Galaxy Nexus Rear Housing Replacement

Search This thread

lupipe

Jan 28, 2010
Split
I dropped mine yesterday as well and ended up here on a google search :p

Ordered the part you linked yesterday as well. Will update when it arrives.

It's the one in Link 2 in OP which at least has a report of it working out so I'm not too worried.

hmhm...It is not the same as from Link2 (Link2 is from ebay and it cost a lot more - 43.98$), the one i linked is from parts4repair and cost 25$..:confused:
correct me if I'm wrong..
so you took order from parts4repair?

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
Yeah, at this point I'm just patiently waiting on Parts4repair.com to start stocking the white rear housing so i can buy it from them.

lupipe

Jan 28, 2010
Split
Last edited:

naerok

Oct 3, 2011
ops now I don't get it anymore :confused: so please can u help me :eek:

in this video that is already in the first post (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC0Wo7a_FqI) on 1:33 minute i need this part that is in the left hand of the guy..

is that the same part like this one?

http://www.parts4repair.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-middle-housing-battery-door-cover/

really confused :confused:

I believe i need this one

http://www.parts4repair.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-middle-cover-chassis-housing/

right?

I'm pretty sure they are the same, one also includes a battery cover. My cover is fine and I also ordered the Google edition battery cover from ebay so I only ordered the "middle housing" item.

Also just got an email saying items were shipped with tracking. Will update when it gets here.

Reactions: lupipe

lupine

Sep 22, 2007
Svendborg
lupipe and naerok: Iam the one that confirmed link2 was working fine. It was in fact just the middle house frame as you are talking about, i ordered.

The Samsung repair tool kit they have, that costs almost nothing, also did the trick very well.

So you should be fine.

Reactions: lupipe

redrapt0r

Jan 12, 2011
Midlothian
Are there any tutorials on how the LTE/CDMA variant comes apart? I imagine its similar to the GSM one...

Also since VZN is releasing the Gnex in white, will the rear housing be different to accommodate the smaller storage? I would kill to have the real housing on my 32 gig :D

Feb 16, 2009
Columbus
Are there any tutorials on how the LTE/CDMA variant comes apart? I imagine its similar to the GSM one...

Also since VZN is releasing the Gnex in white, will the rear housing be different to accommodate the smaller storage? I would kill to have the real housing on my 32 gig :D

I actually just replaced my rear housing an hour or so ago. It took me all of 15 minutes. Remove 6 screws from under the battery cover > separate housing edges from screen area > pry out core. Super simple really. Then just pop the core into the new housing.

Also, if anyone is looking for the Verizon Gnex housing, I found a seller on eBay that is selling the OEM housing. Its EXACTLY the same inside and out and fits perfectly. Here is what I bought:
http://r.ebay.com/9iDEYo

I took a few pictures if anyone wants me to post them as well.

Reactions: mrkmrk and T4rd

4rs fed

Jan 23, 2011
I actually just replaced my rear housing an hour or so ago. It took me all of 15 minutes. Remove 6 screws from under the battery cover > separate housing edges from screen area > pry out core. Super simple really. Then just pop the core into the new housing.

Also, if anyone is looking for the Verizon Gnex housing, I found a seller on eBay that is selling the OEM housing. Its EXACTLY the same inside and out and fits perfectly. Here is what I bought:

Link does not work for me on my iPad, just lands me on eBay.com

Pictures would be awesome!

T4rd

Jun 15, 2010

Yes please! Please post! I will order one for mine then, I just want to see exactly what you got and how you replaced it (if possible). I saw the guide for the GSM G-Nex on ifixit.com and am just wondering if it was as hard for you to take off the rear housing as it was for them.

Also, I just put an XO skin on my phone, taking off the rear case shouldn't interfere with that, should it? Just don't want to start any peeling already.

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2009
Columbus
Sorry about the broken link, ebay shortened it for me.

