Frequently Asked Questions - HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel)

Search This thread

Sloth

Inactive RC / Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 23, 2012
Xda-Dev,NV
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: I'm new to all this rooting and modding stuff where should I start?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I Root/Unlock/Custom Recovery for my HTC Evo 4G LTE?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q3: What is S-OFF and how can I get it?[/SIZE]
s-off means security off
With s-off you can also flash radios/firmware, also splash screens and boot.img (kernel) from recovery with out using fastboot

How to s-off:
**Read the instructions carfefully easy to do
Facepalm Thanks jcace and beaups,
DirtyRacun (Linux ONLY Windows is no longer supported) Thanks Team Unlimited
[S-OFF] Moonshine S-OFF for 3.16.651.3 Thanks Fuses and Team Moonshine
[s-off] rumrunner s-off Thanks beaups and Fuses
[TOOL] WinDroid HTC EVO 4G LTE Toolkit v1.0 | Unlock | S-OFF | Root | Flash Thanks WindyCityRockr

[SIZE=+1]Q4: What is the recommended recovery?[/SIZE]
TWRP TeamWin Recovery Project
[jewel][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch
If you have updated to 4.3 with hboot 2.10 look here
[ROM][FIRMWARE][RECOVERY][STOCK] Sense 5, Android 4.3 Final Update - 4.13.651.4
CWM is no longer supported.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I want to go back to stock where can I find an RUU?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q6: How do I remove the red text on the splash screen?[/SIZE]
By following the steps located here [MOD | S-OFF] Remove Red HTC Developer Splash Screen Text

[SIZE=+1]Q7: How do I flash my custom recovery?[/SIZE]

Place the recovery.img in you folder where your adb is located, reboot your phone into bootloader and select fastboot plug the device into your computer. If you have the right drivers installed, your screen should now say FASTBOOT USB. Run the following command via the command line:

fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img In this command line make sure to rename recoveryfilename to which match the name of the the version you are using

example: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.x.x.x-jewel.img

after it has finished reboot​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: My PC won't connect to the phone by USB (for RUU, fastboot, adb, etc.), what do I do?[/SIZE]
Make sure you have the usb drivers installed, and or try another usb port.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: What is adb?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q10: If I'm S-ON how do I flash a boot.img via fastboot?[/SIZE]
On your computer, open the custom ROM zip using an unzip program (WinZip, WinRAR, etc.) and extract the file "boot.img" (no quotes). Place this file in the same folder as fastboot.exe..the command to flash a boot.img is fastboot flash boot boot.img​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: How do I update my radios/firmware?[/SIZE]

Firstly you MUST be S-OFF
Download the correct files from Captain_Throwback's [FIRMWARE][S-OFF] Jewel Firmware Collection
Rename PJ75IMG.zip
Move it to your External sd card
Boot into bootloader (press power + vol down at the same time, release power after 1-2 seconds while still holding vol down)
Once in bootloader you should be asked if you want to update
Follow the onscreen instructions on how to do so
Once it's done flashing you will be asked to reboot
Once you are booted to your OS use ES File Explorer or similar to delete the PJ75IMG.zip file

[SIZE=+1]Q12: How do I remove the useless bloatware?[/SIZE]
ROMCleaner is a great script for removing bloat.​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Are there any custom kernels for this device?[/SIZE]
Yes.
Arc-Reactor-Thicklizard
ElementalX-EVO-flar2
BulletProof-flar2​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: What are the different hboot versions and what are their differences?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q15: How do I get back to stock unrooted and have the latest bootloader?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q16: How do I get out of a bootloop with a PJ75IMG.zip file still on my sd card?[/SIZE]

Download THIS (ADB Tools) and extract it to your desktop/open the folder/press shift and right click and choose open command window here OR
from your android-sdk folder navigate to the platform-tools folder and open a cmd window (shift and right click within the folder and choose open command window here)
type adb reboot recovery
press enter
when in twrp choose mount
then choose mount usb storage
make sure external sd is chosen
then once mounted to your PC delete the PJ75IMG.zip file
unmount and reboot​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: How can I get a logcat to report problems to a Dev?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q18: Where can I find the latest HTC Drivers?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Q19: I wiped my system/OS how can I fix it?[/SIZE]
*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
Great job mate, thank you for your work.

To all that view this thread please offer bigdaddy619 more Q's with A's so this can build and be complete for all:good:

Reactions: Sloth

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
"How do I preform a search so that I don't need to ask the same questions that are being asked numerous times a day?"
Don't forget that one.

uploadfromtaptalk1367414747803.jpg

I kid, I kid.

