[Beginners Guide] Rooting the AT&T GalaxyS3 the Easy Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Crey23

Oct 7, 2010
Ft. Lauderdale Florida
Skunk Ape1...this worked perfectly...Thank you!

I understand this tripped the flash counter, but it can be reversed right? How or what should I do ro reverse the counter in case of anything?

Thanks again!

John Redcorn

Apr 25, 2011
Thanks for the guide & zipfile, rooted my new-to-me gs3 a couple weeks ago with this and had CM running within 20 mins of this phone being in my hand.

Couple questions for OP or anyone who may know and could lend their time to a reply:

1. rom manager does not see that cwm is installed. I searched the thread and found a post by the OP about flashing a newer cwm via cwm but he edited and removed the link as it may have not worked for someone.

Is there a way to make rom manager see that cwm-t is installed and not have to flash non touch cwm with rom mgr? I like to use rom manager mainly just to be able to name backups.

2. if I make a backup straight from cwm it gets named after the date but the date is in 1970, is that normal? I've used cwm a lot on my old inspire so I'm used to the date-name but the inspire was always correct in the date/time (it was gmt though)

edit: a bonus 3rd question: I've never used twrp or any other recovery than cwm, but I'm seeing on google that twrp might do backups in cwm's old style where everything is stored in every backup, no incremental /blobs dir. Is that true? I would like this better than cwm's new way. Does it function about like cwm in every other way? It'll be easy to figure out how to wipe a partition or 2 or most other stuff in cwm? Does it have an in-OS front end like rom mgr? I like to restore apps/appdata out of cwm backups with titanium, can titanium do this from twrp backups?

Last edited:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
Thanks for the guide & zipfile, rooted my new-to-me gs3 a couple weeks ago with this and had CM running within 20 mins of this phone being in my hand.

Couple questions for OP or anyone who may know and could lend their time to a reply:

1. rom manager does not see that cwm is installed. I searched the thread and found a post by the OP about flashing a newer cwm via cwm but he edited and removed the link as it may have not worked for someone.

Is there a way to make rom manager see that cwm-t is installed and not have to flash non touch cwm with rom mgr? I like to use rom manager mainly just to be able to name backups.

2. if I make a backup straight from cwm it gets named after the date but the date is in 1970, is that normal? I've used cwm a lot on my old inspire so I'm used to the date-name but the inspire was always correct in the date/time (it was gmt though)

edit: a bonus 3rd question: I've never used twrp or any other recovery than cwm, but I'm seeing on google that twrp might do backups in cwm's old style where everything is stored in every backup, no incremental /blobs dir. Is that true? I would like this better than cwm's new way. Does it function about like cwm in every other way? It'll be easy to figure out how to wipe a partition or 2 or most other stuff in cwm? Does it have an in-OS front end like rom mgr? I like to restore apps/appdata out of cwm backups with titanium, can titanium do this from twrp backups?

Yes twrp has a single file backup. You can also choose to compress the backups to make them smaller. There are lots of things that make me like twrp over cwm. The backups are just one of them.

I don't restore data so I don't know but I know that it had the ability to do custom restores. It has probably more functions than cwm.

As for ROM manager I think it's one the worst things to happen to the dev community. But there are similar apps that work with twrp.

Reactions: John Redcorn

Gliptor

May 28, 2011
Works but maybe a hiccup for some?

I want to start with thank you very much and it worked like a charm. Nice and easy! Which is what I needed because I have limited exp so the following may not really apply. Please let me know if this is possible or not just in case it helps someone else.

After following this guide and successfully installing a working root and CWM recovery I tried installed ☆ ★ | ROM | SynergyROM AT&T S3 | JB 4.1.2 | Multiwindow | PDroid | Mar 30 r443 |★ ☆

It has a fancy custom installer launched through CWM. It has the ability to work on a variety of SGS3 like ATT,Sprint,Verizon,etc all within the same file download and it "auto" choses the correct version to install based on the CWM recovery you have installed on your phone.

I use ATT roms with the d2att from the forums here and yada yada yada ....long story of a new guy is the flash auto installed SPRINT onto my device. I'm not bricked or anything but data service is a mess and device model number is changed in my about device section etc. I'm going back to stock again right now and killing time as i DL the latest stock att rom.

Anyways, question to the team is "Is the CWM recovery in this guide a Sprint one which happens to work on Att which may lead to an auto installer miss identifying what model phone you are using?" Another example would be ROM manager now sees me as d2sprint when I try to update CWM.

Just wanted to throw my recent exp in. I may be on glue but after a few hours of head scratching this is what I think happened. I'd love to know if there may be a hint of truth to this or if I'm on glue :) The guide did work as claimed and I am very happy with it, probably a 1 out of 100 chance I chose to follow up installing with a flash that id my device by CWM somehow. If that is even possible.

Hope this helps someone if they are scratching there head with an ATT phone which evolved to Sprint :)

If there is no possible way this happened to me let me know or delete this post so that way noone gets confused by my lack of knowledge on these subjects. Thanks to everyone here who works hard with these phones, this is an amazing resource! Cheers! :good:

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
I want to start with thank you very much and it worked like a charm. Nice and easy! Which is what I needed because I have limited exp so the following may not really apply. Please let me know if this is possible or not just in case it helps someone else.

After following this guide and successfully installing a working root and CWM recovery I tried installed ☆ ★ | ROM | SynergyROM AT&T S3 | JB 4.1.2 | Multiwindow | PDroid | Mar 30 r443 |★ ☆

It has a fancy custom installer launched through CWM. It has the ability to work on a variety of SGS3 like ATT,Sprint,Verizon,etc all within the same file download and it "auto" choses the correct version to install based on the CWM recovery you have installed on your phone.

