dead android w/ red exclamation point

Search This thread

pairustwo

Nov 4, 2011
I'm trying to flash the stock recovery so that I can install the 4.4.3 OTA update.
I'm following these steps:

1)Open a command prompt on your PC and change directory to the folder where mfastboot.exe is.

2)At the command prompt type:

mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img

to flash the stock recovery to your Moto X.

3)After the recovery has been flashed to your Moto X, at the command prompt type:

fastboot reboot-bootloader

to reboot into the bootloader.

When I boot into recovery I get a dead android with a red exclamation point.
Let sit for a minute it eventually boots into KitKat. What is up with this? How can I take the update with this messed up recovery.

I used the stock recovery from the OP in this thread http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/xt1053-4-4-3-ota-update-zip-t2772613

please help.

n0obpr0

May 12, 2012
I'm trying to flash the stock recovery so that I can install the 4.4.3 OTA update.
I'm following these steps:

1)Open a command prompt on your PC and change directory to the folder where mfastboot.exe is.

2)At the command prompt type:

mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img

to flash the stock recovery to your Moto X.

3)After the recovery has been flashed to your Moto X, at the command prompt type:

fastboot reboot-bootloader

to reboot into the bootloader.

Let sit for a minute it eventually boots into KitKat. What is up with this? How can I take the update with this messed up recovery.

I used the stock recovery from the OP in this thread http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/general/xt1053-4-4-3-ota-update-zip-t2772613

please help.

I had a difficult time( for some reason) trying to update to 4.4.3 the same way you are trying. I almost messed up my phone completely. Needless to say, I had to flash back to stock 4.4.2 manually with the help of others. Phone is now updated to 4.4.3 via OTA.

pairustwo

Nov 4, 2011
I had a difficult time( for some reason) trying to update to 4.4.3 the same way you are trying. I almost messed up my phone completely. Needless to say, I had to flash back to stock 4.4.2 manually with the help of others. Phone is now updated to 4.4.3 via OTA.

Don't leave me hanging... How did you do it?

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark) is normal when booting to stock recovery.

Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key. That should put you in Recovery stock recovery.

pairustwo

Nov 4, 2011
Ugg. I'm dumb. Reading through the link you posted I realized the "Dead Android with Red Exclamation Point" is actually the stock recovery. I just need to hold the Vol up button for a few seconds and then tap the power button. Hmm. How did I not know that?

I thought I had a screwed up Recovery. Turns out it is fine.

n0obpr0

May 12, 2012
Ugg. I'm dumb. Reading through the link you posted I realized the "Dead Android with Red Exclamation Point" is actually the stock recovery. I just need to hold the Vol up button for a few seconds and then tap the power button. Hmm. How did I not know that?

I thought I had a screwed up Recovery. Turns out it is fine.

Don't be stressing android lol

bigfatbernie

Jun 11, 2014
Don't be stressing android lol

I had the same problem and managed to fix it without erasing everything.
Here are my steps:

flashboot flash recovery recovery.img
flashboot reboot-bootloader

It will go to Recovery
See the dead android with exclamation mark
Press Volume-Up for 10 seconds and then click power (without releasing vol-up)
Enter Stock Recovery Screen

Apply update from sdcard

Get 4.4.3 update.zip file here

aumshethia

Nov 23, 2013
Mumbai - Thane
"Press Volume-Up for 10 seconds and then click power (without releasing vol-up)
Enter Stock Recovery Screen"

This method is not working on my Moto G XT 1033 (Dual sim version).
I am running 5.0.2
Please assist on how can i see my stock recovery from that red exclamation mark logo screen.
Ok... i got solution here!
http://xdaforums.com/moto-g-2014/help/red-exclamation-mark-bug-droid-recovery-t3012842

Button combination changed in Lollipop.
Press the power button and tap the vol up button to enter recovery.

Last edited: