It can be found in the dialer/contacts app options.

OK, that's what I suspected..thanks. Still think they're set too high; but I do want to be b_.g for nothing... :p

Yeah, I'll change it to respect the haptic feedback tweaks settings. That's a much better idea than hardcoding anyway.

arjcba

Aug 23, 2011
Something good (for me at least) in this last maniac's build. The video recording glitch has gone away. Since 2 or 3 builds ago i was suffering from this 1 sec freeze every ~5 seconds while recording videos, now it's smooth again :D Thanks!

Oh, the camera freezes has gone too, bye bye Green Screen of Death :cool:

And about the DPS fc's, i don't have it for a while now... since 2 builds ago.. that i remember

ofmb

Mar 3, 2011
Something good (for me at least) in this last maniac's build. The video recording glitch has gone away. Since 2 or 3 builds ago i was suffering from this 1 sec freeze every ~5 seconds while recording videos, now it's smooth again :D Thanks!

Oh, the camera freezes has gone too, bye bye Green Screen of Death :cool:

And about the DPS fc's, i don't have it for a while now... since 2 builds ago.. that i remember

do u use SIO scheduler? it might have fixed that too! :cool:

[] AL []

Recognized Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
do u use SIO scheduler? it might have fixed that too! :cool:

Funny you mention this: I was just trying this out and I must admit that so far, I'm impressed..

I'm using SIO sched + BoostedA..v2 gov -> first time that a different governor wows me. Responsive all around, free ram seems to stay up after using (and closing) many apps -heck, even the camera seems to start faster. So far, no videocam freezes, but that will need more investigation...

Only slight drawback I've noticed: my clock widget and my weather widget were all scretched out when I returned to a home screen from the camera. For sure, a restart of ADW launcher solves that, but what is better is to lock the launcher in memory [cm7 settings/Performance/Lock home in memory]: no more problems with widgets.

Exciting stuff; I can't wait to see [in a few days] how's the battery doing with this and most importantly, if this will be the cure for the videocam.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

arjcba

Aug 23, 2011
Interesting, this should never crash there. Can you reproduce that?

I don't think so. I was downloading a file in Opera Mobile so I kept the screen On and the status bar open to see any new sms arriving...
I guess I hit some button (probably the wifi button, as you can see int he print) when I grabbed the phone and the FC happend.

Attachments

• screenshot-1337977606658.jpg
    screenshot-1337977606658.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 556

kapil_dheer

Install Gingerbread over froyo

Dear Members,

I have seen lot of posts saying Gingerbread is more battery efficient than froyo.
Is this true & worth switching from froyo to gingerbread?

If it is good, I will flash gingerbread but want to install CM7/ CM9 finally. Presently I am on CM7.2 RC1 & love it over RC2 for its battery performance.

Will the results even be better once I change to GB & then install CM7.2 RC1 on my defy red lens?

Please guide.

I would rather like to have downgradability intact to froyo for warranty purposes. In that case, I will have to flash fixed GB with nandroid backup.

I tried searching on XDA but links seem to be broken being old.

CAn a learned member clarify all my doubts & provide me a detailed step by step guide for update. The guides available / I have seen are incomplete & seem to be leaving the user in between.

Hope I am not asking much.

ofmb

Mar 3, 2011
Interesting, this should never crash there. Can you reproduce that?

It happened to me also, unfortunately I was in a rush and couldn't logcat..
Maybe I'll search for a ''save logcat on sdcard'' widget :)

Edit: oh, CATLOG has it :) seems perfect for in a rush situations

Last edited:

[] AL []

Recognized Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
Dear Members,

I have seen lot of posts saying Gingerbread is more battery efficient than froyo.
Is this true & worth switching from froyo to gingerbread?

If it is good, I will flash gingerbread but want to install CM7/ CM9 finally. Presently I am on CM7.2 RC1 & love it over RC2 for its battery performance.

Will the results even be better once I change to GB & then install CM7.2 RC1 on my defy red lens?

Please guide.

I would rather like to have downgradability intact to froyo for warranty purposes. In that case, I will have to flash fixed GB with nandroid backup.

I tried searching on XDA but links seem to be broken being old.

CAn a learned member clarify all my doubts & provide me a detailed step by step guide for update. The guides available / I have seen are incomplete & seem to be leaving the user in between.

Hope I am not asking much.

Your not asking too much; maybe just not at the perfect place to do so...

But rapidly:

I doubt that there is such a battery usage difference between Froyo and GB, but your free to try it out anyway.
There are no downgradability issue because you should not flash a GB full sbf to do so. BUT, you will have to use a Defy PLUS (or CM9-GB) specific builds AND then also install a GB kernel from a zip.

If you ever want to return to Froyo, you'll have to use a corresponding CM7/CM9 build and then install a Froyo kernel zip [so download and put both GB and Froyo kernel zips on your sd card]. Maniac103's builds include a froyo kernel: so no need to flash froyo kernel if/when you come back.

Kernels in flashable zips here

Gingerbread builds: (check the dates..)
Epsylon3's Defy+ builds here;
Quarx Defy+ builds here;
Euroskankl Defy+ builds here

*** Red lenses and Defy+ only ***

and be warned: some builds might require the replacement of battd file for the battery to report charge properly...search and read more on it.

aceng_87

Your not asking too much; maybe just not at the perfect place to do so...

But rapidly:

I doubt that there is such a battery usage difference between Froyo and GB, but your free to try it out anyway.
There are no downgradability issue because you should not flash a GB full sbf to do so. BUT, you will have to use a Defy PLUS (or CM9-GB) specific builds AND then also install a GB kernel from a zip.

If you ever want to return to Froyo, you'll have to use a corresponding CM7/CM9 build and then install a Froyo kernel zip [so download and put both GB and Froyo kernel zips on your sd card]. Maniac103's builds include a froyo kernel: so no need to flash froyo kernel if/when you come back.

Kernels in flashable zips here

Gingerbread builds: (check the dates..)
Epsylon3's Defy+ builds here;
Quarx Defy+ builds here;
Euroskankl Defy+ builds here

*** Red lenses and Defy+ only ***

and be warned: some builds might require the replacement of battd file for the battery to report charge properly...search and read more on it.

thanks a lot dawggg!!=)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 7 for Motorola Defy

Status CyanogenMod 7.2.0 Stable:

Changelogs:
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Red"]7.2.0[/COLOR]:[/B]

The official 7.2.0 and actual official nightlies doesn't include
      all our features. That is the purpose of the this release.

Common: Connection Profiles and Notifications Enhancements
    Common: Lockscreen Calendar and options
    Common: Phone Landscape Dialpad Layout*
    Common: Keyboard : Swipe Gestures (caps, keyboard modes)*
    Common: Device specific Settings Menu
    Jordan: Multitouch and LED mode settings
    Jordan: Compass calibration and DSP settings (from motorola)
    Jordan: Better Battery Life
    Jordan: Button Backlight Tuning
    Jordan: Camera and videos Enhancements, enhanced stability*
    Jordan: Fake pds partition to prevent alterations
    Jordan: Enhanced ADB over Network (Notification icon)*
    Jordan: Recovery 5.0.3.1 with devtree support
    Jordan: Open source ADBD and Busybox "adb shell" with history saving
    Jordan: Busybox 1.19.3*
    Jordan: Market fingerprint and stability

(*Not merged in upstream for the moment)

[B]03.09.11 7.1.0-RC1.5 Jordan (3 Sep 2011):[/B]
    USB/Wifi/Bluetooth Tethering.
    New set of kernel modules built from sources: MMC-fix, overclocking, multitouch
    Camera: Touch to focus
    Camera: video flashlight for red camera
    N-point MultiTouch (persist.sys.multitouch)
    Fixed geotags in the photos
    Fixed dual SIM adapters which use Stk not working
    Increase boot speed. (merged in CM7)
    Bionic libc optimization (merged in CM7)
    CrystalTalk (Voice filter)
    Bootmenu 1.0.4 with adb modes and new Mass storage modes
    Overscroll custom color (not only set by themes)
    Adb over Network with warning
    Camera shutter mute setting (persist.sys.camera-mute)
    BusyBox v1.19.1-cm71 bionic
    [B]28.06.11 RC1v2:[/B]
    179 Kernel
    Wifi indicator fix
    Fix BT when FMradio is started
    Fix FMradio APP
    Added 'ro.battery_light=true' in build.prop, true - enable BatteryLight while charging
    CIFS module.
    Widescreen photo.
    Some improvements in 3D..
    Overclock configuration is automatically backuped and restored, if you install new version of rom.
    Fix zoom problem.
    Fix Secure login by wifi (MotoPortal, IE Only)
    Fixed exposure setting in camera app
    Fixed camera timestamps for green lens
    Cosmetic fix 'Scaling Range' & 'CPU Frequency Range'
    Fix camera timestamps for BAYER camera
    [B]04.06.11 RC0:[/B]
    fixes SMS troubles for Chinese users
    Fix 100% CPU usage.
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1033654&page=370"]1% step for battery[/URL]
    Removed "factory reset" from settings.
    Removed  reboot dialog.
    Latest CWM/Bootmenu
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]New safe frequencies:[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]300-30
    600-46
    1000-58[/COLOR]
    Adobe flash HW.
    New Wifi.
    Speakerphone fix
    Pattern lock timeout (same as stock froyo) (author quarck 4pda)
    WVGA video recording for green camera (author vick33)
    Added NetworkMode in settings: GSM only, WCDMA only, GSM/WCDMA auto, GSM/WCDMA preferred
    Increase boot speed.
    Proximity workaround patch (author quarck 4pda)
    [B]13.05.11 Beta6:[/B]
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13563743&postcount=2835"]Fixed a problem waking device when switched off the lock screen. If you press the volume buttons and the headset button.[/URL]
    [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13569142&postcount=2865"]issue #130 - Beta 5.1 Can't charge when shutdown![/URL]
    fix 2USB Storage icon 
    Enables SIP on WIFI only - False 
    Fix Autobrightness levels
    Fix camera frame drops.
    Maybe fix batt drain.
    Busybox 1.19
    Increase of brightness
    Increase of brightness flashlight (High brightness) so as ledefy on max.
    Clockwork 3.0.2.8
    Bootmenu 0.8
    latest Android.
    Some small fixes

[B]07.05.2011 Beta5.1:[/B]
    AGPS...
    Some fixes.
    New Update.zip
    [B]03.05.2011 Beta5:[/B]
    Added SIM Toolkit app
    Fm-Radio
    Re-Reworking sensors.
    Some changes in Wifi and Video codec's.
    Stock Torch APP/Widget. 
    Update to 2.3.4 -> CM 7.1.0-RC0:
    - DSP Manager: equalizer presets
    AAC+
    Maybe even have forgotten ...

[B]29.04.2011 Beta4.1:[/B]
    Fix DroidWall/Iptables ( kang.project-voodoo.org/f/iptables-cm7-kang.zip )
    Reworking Wifi.
    Update busybox to 1.19 - [COLOR="Red"]Disabled in beta4.1[/COLOR]([URL="https://github.com/Quarx2k/android_device_motorola_umts_jordan/issues/57"]issues #57[/URL]) )
    720p Playback. [url]http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13136257&postcount=1526[/url]  - [COLOR="red"]Disabled in beta4.1[/COLOR]
    Reworking Overlay & Codecs (No more proprietary)
    CM -> 7.0.2
    AAC/WMA codec in the video now has hardware acceleration. (improvement 720p )  - [COLOR="Red"]Disabled in beta4.1[/COLOR]
    Added MotoPortal.
    GPS_fix2 included.
    basebandswitcher V3.1 multilanguage V0.1  included.
    Fix Auto-Brightness
    min_free_kbytes -> 4096
    Fix red camera.

[B]20.04.2011 Beta3:[/B]
    Fix Skype and some other programs. 
    Fix Red Camera... thanks for solution to [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=3911109"]pabx [/URL]
    Fix Headset button ([URL="https://github.com/Quarx2k/android_device_motorola_umts_jordan/issues/1#issuecomment-1021778"]issues #1[/URL]) - [URL="http://ge.tt/4mEYIiv/Fix_Headset_button.zip?type=download"]Update.zip for beta2[/URL]
    GPS icon fix -  ([URL="https://github.com/Quarx2k/android_device_motorola_umts_jordan/issues/4"]issues #4[/URL]) - [URL="http://ge.tt/6CLUIkP/Fix_GPS.zip?type=download"]Update.zip for beta2[/URL]
    Fix double USB icon.
    Small fix for GPS(Searches faster satellite)
    Added Baseband Switcher.
    Fix Camcoder (big thanks to [B]morpehus[/B] (4pda.ru))
    Charging of battery with the phone off  ([URL="https://github.com/Quarx2k/android_device_motorola_umts_jordan/issues/36"]issues #36[/URL])

[B]17.04.2011 Beta2:[/B] 
    Fix RIL.
    Fix APN's
    Fix Compass.
    Fix Opengl 2.0
    Fix Live Wallpapers.
    The volume keys do not wake device

[B]16.04.2011 Beta1:[/B] 
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]RIL Now Works![/COLOR][/B]
    All sensors works
    GPS now Works
    Reworking Audio
    Rooted.
    Kernel from new 3.4.2-177

[B]15.04.2011 Alpha2:[/B] 
    Bluetooth now working for transfer files
    USB Fully working.
    Camera: Photo working with prewiev. FLASH working.
    Added more languages
    2nd-init by default (unstable)
    Audio and DSP Manager now works
    G-Sensor(KXTF9), LM3530, AK8973.
    LED: All colors
    DSP: H264 Video
    3D:  Improve Performance
    Superuser added / not works correctly.

[B]13.04.2011:[/B] 
    First release for demostration work CM7 on Defy. (and not fake)
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Flash froyo
    2. Copy *.zip to sdcard
    3. Reboot your device in BootMenu/ClockWork
    4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    5. Install the *zip
    6. reboot

If you liked this project, you can donate
    Paypal: quarx@yandex.ru
    WebMoney:
    USD:Z319203344726
    Yandex money: 4100188263979
    Or you can buy this app: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.donatecm7
    ---------------------------------------
    Donate to Epsylon3 (tpruvot)
    PayPal: epsylon3@gmail.com
    http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=803131
    ---------------------------------------
    Donate to Maniac103
    PayPal: dannybaumann@web.de
    http://xdaforums.com/donatetome.php?u=765758

All the found issues, please send to GITHUB - https://github.com/CyanogenDefy/android_device_motorola_jordan/issues

Sources on github:
    Download:
    repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenDefy/android.git -b gingerbread
    repo sync
    Build:
    . build/envsetup.sh && brunch jordan

F.A.Q

Latest Google APPS

Download:
    Official cyanogen builds
    Epsylon Nightly Builds
    Quarx Nightly Builds
    Maniac103 Nightly Builds
    Disclaimer: The next lines are by no means meant offensive or as a personal attack. It's just my personal opinion that I feel needs to be expressed.

Yea, indeed. There are so many extra function in CM7 that I don't use it. I hope that the experimental phase will be transferred to ICS project. XDA's CM7 need to be finished by removing as many bugs as it's possible.
    I think you should get your expectations correct (refering to 'need to be finished'). Unlike e.g. Motorola, we don't need to deliver a completely finished, totally bug-free 'product'. Unlike e.g. Motorola people, we aren't paid to work on this stuff, we are volunteers working on this stuff for fun in our free times. That includes the fact that we are free to choose what we want to work on, including working on e.g. ICS (if we, or in this particular case, Epsylon3) are interested in that or not working on anything at all for some time and devoting time to the new-born son instead (in this particular case, me at the moment).

You also need to understand that some things are incredibly hard to fix (due to the complexity of the code) or near to impossible to fix (because we're dealing with binary blobs).

Edit: I guess it boils down to one thing: Writing bug reports is nice and welcomed, but they shouldn't be understood as tasks, but as information to us (the developers).

Talking about your particular examples:

Is this happening with headset only? The report is lacking details.

This is the 'dealing with binaries' case. If you feel like spending countless hours hacking smali disassembly code, go for it. If you feel like spending weeks writing a replacement: Even better.

This is fixed in our nightlies since some time. I invested a number of hours debugging this in the complex video recording code, BTW, without even having personal interest in the video recording feature.

Never encountered that issue so far, how am I supposed to debug this now?

6. Screen locks after hang up the conversation if the talk was longer than time for screen off.
    It should go back to call log according to:
    Settings > Call settings > Always back to call log - checked.
    I think that's behaving as desired from the code. When you unlock the screen, you should see the call log.

7. Battery lifetime
    8. Battery lifetime
    9. Battery lifetime
    Sorry, but without giving any particular battery drain scenario, ruling out e.g. apps or 3G usage etc., it's a waste of time to even talk about this. I personally got 2.5 to 3 days of battery lifetime from the stock ROM, and I get the same from CM7.
    This 'CM7 drains my battery' story really is getting old, especially without any data backing it.

Maybe the devs should start a vote for the most annoying bugs the users want to have fixed? I'd rather like to see a very stable CM7 than another 5 months with a pre-beta CM9. Just my 2 cents.
    We don't need a vote, we need people helping with the code, devoting time and fixing bugs. See first paragraph ;)
    maniac has branched Qkernel for gb :silly:

Don't hold your breath ;)
    I'm experimenting with it, mainly to see whether I can get it working stably.
    At least it's booting already ;)

Uploading new build.
    Main change is 720p rec for red lense.
    In defy+ hd rec enabled by default.
    In defy build hd rec available too, but not in media_profiles.xml.
    Yes, there is still a kernel problem regarding the wifi module... But its the first bootable (and moddable so) kernel built from sources... for cm7

to be continued....

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda app-developers app