Nexus 5 stutters and has audio distortion when using only YouTube

Search This thread

Ixlair

Dec 21, 2010
I'm on my third Nexus 5 that has had issues, and every single one of them have had this one. When using YouTube the video is jerky and stutters, and randomly there will be audio distortion and pops from the speaker. This is the third Nexus 5 I've had with this issue, and nothing I find can fix it. I can barely find any info on the internet about it.

From what I can tell it is limited to YouTube. The thing is, my old S2 on 4.1.2 had no such issue. None of my other electronics have any issues with YouTube to the degree this does. I'm past believing it is an issue with my phone(though it might be), because as I said, I'm on my third Nexus 5 with this issue.

Has anyone else had this issue? What are my options in trying to fix it? I've had such a bad experience with the Nexus line I'm close to giving up and buying a different phone. This is driving me crazy.

I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
What speed is your Internet connection? And i assume the app is up to date?
Again i have no problems here with mine

Ixlair

Dec 21, 2010
What speed is your Internet connection? And i assume the app is up to date?
Again i have no problems here with mine

App is up to date, and my internet speed is at least 10mbps. I have 30 at home and have the same issues. It does this at home, here at work, and on 4G. But it couldn't be the internet connection as it works fine on my old phone and other devices.

Here's some more info.

Stock, unrooted, stock kernel, 4.2.2. I've been tempted to root and unlock the boot loader to install a new kernel and see if that helps, but I'm not used to rooting Nexus devices and don't want to make it difficult to upgrade to 4.4.3 when its released. Hopefully that will fix this issue, but Google has been radio silent on it so I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
App is up to date, and my internet speed is at least 10mbps. I have 30 at home and have the same issues. It does this at home, here at work, and on 4G. But it couldn't be the internet connection as it works fine on my old phone and other devices.

Here's some more info.

Stock, unrooted, stock kernel, 4.2.2. I've been tempted to root and unlock the boot loader to install a new kernel and see if that helps, but I'm not used to rooting Nexus devices and don't want to make it difficult to upgrade to 4.4.3 when its released. Hopefully that will fix this issue, but Google has been radio silent on it so I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

I assume by 4.2.2 you meant 4.4.2 :)

Try clearing data and cache on the YouTube app, if that doesn't help try uninstalling/uninstalling updates and reinstalling/reupdating.

Ixlair

Dec 21, 2010
I assume by 4.2.2 you meant 4.4.2 :)

Try clearing data and cache on the YouTube app, if that doesn't help try uninstalling/uninstalling updates and reinstalling/reupdating.

Yeah, 4.4.2. Sorry. I've already tried that stuff. I've even tried factory resetting the phone. I'm seriously at a loss for what to do as far as fixing it.

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Yeah, 4.4.2. Sorry. I've already tried that stuff. I've even tried factory resetting the phone. I'm seriously at a loss for what to do as far as fixing it.

Are you certain that it isn't just the video being like that? If you've had this problem over a few devices, you're really unlucky. :(

Ixlair

Dec 21, 2010
If it was some sort of hardware issue I don't see why it would only affect YouTube. :eek:

Exactly. It's why I've ruled it out being a hardware issue, because this has happened to two other Nexus 5's I've been in possession of. It's so weird.

I've unlocked the bootloader, rooted it, all the fun stuff. I'm gonna try a new kernel to see if that will fix it.

Ixlair

Dec 21, 2010
Exactly. It's why I've ruled it out being a hardware issue, because this has happened to two other Nexus 5's I've been in possession of. It's so weird.

I've unlocked the bootloader, rooted it, all the fun stuff. I'm gonna try a new kernel to see if that will fix it.

Just an update, yep, that didn't work. Still happens. I think by the end of the year I'm going to get a different phone, I'm done dealing with this. I'll put it with it until then. Thanks for the help.

czacha234

Mar 15, 2010
Hamilton
I'm on my third Nexus 5 that has had issues, and every single one of them have had this one. When using YouTube the video is jerky and stutters, and randomly there will be audio distortion and pops from the speaker. This is the third Nexus 5 I've had with this issue, and nothing I find can fix it. I can barely find any info on the internet about it.

From what I can tell it is limited to YouTube. The thing is, my old S2 on 4.1.2 had no such issue. None of my other electronics have any issues with YouTube to the degree this does. I'm past believing it is an issue with my phone(though it might be), because as I said, I'm on my third Nexus 5 with this issue.

Has anyone else had this issue? What are my options in trying to fix it? I've had such a bad experience with the Nexus line I'm close to giving up and buying a different phone. This is driving me crazy.

I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Hiya,

Im having this issue as well. Some of the videos have disortion and stutters, but its not in youtube app. When I play videos form the websites it happens but, not in all of them. Dont know why some are ok and others dont. Sometimes its really annoying, especially when it stutters a lot in the playedback video. I do not know if its a hardware or a software issue.

EDIT:
Just checked the same video in Android Authority app and in Youtube app. In the first app audio stutters and being a wee bit choppy, in Yt however, everything is fine. Audio is clear, no stutters at all. So I assume its software issue and maybe audio codecs dont play well with third party apps. Also, I dont think there is a solution to this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts