Flashing wrong Recovery (hboot 2.22) wiped whole phone (including sd-card)

Search This thread

Klivarre

May 9, 2012
Munich
Hey folks,

have a huge problem here. I think i erased all the data of my girlfriend's phone -.-

I just wanted to clear her phone by setting it up with a custom stock rom withput bloatware.

I started to unlock the bootloader and flash a new recovery because i wanted to do a nandroid backup and use titanium to backup her data. But the problem started here. Her phone had the 4.4.2 OTA update --> HBoot 2.22 but I flashed TWRP 2.7.0.0 instead of 2.7.0.5 because i didn't know the fact that the partition layout changed. After flashing the recovery the internal sd card couldnt be found and twrp said "no OS installed" when i tried to reboot to the system. Well, the phone did boot to the system, but i think it made a background factory reset i didn't want to do ...

So now i had a clear System running, no apps, no contacts, nothing. At this point I didn't look at the sd card if the data there is erased, too.
I thought, when i flash a recovery which finds the sd card, maybe the system will be restored as before this procedure. So i flashed twrp 2.6.3.0 but again, no sd card. After that i tried cwm 6.0.3.6 (because i didnt know that there was a 6.0.4.7 ...) and cwm accepted the card. So i booted again into system but still there was a clear stock rom, with ... nothing.

THEN I looked into the sd card and ... nothing. Empty, everything got deleted, only the new made folders where there. No Pictures, no Music, nothing.

My girlfriend gonna kill me ...

I tried to rescue the data from the sd card, but different apps found nothing then the data, that is already on the sd card. No old pictures or old music. Thanks to MTP, i can't run a datarescue at my pc (or can i?).

Do you have any idea what i can do now? Is there any chance of getting the data from the sd card back? Or better, getting the old app data back?

Please help me guys, you are my last hope.

greetings,
patrick

Last edited:

lojak29

Aug 18, 2010
best of luck to you my friend

Im in the same exact boat to the T !!
Did the same thing almost identical to you , all because the development is so shabby and unclear with this particular phone its pathetic.
twrp website shows the latest recovery.img as 2.7.0.0 No mentioning of flashing a newer version
Theres only one thing at this point you can hope for Find the stock 4.4.2 ruu utility and run it... or get her a new phone.

Ive been at my pc for 8 hrs going blind and im done ill toss it before i spend another hour searching for a fix

I have multiple posts Noone cares here.
And i dont believe htc has the 4.4.2 ruu out yet

didierk

Apr 4, 2014
Hi Patrick

Having no backups and starting to change things in software is always a bad idea. Mobile phone, PC, etc. :p
On the other side, there are very nice tents today in case your girlfriend has locked you out of your home now :D
Consider it from this side, you tried something and bungled :crying: the phone/data - hopefully others will read this before they install the "old" recoveries on their new Hboot.
But I totally agree with you, these unofficial versions of the recoveries are really hard to find. As I was looking for the download link I've chosen the way through the xda thread.

regards

Klivarre

May 9, 2012
Munich
Thanks for your thoughts ;)
But luckily my girlfriend doesnt lock me out of home, because i had the backup from November ;)
Since then we didn't have made any greater activities so no real important pictures were made since then.

I thught of making a "newbie friendly" thread with important information about hboot 2.22 and the "hidden" recovery's from twrp and cwm.
Maybe this can help others to prevent such mistakes I did in the past.

Reactions: RuffBuster

RuffBuster

Feb 3, 2012
But luckily my girlfriend doesnt lock me out of home, because i had the backup from November ;)
Since then we didn't have made any greater activities so no real important pictures were made since then.

I thught of making a "newbie friendly" thread with important information about hboot 2.22 and the "hidden" recovery's from twrp and cwm.

Would be good to have this info in a sticky, as these posts can get buried easily.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.