[Q] Screen off when useing HDMI

Search This thread

smd3235

Sep 2, 2009
Phoenix
this was asked in another fourm but never got a solid answer. I have my tablet connected to my TV in my bedroom and it is connected to my media server so i can watch movies from it and have it displayed on the tv. The issue is im staring at the tablet and TV both screens are on. Here is the question that the other user asked on the other fourm

"Is it possible to turn the a500 display off when connecting to a TV using HDMI out? If you try to lock the device (hit the power button), it halts the device completely. There is not brightness option for "completely off," so that's not an option. Ideally, I'd like to save battery if I'm watching a movie via HDMI.

Does this require a 3rd party app, if so, do you know of any? Thanks in advance! "

dito33

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah I stumbled on that one too and I don't think you can I hope someone prove me wrong I hope.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

sanaell

Apr 3, 2008
Bangkok
it's dual screen so no way to turn it off, unless Acer decide to do it so...

but why not just cover the screen..... with the case..

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
I think the point of turning it off is to save battery. I also am in the same position. I use it to watch netflix on my upstairs tv but it sucks cause it depletes the battery quicker then if I could just turn the screen off on the tablet. Hopefully something can done to resolve this. Maybe a mod or something.

sanaell

Apr 3, 2008
Bangkok
don't tell me that you are not going to watch 8 hours in a row movies from the tablet on your TV.... without plugin on power your tablet... or even if you are in a friends house, you are watching a 3 hours movies but you will not stick to your tablet 8 straight hours...
or you bring your powercharger...

mburke178

May 15, 2008
don't tell me that you are not going to watch 8 hours in a row movies from the tablet on your TV.... without plugin on power your tablet... or even if you are in a friends house, you are watching a 3 hours movies but you will not stick to your tablet 8 straight hours...
or you bring your powercharger...

+1 +1 +1 +1, if you wanna use it as a dvd player plug it in.

vanisleguy1976

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver Island
You could conceivably use Widgetsoid or something similar to reduce screen brightness to 0%.

But if you reduce the screen brightness to zero, will it not in turn reduce the output to your tv to zero? As far as I know, the tv will show exactly what the tablet shows. As someone else pointed out, just close the case. That's what I do! And heck yes, plug the tablet in so you can enjoy the awesomeness longer :D

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Ragnorok64

Nov 9, 2010
But if you reduce the screen brightness to zero, will it not in turn reduce the output to your tv to zero? As far as I know, the tv will show exactly what the tablet shows. As someone else pointed out, just close the case. That's what I do! And heck yes, plug the tablet in so you can enjoy the awesomeness longer :D

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Changing the brightness on the tablet does not affect the brightness of what's output over HDMI.

Also note that I said "conceivably" I woudn't suggest actually lowering the brightness to 0%, and hitting OK, it'd be difficult to get it back up whiel blind poking.

dito33

Jul 13, 2010
This is tight up with whatever player your using even without plugin to anything when turn screen off the video stops is very simple.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

nick2k

Feb 26, 2010
bummer. there should be an option for the screen to go dark/off until you hit a button or something. i can turn off my phone's display and still listen to music and access and play the music & videos stored on the MicroSD via USB.

one of the reasons i bought this is so i can plug it into other TVs in the house that don't have access to a digital media player. i would find it annoying to have two light sources in the room. plus the fact that you're draining the battery even more and putting miles on the screen's life. and i'm guessing you can't even charge via the HDMI port.

i won't be able to find out for myself until tomorrow because i just picked up the A500 tonight and it JUST started its 4 hour pre-boot charge.

rstuckmaier

Jul 24, 2010
30 minutes south of 4G, Illnois
I've been rereading your post and I'm not 100% sure what you're saying.

If you open your settings and turn off auto brightness and manually drag the brightness slider all the way to the left: this is considered "0" for the tablet.

So I was saying that you can try setting up a Widgetsoid widget to change the brightness to "0" but it won't be any darker than the previous "0" level.

Ragnorok64

Nov 9, 2010
If you open your settings and turn off auto brightness and manually drag the brightness slider all the way to the left: this is considered "0" for the tablet.

So I was saying that you can try setting up a Widgetsoid widget to change the brightness to "0" but it won't be any darker than the previous "0" level.
I see.

But, I can most definately achieve darker screen settings with Widgetsoid than I can with the built in brightness control. Try it yourself, 0% is actually 0%.

San Pedro

Jun 28, 2011
Kota-cho, Aichi, Japan
this was asked in another fourm but never got a solid answer. I have my tablet connected to my TV in my bedroom and it is connected to my media server so i can watch movies from it and have it displayed on the tv. The issue is im staring at the tablet and TV both screens are on. Here is the question that the other user asked on the other fourm

"Is it possible to turn the a500 display off when connecting to a TV using HDMI out? If you try to lock the device (hit the power button), it halts the device completely. There is not brightness option for "completely off," so that's not an option. Ideally, I'd like to save battery if I'm watching a movie via HDMI.

Does this require a 3rd party app, if so, do you know of any? Thanks in advance! "

What I do is use mobo player. Just swipe down on the left hand side of your screen and you drop the brightness down to 1%, which is pretty much off, you can't see anything on the screen. Hope this works for you.

I tried with mx video player, but couldn't get the brightness as low.

bytemehard

May 3, 2011
smalltown
Just fiddled with the brightness levels in Widgetsoid app. Even at the lowest screen brightness when I hit OK it reverted back to about a 10% from what I could tell. Must be a failsafe so you won't end up with a black screen. SO I agree with a previous poster. Doesn't look like it can be done at least with Widgetsoid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have root you can download rootdim from android market and that will solve your problem. It will turn off your a500 screen but still let HDMI output to TV.

You can also dim screen anywhere between 0 and 255.

Has big buttons to recover screen to a readable screen.

A slider across top of screen to dim and brighten screen as well.
    Screen Standby

Their is an app called screen standby it has hdmi connectivity detection. Works great for me.