I use ATT roms with the d2att from the forums here and yada yada yada ....long story of a new guy is the flash auto installed SPRINT onto my device. I'm not bricked or anything but data service is a mess and device model number is changed in my about device section etc. I'm going back to stock again right now and killing time as i DL the latest stock att rom.

Anyways, question to the team is "Is the CWM recovery in this guide a Sprint one which happens to work on Att which may lead to an auto installer miss identifying what model phone you are using?" Another example would be ROM manager now sees me as d2sprint when I try to update CWM.

Just wanted to throw my recent exp in. I may be on glue but after a few hours of head scratching this is what I think happened. I'd love to know if there may be a hint of truth to this or if I'm on glue :) The guide did work as claimed and I am very happy with it, probably a 1 out of 100 chance I chose to follow up installing with a flash that id my device by CWM somehow. If that is even possible.

Hope this helps someone if they are scratching there head with an ATT phone which evolved to Sprint :)

If there is no possible way this happened to me let me know or delete this post so that way noone gets confused by my lack of knowledge on these subjects. Thanks to everyone here who works hard with these phones, this is an amazing resource! Cheers! :good:

No this is an official cwm recovery for att. You flashed a Sprint ROM and about the only way to fix it is with a jtag device. You made a mistake. Warnings about doing this are in almost every ROM thread.

Reactions: epsix

Mata Leao

Apr 21, 2013
San Francisco
As a noob to rooting and ROMs all I can say is thank you. You made it painless and easy, and gave me the confidence to go further. Without you, I wouldnt be running an AOKP 4.2.2 ROM right now. Again, thank you

bodom09

Apr 23, 2013

Hey I did the whole process to root my At&t galaxys3 SGHI747. But when tryin to install synergyrom it detects my phone as a sprint model.. im lost how do I fix this

toolegit

Oct 31, 2009
Sorry, this is for the at&t galaxy s3. This guide was originally written for the Sprint but I replaced CWM 6.0.1.2 with 6.0.1.4 to make it compatible with the at&t. The rest is identical. I thought I had cleaned up the guide. I guess I missed a few references. I will clean it up after work tonight to get rid of any confusion. Thanks very much for the heads up...

So, to be clear, this is the same procedure as rooting a Sprint GS3? My son and I have the same phone, I'm on Sprint and rooted and he's on AT&T and stock. He wants me to root and I want to ensure that when it looks a lot like what I did for mine (with the exception of CWM being a different version) I'm not screwing something up.

Skunk Ape1

Nov 26, 2011
Killeen
So, to be clear, this is the same procedure as rooting a Sprint GS3? My son and I have the same phone, I'm on Sprint and rooted and he's on AT&T and stock. He wants me to root and I want to ensure that when it looks a lot like what I did for mine (with the exception of CWM being a different version) I'm not screwing something up.

The same exact procedure. Only the one file is different.

Reactions: toolegit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide deleted....
    Okay, I've taken the time to tinker with Heimdall a bit to get the partition identifiers from my own phone (which matches up from the info from this old thread), and have put together the following, which seems to work for me. This was with Heimdall 1.4-rc1; I think earlier versions don't accept numeric identifiers.

You'd probably better have a plan on hand to get things back to normal if this doesn't work (I'm not responsible for your bricking your own device if this doesn't work).

You'll need to extract the .tar image before using this; if you're at a command line,
    Code:
    tar xf <image>.tar
    should suffice to do that. You'll end up with the following files:
    Code:
    aboot.mbn
    boot.img
    cache.img.ext4
    NON-HLOS.bin
    recovery.img
    rpm.mbn
    sbl2.mbn
    sbl3.mbn
    system.img.ext4
    tz.mbn
    Afterwards, boot your phone into download mode (from a powered-down phone, Vol Down + Home + Power Button until you see the Samsung logo) and make sure you're completely ready and have backups and all before you run the following (I'm not going to be held responsible for you bricking your own phone and being unable to recover from it afterwards):

Code:
    heimdall flash --1 NON-HLOS.bin --3 sbl2.mbn --4 sbl3.mbn --5 aboot.mbn --6 rpm.mbn --7 boot.img --8 tz.mbn --14 system.img.ext4 --17 cache.img.ext4 --18 recovery.img

You should be able to get away with flashing only some of those images instead of all of them (in particular, if you have a third party recovery from somewhere, you might want to omit the recovery image); that said, if you're only flashing some of the specified images as opposed to all of them, I'm almost certain it will trip the flash counter. (I don't know if flashing *everything* will trip the flash counter or not, though, seeing as I deliberately did not flash the recovery during my own test for ease of restoring my phone to its normal happy state.)
    Does this method trip the flash counter? :confused:

Yes it does. But it's not an issue. Just run triangle away just before going back to stock and it will reset you back to zero.

See the instructions to unroot and return to stock.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=215018
    Jelly bean ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Yes... It will work with Jellybean. This method does not install a prerooted image tar. So it will root whatever Is on your phone without any regard. It simply installs custom recovery and root.
    Thanks man! Followed the guide on GalaxyS3Root.com after updating Jelly bean and it failed. This one works perfectly on my AT&T GS3! Cheers!

No problem... the at&t guys on Android Central have been using my guide to root their phones for quite some time now. So I know it works. Glad you were successful. :D