I bought a tool kit from iFixIt and used the blue separators to separate the housing edges from the screen and then stuck a few guitar picks in the spaces. Do this all the way around and the phone core just pops right out. It looks exactly like this:
HkIZkbDMSlMnUa1V.huge
Then the core just snaps right into the new housing.
The new housing is ever so slightly darker/more matte than the original one, but I think that might just be due to wear. I actually like it better darker.

As for the pics, I didn't take any during the actual procedure, just of the parts.

_DSC0392.jpg

_DSC0393.jpg

LEFT = NEW / RIGHT = OLD
_DSC0395.jpg

TOP = NEW / BOTTOM = OLD
_DSC0398.jpg

_DSC0399%2520%2528edited%2529.jpg

Reactions: pmknking and T4rd

kyoteqwik

Mar 6, 2010
Asheville

Alright, just received my new housing this morning that I had purchased from the same seller that andydrives2fast listed. Just to second what he said in his post. This is the original OEM backing and fits perfectly. I tried to find differences on the inside of housing, but found none. Looks great again!

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Reactions: T4rd

jopherr

Oct 16, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Alright, just received my new housing this morning that I had purchased from the same seller that andydrives2fast listed. Just to second what he said in his post. This is the original OEM backing and fits perfectly. I tried to find differences on the inside of housing, but found none. Looks great again!

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Pictures please :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, I ordered this -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260901222...sid=p3984.m1542.l2649&clk_rvr_id=304792461469

And have installed it. Everything is working perfectly. Although, the two side by side are not identical.

Heres a few pics:

Tools which are included and shell:

DSC_2611.jpg

Front:

DSC_2612.jpg

Back:

DSC_2613.jpg

Side by Sides (New Left, old right):

DSC_2624.jpg

Old Left, new Right:

DSC_2622.jpg

Guts popped:

DSC_2619.jpg

Installed:

DSC_2626.jpg

DSC_2627.jpg

DSC_2628.jpg

DSC_2629.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg

DSC_2631.jpg

Took about five minutes and the damged shell is a thing of the past. All for about £25. :D
    I've started looking around the web to find places that sell the rear housing for the Galaxy Nexus i9250 (GSM version). I'm finding that the rear housing seems to be relatively cheap ($15-20). According to iFixit (step 6), the removal/installation of the rear housing is actually really easy.

Video tutorial (Thanks to snidrx). Rear housing removal is 1:19 - 1:33:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC0Wo7a_FqI

Necessary tools to replace rear housing can be found HERE for $3.50.

The GSM i9250 rear housing can be found at the below places:

Link 1 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 79)

Link 2 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 216)

Link 3

Link 4

The i515 (Verizon version) rear housing can be found at the below place:

Link 1 (Perfect fit confirmed in post 112 with pics)

It's been confirmed by superlj in post #86 that the eBay seller cellphone_parts is selling a rear housing for the GSM Galaxy Nexus that is missing key features which make it unusable. BE AWARE!

** If you have successfully purchased the rear housing for the i9250 or i515 please chime in and post the link to where you purchased the housing from.**

I just ordered this, some matalic green model paint and some primer. My housing has some good scratches from a drop but they aren't deep so the pan is to put the new housing on as is, then sand and paint the old housing a custom color. I'll let you guys know how it goes
    Sorry about the broken link, ebay shortened it for me.

I bought a tool kit from iFixIt and used the blue separators to separate the housing edges from the screen and then stuck a few guitar picks in the spaces. Do this all the way around and the phone core just pops right out. It looks exactly like this:
    HkIZkbDMSlMnUa1V.huge
    Then the core just snaps right into the new housing.
    The new housing is ever so slightly darker/more matte than the original one, but I think that might just be due to wear. I actually like it better darker.

As for the pics, I didn't take any during the actual procedure, just of the parts.

_DSC0392.jpg

_DSC0393.jpg

LEFT = NEW / RIGHT = OLD
    _DSC0395.jpg

TOP = NEW / BOTTOM = OLD
    _DSC0398.jpg

_DSC0399%2520%2528edited%2529.jpg