[Q] how to root tmobile galaxy s3 SGH-T999L?

Search This thread

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
How can I root my phone I've looked everywhere and couldn't find anything could you guys please help me out

Umm, a couple things have been confirmed working in this thread. But ok, here's 3 different ways.

Motochopper

Odin flash CWM or TWRP. Then from recovery flash the SuperSU update.

Odin flash the Stock System from my T999L thread in the development section.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Timg_9

Jul 11, 2013
Motochopper

Do you think motochopper is the best solution to root my phone and are you sure it's compatible for my phone version

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Do you think motochopper is the best solution to root my phone and are you sure it's compatible for my phone version

Others have used.it successfully, but I'd only suggest it as a last resort because all.I really know about it is it uses an exploit.
The easiest imo would be to Odin flash the Stock System in my dev thread.
The way most people do it is by Odin flashing recovery then flashing supersu.

The other issue with Motochopper is it'll be patched against soon. So you won't be able to use it in the future. May as well learn a different way now.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Reactions: MotoDefier

Timg_9

Jul 11, 2013
could you help me out

could you help me out by doing by step by step on how to odin flash the stock system

Timg_9

Jul 11, 2013
do i need to download the t999l purestock + root to root my phone

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

do i need to download the t999l purestock + root to root my phone or what do i need to download

MotoDefier

Aug 4, 2011
Flower Mound
What do I flash odin with

You use odin to flash, you don't flash odin, I recommend you do a lot of research on these things, before you continue this path with your device, not knowing these things and attempting them is hazardous to your devices health. Google odin and read everything you can find on it, become comfortable with the methods before attempting them, be SAFE I know you want it now, but its worth the wait to be able to do it right!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app

manofsteel1

Jul 10, 2013
It wont erase any of my data would it?

Is there a root zip i can flash within recovery to root?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just flash cwm or twrp using odin, then flash the supersu zip.
    Everything you need is in my sig.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda premium

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Also, the motochopper exploit will work.

Just flash cwm or twrp using odin, then flash the supersu zip.
    Everything you need is in my sig.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

Also, the motochopper exploit will work.

Use motochopper, it only takes around two to three minutes total, and it leaves you with stock recovery in case you need to go back for waranty purposes, motochopper also does not trip the flash counter, or change the system binary to custom. besides that with the T999L you dont need a custom recovery as the stock recovery has adb sideload support( see Edit at the Bottom For further citation), you just wont be flashing any custom roms until we get some odin roms built, personally I wouldn't flash any custom rom until DocHoliday77 has a true stock odin built, and that won't be until we can get our hands on the stock firmware, which won't happen until the T999L gets an update or at least until sammy releases the firmware, which is pretty much the same time.
    EDIT:
    after modding a few system files, and getting stuck in a boot loop @ the T-Mobile splash screen, i have found that in fact you don't need a custom recovery for anything but flashing custom Roms/Kernels, the stock recovery not only supports the new Adb Sideload function, the dept of adb support seems to be full adb support all the way down to shell support as i was able to use the following to delete the modded system files and get my device back and running from the recovery menu (no options selected)

adb devices
    adb shell
    su
    rm /system/framework/multiwindow.jar
    rm /system/framework/multiwindow.odex

i was allowed to use the rm function of the shell to delete the two files i added to the system/framework folder.
    You're good to use the T999 roms. Just do not flash any modems or firmware not specifically for your model.
    Aldo, many CM/AOSP roms may not flash. There is a way to solve this and as devs update their roms I'm hoping they start adding the T999L to the script to allow it.

Please read forum rules before posting
    Questions and Help issues go in Q&A and help section
    Thread moved
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
    Just read this. Thanks MotoDefier, do you mean that we can't flash custom rom for T999L yet?

Yes/no if you flash a custom rom you will have to flash a custom recovery to do so, which means you will lose your stock recovery, Docholiday77 is currently working on making all the data we pulled from my T999L compatible with odin, which once its done you won't have to worry, but if you flash custom recovery, custom rom at this stage, you will be essentially locked out of your warranty until we have everything ready for odin, also we just pulled all the info for rom development just about a week ago so I doubt anyone has really had the time, or resources to build a custom rom specifically for the T999L which means you will be flashing at the risk of paid Samsung factory repair if it soft bricks, I'm not sure but I think doc has enough on a rom now to help you out if you brick with cwm or twrp, and with the stock adb sideload support you might be able to push the stock recovery we pulled but you should definitely ask doc for specifics as to what he has to help you if something doesn't go right with a custom rom.
    Sent from my SGH-T999L using xda app-developers app
    Actually let me clarify I seriously doubt anyone besides doc has has been able to make a custom rom specifically for the T999L