Bright spot on top of screen

Search This thread

KennethTang

Jan 5, 2010
Hey Guys, I'm a New Nexus 5 user here..
Recently, there's this irritating bright spot on my screen.. at the top of the notification bar..

10291835_10152203412084635_2280834369278209125_n.jpg

10262247_10152203412314635_7160081245243077831_n.jpg

What's the cause of the problem and if there's any advice?

I can't RMA cause it bought it from another person

raptir

May 4, 2010
Hey Guys, I'm a New Nexus 5 user here..
Recently, there's this irritating bright spot on my screen.. at the top of the notification bar..

10291835_10152203412084635_2280834369278209125_n.jpg

10262247_10152203412314635_7160081245243077831_n.jpg

What's the cause of the problem and if there's any advice?

I can't RMA cause it bought it from another person

Are you talking about the variation in the backlight? That's not uncommon, it's just the degree that can become an issue. If it really bothers you you could try calling Google, they may still honor the warranty if it was purchased from them originally.

KennethTang

Jan 5, 2010
Are you talking about the variation in the backlight? That's not uncommon, it's just the degree that can become an issue. If it really bothers you you could try calling Google, they may still honor the warranty if it was purchased from them originally.

hi, not a variation in the back light but a stuck white pixel at the notification bar, i think it's called a hot pixel..

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
There are methods of trying to unstick stuck pixels. Mostly using apps and background colours...

They're also not likely to fix anything, pixels being a hardware issue. Though some have claimed it's worked for them I would argue the validity of those claims.

If software could fix pixels, I think there would be recorded evidence of such by now.

Last edited:

raptir

May 4, 2010
They're also not likely to fix anything, pixels being a hardware issue. Though some have claimed it's worked for them I would argue the validity of those claims.

If software could fix pixels, I think there would be recorded evidence of such by now.

You can absolutely fix stuck pixels by cycling colors on an LCD display. Dead pixels cannot be fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_pixel#Stuck_versus_dead_pixels

I've personally fixed a stuck pixel via jScreenFix.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
You can absolutely fix stuck pixels by cycling colors on an LCD display. Dead pixels cannot be fixed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_pixel#Stuck_versus_dead_pixels

I've personally fixed a stuck pixel via jScreenFix.

I guess it might be possible in rare cases where maybe it would have fixed itself over time anyways. Never worked with stuck pixels in my experience, however.

I just find it suspicious that there are 100's of websites talking about how to attempt it, but no recorded evidence of it actually working. It seems almost like an LCD industry conspiracy, but I guess I'm just a skeptic at heart.

Last edited:

raptir

May 4, 2010
I guess it might be possible in rare cases where it may have fixed itself over time anyways. Never worked with stuck pixels in my experience, however.

I just find it suspicious that there are 100's of websites talking about how to attempt it, but no recorded evidence of it actually working. It seems almost like an LCD industry conspiracy, but I guess I'm just a skeptic at heart.

The LCD industry conspiracy would be the fact that there's been no real study on it. They want you to buy a new screen/phone rather than have an option to fix your display with no cost to the user.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
The LCD industry conspiracy would be the fact that there's been no real study on it. They want you to buy a new screen/phone rather than have an option to fix your display with no cost to the user.

Guess I never saw it that way. Phones can be returned for stuck pixels, though generally any LCD monitor will need 5-7 broken pixels to qualify for RMA. This makes buyers such as myself wary of spending hundreds of dollars on a potential defective screen that most likely will never be fixed.

However, If there was a misconception that the issue could be solved via software, buyer confidence would be higher and potentially lead to more sales.

raptir

May 4, 2010
Guess I never saw it that way. Phones can be returned for stuck pixels, though generally any LCD monitor will need 5-7 broken pixels to qualify for RMA. This makes buyers such as myself wary of spending hundreds of dollars on a potential defective screen that most likely will never be fixed.

However, If there was a misconception that the issue could be solved via software, buyer confidence would be higher and potentially lead to more sales.

So you think people are just not buying smartphones/laptops/TVs/tablets because they're worried about stuck pixels?

Uhh...

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
So you think people are just not buying smartphones/laptops/TVs/tablets because they're worried about stuck pixels?

Uhh...

If someone is aware the product they're buying has a relatively high chance of arriving defective, and that they have zero options to fix or return the product, who in their right mind wouldn't think twice about making that purchase?

raptir

May 4, 2010
If someone is aware the product they're buying has a relatively high chance of arriving defective, and that they have zero options to fix or return the product, who in their right mind wouldn't think twice about making that purchase?

That logic only works assuming there's an alternative. Every laptop/tablet/ereader/smartphone uses LCD, AMOLED or eInk technology, and all of them have a chance of having dead or stuck pixels. If you want to own a laptop/tablet/ereader/smartphone you have to deal with the possibility of it shipping with or later developing dead or stuck pixels.

It's all irrelevant though because very few companies still require large numbers of dead/stuck pixels on a new device. Lenovo, HP and Dell all have no-questions-asked return/exchange policies now, so they will replace a device for a single dead pixel. Asus was one of the first to implement a specific no dead/stuck pixel policy. Most retailers will exchange a device for a single dead pixel, including Google.

What I was referencing originally though was more about developing dead/stuck pixels after purchase, and possibly after the warranty has expired. If there were an easy way to fix stuck pixels that would stop some people from buying new devices.

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
I have something similar lighting issues just like OP. But for me the right half of the righ of the screen brighter and there is a bigger bright area at the bottom right. It really anoys me that I payed for 550 usd for a phone and the screen is just like that :(.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én GT-P1000-el