;)

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: drlzanej and Sloth

ombobop

Dec 26, 2011
how long does it take to flash RUU? it is written about 10 minutes but mine is half an hour n it still hasnt boot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: I'm new to all this rooting and modding stuff where should I start?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I Root/Unlock/Custom Recovery for my HTC Evo 4G LTE?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q3: What is S-OFF and how can I get it?[/SIZE]
    s-off means security off
    With s-off you can also flash radios/firmware, also splash screens and boot.img (kernel) from recovery with out using fastboot

How to s-off:
    **Read the instructions carfefully easy to do
    Facepalm Thanks jcace and beaups,
    DirtyRacun (Linux ONLY Windows is no longer supported) Thanks Team Unlimited
    [S-OFF] Moonshine S-OFF for 3.16.651.3 Thanks Fuses and Team Moonshine
    [s-off] rumrunner s-off Thanks beaups and Fuses
    [TOOL] WinDroid HTC EVO 4G LTE Toolkit v1.0 | Unlock | S-OFF | Root | Flash Thanks WindyCityRockr

[SIZE=+1]Q4: What is the recommended recovery?[/SIZE]
    TWRP TeamWin Recovery Project
    [jewel][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch
    If you have updated to 4.3 with hboot 2.10 look here
    [ROM][FIRMWARE][RECOVERY][STOCK] Sense 5, Android 4.3 Final Update - 4.13.651.4
    CWM is no longer supported.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: I want to go back to stock where can I find an RUU?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q6: How do I remove the red text on the splash screen?[/SIZE]
    By following the steps located here [MOD | S-OFF] Remove Red HTC Developer Splash Screen Text

[SIZE=+1]Q7: How do I flash my custom recovery?[/SIZE]

Place the recovery.img in you folder where your adb is located, reboot your phone into bootloader and select fastboot plug the device into your computer. If you have the right drivers installed, your screen should now say FASTBOOT USB. Run the following command via the command line:

fastboot flash recovery recoveryfilename.img In this command line make sure to rename recoveryfilename to which match the name of the the version you are using

example: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.x.x.x-jewel.img

after it has finished reboot​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: My PC won't connect to the phone by USB (for RUU, fastboot, adb, etc.), what do I do?[/SIZE]
    Make sure you have the usb drivers installed, and or try another usb port.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: What is adb?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q10: If I'm S-ON how do I flash a boot.img via fastboot?[/SIZE]
    On your computer, open the custom ROM zip using an unzip program (WinZip, WinRAR, etc.) and extract the file "boot.img" (no quotes). Place this file in the same folder as fastboot.exe..the command to flash a boot.img is fastboot flash boot boot.img​

[SIZE=+1]Q11: How do I update my radios/firmware?[/SIZE]

Firstly you MUST be S-OFF
    Download the correct files from Captain_Throwback's [FIRMWARE][S-OFF] Jewel Firmware Collection
    Rename PJ75IMG.zip
    Move it to your External sd card
    Boot into bootloader (press power + vol down at the same time, release power after 1-2 seconds while still holding vol down)
    Once in bootloader you should be asked if you want to update
    Follow the onscreen instructions on how to do so
    Once it's done flashing you will be asked to reboot
    Once you are booted to your OS use ES File Explorer or similar to delete the PJ75IMG.zip file

[SIZE=+1]Q12: How do I remove the useless bloatware?[/SIZE]
    ROMCleaner is a great script for removing bloat.​

[SIZE=+1]Q13: Are there any custom kernels for this device?[/SIZE]
    Yes.
    Arc-Reactor-Thicklizard
    ElementalX-EVO-flar2
    BulletProof-flar2​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: What are the different hboot versions and what are their differences?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q15: How do I get back to stock unrooted and have the latest bootloader?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q16: How do I get out of a bootloop with a PJ75IMG.zip file still on my sd card?[/SIZE]

Download THIS (ADB Tools) and extract it to your desktop/open the folder/press shift and right click and choose open command window here OR
    from your android-sdk folder navigate to the platform-tools folder and open a cmd window (shift and right click within the folder and choose open command window here)
    type adb reboot recovery
    press enter
    when in twrp choose mount
    then choose mount usb storage
    make sure external sd is chosen
    then once mounted to your PC delete the PJ75IMG.zip file
    unmount and reboot​

[SIZE=+1]Q17: How can I get a logcat to report problems to a Dev?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q18: Where can I find the latest HTC Drivers?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]Q19: I wiped my system/OS how can I fix it?[/SIZE]
    *​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
    A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
    "How do I preform a search so that I don't need to ask the same questions that are being asked numerous times a day?"
    Don't forget that one.

uploadfromtaptalk1367414747803.jpg

I kid, I kid.

;)

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
    Added another question :D
    Don't forget that one.